Weekend of the announcement:
Real 0-0
Juve 0-1
Liverpool 1-1
Chelsea 1-0, 0-0
City 0-1
Arsenal 1-1
Spurs 2-2

Majority of the clubs involved failing (for the most part) winnable games.
The first week all season we haven't had a midweek game. The ESL was a Woody plot to distract a handful of rivals for a single week. 5D chess. Etc.

Gasolin

The first week all season we haven't had a midweek game. The ESL was a Woody plot to distract a handful of rivals for a single week. 5D chess. Etc.
If we win, it's good. Shame the City game was a cup and not the league, we could have reduced the gap...

Robertd0803

Its been great fun being on here since yesterday. Great buzz. Not sure about the 900 different threads when one would have done but what harm :lol:

But obviously the unity between fans of totally different viewpoints normally standing together in opposition to the ESL has been great to see.

Woodward falling on his own sword. No PR spin will make me believe otherwise about him being due to leave anyway and all that nonsense.

Our players making a stand.

Arsenal and Spurs being included and the ridicule it resulted in.

That banner at the Empithad.

The Leeds fans attacking the Liverpool bus for no apparent reason and burning an ancient Liverpool keepers top.

Liverpool and Chelsea dropping points in actual football matches.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Imagine a weekend where Jose gets sacked and it's not even the main talking point? No one would have believed you last week.
Yep, you can imagine as well fact we did not even had a laugh when Chelsea and Liverpool dropped points. Did not even check the Rawk, what was the point? Now I feel bad..

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Probably this image they released just after the announcement:

Steffa Barnesa

My favourite quote, in a sense, was during a Florentino Perez interview where basically said Lens would benefit with the super league because they could qualify, and anyway could now sell their best players to the big clubs :lol:

caid

Bullet points sound ok. Presume the fine print isn't. FIFA, UEFA and them can fight it out for the games between league games, i'm not sure i care who wins.

Cloud7

Back from the dead?

Having permanent members was always my biggest sticking point with the super league. If there are no permanent members and all clubs have the chance to qualify based on their domestic performance then that’s a good system.

I assume then that this is meant to be a replacement for the CL, which then begs the question of what is the big difference, besides Perez/Woody/Agnelli being the ones in charge rather than UEFA?

Teja

Having permanent members was always my biggest sticking point with the super league. If there are no permanent members and all clubs have the chance to qualify based on their domestic performance then that’s a good system.

I assume then that this is meant to be a replacement for the CL, which then begs the question of what is the big difference, besides Perez/Woody/Agnelli being the ones in charge rather than UEFA?
Allocation of spots I assume. I was arguing through out the super league fiasco that a European competition with the best European clubs is a good idea and we shouldn't have to deal with these league ranking shenanigans and artificially limited CL spots.

The problem we've had (as did Arsenal, Spurs etc.) is that the CL is a lottery that penalizes English clubs unfairly. The PL doesn't care because it adds to the drama of the top four race and increases viewership figures (which is why they don't oppose the Newcastle takeover either, but that's a different discussion).

The Spanish clubs get more TV money and some say in whether new money oil clubs are admitted. They'll probably come up with their version of FFP as well to level the playing field a bit with the PL clubs.

All UEFA needs to do is to give PL clubs 1-2 more spots in the CL and this whole thing would collapse.

InfiniteBoredom

TV/prize money allocation. It's a big chunk of extra money you get if it doesn't have to be shared with the champions of Switzerland or Austria in the groupstage, and on top of that I'd imagine the big clubs/founding clubs will also receive extra perks that give them a competitive edge in their respective leagues to essentially ensure perpetual participation.

SmallCaine

Great bullet points except if you take away no relegation and qualification based on domestic performance why would most of the english clubs join?

Chelsea and City don't have any incentive in the first place, the biggest selling point of super league for the others was no qualification requirement which protected the revenues for the big club.

I don't see why english clubs would join a super league which is basically CL and Europa just run by real Madrid and co.

LoneStar

So.. just the same as the CL then? Maybe they increase the PL cap to top 6 or something idk.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

That alone should be a big red fecking flag.

Cloud7

That alone should be a big red fecking flag.
Oh you are not wrong. I don’t find the idea of a tournament being operated by the likes of Perez or Kroenke to be an appealing prospect at all. I have no idea why there’s this massive preference for them over UEFA.

OleBoiii

I don't see how this changes anything? This still kills the domestic leagues and it will still cause fan outrage.
I'm still confused. The only way this works is if one(or more) of the below is true:

A) They expect the fans to accept the rule changes and make no fuss about it this time.
B) They expect the football associations to accept the rule changes and make no fuss about it this time.
C) The only reason they pulled out last time is because they were likely to lose in court, whereas this time they are more confident.

If it's A or B, then surely they are wrong? C just seems unlikely.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

The main difference is that they will establish their own financial fair play, controlled by the partners themselves, which seems like a good measure to make it effective.[/QUOTE]

caid

The main difference is that they will establish their own financial fair play, controlled by the partners themselves, which seems like a good measure to make it effective.
It'll be a good measure if your a Real fan. It'll just be a way to ensure the success of established clubs at the cost of the rest of the football pyramid and competition.

Sviken

Great bullet points except if you take away no relegation and qualification based on domestic performance why would most of the english clubs join?

Chelsea and City don't have any incentive in the first place, the biggest selling point of super league for the others was no qualification requirement which protected the revenues for the big club.

I don't see why english clubs would join a super league which is basically CL and Europa just run by real Madrid and co.
I guess way more revenue for the clubs in the league to be shared. Also, I'd imagine a centralized league is more lucrative in the fact that wage cap can be introduced and possibly a draft system. This would make the league very competitive and always fun to watch. I was against the SL in the beginning, but now it appears to be the only choice going forward if done right.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It'll be a good measure if your a Real fan. It'll just be a way to ensure the success of established clubs at the cost of the rest of the football pyramid and competition.
From what I understood in previous reports, the amount of money that would be distributed in lower categories and women's football is higher than what Uefa contributes.

Yes, I selfishly prefer established clubs to be viable than anyone (let´s say Newcastle) to do whatever they want

Cloud7

The main difference is that they will establish their own financial fair play, controlled by the partners themselves, which seems like a good measure to make it effective.
[/QUOTE]

Which leads back to the question of why are the English clubs interested in this. This is a good measure so that real can swing the biggest transfer dick around again, but what’s the benefit of this to United?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't see how this changes anything? This still kills the domestic leagues and it will still cause fan outrage.
I love the concept itself of a hockey-style division competition. But you're right, this will remove focus away from domestic leagues and all the way over to the Super League.

adexkola

Supports
From what I understood in previous reports, the amount of money that would be distributed in lower categories and women's football is higher than what Uefa contributes.

Yes, I selfishly prefer established clubs to be viable than anyone (let´s say Newcastle) to do whatever they want
I find that hard to believe

Ixion

Clubs with fecked finances desperate for a big money spinner.

caid

Yeah but thats bullshit. I'm not interested in a competitiion run by Real Madrid for Real Madrids benefit. Despite United being obvious beneficiaries of doing so.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't hate it as much as murderous regimes sportswashing their image via the premier league.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
I’m not sure I understand, sounds like they are just proposing what already exists in the champions league?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Which leads back to the question of why are the English clubs interested in this. This is a good measure so that real can swing the biggest transfer dick around again, but what’s the benefit of this to United?
[/QUOTE]

With United it seems evident with the growth of City, that being a club with far fewer followers and history it is capable of competing and surpassing you. I don't know exactly the story with the CAS but it was not murky?.
That would not happen when there is a group of clubs united defending their interests.
I find that hard to believe
That's what I read a long time ago, if I find any other tweets in the future I will add them here.
Although to be completely honest I don't give a damn about the football pyramid
Yeah but thats bullshit. I'm not interested in a competitiion run by Real Madrid for Real Madrids benefit. Despite United being obvious beneficiaries of doing so.
I understand, Madrid are not exactly popular, but do you prefer City, Newcastle,etc dictating the future of football?

caid

With United it seems evident with the growth of City, that being a club with far fewer followers and history it is capable of competing and surpassing you. I don't know exactly the story with the CAS but it was not murky?.
That would not happen when there is a group of clubs united defending their interests.

That's what I read a long time ago, if I find any other tweets in the future I will add them here.

I understand, Madrid are not exactly popular, but do you prefer City, Newcastle,etc dictating the future of football?
Real Madrid are the last place i'd look to fix the problems in football. Not giving a damn about the football pyramid is precisely the reason why. Having a hissy fit and setting up your own competition because 2 teams have more money than you is embarrassing.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid are the last place i'd look to fix the problems in football. Not giving a damn about the football pyramid is precisely the reason why. Having a hissy fit and setting up your own competition because 2 teams have more money than you is embarrassing.
Well, it seems like a compelling reason, especially if they are state clubs and we can't compete. In any case, this model dates from 1991, with different modifications.
I don't know why a new change is so harmful( especially if it has been modified so that everyone can enter)
I also follow third division teams and I don't see Uefa saving them from financial problems. In fact there is quite a bit of obscurantism in the Uefa accounts .
Wouldn't it be more attractive for the minor teams to opt for a super league B? , for example Brugges, 1-5 at home against City, or even Sheriff, who beat us in a good game.
It is better to have a campaign in the Champions League or to establish themselves in a minor division, with more income and able to retain some nice players?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
How does it effect the domestic leagues? I thought the idea was that it replaces the CL, not the EPL.

I do think that the EPL is so strong that they should get 5/6 teams in the CL, as those teams are as good or better than many qualifying in the last spots in Italy, Germany and France. Maybe the threat of this new league will motivate UEFA to make some changes, at least.

adexkola

Supports
I appreciate your honesty, which is why you'll be sent to gulag instead of being dissolved in a vat of acid