Results comparison thread

Merman

This loss changes everything. 5 points off the pace now, but we can make up some of the difference by winning away at Fulham.

Merman

The points difference back to three because we drew against Newcastle last season.

Merman

Oh and we can get rid of the gap completely if we win away at Fulham, while scoring a lot more goals than we did last season.

Merman

Well, not much changed since last week(other than GD). We're still keeping up with last season's results while scoring more goals and with a better goal difference. I don't see why everybody seems to be so worried.

Anduin

The problem is pretty easy to explain: Most of the games we dropped points last year have already taken place and we couldn't capatalize this season, in fact we're three points behind last season's tally. If we beat Hull next week we'll have 40 points after half of the season and need to go on a 16 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss-run in the second half of the season to match the 90 points from last season. Are we good enough to do this? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Unlikely considering our injury problems and difficult away games at Eastlands, the Emirates, Goodison Park, Villa Park etc.
Taking everything into account so far the top teams are on course to the following points:

Chelsea: 87 (+4)
United: 87 (-3)
Arsenal: 75 (+3)
Liverpool: 70 (-16)
Villa: 65 (+3)
City: 59 (+9)
Everton: 57 (-6)
Tottenham: 54 (+3)

As you can clearly see there are major flaws in these calculations; First of all there is no way Spurs or City are only going to finish with 54 and 59 points respectively. Peterstorey's calculation method is probably better suited to point out how well the teams are doing than simply comparing the results.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The problem is pretty easy to explain: Most of the games we dropped points last year have already taken place and we couldn't capatalize this season, in fact we're three points behind last season's tally. If we beat Hull next week we'll have 40 points after half of the season and need to go on a 16 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss-run in the second half of the season to match the 90 points from last season. Are we good enough to do this? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Unlikely considering our injury problems and difficult away games at Eastlands, the Emirates, Goodison Park, Villa Park etc.
Taking everything into account so far the top teams are on course to the following points:

United: 87 (+4)

As you can clearly see there are major flaws in these calculations; First of all there is no way Spurs or City are only going to finish with 54 and 59 points respectively. Peterstorey's calculation method is probably better suited to point out how well the teams are doing than simply comparing the results.
We won't need 90 points to win the league.

Anduin

We won't need 90 points to win the league.
Probably not, but we'll need around 86-87 and we're unlikely to get there, even with all our first team player coming back. Nothing to do with today's game though, we should have avoided dropping points against the likes of Sunderland at home, Burnley away or Villa at home. Fulham at Craven Cottage was always going to be a very difficult fixture.

Merman

United: 87 (+4)

Well, we're comparing different things. I'm comparing this season's games against the exact same opposition from last season and we haven't been doing too badly.

Merman

Probably not, but we'll need around 86-87 and we're unlikely to get there, even with all our first team player coming back. Nothing to do with today's game though, we should have avoided dropping points against the likes of Sunderland at home, Burnley away or Villa at home. Fulham at Craven Cottage was always going to be a very difficult fixture.
You see, the points we have dropped against the likes of Villa and Burnley, we picked up elsewhere. Which is why, we're only three points behind from the same fixtures.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The thing is, we're not the only title contender dropping silly points and we are the only title contender who won't be losing players in the ACN. You can't directly compare this season with last.

FWIW, I think there's every chance we won't win the league this season, for all sorts of reasons. I'm not too bothered though and I still think we'll be there or thereabouts.

Anduin

You can't directly compare this season with last.
Well, you can, at least it gives a decent indication how the teams are doing overall beside the obvious look at the current table.
As I already said peterstorey's calculation is a lot better though.

Edit: I had United at +4 above, my fault. We're certainly on -3 at the moment.

Merman

Updated. Improved our goal difference again. We're scoring a lot of goals this season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Updated. That is 18 more goals we've scored so far this season:eek:
I did a thread on this the other day. I suggested that we're not missing Ronaldo as much as is implied, and these figures back that up.

That said, maybe Ronaldo would have nicked one or two in the games where we've dropped points.

I'm convinced that we have a potent side, when it's properly balanced - ie with defenders!

Merman

I did a thread on this the other day. I suggested that we're not missing Ronaldo as much as is implied, and these figures back that up.

That said, maybe Ronaldo would have nicked one or two in the games where we've dropped points.

I'm convinced that we have a potent side, when it's properly balanced - ie with defenders!
I think Ronaldo could've made a difference against Burnley and Villa, but we missed a penalty against Burnley and played with a makeshift defence against Villa(and Rooney was unlucky not to score).

pillory

I have one of these myself going back to 92/93. We're having a slightly strange season when it comes to scoring. On the one hand we're on course to our second highest goal tally since then, and we've never scored 3+ more often, but at the same time it's or second worst season since 92 in terms of drawing blanks.

Laphroaig

I have one of these myself going back to 92/93. We're having a slightly strange season when it comes to scoring. On the one hand we're on course to our second highest goal tally since then, and we've never scored 3+ more often, but at the same time it's or second worst season since 92 in terms of drawing blanks.
That's not a surprising couple of stats to be honest. Today was our 13th game in which we've scored three or more, I think. How many of those do we usually have a season?

In fact, in the last 18 games we've scored three or more 10 times. Great! And in five of those we've drawn blanks. Poor! We're being rather ridiculous, aren't we?

pillory

Hi, I'm Merman.

Code:
Team                      2009/10       2008/09     P(GD)

Birmingham(H)              W(1-0)        W(1-0)      0(0)
Burnley(A)                 L(0-1)        W(5-0)      -3(-6)
Wigan(A)                   W(5-0)        W(2-1)      0(+4)
Arsenal(H)                 W(2-1)        D(0-0)      +2(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Spurs(A)                   W(3-1)        D(0-0)      +2(+2)
City(H)                    W(4-3)        W(2-0)      0(-1)
Stoke City(A)              W(2-0)        W(1-0)      0(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Sunderland(H)              D(2-2)        W(1-0)      -2(-1)
Bolton(H)                  W(2-1)        W(2-0)      0(-1)
Liverpool(A)               L(0-2)        L(1-2)      0(-1)
Blackburn(H)               W(2-0)        W(2-1)      0(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Chelsea(A)                 L(0-1)        D(1-1)      -1(-1)
Everton(H)                 W(3-0)        W(1-0)      0(+2)
Portsmouth(A)              W(4-1)        W(1-0)      0(+2)
West Ham(A)                W(4-0)        W(1-0)      0(+3)
Aston Villa(H)             L(0-1)        W(3-2)      -3(-2)
Wolves(H)                  W(3-0)        D(1-1)      +2(+3)
Fulham(A)                  L(0-3)        L(0-2)      0(-1)
Hull City(A)               W(3-1)        W(1-0)      0(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Wigan(H)                   W(5-0)        W(1-0)      0(+4)
Birmingham(B)              D(1-1)        W(2-0)      -2(-2)
Burnley(H)                 W(3-0)        W(4-0)      0(-1)
Hull(H)                    W(4-0)        W(4-3)      0(+3)
Arsenal(B)                 W(3-1)        L(1-2)      3(+3)

Total Points                 53            55
Goals Scored                 56            38
Goals Conceded               20            15
Goal Difference              36            23

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Hi, I'm Merman.

Code:
Team                      2009/10       2008/09     P(GD)

Birmingham(H)              W(1-0)        W(1-0)      0(0)
Burnley(A)                 L(0-1)        W(5-0)      -3(-6)
Wigan(A)                   W(5-0)        W(2-1)      0(+4)
Arsenal(H)                 W(2-1)        D(0-0)      +2(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Spurs(A)                   W(3-1)        D(0-0)      +2(+2)
City(H)                    W(4-3)        W(2-0)      0(-1)
Stoke City(A)              W(2-0)        W(1-0)      0(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Sunderland(H)              D(2-2)        W(1-0)      -2(-1)
Bolton(H)                  W(2-1)        W(2-0)      0(-1)
Liverpool(A)               L(0-2)        L(1-2)      0(-1)
Blackburn(H)               W(2-0)        W(2-1)      0(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Chelsea(A)                 L(0-1)        D(1-1)      -1(-1)
Everton(H)                 W(3-0)        W(1-0)      0(+2)
Portsmouth(A)              W(4-1)        W(1-0)      0(+2)
West Ham(A)                W(4-0)        W(1-0)      0(+3)
Aston Villa(H)             L(0-1)        W(3-2)      -3(-2)
Wolves(H)                  W(3-0)        D(1-1)      +2(+3)
Fulham(A)                  L(0-3)        L(0-2)      0(-1)
Hull City(A)               W(3-1)        W(1-0)      0(+[SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE])
Wigan(H)                   W(5-0)        W(1-0)      0(+4)
Birmingham(B)              D(1-1)        W(2-0)      -2(-2)
Burnley(H)                 W(3-0)        W(4-0)      0(-1)
Hull(H)                    W(4-0)        W(4-3)      0(+3)
Arsenal(B)                 W(3-1)        L(1-2)      3(+3)

Total Points                 53            55
Goals Scored                 56            38
Goals Conceded               20            15
Goal Difference              36            23
Thanks Merman.

The goals for column really is amazing.

Who'd have thought we'd sell TBITW and Tevez, replacing them with Antonio "3 goals a season" Valencia and Michael "I was good in the 90s" Owen then go on to score almost 0.5 goals per game more. Weird.