Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Fairly typical! My finest (worst) moments on here have involved flights and drinking!
That's allowed. Rory. Once you weren't forcing drink on the 2 Brady boys and their fellow squad members.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd take a draw from Wales very happily at this stage. I like Duffy and Clark a lot - they've both improved massively this season. Even though Keogh had a good game vs Serbia (?), he still scares me. Alex Pearce has always looked dodgy too. John Egan has apparently had a good season but it would be surprising if Martin threw him in versus Wales - likewise with Andy Boyle.

Meyler should definitely start for me the next day too. When Whelan went off injured vs Austria. he played brilliant. When McCarthy is playing rubbish for Ireland, Meyler gives us the physique and mileage in midfield. With Wes, Brady and Arter looking unlikely - I suppose we have to pray for a route one special the next day...

Just a last note - why the feck is Doyle still being called up?! I think it would be far more beneficial to call up Sean Maguire or some young lad from League 1 / League 2. For a guy that's doing brilliantly in LoI, it would give the player and the league a nice boost. It's absolutely pointless bringing Doyle.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
More importantly any news of when we're free from the contract with Umbro and get someone decent to make our kits?

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Flying home for this one. Can't wait, atmosphere will be superb. Come away with a point and we're looking good I think. McGeady has to play on current form. With Wes out it's either going to be Hendrick or McClean in behind Long. McClean just nips it for me, could be good to see some fluidity between the McWalters trio.

Randolph

Coleman
Keogh
O'Shea
Ward

Whelan
McCarthy/Meyler

McGeady
McClean
Walters

Long

Red Ryan

Feck off, Umbro kits are lovely. Miles better than any template shit Nike or Adidas would give us.
You reckon? Not a fan myself but each to their own, still hankering back to the glory of days of us under Big Jack in quality Adidas gear.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
You reckon? Not a fan myself but each to their own, still hankering back to the glory of days of us under Big Jack in quality Adidas gear.
Yes there have been some absolute beauties in recent years imo. Current one maybe aren't the greatest but the 2014, 2012, 2010 for example have all been nice. The last two black kits we've had have been great. All unique kits as well. I'd much rather have them then showing up to tournaments with the exact same shirts as every other team. Like England, France, USA etc. all have the exact same kits, do you really want to just have the same one as well but with some green sleeves. No thanks from me.

Red Ryan

Yes there have been some absolute beauties in recent years imo. Current one maybe aren't the greatest but the 2014, 2012, 2010 for example have all been nice. The last two black kits we've had have been great. All unique kits as well. I'd much rather have them then showing up to tournaments with the exact same shirts as every other team. Like England, France, USA etc. all have the exact same kits, do you really want to just have the same one as well but with some green sleeves. No thanks from me.
Nobody had the same kit in Euro 88 or Italia 90 as us did they in different colours? I think it's only Nike who have done the template for their main teams recently. Adidas tend to give their teams a unique enough jersey from what I can tell. Maybe we should be patriotic and let O'Neill's have a craic at it...

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Wow. Tough week for McClean. You'd worry for him on Friday. He'll either stick one in the top corner from 30 yards or actually kill somebody.

Eire Red United

Wow. Tough week for McClean. You'd worry for him on Friday. He'll either stick one in the top corner from 30 yards or actually kill somebody.
My money would be on both. Hopefully James puts in a performance to make the men who have sadly passed away this week proud.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
McClean will bust his balls tonight for Ryan McBride. In the back of my head im thinking it could mean he hits someone with a bad tackle but I don't think he would let himself down like that! Hopefully everyone is fired up for this, we will need to be with the players we have available. Feck the draw, hit them for an early goal and defend for our lives :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
Aye, that'll hurt us. From the little I've seen and what I've read, Austria can be gotten at at the back so to have our busiest striker out isn't ideal.

Zebs

Do we play more or less attractive football than we did under Trap? I recorded last night's game as I was out and then watched it in fast-forward mode as the quality of football was dogshit. But I've managed to wipe Trap's reign from memory so I can't remember if we were much worse then or not.

That said, win draw win and we're pretty much safe for a playoff spot. Three wins in our next three games (wishful thinking?) and we top the group.

Robbie Boy

We were wank in the first half but much better in the second. I wish king Walters was 10 years younger!

Zebs

We were wank in the first half but much better in the second. I wish king Walters was 10 years younger!
People have just discovered his middle name is Ronald. Making him Jonny Ronnie Walters. Can't believe we've wasted all these years not calling him that.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Do we play more or less attractive football than we did under Trap? I recorded last night's game as I was out and then watched it in fast-forward mode as the quality of football was dogshit. But I've managed to wipe Trap's reign from memory so I can't remember if we were much worse then or not.
Think we are pretty much the same, Some games we get a surprise and play the odd bit of decent football but not too often

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
People have just discovered his middle name is Ronald. Making him Jonny Ronnie Walters. Can't believe we've wasted all these years not calling him that.
Jon Ron.... J-Ron Walters.... JR WALTERS...

I didn't watch the first half because I was watching Galway Mayo. Second half last half was decent.

Robbie Boy

Christ, he was meant to be hot shit and the next big thing at Arsenal. Still only 19, so maybe he can push on from here.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Nice to see him go abroad tbh. I used to read some Barnsley and Oxford forums cus they also had/have Ben Pearson and Joe Rothwell respectively and the consensus was always that Crowley is a really talented player but just got bullied by the physicality and couldn't impose himself. No clue how he did at Go Ahead Eagles but maybe he'll fair better in a less physical league than down the leagues in England.

Zebs

3 weeks in England and Maguire gets the call-up. :lol:

WhoDaGOAT

Long

Hourihane

McClean Arter Meyler Walters

Brady Clark Duffy Christie

Randolph
Hoping that MON is brave and goes for something like this tomorrow night. We can afford to draw 1-1, but we need to see a response. Get at them.

Eire Red United

Long

Hourihane

McClean Arter Meyler Walters

Brady Clark Duffy Christie

Randolph
Hoping that MON is brave and goes for something like this tomorrow night. We can afford to draw 1-1, but we need to see a response. Get at them.
Feck we really need to win tomorrow night. That performance was a disgrace

WhoDaGOAT

Feck we really need to win tomorrow night. That performance was a disgrace
I'd start Wes if he's well enough. It's going to be tough, but we have to draw on inspiration from The North and Scotland's recent resurgence.

Luxembourg drew 0-0 in France, so we have to believe at home.

Feck Matić. For one night anyway. ;)

Zebs

McGeady and Hendrick both out. Hoolahan fit.

Randolph

Christie
Duffy
Clark
Brady

Whelan
Arter
Hoolahan

Walters
Long
McClean

Please.

WhoDaGOAT

So... we're now depending on Georgia to do us a favour against Wales next time out. They're in good form, so who knows.

One thing is for sure, there needs to be an injection of new faces after this campaign. Hoolahan, Walters and Whelan have come to the end. Maybe Ward too.

Liam Kelly of Reading is our best young prospect at the moment. He's doing very well under Jaap Stam. Ryan Manning is doing okay at QPR as well.

Both are just 21.

Between Meyler, Hendrick, Arter, McCarthy and Brady, the middle of the park isn't looking too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.