Gaming Resident Evil Village - Out 7th May 2021

Bosws87

Is the stutter/fps drop when the crow women appear an issue on the consoles also, game looks and runs superb on pc until this women gets in ya face then it tanks fps.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Is the stutter/fps drop when the crow women appear an issue on the consoles also, game looks and runs superb on pc until this women gets in ya face then it tanks fps.
Yeah, there's a few moments like that for me.

The blocking seems to spark it off a lot for some bizarre reason, good thing that mechanic is tacked on and not really important.

As for Boss fights, I've done the first castle and they were easily the weakest, most simplistic part. I now fear the best of the game is behind me, considering what happens :(

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Tends to happen only when I’m doing the Labyrinth puzzles for some strange reason. Get the occasional drop when just doing random stuff, but with those puzzles it happens every time (I’m on PS5).

Irwin99

Completed VoS difficulty (admittedly using infinite ammo) and feck those last two boss fights :mad:

Chairman Steve

I enjoyed this game more than RE7 and I really liked RE7.

The Beneviento section was the best executed part of the game. I would love to play that section in VR.

Liked that they incorporated stuff from the RE4 Beta Hookman demo. Stuff like the evil dolls attacking you and sub-bosses that have to be weakened by weather conditions before you can attack it like the Hookman getting weakened by natural light. The suits of knight armour seemed like a nod to that too... I was waiting for the jumpscare where a halberd or sword would swing down like in that tech demo.

The Heisenberg section was pretty neat I thought. Liked the Robo-Regenerator enemy that functions the same as a RE4 Regenerator except the weak spot is its red furnace instead of a Plagas.

Weakest part was the Moreau section. I did not like the fish battle bit and much preferred the actual boss fight of that section. It seems bullshitty at times and that caused 3 of my 4 deaths on playing on Standard.

Irwin99

That mercenary game is going to prevent me from getting the Platinum :mad: It's fun but it's too annoying. I hate losing my chain all the time by taking the wrong path.

Redlambs

Did you finish it @Redlambs? Interested to know what you thought of the rest of the game.
Not finished it yet matey, I'm taking my time between this/ME/Yakuza.

I will say though I'm up to the fish bit and so far it's been a mixed bag after such an impressive start. I liked the idea of the second level, but it was so one-dimensional and simplistic that it's hard not to be a little disappointed with how short and uneventful it was. Still, gameplay wise at least, I'm happy enough for an RE game. I do have to ask though, did anyone actually die at all in this? I'm on hard and my only death so far has been the rather janky fish jumping bit and that was only because of science.

Also, has anyone bothered with the tacked on elements like bags of flour/door blocking or indeed even the actual blocking? Also I'm on PC so it's obviously going to be that much easier due to actually being able to aim, but I still have yet to sell anything other than one or two crystals. I have all the skulls/labyrinth crystal things/rare item stuff...it just seems so unnecessary so far, I'm hoping there's a reason for it all later on.

All in all I've enjoyed it, but it's definitely not without the usual major flaws. Still think it'll be up there with 7 though (not VR of course, though most of this game seems designed for VR again funnily enough like the afore mentioned second level), but despite the homages paid I can't see it getting anywhere near 4.

Bosws87

Just finished this, its not terrible its not ground breaking.

The engine is fantastic the character models, animation and environments are great, not sure why it decided to turn into Call of Duty for the final part don't think that was needed.

its a solid game i'd give it a 6/7 out of 10.

Shark

@NotShark
Was the best in the series since 4 for me. Had the perfect balance between scares and action.

el3mel

Started it today. Played the first 3 hours. Actually didn't expect to enjoy it that much. I'm not a huge RE fan, played only the remakes of 2 and 3. 2 was phenomenal but 3 was very meh.

This has been a lot of fun in the first 3 hours. I won't say it's scary so far though, mostly action and tense, something I have no problem with. Let's see how it goes on from there.

el3mel

Finished it today. That was a blast to play. Though I still stand by my opinion, the game is neither that scary or tense, apart from one famous segment which was absolutely terrifying, but the rest of the game is mostly action. The village design was great and every single segment of each of the bosses was very unique and fantastic to explore.

The enemies AI is great as well. They really know how to be a threat especially when they come in group.

United Hobbit

Am not really someone who plays shooters, my boyfriend does though

PlayStation has Bio Hazard for free on the PS store, got him to download it for us to play together (take turns) I also enjoy watching horror games.

I really enjoyed it! Even on medium difficultly, it isn't so hard that even as someone who's not great at shooters, I could still complete my bits bar possibly the one against the "man". I've only really played Call of Duty as a shooter and dabbled in Destiny, its slower paced, which is good for someone not great at shooters. Its hard having limited resources! The shotgun was a game changer!

Following on from me enjoying that, we now have Resident Evil Village. I'm enjoying that too, it's faster paced and I think the enemies are scarier. Rather enjoyed a one shot kill of a werewolf when I shot its head! graphics are well done, the fog and snow really add to the atmosphere.

I'm finding them a lot more interesting than modern horror films which are generally boring, I think because you are effectively "in" the horror it adds to the tension/ threat.

Any recommendations for similar games?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

PlayStation has Bio Hazard for free on the PS store, got him to download it for us to play together (take turns) I also enjoy watching horror games.

I really enjoyed it! Even on medium difficultly, it isn't so hard that even as someone who's not great at shooters, I could still complete my bits bar possibly the one against the "man". I've only really played Call of Duty as a shooter and dabbled in Destiny, its slower paced, which is good for someone not great at shooters. Its hard having limited resources! The shotgun was a game changer!

Following on from me enjoying that, we now have Resident Evil Village. I'm enjoying that too, it's faster paced and I think the enemies are scarier. Rather enjoyed a one shot kill of a werewolf when I shot its head! graphics are well done, the fog and snow really add to the atmosphere.

I'm finding them a lot more interesting than modern horror films which are generally boring, I think because you are effectively "in" the horror it adds to the tension/ threat.

If it’s just for horror, there’s something somewhat recent in Phasmophobia. It is not at all a shooter though, more of a puzzle game. For some time, I couldn’t even play it alone. Nothing has ever got to me like that.

Shark

@NotShark

A tad more realistic in terms of mechanics to Resident Evil but I'm playing through Metro Exodus on PS5 at the moment and then it's an incredible horror game. Set in a Fallout like apocalyptic open world. Highly recommended checking it out.

Redlambs

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...llage-cracked-performance-beats-official-code

Here's one for you, buying the legitimate game has worse performance then pirating it, i bought this on PC bit of a joke really
I questioned this on another forum. I was convinced the stuttering when the enemies lunge at you and you press block wasn't an engine issue (as I did a fair bit of frame/latency checking myself) and a few much smarter than I posters came back with probably the anti-piracy being likely (which doesn't actually work anyway).

Denuvo once again. Shocker.