Gaming Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Without getting the wrath of Resident Evil fans here amongst us ,how is Nemesis in game mechanics any different from Resident Evil 2 remake big boss Tyrant ?

Art Vandelay

Without getting the wrath of Resident Evil fans here amongst us ,how is Nemesis in game mechanics any different from Resident Evil 2 remake big boss Tyrant ?
You idiot! He says "STAAARRRS!!!" while chasing you!!

Nah they've not revealed much about that yet, other than the AI is upgraded, he has a tentacle he can use to grab Jill which just looks annoying to be fair, a flamethrower and he's supposed to have more of a presence relentlessly chasing Jill. How he's going to be hugely different from Mr X is a bit of a mystery at the minute.

Irwin99

Majority of fans I've see commenting aren't hyped about the REsistance side game at all and just want a solid RE3 remake. I feel the same. I hope Capcom haven't spent that much time on it as I just want RE3! On a shallow level, I hope the trophies are confined to the main game and not resistance. I want that platinum.

Art Vandelay

I genuinely don't know how I'm going to put up with Nemesis for an entire game. I just unleashed Mr X on the police station in RE2 and it's completely fecked me up. Hiding in the STARS office realising I forgot to bring the USB dongle and having a nightmare trying to quietly deal with a Licker so I can get the pouches and whatnot in the lock up room. I went from perfectly calm to sweaty mess when the fecker started stomping around.

A whole game of that kind of cat and mouse tomfoolery might be too much for me.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I genuinely don't know how I'm going to put up with Nemesis for an entire game. I just unleashed Mr X on the police station in RE2 and it's completely fecked me up. Hiding in the STARS office realising I forgot to bring the USB dongle and having a nightmare trying to quietly deal with a Licker so I can get the pouches and whatnot in the lock up room. I went from perfectly calm to sweaty mess when the fecker started stomping around.

Yeah it's going to be tense as feck, but then I suppose that's the whole point :lol:

They've got a fine line though between making him scary and fearful and making him just plain annoying. Hope they've nailed it.

Art Vandelay

Yeah it's going to be tense as feck, but then I suppose that's the whole point :lol:

They've got a fine line though between making him scary and fearful and making him just plain annoying. Hope they've nailed it.
Yeah I think pacing with him is going to be key too. He's going to be there alot I assume, but you're going to need sections where it calms the feck down with him too. Lengthy sections. Otherwise you just end up diluting the tension and making him an annoyance.

el3mel

Depends on how long Nemesis is going to be around. Mr. X was around for roughly 30-40 minutes in the first run for me. The section he appears in was kinda obvious in what and where to go and he just made doing these obvious things stressful and tense. If Mr. X had been present since the beginning especially when you were still exploring the police station and confused about some puzzles he could have been annoying rather than bring terrifying, but they nailed him pretty well imo.

Hopefully they won't make Nemesis present the entire game, especially as I have hopes they are going to have the city as a small open hub area to explore and making the game less linear.

Irwin99

Enjoyed the demo a lot. It's more of the same but after RE2 I don't care.

Any fears people had about the dodge mechanic making it much easier have been allayed; I got two right in about ten attempts through both of my playthroughs. Hope they add the option for the original music but otherwise, this is looking very promising.

Art Vandelay

I played a bit of the demo and I'm not overly sold on it. It's much faster paced and the combat mechanics have changed, they threw me a bit at the start. The knife seems to be useless now, I couldn't find any use for it. Putting a zombie down buys you almost no time, they are straight back in hungry for more. So it's changed the dynamic in that regards, interesting to see how that plays out. The city seems pretty big with plenty to explore, I found a lot of stuff and lacked the inventory space to carry it. Graphics and sound were excellent.

I'm not sure I'm sold on this faster pace, but I suppose RE3 was faster paced than RE2 anyway. The bit that gave me pause was...

When I met The Nemesis. I appreciate it's out of context and probably into the game a fair bit, but it's like he's just there with no build up so there's no real drama like you get with Mr X. Then the fight/chase itself just wasn't fun, I didn't really know what I was supposed to do. It said run, but run where? Running was shit too, he's faster and he just whips your legs out from under you as stunning him doesn't last long at all. It made me miss the big stomping subtlety of Mr X. It all just felt a bit awkward and forced.

I left it at that part and will finish it tomorrow. Overall I was impressed and I'm still getting it. I just did not find that part fun and fear it may be a large part of the game.

There are a fair few bobbleheads scattered around, I'm not sure what shooting them unlocks, but I think I got around 7ish so far.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Downloaded it and will give it a proper go later. Loaded it up to play but I like playing Resi games when it's dark and the atmosphere is right :lol:

Art Vandelay

Finished the demo. It was mostly good, but part of it just didn't feel great to me. Still a buy, just my excitement is tempered now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
3 Deaths
23 minute completion.

Liked it for the most part. Zombies are a proper pain in the backside.
Still unsure about the new facial design of the big bad dude though.

Irwin99

I think I did, but it might have been pure luck. Found it very awkward at first then hit like 6 in a row on zombies. Didn't manage it on Nemesis though.

Did anyone get all the bobble heads?
I got odd ones but there's loads of them isn't there?

evil_geko

I already went three times through the Demo and I am loving it to be honest, everything is on another level above compared to RE2 Remake except maybe a bit worse rag doll physics which would be strange as it is literally same engine?! Dunno, but everything else is brilliant.

evil_geko

You can also do a knife dodge attack where she stabs and dodges back a bit. I love the new knife attacks.

el3mel

Didn't play the demo myself but watched videos for it and I liked what I saw. This game simply can't go wrong imo. It's a more polished version of RE2 and the inventory seems to work far better here. These are enough for it to be a pretty solid game. They have the formula, engine and story and had to just add them all together.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah,it's certainly a better looking game than RES2,which I felt was visually intense with the details.
This game looks more visibly softer.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

While holding Right Mouse click or whatever control is for aiming with weapon on consoles, press back and attack in quick succession.
Sweet I'll give it a go. Although I found the knife not much use, zombies rarely stayed down long enough for me to knife them silly like in RE2.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The zombies got harder with each new continuation from what I remember from the classic games,largely basing this on the first 3 on the PS1.

So,naturally, the developers are keeping to the same formula.

But I foresee myself doing alot more zombie dodging in this new iteration of Resident Evil:Nemesis.
(That's dodging ,not dogging)

Art Vandelay

The zombies got harder with each new continuation from what I remember from the classic games,largely basing this on the first 3 on the PS1.

So,naturally, the developers are keeping to the same formula.

But I foresee myself doing alot more zombie dodging in this new iteration of Resident Evil:Nemesis.
(That's dodging ,not dogging)
Yeah, you can see it morphing more into the quicker pace more action oriented leanings of RE3. Saying that I've literally killed every single zombie I've run into in every play through of RE2, so 3 could be the game my heart desires.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I actually really enjoyed the demo. Raccoon City feels so big yet so small and claustrophobic at the same time. The graphics are incredible and the usual Resi tension was there too.

When Nemesis ran towards me I actually jumped up, and my heart was pounding as I was trying to get away. I honestly don’t think I can take a full game of that ! But it’s a game I’m really looking forward to playing now, I just hope you get some breathing space from Nemesis at times. Also, is there a way to actually dodge his tentacles when he pulls you to the floor? I can see that becoming annoying quickly if there’s no way to dodge it....

But overall very impressed, going to play through it again and see if I can find all the bobble heads. Thought I did well finding 6 But then found out there were 20 :lol:

Art Vandelay

I actually really enjoyed the demo. Raccoon City feels so big yet so small and claustrophobic at the same time. The graphics are incredible and the usual Resi tension was there too.

When Nemesis ran towards me I actually jumped up, and my heart was pounding as I was trying to get away. I honestly don’t think I can take a full game of that ! But it’s a game I’m really looking forward to playing now, I just hope you get some breathing space from Nemesis at times. Also, is there a way to actually dodge his tentacles when he pulls you to the floor? I can see that becoming annoying quickly if there’s no way to dodge it....

But overall very impressed, going to play through it again and see if I can find all the bobble heads. Thought I did well finding 6 But then found out there were 20 :lol:
I was the same with the bobble heads. I thought I was the man with 6 of them. :lol:

I had the opposite feeling with Nemesis, it just didn't have the same effect as Mr X still does. It felt like a lack of spectacle, the noise when Mr X spots you, the music change and the thumping footsteps work so well to get my heart pumping with fear still. I didn't get that with Nemesis, it was like he was just there then he was hassling me with his jumping and tentacles. It didn't feel like a chase so much as someone just irritating me while I was trying to do something. Hopefully it's better in the final game.

I think the change in combat pace is going to make it feel very unique compared to RE2. Slower puzzle sections might feel more satisfying and like a breather.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I was the same with the bobble heads. I thought I was the man with 6 of them. :lol:

I had the opposite feeling with Nemesis, it just didn't have the same effect as Mr X still does. It felt like a lack of spectacle, the noise when Mr X spots you, the music change and the thumping footsteps work so well to get my heart pumping with fear still. I didn't get that with Nemesis, it was like he was just there then he was hassling me with his jumping and tentacles. It didn't feel like a chase so much as someone just irritating me while I was trying to do something. Hopefully it's better in the final game.

I think the change in combat pace is going to make it feel very unique compared to RE2. Slower puzzle sections might feel more satisfying and like a breather.
All fair points. Not long to wait until the full game though so we’ll wait and see how it plays!

evil_geko

The only thing about Nemesis I don't like is when he Tentacles away......into the sky...wtf. My immersion. :(

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just completed the demo. Really liked it just as i thought i would. The zombies can still be a bit annoying at times though and that's something i found in the RE2 Remake. Only a minor quibble though. I like the new dodge mechanic, but my timing must be shit on occasions because i press it but still manage to get chowed down on by a zombie.

Haven't really got an opinion on Nemesis yet as he's only in it briefly. The tentacle thing is a little annoying though. Game looks incredible much like the previous remake and the controls for the most part are fine. Shooting is a little cumbersome due to the zombies swaying back and forth, but it's not a deal breaker. Can't wait for the full game.

evil_geko

This is what annoys me beacuse it looks pretty goofy. How could they make such a great game and have this look like it is.

Ainu

Just played through the demo on the PS4 earlier today. Plays almost exactly like Resident Evil 2 which is no surprise. I just can't aim for shit in these games. I'm going to try it out on pc as well, see if that works a little better for me.

Irwin99

Has anyone actually manged to play the REsistance demo released today if they've downloaded it? I can't access it for some reason and lot's of people seem to be in the same boat. I'm not actually all that excited by it but I thought I'd have a little look and see if it could change my mind whilst I wait for RE3.