Gaming Retro Video Game Thread

EvilChuck

There was a thing on Sky Arts a few weeks back, I guess it'd be relevant to this thread over any other, and wouldnt have enough interest to warrant one on its own. It was a concert by a full orchestra and they were playing retro video game music, even the old 8bit music translated well to a full orchestra

Mystry

Friendship is magic
There is a simple solution for getting stuck in metroid. Bomb it. If it doesn't get destroyed it will at least show what weapon you should use.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Snake, Rattle and Roll, now that was a classic. Spent ages trying to get past that ice level, but never managed it.

Buggy Boy, Chase HQ, Settlers, Xenon 2, Better Dead Than Alien and Theme Park are all games I remember loving on the Amiga.
Buggy Boy! those sound FX were just incredible. Loves the 'south' track as you could drive through the sea. Good times.

Turrican 2 was my Amiga game of choice. Hard as feck. Amazing soundtrack.

Oh, and Sensible World of Soccer. Again, just so hard! Games are so easy nowadays in comparison.

Dante

Average bang
My entire childhood was spent playing Speedball 2, Ultimate Soccer Manager and Super Monaco GP.

vanthaman

Winner
My entire childhood was spent playing Speedball 2, Ultimate Soccer Manager and Super Monaco GP.
I had USM 98. It let you build your stadium, sort out sponsors, and how much you charge for tickets and hot dogs etc.. and it let you offer and take bribes, and bet on your team to win or lose,

EvilChuck

I was looking online at old consoles, I can't believe an unboxed SNES for example is only worth like £40. I was tempted to buy up a few old consoles that I dont have any more, just for nostalgia. I also saw that Perfect Dark on N64 used and unboxed was £5 on Amazon, and the same game new and boxed was worth £500 :eek:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
That would be an average price for some games, but you can get a sealed Perfect Dark on eBay for about £130 (or less than £50 if you don't mind an American copy). I guess that bloke's just trying his luck :D

But yeah, certain games can go for a lot. My most wanted game is Demon's crest, but a complete PAL copy is usually £250-300+ :(

This is nothing though compared to the £10,000+ some games go for :lol:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Asteroids, Galaxian, Gorf, Defender, 10 yard fight, Burnin' Rubber, Burger Time, 1942, Ikari Warriors, Shao-Lin's Road, Jackal, Slap Fight, Nemesis, R-Type, Kung Fu Master, Revenge of Shinobi, Double Dragon, Gyruss, Xevious, Battle Zone, Phoenix, Golden Axe....I could go on and on.

Thank goodness for MAME

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth

Duck Tales Remastered announced
I completed both duck takes and duck tales 2 for the Nes, epic games!

Thank god for emulators, i have a nes, snes, mega drive, c64 and zx spectrum on my pc.

That's right ladies, i'm single.

Bebe

I know it's not retro, but I just finished playing prince of Persia the sands of time yesterday. 10 years old and still better than anything out there today.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Well it's become a pretty big urban legend so I guess if they have the chance to find something it'd be pretty exciting :p

Who knows, they might find an unreleased/unknown prototype or two or something buried alongside it which would be quite nice :D

Goooose

Ah right. I thought it was definitely true that they just buried every remaining copy. I bet people who already have it are a bit disappointed that they'll no longer have such a rare item. Well, it'll still be rare, but not as much.

I want to play it.

Tribec

I found this site recently and yes it's very much retro gaming...

http://www.virtualatari.org/

Over 500 Atari 2600 games available to play online... Took me right back to my very first home computer game experience, to think from this I stepped up to a 48k Spectrum, and was totally amazed by the improved graphics and sound. Laughable today I guess.

I hadn't noticed the Atari comments above, ET though is available to play...

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I found this site recently and yes it's very much retro gaming...

http://www.virtualatari.org/

Over 500 Atari 2600 games available to play online... Took me right back to my very first home computer game experience, to think from this I stepped up to a 48k Spectrum, and was totally amazed by the improved graphics and sound. Laughable today I guess.

I hadn't noticed the Atari comments above, ET though is available to play...
I started with a ZX Spectrum that father christmas brought me and spent most of my childhood playing a football management game called 'The Double' it was well ahead of it's time, 3 divisions because of memory restrictions, you didn't choose your club, you got gicen one from the 3rd division at the start of the game. It was really hard, afrer 8 games there would be a list of players available for transfer and you could send scouts to watch them.
The only indication you had on how good a player was, was his wage.

It genuinely was one of the hardest football management games ever!

vanthaman

Winner
I started with a ZX Spectrum that father christmas brought me and spent most of my childhood playing a football management game called 'The Double' it was well ahead of it's time, 3 divisions because of memory restrictions, you didn't choose your club, you got gicen one from the 3rd division at the start of the game. It was really hard, afrer 8 games there would be a list of players available for transfer and you could send scouts to watch them.
The only indication you had on how good a player was, was his wage.

It genuinely was one of the hardest football management games ever!
Reminds me a bit of Football Manager in atari, you'd choose any team but would always start in Division 4, then every week or so you'd get a choice of 2 random players to sign if you wanted them/could afford their wages etc.. Spent hours on that game

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
20 odd years later....still cannot beat grim reaper on castlevania part 1.

I nearly broke the 3ds rage quitting.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

One of my favourite ever games.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Play Ghosts'n Goblins, then when you go back to Castlevania it'll seem easy.

Is it actually good? I always thought it seemed like a game based on McDonalds would be pretty bad, but from some videos it looks alright.
I loved it as a kid. I played it a few years back and enjoyed it, difficult to say how much of it was that beautiful sentimental feeling you get playing a game from childhood when you recognise certain things and remember where bonuses are.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This thread is officially awesome!

Anybody remember Rygar on the NES? I left it paused overnight (without my parents knowing) sp that i could complete that fecker when i was a kid. Brilliant game with incredible music.

Goonies 2, Batman, Wizards and Warriors and Double Dragon 2 were other favourites of mine.