Reserve rankings on the day Ten Hag takes charge

NoPace

Would be curious to see how the reverse, loan and academy watchers would rank say, the players in term of likelihood to play 100 games for Ten Hag, so any age currently. Obviously it's safe to assume he'll want to play a fairly Ajax/Guardiola ball possession style, and take into account where the first team has good young or not old players (Sancho, Bruno, uh...).

Also in a few years we get to see who is right. I've seen a ton of the every touch compilations but only watch 1-2 games a year so wouldn't venture a proper opinion apart from guesses. I definitely thought Sean Goss would be a first teamer based on his comps for instance.

lysglimt

Scout
If we start from our own ranks:

Goalkeepers: no chance

Defenders: if we are judging only the U18s and U23 (I cant speak for the U16s etc) - only Fernandez has a decent chance, and due do our inconsistent full-back, he actually stands a good chance. But I feel he is more at home in a 3-5-2. If we were playing like Chelsea, he would stand a much better chance. I see no other defenders with a real chance. 18-24 months ago I would say Fish and Mengi both had a very good chance, but I don't anymore. None of them have taken the steps I hoped they would. Kambwala has the talent but looks too injury-prone

Midfielders: A lot of players with a chance - in fact Ten Haag will probably glee at the prospect of these players, as they all seem like his kind of players. We currently have 10 players who all have the talent of taking the step up - but realistically there can at best be room for 2-3 of them. So who do you pick as most likely ? Mainoo, Gore, Shoretire and Hannibal probably - but Forson, Oyadele, Hansen Aaroen and Savage to name a few more - all can do it.

Strikers: this is tough - but I would rate Garnacho as likely to succeed, and I also believe McNeill can do it simply because he is so lethal in front of goal. If McNeill had been just a fraction quicker I would rate him as likely as well.

So - I would say these have the best chances. Fernandez, Mainoo, Gore, Shoretire, Hannibal and Garnacho - but I would not be surprised if someone likes McNeill, Hansen Aaroen, Forson or Savage succeeds instead

Loan-players:

Levitt has impressed me a lot - is he good enough ? Probably not, but he has shown enough in Scotland that he will end up playing for a big club

Garner - I believe he will be a regular for us.

Laird - good enough, but I doubt it due to his constant injuries.

Can't see anyone else in with a shout.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Defenders: if we are judging only the U18s and U23 (I cant speak for the U16s etc) - only Fernandez has a decent chance, and due do our inconsistent full-back, he actually stands a good chance. But I feel he is more at home in a 3-5-2. If we were playing like Chelsea, he would stand a much better chance. I see no other defenders with a real chance. 18-24 months ago I would say Fish and Mengi both had a very good chance, but I don't anymore. None of them have taken the steps I hoped they would. Kambwala has the talent but looks too injury-prone

Midfielders: A lot of players with a chance - in fact Ten Haag will probably glee at the prospect of these players, as they all seem like his kind of players. We currently have 10 players who all have the talent of taking the step up - but realistically there can at best be room for 2-3 of them. So who do you pick as most likely ? Mainoo, Gore, Shoretire and Hannibal probably - but Forson, Oyadele, Hansen Aaroen and Savage to name a few more - all can do it.

Strikers: this is tough - but I would rate Garnacho as likely to succeed, and I also believe McNeill can do it simply because he is so lethal in front of goal. If McNeill had been just a fraction quicker I would rate him as likely as well.

So - I would say these have the best chances. Fernandez, Mainoo, Gore, Shoretire, Hannibal and Garnacho - but I would not be surprised if someone likes McNeill, Hansen Aaroen, Forson or Savage succeeds instead

Loan-players:

Levitt has impressed me a lot - is he good enough ? Probably not, but he has shown enough in Scotland that he will end up playing for a big club

Good read that, thanks.

Demaw

also, I think gk Vitek will be a chance in the future. Central defender Willy K if he gets over his injuries and Sam Mather has something about him as well.

dutchred

also, I think gk Vitek will be a chance in the future. Central defender Willy K if he gets over his injuries and Sam Mather has something about him as well.
Gore and Mainoo

lysglimt

Scout
Goalkeepers realistically never get a chance unless they are something exceptionally special. He needs to go out on loan for a few season first, but is he good enough to replace de Gea - nah

Sea-Cow

Loan-players:

Good summary. You don't have high hopes for Jurado? And what about that new lad from Brighton? Have you just not seen enough of him yet, or is he not good enough?

Thanks

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Good summary. You don't have high hopes for Jurado? And what about that new lad from Brighton? Have you just not seen enough of him yet, or is he not good enough?

Thanks
Toby Collyer has only played two games both as sub. He got 15 mins in the first and 30 mins in the second.

Nobody has seen enough of him in a United shirt to make any judgement at all.

L1nk

Loan-players:

Good read this thanks. I would maybe say though the way ETH uses his fullbacks could be interesting when making a case for Fernandez or other fullbacks at the club after he arrives

tomaldinho1

Slightly pessimistic but none. I feel if ETH does as we hope i.e. we become a top four nailed on regular again and start challenging for the league in 2-3 years, even players like Garner who looks promising are going to find it hard to get 100 apps because we’ll be looking at elite players in his position. Issue these days is as soon as a player looks half decent, they’ll be off with promises of more game time unless they’re absolutely class from a young age.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Rarely has the top prospect coming out of the academy been the one to eventually succeed. It's always a player you never really considered.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think Garner will be a squad player with a slight chance at being a starter but I don't see that level of potential (to be a starter for a title challenging team). Mengi might get a squad role for a bit but doubt he ever becomes a starter. Hannibal you would say has the talent for sure. Garnacho heard good things but it's always a tough ask making the step up to be a top attacker.

I don't really see it with Shoretire, looks ok at best but nothing exceptional about him that you need to make the step up in his position, Amad continuously looks too small for me.

So from the current group that are close ish, Garner, Hannibal and Garnacho the only ones IMO, and even then I think Hannibal is the only one who becomes a regular just based on odds.

In Rainbows

I'm most confident of Hannibal. I think Garner can be a squad player, but he's talented enough to be more than that. Laird can do it if he overcomes his injuries.

Mainoo, Aaroen, Mcneill, and Shoretire can do it, but they need to do more for there to be any confidence. We'll have more evidence a year from now as a couple are still u18 players. Most players fail, so it's more likely that almost all of these names will fail. The best compliment you can give a young player is to say they have a chance. If you're talented and are not just a positively contributing member of the youth teams, but are also one of the better players, you have a chance. But a small chance is all it is. I feel many don't contextualize what performing well for the youth teams mean. The first division players are the best of the best. Simply being a good player at youth level isn't good enough.

lysglimt

Scout
Toby Collyer has only played two games both as sub. He got 15 mins in the first and 30 mins in the second.

Nobody has seen enough of him in a United shirt to make any judgement at all.
This!

lysglimt

Scout

Thanks
Jurado looks a decent player - but he never stands out for me. I never watch Jurado and think - he has that little extra. I am very critical of Fernandez defensively, but he can easily be our TAA, that despite being poor defensively, he more than makes up for it by offering so much going forward.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Rarely has the top prospect coming out of the academy been the one to eventually succeed. It's always a player you never really considered.
That really just isn't the case though.

If you look at all the academy graduates in the past 20 years to play a considerable amount for the first team you'll find that almost all of them were among the top players in their year group and often were either u18s or reserves players of the year.

Darren Fletcher - Fergie wanted to give him a debut at 15, reserves player of the year.
Jonny Evans - highly rated and compared at the time to Brown and O'Shea who had come just before him, was a full international before making his debut
Wes Brown - 2x young player of the year
John O'Shea - reserves player of the year
Danny Welbeck - u18s player of the year, England youth through the ranks
Tom Cleverley - is one you can maybe it say it about as by all means he was a bit of a late bloomer and really kicked on ~19 in the reserves and his loans
Darron Gibson - u18s player of the year
Adnan Januzaj - reserves player of the year and by far the best player in his time
Marcus Rashford - u18s player of the year, by far best attacker in his age group, was in the Telegraph's list of best first year scholars, played above his age for England etc.
Mason Greenwood - the best player the academy has seen in decades
Paul Pogba - clearly one of the best
Axel Tuanzebe - u18s and reserves player of the year
Andreas Pereira - reserves player of the year
Jesse Lingard - wasn't the top prospect but he was apart of the best youth team in the country and was still a regular, had England youth caps, and was name checked by Fergie to be a late bloomer due to his size so he was highly rated by the club
Scott McTominay - was indeed a completely average youth player. Although his age group were so shit he was still seen as probably the best midfielder in the group.

I think that's pretty much all of them and from a list of 15 players, only 2 can be categorised as never considered.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

If you look at all the academy graduates in the past 20 years to play a considerable amount for the first team you'll find that almost all of them were among the top players in their year group and often were either u18s or reserves players of the year.

Darren Fletcher - Fergie wanted to give him a debut at 15, reserves player of the year.
Jonny Evans - highly rated and compared at the time to Brown and O'Shea who had come just before him, was a full international before making his debut
Tom Cleverley - is one you can maybe it say it about as by all means he was a bit of a late bloomer and really kicked on ~19 in the reserves and his loans
Adnan Januzaj - reserves player of the year and by far the best player in his time
Marcus Rashford - u18s player of the year, by far best attacker in his age group, was in the Telegraph's list of best first year scholars, played above his age for England etc.
Jesse Lingard - wasn't the top prospect but he was apart of the best youth team in the country and was still a regular, had England youth caps, and was name checked by Fergie to be a late bloomer due to his size so he was highly rated by the club
Scott McTominay - was indeed a completely average youth player. Although his age group were so shit he was still seen as probably the best midfielder in the group.

I think that's pretty much all of them and from a list of 15 players, only 2 can be categorised as never considered.
I was thinking more of the likes of James Wilson, Will Keane, Ben Pearson etc..

If you look at who won the Under 23 player of the year for example. Names like Borthwick-Jackson, Mitchell, Chong, Chester never amounted to anything.

People like Rashford and McTominay were not talked about on a wider scale. A lot of those names arguably failed at the club as well though I’ll accept Greenwood and Pogba went from most hyped youngster to realising it.

In Rainbows

If you look at who won the Under 23 player of the year for example. Names like Borthwick-Jackson, Mitchell, Chong, Chester never amounted to anything.

People like Rashford and McTominay were not talked about on a wider scale. A lot of those names arguably failed at the club as well though I’ll accept Greenwood and Pogba went from most hyped youngster to realising it.
Rashford was talked about. McTominay wasn't. Rashford just didn't have the hype of Wilson, or Greenwood because his goal scoring record was not as good as theirs. Rashford had some adjusting to do with his new role as a striker, but the following season (the season he got his first team appearances), he improved a lot. He scored 1 in 2 I think (maybe better, I can't remember). Which was much better than the year prior. So he was the star attacking player of that group. And although Rashford didn't have the consistent technical ability of Greenwood, Gomes, Januzaj, etc... you could still tell he was a former #10 type player.

McTominay would be more similar to Savage. And Savage possibly stands out a little more. Just someone most would think would not make it considering far better talents have not made it (Ben Pearson who has had a good career in the Championship). The academy is just in a better place in regards to the amount of midfield talents, which would make it even more odd should Savage get a chance above others.

Honestly thought Mctominay was going to be another Tyler Blackett. Just someone who really did not perform at youth level to the extent where he would warrant the chance he got. That's life though.

Smores

I think it's a bit early to throw Garnacho into that list. He'd have probably done better under Ole's counter attack setup.

Fast players who are able to make the most of open space tend to do very well in the youth. It rarely carries across into premier league football so it'll be interesting to see if he's able to adapt.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think @Mr. MUJAC raised an interesting point the other day that statistically at least a couple of the lads in the FA youth cup team will have a pretty good chance of making it at PL level. From that group I think my 3 favourite players are Hansen, Mainoo and Gore. Not to mention the highly talented McNeill and Garnacho too. I quite like Oyedele from that group too, looks a very gifted lad. Realistically, next season will likely be too early for that group.

For the U23s I'd say Shoretire and Mejbri are next in line for their opportunities with Elanga having already made a very strong case for himself at first team level. I've spoken enough about Mejbri but Shoretire is one I think will definitely go up a level with better team mates. Fernandez is certainly one to keep your eye on, I feel we're more likely to loan him before he gets any first team action though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

That's not what you said though, you said its always a player never considered that makes it over the top prospects.

Of course they didn't all make it, if every u23s player of the year amounted to something great then we'd consistently have 10-15 academy graduates in our squad, which obviously isn't even close to realistic and has never been done before by anyone.

What players that were never considered made it over Wilson, Keane or Pearson? None.

Rashford had a thread on this very forum made about him when he was 14 and was listed in national newspapers as one to watch at 16, so that also just isn't true.

khoazany

Garner and Hannibal for next season. I think Mengi will need another loan. Shoretire and Garnacho not ready yet, though might get some odd game times. Maybe one of Fernandez, Laird or Williams will be used, and the others go on loan. The likes of Hansen, McNeill or Mainoo will need to focus on doing well for the 23s first, although I can see Mainoo doing early breakthrough.

The likes of Levitt, Galbraith, Iqbal and Savage will find it hard considering we can’t give chances to too many midfielders at once.

Amad and Pellistri are hard to say considering they didn’t do well on loan, but maybe will be kept around.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's not what you said though, you said its always a player never considered that makes it over the top prospects.

Of course they didn't all make it, if every u23s player of the year amounted to something great then we'd consistently have 10-15 academy graduates in our squad, which obviously isn't even close to realistic and has never been done before by anyone.

What players that were never considered made it over Wilson, Keane or Pearson? None.

Rashford had a thread on this very forum made about him when he was 14 and was listed in national newspapers as one to watch at 16, so that also just isn't true.
I said rarely. It’s the same with most of the hyped youngsters around the world. Hard work trumps talent most of the time.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Won't be popular but I don't think any of them are close to knocking on the door the way Greenwood was, they've all got a lot to iron out and may be decent at best, there's no stand out talent at the moment. Garner with his loan spell has probably done the most to be a squad player.

Mylock

Good summary. You don't have high hopes for Jurado? And what about that new lad from Brighton? Have you just not seen enough of him yet, or is
Is he not good enough?

Thanks
Jurado has something about him; he's an outstanding footballer that needs to get stronger to stand any chance of making it. He's been tried in midfield, and he could develop in that role. He could be a slow burner.

Mylock

Loan-players:

Interesting post, what about Zidane Isqbal? Talented footballer, doesn't seem to be ever involved with the 1st team. Surprisingly not sent out on loan.

lysglimt

Scout
Interesting post, what about Zidane Isqbal? Talented footballer, doesn't seem to be ever involved with the 1st team. Surprisingly not sent out on loan.
When it comes to midfielders - there are so many talented ones at United, Iqbal being another one. But the fact is - there is no way 5 players in that position will break into our first-team - maybe 2-3 can get into the squad - never more than that. Iqbal is another one who has a decent chance. But he has already turned 19 and I don't rate him at the same level as players like Galbraith, Garner and Levitt when they were at his age - and that is probably a minimum of what is required. So I will be surprised if he doesn't get to have a good career - but at United ? I doubt it.

But I would say we have 10-12 young central/attacking midfielders with the talent to at least play in the Championship. It's a bit strange that we we are so unbalanced, because we have very few defenders of the same class, or strikers.

GueRed

Based on this season's performances Fernandez (LB) & Shoretire (CM) from the u-23s have impressed me the most and look the closest to be given first team opportunities in the near future

From the u-18s Garnacho (STR), Mainoo (CM), Gore (CM) and Ennis (LWF) look like they have a chance.

Garner who has been decent on loan has a good chance of being in the first team fold next season too

Edit forgot Hannibal for the u-23s. Was more impressive last season but tbf he's still had a solid season despite missing a lot though injury and international call-ups. Will be looking to push on next season.

GueRed

Won't be popular but I don't think any of them are close to knocking on the door the way Greenwood was, they've all got a lot to iron out and may be decent at best, there's no stand out talent at the moment. Garner with his loan spell has probably done the most to be a squad player.
Greenwood was an exceptional talent tbf. He was a dead cert.
They don't come round very often.

Demaw

Too slow, talented but one paced.

lysglimt

Scout
Based on this season's performances Fernandez (LB) & Shoretire (CM) from the u-23s have impressed me the most and look the closest to be given first team opportunities in the near future

From the u-18s Garnacho (STR), Mainoo (CM), Gore (CM) and Ennis (LWF) look like they have a chance.

Garner who has been decent on loan has a good chance of being in the first team fold next season too

Edit forgot Hannibal for the u-23s. Was more impressive last season but tbf he's still had a solid season despite missing a lot though injury and international call-ups. Will be looking to push on next season.

A bit harsh to say Garner has been just "decent" :) He has been the playmaker for one of the best teams in the Championship so ...I think we can say he has been outstanding

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Jurado has something about him; he's an outstanding footballer that needs to get stronger to stand any chance of making it. He's been tried in midfield, and he could develop in that role. He could be a slow burner.
Jurado has been very impressive this season. He's been played at centreback too and was very good. Got a lot of Neville about him.

telesticg

Genuinely believe we'll be in something like the mass youth influx Barcelona is facing with Hannibal, Gore, Mainoo and Isak all (at least) knocking on the first team door

MUW4Eva

I would have to disagree on this point, for me that honour goes to Ravel Morrison.

Ravel was unbelievably talented at youth level, he was just soooooo far above every other youth team player, sadly, very sadly, we all know what happened next with him.

lysglimt

Scout
I would have to disagree on this point, for me that honour goes to Ravel Morrison.

Ravel was unbelievably talented at youth level, he was just soooooo far above every other youth team player, sadly, very sadly, we all know what happened next with him.
Or to put it like this - our 2 biggest talents have both wasted their careers

Remember the geese

Morrison was terrific. I agree with the other poster though. Greenwood is the best I've seen at Youth level.

VDG17

I looked at the Ajax team the other day and mapped in my head the similarities and gaps between what we have and they have including youth(trying to make myself fall asleep).

The first team are lacking pace in defence, a deep lying playmaker, technical ability and the ability to overlap at full back and probably a winger.

Looking at the reserves and youth teams I think that opens the door for Garner, Fernandez, Garnacho, Amad and Pellistri. Garner being the only one that will genuinely get a lot of game time unless one of the others overperforms in pre-season.
I struggle to place Hannibal and Shoretire but that doesn't mean they don't have a chance, the latter I think needs a loan having stalled a bit this year.

Longer term I think Mainoo and Gore really stand out and fit the profile. Jurado is intriguing because ETH does use versatile players in defensive roles such as Blind and Timber, he's developed well this year but needs to do what Lingard did physically.

Reactions: Invictus

GueRed

A bit harsh to say Garner has been just "decent" :) He has been the playmaker for one of the best teams in the Championship so ...I think we can say he has been outstanding
Yep he's has had a very good season for Forest. He hasn't been the only player who's had a good season there though. Others in his team have been just as good or even better imo

For example Scott McKenna at the back has been consistently solid.. Djed Spence has caught the eye at right back with his rampaging runs and Brennan Johnson (son of former United youth forward David Johnson) has been a revelation this season!

Forest have had that good a year they've got quite a few contenders for Player of the Season I think.

Good luck to them in the playoffs.