Gaming Resident Evil Village - Out 7th May 2021

Irwin99

God I hope this is good. Was a little bit disappointed with RE3 and I think they've implied this will be a bit more action orientated than 7.

Irwin99

Reviews should be out later I think. Interested to see how good this is.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Read some reviews on it. Mostly positive although I have seen one or two lukewarm responses. Weirdly, I'm not really that excited about the game. I like the franchise and I played the demos a few weeks ago, but not that eager to dive in. It looks fine, but it was just something about the way it controlled that I didn't like, either. Probably going to wait a few months and pick it up cheaper.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Im just pissed off that i will be playing this on a ps4 rather than a ps5. Other than that demo was okay but it left me unimpressed for some reason.

Irwin99

Reviews seem to be pointing to a solid game but I'm not sure if anyone is calling it a classic. I'm looking forward to playing it and making my own mind up though.

Sometimes I do get the vibe that Capcom seem to enjoy making more action orientated RE, or perhaps it's because they're seen to be more profitable. It's a bit like SE with Final Fantasy- they seem really resistant to go back to old formulas. It's admirable in some ways I guess or else we'd all be complaining it's always the same old same old.

Drawfull

Reviews seem to be pointing to a solid game but I'm not sure if anyone is calling it a classic. I'm looking forward to playing it and making my own mind up though.

Sometimes I do get the vibe that Capcom seem to enjoy making more action orientated RE, or perhaps it's because they're seen to be more profitable. It's a bit like SE with Final Fantasy- they seem really resistant to go back to old formulas. It's admirable in some ways I guess or else we'd all be complaining it's always the same old same old.
The Final Fantasy main series games have been shit since XIV released. Some would say earlier, but I liked the battle system up til and including then. The new ones, including VII remake are gash. You've no control. There are no tactics necessary. It's dumbed down the series to play to a bigger audience. Admirable for the shareholders maybe.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Im just pissed off that i will be playing this on a ps4 rather than a ps5. Other than that demo was okay but it left me unimpressed for some reason.
Yeah, same here. Thinking about it I really didn't like the controls. The shooting felt off and not particularly good at all, and I'm not too sure about the setting, either. I'm just going to wait for a few months for a significant price drop.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You don’t think 7 was a bit of a throwback to the earlier RE’s? The best review I’ve seen (SkillUp) highlights this, saying 8 is closer to 4 so if that was your favorite you’ll like this one. Whereas 7 is more like the older ones.

Irwin99

You don’t think 7 was a bit of a throwback to the earlier RE’s? The best review I’ve seen (SkillUp) highlights this, saying 8 is closer to 4 so if that was your favorite you’ll like this one. Whereas 7 is more like the older ones.
Yeah 7 was a definite throwback to horror but they seem to have wanted to tie this in with RE4 a bit which is where the series went more action focused. Hopefully there will still be some good scares in this.

I can never make up my mind about RE4. Loved it when it came out but subsequent replays have left me feeling a bit cold (and feck those QTEs). It's such a weird game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah 7 was a definite throwback to horror but they seem to have wanted to tie this in with RE4 a bit which is where the series went more action focused. Hopefully there will still be some good scares in this.

I can never make up my mind about RE4. Loved it when it came out but subsequent replays have left me feeling a bit cold (and feck those QTEs). It's such a weird game.
“Leon, heeeelp.”

Bosws87

Sceptical of these reviews scores feel games in general are getting favourable scores just because there is a severe drought everywhere currently.

Don't think ill bother with this one until its bargain bin prices.

Gehrman

Tbh I wish they would stick more to the RE1 and RE2 formulas rather than the action-oriented ones. Most of the best ones have been the ones that stick to that formula.

Shark

@NotShark
Tbh I wish they would stick more to the RE1 and RE2 formulas rather than the action-oriented ones. Most of the best ones have been the ones that stick to that formula.
Not a fan of RE4 then? Replayed that recently and it's still my favourite next to the second one.

Gehrman

Not a fan of RE4 then? Replayed that recently and it's still my favourite next to the second one.
Well I think it's good, but I'd say that most the flops of RE franchise have being trying replicate the succes of Re4 rather than sticking to the original formula. I prefer the 3rd person perspective as well.

Adamsk7

Reviews from games journalists seem good, reviews from YouTube gaming channels seem average. I’ve seen a lot saying they’ve completed in 9-11 hours and that your character feels OP in the world and also has the worst voice acting of any character for a long time.
I’ll still be buying it as I’m a Resi fan but I think I’ll wait until it comes down a little in price. Still playing Returnal so no rush

Bosws87

Think i'll buy the console version, i'm gonna presume if you are of a decent skill level using a mouse you will absolutely breeze through this type of game headshot after headshot.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’ll be on it on PC after a price drop. Can’t wait to play it with the mod where all the enemies are Barney the Dinosaur.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's worth remembering I think that horror games tend to be a little divisive. I've just read a few reviews and it sounds like it suffers from some of the usual tropes that tend to afflict the genre. If you generally like that stuff though - as many horror fans do - you'll probably enjoy it.

For me personally I like my horrors as cheesy as they can possibly be.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I was talking about my dislike of the controls (from the demos), and I think it ultimately comes down to the fact that I'm not sure I like the transition into first-person. After playing the remakes recently and having played RE 4 again not so long back, third person is definitely the way to go for these. I know it may feel a little more immersive in first-person, but I think it struggles with the shooting and overall controls, IMO.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Reviews from games journalists seem good, reviews from YouTube gaming channels seem average. I’ve seen a lot saying they’ve completed in 9-11 hours and that your character feels OP in the world and also has the worst voice acting of any character for a long time.
I’ll still be buying it as I’m a Resi fan but I think I’ll wait until it comes down a little in price. Still playing Returnal so no rush
Resi was never famed for its nuanced acting, in fairness.

Irwin99

I read a quote saying that the game feels more intense and more scary on hardcore setting and that players might want to pick this option as the game is apparently easier than 7.

Gehrman

Just got my copy. Only wish I could play it on PS5.

Shark

@NotShark
I read a quote saying that the game feels more intense and more scary on hardcore setting and that players might want to pick this option as the game is apparently easier than 7.
Was also reading there's a part very similar to RE4's village section at the start where there's a timer and a feck ton of enemies coming at you. Players that started on hardcore difficulty couldn't get past it.

Irwin99

Was also reading there's a part very similar to RE4's village section at the start where there's a timer and a feck ton of enemies coming at you. Players that started on hardcore difficulty couldn't get past it.
Got it today to play later at night. Still not sure which difficulty to start with but that doesn't sound encouraging :lol:

Gehrman

It's definitely got a Re7 meets Re4 vibe over it.

littlepeasoup

Watched half an hour of someone playing this, and for some reason it made me feel properly motion sick. Wasn't sure about picking it up before, but I'm not sure I'd last an hour without dying - in the game, and in real life.

Shark

@NotShark
Got it today to play later at night. Still not sure which difficulty to start with but that doesn't sound encouraging :lol:
Yeah same :lol: other than that normal is supposed to be fairly easy but you can't change the difficult once you start..

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Looks like ps5 has faster loading times (plus dual sense support), but Xbox has a slight edge on frame rate for those who can choose to buy on both consoles.

Gehrman

A bit sad to hear it's only 8-10 hours long. I finished Re3 remake the same day I started it.

izzydiggler

A bit sad to hear it's only 8-10 hours long. I finished Re3 remake the same day I started it.
I’ve read 12/13. 3 was far too short but I’d prefer a quality 8-10 hour product than something like (extreme comparison) 6.

I felt 7 was really good whilst the Bakers were the focus but lost steam massively towards the end...if 8 maintains a level of quality for 10 hours, I’d be very happy. About 90 mins in now and loving it so far.

Sweet Square

The bigger enemies can take a comically large number of bullets to head and still be standing, on hardcore.