Gaming Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Thought I had posted my opinion about this here earlier. Turns out I didn't.

Well, I got this for about 30 dollars on Steam several months ago and I think it was very, very disappointing. It's not a bad game, it's just underwhelming in comparison to RE2 remake.

It's neither survival nor horror, so basically not a Resident Evil game you'll want to check. It's a very linear action game. There're ton of missed opportunities down there that could have made it better, but they missed all of them.

There's no survival aspect in this because there's ton of ammo and crafting items for them. I always had about 60 bullets on normal. I thought it might be because of the normal difficulty but I checked a video for someone playing on Hardcore he had +90 handgun bullets with a lot of gunpowder to craft, so first big aspect of RE is gone. There's no ammo micromanagement to fear about. Game seems to understands this well so also throws ton of zombies at you to kill, turning into pure action. It's not scary or tense either. The hospital section was creepy alright, but that's as scary as it can get. Meanwhile, in RE2 I was so damn tense every minute of my 2 playthroughs and I never had more than 20-30 bullets at time. It was a more Resident Evil experience I'll expect.

The city was a huge missed opportunity. They could have made this section an open hub area with multiple exploration routes and optional things to do before moving on but it ended up not offering that much and was also pretty linear. This was the chance of Resident Evil to try something new. The game plays very, very linear which in my opinion hurts it, especially with the fact the survival aspect is dead and there're no puzzles. The linearity hurts the replayability value. RE2 had 2 playable characters with 2 different set of weapons, different story cutscenes and characters to meet, and second run shuffles the police station and makes you explore it in different order and in a more free way. The lab and sewers were the only linear parts, and they still shuffle the puzzles solutions for you, while RE3 had about one or two puzzles who were ridiculously easy.

It's not boring. It's a fun game for currently what it's, a very linear action game, but it could have ten times better with more brainstorming and creativity in holding this remake like what they did with RE2.
Just completed it again to get the platinum before GoW and I agree with all of this - such a missed opportunity with this one. Doesn’t even feel like RE3 at all. A fun enough game when all said and done

They did a great with 2 though and 4 looks to be shaping up nicely, but man this game could have been so much more.