Gaming Returnal (PS5)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Hows everyone getting on with this? Anyone else had the credits roll on Act 2?

My issue is I'm just struggling to motivate myself to go back into the runs now that I've beaten the main bosses and I'm simply grinding to get the right collectable drops. It's a very hard (repetitive) platinum from the guides I've seen so I doubt I'll ever manage that but I also don't really have the motivation to go in and finish Act 3 although I'd like to try.
I’ve put it on hold whilst I’m playing RE8 but I will be getting back to it. Finding the Frozen Wastelands very difficult though!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Haven't played a massive amount of it because i was going to wait for some sort of save feature, but i did play on the weekend and yesterday a bit. Beat the second boss, got to the thrid boss last night and got him down to his third phase and the fecker killed me. I think he's very beatable though. May have a go later after the football.

I do like the third biome, though. I really love the look of it, although some of the enemies are a pain in the arse.

I wasn't much of a fan of the second biome.
See I actually quite enjoy the second one because of how open it is, makes it a fair bit easier than some of the more congested areas although you could argue that's a large part of the chaotic fun. Aesthetically, I really liked 3,4 and 6. If you haven't seen six (wasn't shown in reviews or previews) that one will shock you.

TrustInJanuzaj

I’ve put it on hold whilst I’m playing RE8 but I will be getting back to it. Finding the Frozen Wastelands very difficult though!
To be fair it does feel like a game you can put down and pick up in spells. Think without that save system you need to know you can play almost unrestricted for 1-3 hours at a time, which is quite demanding. I really enjoyed the frozen one the first time around and that was partly because when I first went there I was on a massive run and went in pretty stacked out in terms of health and gear. On following runs, I've found it much harder. There are some very tough mini-bosses in worlds 4/5 though. Funnily enough world 6 isn't that hard in my opinion but it does add some unique features if you haven't yet seen it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
See I actually quite enjoy the second one because of how open it is, makes it a fair bit easier than some of the more congested areas although you could argue that's a large part of the chaotic fun. Aesthetically, I really liked 3,4 and 6. If you haven't seen six (wasn't shown in reviews or previews) that one will shock you.
Yeah, that is one good aspect of it. I do find myself falling off the edges in biome 3 when things get a bit chaotic, and that is incredibly annoying due to how much health it takes off you. I suppose I meant I didn't like biome 2 aesthetically. Just found it quite boring to look at.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Beat the third boss last night. Now on Act 2. That third phase of the boss was some bullshit though!

Really liked the look of biome 3 overall. Most interesting one so far

Riz

To be fair it does feel like a game you can put down and pick up in spells. Think without that save system you need to know you can play almost unrestricted for 1-3 hours at a time, which is quite demanding.
That’s the bit I’m struggling with, I’ll finish work but don’t see much point in starting a new run that I know I won’t be able to see through to a boss kill. If they could just implement a save feature rather than rest mode would be a lot more addictive.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That’s the bit I’m struggling with, I’ll finish work but don’t see much point in starting a new run that I know I won’t be able to see through to a boss kill. If they could just implement a save feature rather than rest mode would be a lot more addictive.
Yeah, i feel the same way. Yesterday i was able to have a good crack at it, but up until that point if i know i got an hour spare i just don't bother with it becuase i know i'll have to abandon it. It's frustrating becuase the game is excellent apart from that.

And i haven't got the data to back this up, but i can't help but think this is harming the game's sales. It's aksing a lot of its players and most people are not willing to sacrifice so much time.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, i feel the same way. Yesterday i was able to have a good crack at it, but up until that point if i know i got an hour spare i just don't bother with it becuase i know i'll have to abandon it. It's frustrating becuase the game is excellent apart from that.

And i haven't got the data to back this up, but i can't help but think this is harming the game's sales. It's aksing a lot of its players and most people are not willing to sacrifice so much time.
I don't think the data will back that up. There's not enough noise about it, there's some, but not a lot. I feel like the perceived difficulty and the 70 note price tag had done the most damage. How much? We'll find out when the numbers come in.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don't think the data will back that up. There's not enough noise about it, there's some, but not a lot. I feel like the perceived difficulty and the 70 note price tag had done the most damage. How much? We'll find out when the numbers come in.
I hope it does well because I like Housemarque and I do think it's a great game. But there's probably a multitude of reasons why it may not. Price, difficulty, and it is a very demanding and niche game (partly due to the lack of save feature). I know it debuted well, but it has now dropped out of the top ten in physical sales.

Balljy

I'll be interested to see what they come up with. They obviously can't implement a normal save system as that will allow people just to go back to previous saves if they die etc and defy the whole point of it being a Rogue-Lite.

Maybe something where you can suspend the playthrough through the save to pick it up later, but any death deletes the save automatically?

b82REZ

I'll be interested to see what they come up with. They obviously can't implement a normal save system as that will allow people just to go back to previous saves if they die etc and defy the whole point of it being a Rogue-Lite.

Maybe something where you can suspend the playthrough through the save to pick it up later, but any death deletes the save automatically?
Binding of Isaac and all the other top roguelikes manage to have save systems them aren't easily exploitable.

The lack of saving has really limited by time with this so far. I can't understand how anyone at the studio thought this was a good idea, even more surprised no one at Sony questioned their decision to basically take people's console hostage.

Balljy

Binding of Isaac and all the other top roguelikes manage to have save systems them aren't easily exploitable.

The lack of saving has really limited by time with this so far. I can't understand how anyone at the studio thought this was a good idea, even more surprised no one at Sony questioned their decision to basically take people's console hostage.
Agreed, it was a bad decision. How do they do the save systems - is it just a save that does delete itself on death?

b82REZ

Agreed, it was a bad decision. How do they do the save systems - is it just a save that does delete itself on death?
Basically checkpoints after you clear a room. Technically, easily exploitable but the types of players that will exploit save scumming will always find a way.

For me devs are being a little too protective over their artistic vision. They clearly wanted to make a hard game, but the choices they have made have made it inaccessible to your average gamer. I say this as someone who loves the genre and has thousands of hours in other roguelike games and I'm struggling to motivate myself to play it outside of a few runs at weekends. At which point I'm usually rusty as feck so keep dying.

Ainu

I really don't see how this is even a question of artistic vision. The type of save people are asking for is functionally exactly the same a using the PS5's rest mode, only a lot more reliable and it frees up the PS5 for other games. It doesn't make the game even a tiny fraction easier, unless you count losing runs to crashes, other family members or updates during rest mode as intended difficulty. It's such a no-brainer I'm baffled by them claiming they're still looking into a solution but don't know what it is yet in that tweet. Stop thinking about it and just implement it!

b82REZ

I really don't see how this is even a question of artistic vision. The type of save people are asking for is functionally exactly the same a using the PS5's rest mode, only a lot more reliable and it frees up the PS5 for other games. It doesn't make the game even a tiny fraction easier, unless you count losing runs to crashes, other family members or updates during rest mode as intended difficulty. It's such a no-brainer I'm baffled by them claiming they're still looking into a solution but don't know what it is yet in that tweet. Stop thinking about it and just implement it!
Not as simple as that.

The choice to not include it from the outset means they probably have to recode huge amounts to implement anything.

I think it'll be a few months away at the earliest, which is a shame.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Finally beat Phrike tonight. Was absolutely mullering everything through the desert level as well but tbh this is exactly where I would've wanted a save point because I just don't have time to keep playing tonight. Still loving the gun play and just general vibe so it's certainly one I'll keep coming back to.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
They've patched in dead scouts when playing online now btw which you can either scavenge (meh) or avenge.

There's certainly a lot more ether flying around now.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Ridiculous speed run here with some kind of gun glitch thrown into the mix

Only watched so far as not to avoid spoilers but he beats Phrike by staying close to him contrary to popular belief. Should've tried that myself.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I actually breezed through it due to picking an awesome thermogenic launcher with about 4 upgrade perks :drool:
Christ, lucky you!

I had another go last night and I had this really shitty gun. It was the one where you shoot bullets and they bounce off the surface and come back to you. But due to the environment of the last Biome that didn't work. So the gun was PAINFULLY slow at firing. Didn't have time to find another one as I got crushed!

I'm not a fan of the last Biome, to be honest. It's my least favorite. Think it's quite poor, actually.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Finally beat Phrike tonight. Was absolutely mullering everything through the desert level as well but tbh this is exactly where I would've wanted a save point because I just don't have time to keep playing tonight. Still loving the gun play and just general vibe so it's certainly one I'll keep coming back to.
Yeah, I'm on the last Biome now, and what I tend to do is when I beat a boss I just turn the game off. Because I know I can't play for much longer and going through the next biome only to turn it off halfway in is quite painful when you've collected a lot of good loot.

Beating the boss acts as a checkpoint so I know I can just go straight there when I come back later. It's not perfect, obviously, because you lose your weapons, etc. But you can just speed run back to that point in no time and pick up the proficiency artefact thing at the beginning so you're not underpowered.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yeah, I'm on the last Biome now, and what I tend to do is when I beat a boss I just turn the game off. Because I know I can't play for much longer and going through the next biome only to turn it off halfway in is quite painful when you've collected a lot of good loot.

Beating the boss acts as a checkpoint so I know I can just go straight there when I come back later. It's not perfect, obviously, because you lose your weapons, etc. But you can just speed run back to that point in no time and pick up the proficiency artefact thing at the beginning so you're not underpowered.
Cool. Do you recommend doing that or is it worthwhile smashing through a few enemies on the previous Biome first?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Cool. Do you recommend doing that or is it worthwhile smashing through a few enemies on the previous Biome first?
I sometimes go through the previous Biome first just to build my integrity a little. I would recommend doing that. Maybe find an artifact or two, but I'm not so worried about them. Once you get that proficiency upgrade in the next biome you get better weapons that way, anyway. Also, not sure if you do this, but I spend my Ether at that obelisk thing by your ship. That gives you a random item/artifact that can help you on your run.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I sometimes go through the previous Biome first just to build my integrity a little. I would recommend doing that. Maybe find an artifact or two, but I'm not so worried about them. Once you get that proficiency upgrade in the next biome you get better weapons that way, anyway. Also, not sure if you do this, but I spend my Ether at that obelisk thing by your ship. That gives you a random item/artifact that can help you on your run.
Yeah that's all I use it on tbh. Think I've got loads at the minute as well.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm hoping this goes on sale in the upcoming DOP sale.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Is Ophion the last boss? Got to him with no consumables and fairly low health so got wiped out pretty quickly.

Not overly keen on the underwater biome.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Is Ophion the last boss? Got to him with no consumables and fairly low health so got wiped out pretty quickly.

Not overly keen on the underwater biome.
I believe it is, yes.

And I'm with you on that. I think the last Biome is really poor. Didn't like it at all.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I believe it is, yes.

And I'm with you on that. I think the last Biome is really poor. Didn't like it at all.
Yeah it was my least favourite of them all.

Managed to beat the final boss - got lucky in the end as I had an artefact which gave me a 30% chance of retaining a used consumable. Managed to get 4 uses out of a large silphium vial which was enough to beat the cnut:lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Completed the game, but not sure whether I'm going to Platinum it or not. Seems to be a bit of a grind, to be honest. Anyone Platinumed it or going to?

TrustInJanuzaj

Completed the game, but not sure whether I'm going to Platinum it or not. Seems to be a bit of a grind, to be honest. Anyone Platinumed it or going to?
I’ve thought about trying but it’s a really big grind. You have to do multiple reruns in the hope you get the right rooms to spawn all of the collectibles. Once you lose the incentive of beating that boss and next world the game gets abit repetitive for me.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Had a great run earlier up until the second boss (my first encounter with him). I kind of knew he was gonna feck me up because I didn't have an extra life but I actually almost took him out first go. Died to a random melee attack on the third phase.

The carbine I had was melting everything. Ridiculous fire rate. Probably won't see another one of those for a while. Sigh.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Ixion down!

Went back fully tooled up with a bar and a half of health, 2 small health vials, 1 large, an astronaut and a level 8 hollowseeker with serrated bullets and those purple beam shots. Suffice to say I didn't need the astronaut :lol:

Damn that felt good. Might finish this before ratchet and clank at this rate.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ixion down!

Went back fully tooled up with a bar and a half of health, 2 small health vials, 1 large, an astronaut and a level 8 hollowseeker with serrated bullets and those purple beam shots. Suffice to say I didn't need the astronaut :lol:

Damn that felt good. Might finish this before ratchet and clank at this rate.
Good luck for Biome 3!

I found this Biome the hardest one, personally.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So i started collecting some trophies yesterday with the intention of getting the Platinum, but quickly realised that it ain't gonna happen

Due to the nature of the game being procedural it means that some collectibles won't always spawn so you could end up running one Biome 50+ times just to get a collectible. Then you realise that you have to do that for ALL of them. We're talking close to 100 hours, probably, and that's not happening.

It's a shame because i really like the game and would love to get the Platinum, but that's just nonsense. At least I've completed it and I'm probably gonna leave it there. Great game.