Gaming Returnal (PS5)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
You tried Repentance yet?

I've have barely put it down for the last month and I'm still yet to beat the true ending, although I've unlocked about half a dozen tainted characters.
I have to wait for the console version as I don't have a gaming PC. Looks super difficult though from watching people like Hutts and Sinvicta

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I just like the little things too, like the noise it makes and the rumble you get in the controller when your alt weapon is ready. Just a really neat touch. That reloading mechanic is still hit and miss. Sometimes I can nail it, other times I feck it up depending on how many enemies I'm fighting. Obviously, because it's the same button as the fire button, I find myself spamming the button a lot and just jamming my gun when it comes to reloading.

And here's a tip that I read somewhere on the internet:
Sleeping in Helios gives you back full integrity.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What are people spending ether on? I don't want to spend them on anything in case I need it for something important later in the game.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Played a bit more today and took down the first boss on the second try. I really hope they implement some sort of save function though. Got to the second area and had to stop. I know I can put it in rest mode, but still. That's not a great workaround, to be honest. Loving the game though. Very addictive.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can’t believe it, I’ve bloody finished it in 14 hours. Honestly I didn’t find it that hard. 14 deaths but the shock ive just faced seeing the credits roll. I basically completed it in two major runs. A run where I went from 1-3 without dying. The game then resets you and after afew deaths in biome 4, I just went on another massive run beating boss 4 and 5.

I’m not finished with the game but just shocked that I’ve pretty much finished it that quickly. Don’t think I’m even that good :lol:

RedDevilRoshi

Halfway through this and really enjoying it. One of those games that you just can’t wait to get back to playing it.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Been playing this weekend as my mate visited with his PS5 and now the desire to buy a PS5 has become more urgent! It felt very close to gaming perfection. Apart from the fecking half press adaptive trigger bullshit which is just horrible.

Bosws87

Got the hang of it now.

Are people doing full runs then going to the boss after finding them or just getting a gun they like and running straight to the boss and getting it out the way?

TrustInJanuzaj

Got the hang of it now.

Are people doing full runs then going to the boss after finding them or just getting a gun they like and running straight to the boss and getting it out the way?
Personally, I just cleared every room I could before going for the boss. My reason being, I'd amass the highest health that I could and also the best weapon/proficiency rating too. The biggest issue is when you get onto the boss with low health so I'd recommend buying a big healing potion thing which is sold for 150 credits in each world. You can also sleep at your ship or on those stone bed things.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Best Hyperion, think that’s the easiest boss so far?
Also anyone having issues with trophies unlocking? Just realised half of mine haven’t been unlocked when they should have been :(

TrustInJanuzaj

Best Hyperion, think that’s the easiest boss so far?
Also anyone having issues with trophies unlocking? Just realised half of mine haven’t been unlocked when they should have been :(
Apparently some are bugged which isn’t great. Hopefully the new patch fixes that. To be honest once you’ve beaten the boss once though it’s quite easy to beat them again if that unlocks the trophy. Funny Hyperion took me a couple of attempts but once I got the hang of it he really isn’t too bad.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Apparently some are bugged which isn’t great. Hopefully the new patch fixes that. To be honest once you’ve beaten the boss once though it’s quite easy to beat them again if that unlocks the trophy. Funny Hyperion took me a couple of attempts but once I got the hang of it he really isn’t too bad.
Yeah I restarted the game and unlocked a trophy straight away after I’d collected something, so hopefully the others will unlock as and when I do them.

When you finish the game is it free roam?

Woodzy

Still can't beat the first boss. Got close a couple of times.

Annoying when you get the run from hell trying to get to the boss. On the other side though, I got to the boss room by sprinting through just two doors on one run - mad how random it is.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeah I restarted the game and unlocked a trophy straight away after I’d collected something, so hopefully the others will unlock as and when I do them.

When you finish the game is it free roam?
Yeh technically even once you beat the bosses and the credits roll you only actually finish act 2. There’s more collectibles you need to get to finish act 3. I had a look at some trophy guides and it does sound pretty tedious to the get the plantinum so I’ll see where I’m at if I can finish act 3.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I can’t believe it, I’ve bloody finished it in 14 hours. Honestly I didn’t find it that hard. 14 deaths but the shock ive just faced seeing the credits roll. I basically completed it in two major runs. A run where I went from 1-3 without dying. The game then resets you and after afew deaths in biome 4, I just went on another massive run beating boss 4 and 5.

I’m not finished with the game but just shocked that I’ve pretty much finished it that quickly. Don’t think I’m even that good :lol:
Doesn't sound like a huge amount of game for the price tbh.

TrustInJanuzaj

Doesn't sound like a huge amount of game for the price tbh.
No I have to admit I expected more. But then looking at stuff online it says people are taking 30-40 hours to complete it so maybe I’m just a god? Seriously though I’m not so maybe they mean collecting things in the free roam at the end which I can imagine takes ages.

Bosws87

Got into the swing of it now on the second boss, its basically Resogun in 3d exact same mechanics.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Had my first chance to have a 'proper' session on this today and got to the first boss after a couple of runs (shortly after discovering how to melee). Killed me on his third form with those bloody melee attacks. Didn't seem that bad though.

Still only getting the hang of the mechanics with the ether and other consumables. What's the best use of either seeing as it's the only thing that carries over after a death?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Had my first chance to have a 'proper' session on this today and got to the first boss after a couple of runs (shortly after discovering how to melee). Killed me on his third form with those bloody melee attacks. Didn't seem that bad though.

Still only getting the hang of the mechanics with the ether and other consumables. What's the best use of either seeing as it's the only thing that carries over after a death?
Replicators are useful but they cost 6 ethers so I’d only use them sparingly.

b82REZ

After experiencing a couple of crashes I've decided to shelf this until they patch it.

I absolutely loved it when I played it, but losing an hour or two worth of progress is heartbreaking.

I understand why they're reluctant to add checkpoints, but other roguelikes manage to have a save system without it being exploitable.

It really is a very good game though.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
After experiencing a couple of crashes I've decided to shelf this until they patch it.

I absolutely loved it when I played it, but losing an hour or two worth of progress is heartbreaking.

I understand why they're reluctant to add checkpoints, but other roguelikes manage to have a save system without it being exploitable.

Yeah I had an issue where I couldn't get through the first door the other day. Turns out an update meant you couldn't use the bonus suits. :rolleyes:

b82REZ

Yeah I had an issue where I couldn't get through the first door the other day. Turns out an update meant you couldn't use the bonus suits. :rolleyes:
I've changed back to the default skin now, but I had the same issue the other day. I had to restart the cycle.

Surely with the community backlash to the lack of saving, HM have to patch it in soonish.

Ainu

I know it's not the same genre, but a save system like the Souls games seems perfect for this. You'd have to go into the console's data management and back up saves to an external device to exploit it. Ok, it's possible, but how many people are going to bother with it?

TrustInJanuzaj

Quick question for others in the thread, so I've never really played the souls games but I've really enjoyed this. For anyone who has played both, how does the difficulty of this compare with Dark Souls or Demon Souls? After playing this and getting over the bosses I'm a little keener to try the dark soul's games now as that adrenaline rush I got in this seems hard to match.

Siorac

I know it's not the same genre, but a save system like the Souls games seems perfect for this. You'd have to go into the console's data management and back up saves to an external device to exploit it. Ok, it's possible, but how many people are going to bother with it?
And also, it's a single player game. If anyone bothers doing that, that's their problem. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. I'm also willing to bet that the vast majority of Souls players never actually did it, and possibly doesn't even know how to do it.

Siorac

Quick question for others in the thread, so I've never really played the souls games but I've really enjoyed this. For anyone who has played both, how does the difficulty of this compare with Dark Souls or Demon Souls? After playing this and getting over the bosses I'm a little keener to try the dark soul's games now as that adrenaline rush I got in this seems hard to match.
I haven't played this one yet but generally speaking, the Souls games are a bit more forgiving than roguelikes/roguelites like this. You don't lose weapons/stats/buffs upon death, you generally don't lose hours of progress either - once you know the game, any run between two bonfires in Dark Souls takes five minutes at most if you don't bother with fighting enemies.

If you're looking for that adrenaline rush that comes from overcoming a boss that seemed impossible at first then I absolutely do recommend trying out the Souls games. The Demon's Souls remake on PS5 is a great place to start.

TrustInJanuzaj

I haven't played this one yet but generally speaking, the Souls games are a bit more forgiving than roguelikes/roguelites like this. You don't lose weapons/stats/buffs upon death, you generally don't lose hours of progress either - once you know the game, any run between two bonfires in Dark Souls takes five minutes at most if you don't bother with fighting enemies.

If you're looking for that adrenaline rush that comes from overcoming a boss that seemed impossible at first then I absolutely do recommend trying out the Souls games. The Demon's Souls remake on PS5 is a great place to start.
Okay cool. I actually already have Dark Souls 2 which I bought on sale ages ago so maybe I could start there. I really want to play the demon souls remake, but not sure I'm willing to buy it full price, especially so soon after investing in Returnal. I'll try and pick it up down the line. Would you recommend playing the dark souls games in order? Or can I just start with two?

Ainu

Okay cool. I actually already have Dark Souls 2 which I bought on sale ages ago so maybe I could start there. I really want to play the demon souls remake, but not sure I'm willing to buy it full price, especially so soon after investing in Returnal. I'll try and pick it up down the line. Would you recommend playing the dark souls games in order? Or can I just start with two?
The order doesn't really matter but Dark Souls 2 is considered the weakest entry in the series, I would advise against it as a starting point. I haven't checked the store but I'd assume you should be able to pick up games like Dark Souls remastered or Bloodborne for a decent price.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Start with Bloodborne (it’s free on the PS Plus collection).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I had this issue aswell, only happened once mind but was frustrating. Also half the trophies I should have got haven’t unlocked, but I suppose that just gives me another reason to play through when I’ve finished it :lol:

Siorac

The order doesn't really matter but Dark Souls 2 is considered the weakest entry in the series, I would advise against it as a starting point. I haven't checked the store but I'd assume you should be able to pick up games like Dark Souls remastered or Bloodborne for a decent price.
Yeah I'd go for Bloodborne on the PS Plus. Dark Souls Remastered is currently full price (€40) on the PS Store.

TrustInJanuzaj

Start with Bloodborne (it’s free on the PS Plus collection).
I've played 10 hours of bloodborne and was enjoying it. I'm maybe naively waiting for a proper PS5 update though for 60FPS whereas correct me if I'm wrong but the other dark soul's games have had enhancements.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeah I'd go for Bloodborne on the PS Plus. Dark Souls Remastered is currently full price (€40) on the PS Store.
How good is the Dark Souls Remaster? Has it brought it in line with the newer Dark Souls titles?

Apologies for derailing this thread slightly here!