Gaming Retro Gaming Consoles

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Anyone got any old or rare gaming Consoles still?

I've still got an old amiga CD32 in great condition. I used to have a dreamcast too but pretty sure my mum gave that away to a younger cousin years ago.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Still rocking a Dreamcast, N64 and a playstation 1.

Have set up a emulator co sole on my raspberry pi though, SNES, coin ops and playstation 2.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yes. Way older than a CD32 too.

I won't list everything, but I among my collection that I love, I have dev kits of NES/Master system which go back to the 80's and I also own original Turbogfx16 and Jaguar prototypes. Pride and joy is still an original yaroze (which is how I broke into game development) followed by a mint Panasonic Q.

The only thing I wanted and never got my hands on was a Sam Coupe. Not really a "console" in those terms, but it was the first specific machine designed like that to play games and was still the best version of Prince of Persia.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC

I won't list everything, but I among my collection that I love, I have dev kits of NES/Master system which go back to the 80's and I also own original Turbogfx16 and Jaguar prototypes. Pride and joy is still an original yaroze (which is how I broke into game development) followed by a mint Panasonic Q.

The only thing I wanted and never got my hands on was a Sam Coupe. Not really a "console" in those terms, but it was the first specific machine designed like that to play games and was still the best version of Prince of Persia.
Oh redlambs you'll need to share a few pics for us, I haven't even heard of some of those you've listed. I'm intrigued!

Whats your 5 favourite Consoles you've owned?

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Still rocking a Dreamcast, N64 and a playstation 1.

Have set up a emulator co sole on my raspberry pi though, SNES, coin ops and playstation 2.
Keep meaning to setup an emulator myself and build a gaming table from my pi.

I stupidly chucked my ps1 with about 200 chipped games during my uni days as didn't have enough room to bring it back home. Bomberman, future cop, premier league manager 98 were some of my favourite games back on the ps1

cj_sparky

MB Vectrex, that was handed down to me from my sister. Is the oldest.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Master System II in excellent condition, couple of Mega Drives that still work, and an Atari ST.

Champ

I stupidly chucked my ps1 with about 200 chipped games during my uni days as didn't have enough room to bring it back home. Bomberman, future cop, premier league manager 98 were some of my favourite games back on the ps1
Premier manager was incredible.

I had the N64 version, remember being blown away by the 3D highlights. :lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
On a related note, I have seen there are multiple handheld devices focused on emulation out there in the market - like Analogue Pocket, Miyoo Mini. However most of them require you to load ROMs from a laptop and I don’t even own a personal computer anymore as I use my work laptop for pretty much everything, however it won’t be good for this purpose as I cannot connect any external devices.

Are there any handheld emulators that will allow me to load games directly from the web?

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Premier manager was incredible.

I had the N64 version, remember being blown away by the 3D highlights. :lol:
Hagi was unreal in it. And that French defender too whose name is escaping me! Was such a good football manager game. I'd dare say the best ever on PlayStation, much better than lma manager!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Both very cool. Yaroze is the black ps1, right? I bet that's worth a fortune

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I still have my PS4. Could be worth a few bob but I'd need to look for a collector and I cba :(

Champ

Hagi was unreal in it. And that French defender too whose name is escaping me! Was such a good football manager game. I'd dare say the best ever on PlayStation, much better than lma manager!
LMA manager was rock hard, and the interface wasn't anywhere near as attractive as PM.

Pity the PM series turned to crap later down the line.

GueRed

I have a ZX Spectrum 128k lying about.

Also got one of these stuffed in a plastic bag somewhere. Were all the rage back in the 80's (up there with skateboards and karate classes)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
On a related note, I have seen there are multiple handheld devices focused on emulation out there in the market - like Analogue Pocket, Miyoo Mini. However most of them require you to load ROMs from a laptop and I don’t even own a personal computer anymore as I use my work laptop for pretty much everything, however it won’t be good for this purpose as I cannot connect any external devices.

Are there any handheld emulators that will allow me to load games directly from the web?
If they’re using external memory, just download roms onto your phone and transfer them with a card reader.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Got loads of emulators and games on my PC - all the classics on MAME - Scramble is still a favourite.

Also got a load of Pub Quiz games working but that took a bit more work had to create a Windows XP VM and run them on that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I still have every Sony console and they all boot up, I think, or did before, they're in the attic at my parent's house.

Actually I did give the PS4 to charity and it was still working.

They're crazy reliable.

Also have a megadrive lying around somewhere.

oh and I have a "modded" original Xbox too - that was fecking great for "free" games and watching media back in the day.

Hoof the ball

I have a ZX Spectrum 128k lying about.

Also got one of these stuffed in a plastic bag somewhere. Were all the rage back in the 80's (up there with skateboards and karate classes)
Fecking Paperboy. That shit used to make my child blood boil. Fecking remote control cars, dogs, drains would send you flying off your bike.

dellboyy

There are a bunch of emulation consoles you can pick up from places like AliExpress, they come with roms preloaded on the memory card (you can also still add other roms yourself if you wish). A mate had one that looked great called Super Console X Cube, so i picked one up.

Problem is you can't guarantee quality, and the first one stopped working after a week. The second one i picked up has been working great for almost a year now though, used it a lot.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Yeah I had to chuck mine when I moved to Singapore the other year, which was sad. I gave it to a neighbour who had a load of kids. The faster Japanese version of Tekken 3 was so good. Can't remember what happened to the Megadrive II.

I've only got the N64 these days. The last time I set it up -for the first time i years- it take ages to get used to the single stick controller. It felt like it was from the dark ages, but Goldeneye was revolutionary, particularly as a multiplayer, in its day.

Red_Aaron

Threads like these make me sad.
I've had so many over the years but always sold them on / traded them in.

I wish I had all my originals now, I love the idea of collecting the oldies but the market is fckin extortionate now to start from scratch

TheReligion

Abusive
I played Sensible World of Soccer a bunch on my Amiga. The career mode was way ahead of it's time.

The actual gameplay was hard as nails though. the CPU just did everything so fast. Winning a game felt like a true accomplishment.
Agreed with both bits.

Was a hard game. The curling shots from range remind me of Antony :lol:

A man built for SWOS!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Bought Miyoo Mini Plus the other day, a friend has sorted me with a bunch of top ROMs (I asked to only have GBC/GBA games and only 100 per each maximum) and I'm in awe with how amazing this little thing is. I wanted to buy GBA with an IPS screen and pick up some games but given the prices I preferred to go with a cheap Miyoo option.

SirAF

Ageist
Not rare, but I still have the N64 and Sega Mega Drive 2.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Bought Miyoo Mini Plus the other day, a friend has sorted me with a bunch of top ROMs (I asked to only have GBC/GBA games and only 100 per each maximum) and I'm in awe with how amazing this little thing is. I wanted to buy GBA with an IPS screen and pick up some games but given the prices I preferred to go with a cheap Miyoo option.
Looks great. What are you playing?