Gaming Resident Evil Village - Out 7th May 2021

Irwin99

Urgh, I just erased all of my save data by accident transferring it to my new ps5 ...think I overwrote it :(

Woodzy

Finished it, excellent game and probably better than 7.

Think the recent Remakes are overall though the better games.

In typical Resident Evil fashion the story gets absolutely mental towards the end and in particular I hated:

The entire factory section, didn’t enjoy that in the slightest. Also think the boss as a let down.

Final boss was great though

Shark

@NotShark
Just finished this last night. I'd definitely rank it up there with the best the series has to offer. Perhaps only below RE4 and RE2 remake.

Woodzy

Just finished this last night. I'd definitely rank it up there with the best the series has to offer. Perhaps only below RE4 and RE2 remake.
Agreed. I do like Threemake more as well though but I think that is due to a preference to the third person.

Irwin99

Hardcore mode is bearable after you survive the first section. As long as you don't waste your ammo too much it's doable and not unfair.

Not really explored mercenary mode as yet.

Shark

@NotShark
Hardcore mode is bearable after you survive the first section. As long as you don't waste your ammo too much it's doable and not unfair.

Nice. Will definitely do another run on hardcore so. Casual was a tad easy at times but still super fun.

evil_geko

Hardcore is perfect and how Village should be played IMO, because you have that "always preserving ammo" feeling what most RE games have, was watching some stream of this game on standard difficulty where he had tons of ammo for Handgun and Shotgun. Do not like that.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Hardcore is perfect and how Village should be played IMO, because you have that "always preserving ammo" feeling what most RE games have, was watching some stream of this game on standard difficulty where he had tons of ammo for Handgun and Shotgun. Do not like that.
Yeah. I kind of wish they’d do away with auto save aswell as that would add to that tension alongside the preserving of ammo which makes these games great.

Playing through Village of Shadows at the moment with infinite ammo. The enemies move so fast, Christ knows how you’d manage it without infinite ammo :lol:

Will do this then start a brand new play through on Hardcore without any carry over/infinite ammo and see how I get on

Irwin99

Haven't seen it mentioned by anyone anywhere but there's an obvious Alien Covenant homage right at the end of the game (David's lab). It's probably because no one liked that film :lol: but I thought it was a nice touch regardless.

evil_geko

Game too short they said, only 8 hours long they said, well, 23 hours playtime, still haven't finished my first run.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good to see this has turned out. Nice to have a other RE adventure to play soon.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Game too short they said, only 8 hours long they said, well, 23 hours playtime, still haven't finished my first run.
Took me 15 hours and I really took my time searching every inch and trying to get as many trophies as possible

A fantastic game. Perhaps let down in the final third

The village itself as well as the castle and doll house are up there as best in RE series. The swamp/mines were fine but the factory dragged on. And then the ending was good fun

evil_geko

Took me 15 hours and I really took my time searching every inch and trying to get as many trophies as possible

A fantastic game. Perhaps let down in the final third

The village itself as well as the castle and doll house are up there as best in RE series. The swamp/mines were fine but the factory dragged on. And then the ending was good fun
The game save time says around 12:30 hours but my in game spent time is over 23 hours, and take off an hour, even two from those 23 for being in menus etc, it's still a lot more longer than what people say. I am loving the Factory tbh, I expected it to be a quick area but am positively surprised how big it is. Wasn't fan of Stronghold and how full on actiony it is.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Finally started this, I like it so far. Not sure about the block at all, and the walking feels rather clumsy, but all in all it feels sluggish and awkward enough for me to stop it being a mediocre FPS game and more of a hybrid with plenty of RE feel. I also like the nods to RE4, including the gems twinkling away for you to shoot :drool:

Graphically, whilst not outstanding, the engine is as good as always. On PC with an ancient CPU (though outstanding GPU) I'm getting around 100-120fps at 1440 with everything maxed out, though the RT implementation is disappointing. The only real grumbles are the sluggish and weird menu controls, and the lack of FOV which as always is such a dumb move.

Even if the game is short, I've already spent a ridiculous amount of time looking around the village for the goat things and bird cages/gems. So my playthrough will always be skewed timewise to the extreme :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The game save time says around 12:30 hours but my in game spent time is over 23 hours, and take off an hour, even two from those 23 for being in menus etc, it's still a lot more longer than what people say. I am loving the Factory tbh, I expected it to be a quick area but am positively surprised how big it is. Wasn't fan of Stronghold and how full on actiony it is.
I thought the factory was a bit meh. But I always never really liked those kind of settings. It was a bit too mazy too.

Woodzy

I thought the factory was a bit meh. But I always never really liked those kind of settings. It was a bit too mazy too.
Agreed, weakest point for me. Enemies were a bit cool though.

In fact, the enemy design in this was a breath of fresh compared to what we got in RE7.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Finally started this, I like it so far. Not sure about the block at all, and the walking feels rather clumsy, but all in all it feels sluggish and awkward enough for me to stop it being a mediocre FPS game and more of a hybrid with plenty of RE feel. I also like the nods to RE4, including the gems twinkling away for you to shoot :drool:

Graphically, whilst not outstanding, the engine is as good as always. On PC with an ancient CPU (though outstanding GPU) I'm getting around 100-120fps at 1440 with everything maxed out, though the RT implementation is disappointing. The only real grumbles are the sluggish and weird menu controls, and the lack of FOV which as always is such a dumb move.

Even if the game is short, I've already spent a ridiculous amount of time looking around the village for the goat things and bird cages/gems. So my playthrough will always be skewed timewise to the extreme :lol:
Sounds like a game I'd love

evil_geko

Finished my first run on Hardcore with 14 "active" hours and 26 actual hours, so now I even more don't get the "game is too short" comments. This is the third longest Resident Evil game after RE6 and RE4. Had a blast! I didn't like much the actiony section near the end, rest if it was great.

Will have a break from the game for few days probably and then plan out my Village of Shadows run and what to buy for it. I don't see the point in buying Infinite ammo for weaker weapons and I didn't have enough to fully upgrade strongest weapons from first run to unlock Infinite ammo buys. I might just NG+ it with no infinite ammo.

siw2007

Just finished the game and thought overall it was very good and every bit as good as Biohazard. However I did think some areas of the game were a lot stronger than others, mainly in the beginning. This is my take on the game and the different levels.

The Village itself was very well built. I liked the Non-linear progression through it, as in different sections opened up as you beat the bosses. The design was fantastic, atmosphere was tense, though I think it lost some of this probably as you became more accustomed to the game.

The Castle Dimitrescu was probably my favourite location in the game, it was simply brilliant level design. It combined excellent exploration, clever puzzles and of course there was the 'tension' as you traversed the corridors as Lady Dimitrescu and her daughters tracking you down. They really got it right when you had to run from them into unknown corridors and rooms, frantically finding the next door or hatch in a desperate effort fro survival. This design is for me what modern Resident Evil should be.

Beneviento's mansion was also a huge hit for me, just a shame it was on the short side. Very similar to the previous level(which is good), it had good puzzles, a very spooky atmosphere and getting about the interlinking rooms and corridors while that grotesque blob with a disturbing baby laugh tracked you down was terrifying and in itself was very clever problem solving.

After this, I felt the game went down hill a little bit. The reservoir was somewhat forgetful, I liked the huge set piece on the lake while Salvatore tried to knock you off the bridges. It was entertaining but other than that I felt it was weaker than the previous two parts.

The Stronghold simply sucked for me. There game's strong points for me up to this point were puzzles, exploration, problem solving under pressure. It seemed to forget that it wasn't Resident Evil 4-6, and decided to become an action shooter game for a period of time. Yes, the combat is an important part of the game, in a sense of tight and small encounters, however they decided to have arenas with hordes of enemies and loads of shooting going on. The den was overly difficult as the game was not built to be able to effectively deliver these experiences.

The factory was a small improvement as the pacing was back, though mechanical enhancements on the Lycan's was a bit out of character for me. Still not a patch on the first two levels though.

End stages were good, Chris's section was more action packed but he gets away with it as he is designed to be able to deliver in a more combative scenario. I really liked the twists in the story and they have left it open for a RE9. I can't decide whether they will go with Chris, and go back to a more RE4 style of game or whether they will use Rose/Eveline as the protagonist and stick with the more RE7-8 style. Would prefer the latter personally.

Irwin99

Code Veronica on the dreamcast was very underrated. Would love a remake of that far more than 4.

Redlambs

Or 3, what a terrible list!
I didn't say it was a complete list you moron. There's obviously tiers below and I can't be bothered to rank OG games with the remakes either, because unlike you, I don't have time nor can be arsed.

But for the record, I haven't yet played the 3 remake and no, 5 and 6 wouldn't be anywhere near those tiers either. If you think they are then you, not for the first time and certainly not the last, need to remove yourself from my presence.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I didn't say it was a complete list you moron. There's obviously tiers below and I can't be bothered to rank OG games with the remakes either, because unlike you, I don't have time nor can be arsed.

But for the record, I haven't yet played the 3 remake and no, 5 and 6 wouldn't be anywhere near those tiers either. If you think they are then you, not for the first time and certainly not the last, need to remove yourself from my presence.
This was a very angry post.

5 and 6 are not good RE games but I think they’re enjoyable enough games in their own right.

3 Remake was a letdown compared to 2 but still a solid enough game.

Redlambs

Code Veronica on the dreamcast was very underrated. Would love a remake of that far more than 4.
It was and is.

Also, hell might have actually frozen over twice, as I do think I'll end up agreeing with @evil_geko on the length. Whilst I'm not bizarrely going to add menu time into the completion time (I mean, seriously?), so far I've taken it like a proper exploration game and seem to have been many more hours over the reviews suggest without even getting that far.

Redlambs

This was a very angry post.
It always was, and always will be tough love with you newbie.

5 and 6 are not good RE games but I think they’re enjoyable enough games in their own right.

3 Remake was a letdown compared to 2 but still a solid enough game.
5 was okay, but 6 was just daft. I've heard 3 cuts a lot, which makes me fear for the baffling attempt to redo 4 so that's probably why I can't bring myself to try it.

I'm definitely on the 8 hype train so far though, I'm just hoping it can continue the early game. Though already I'm a little bit pissed
HOW THE feck ARE THE VAMPIRE AND 9FT TALL WOMEN NOT THE MAIN FOCUS OF THE GAME!!!!!!!

izzydiggler

Completed it for the second time earlier...fun not having to think about ammo/constantly scavenging and just mowing everything down with infinite ammo.

AaronRedDevil

Just finished this yesterday. I wouldn't argue why someone would think this might be the best RE game. It had nearly everything in it. Good opening, entertaining story and villains. Fun boss fights And for the first time ever, I actually felt some emotion in a RE game. It was really good. Only part I didn't like was the Factory section at the end, kept getting lost and having to run in circles. The boss fights were fun too. Ethan went through so much hell in these games. More then Chris and Leon. He's a great character for someone, we don't know what he looks like.

I'd give it a 9/10

Now on to a game I've waited a long long time to replay. Mass Effect:drool:

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Hope they leave that until VR gets bigger and more widely used, because that's the perfect VR game. Imagine a fully explorable Spencer mansion :drool:
Other than Half Life, a proper RE4 VR would be the thing that draws me into the VR universe.

Shark

@NotShark
Genuinely think the Heisenberg fight is one of the worst bosses ever in an RE game. Utter shite.
It was very poor after all of that buildup in the factory. In fact him and the factory were probably the weakest part of the game for me. Feck that place :lol: