Gaming Returnal (PS5)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
So i started collecting some trophies yesterday with the intention of getting the Platinum, but quickly realised that it ain't gonna happen

Due to the nature of the game being procedural it means that some collectibles won't always spawn so you could end up running one Biome 50+ times just to get a collectible. Then you realise that you have to do that for ALL of them. We're talking close to 100 hours, probably, and that's not happening.

It's a shame because i really like the game and would love to get the Platinum, but that's just nonsense. At least I've completed it and I'm probably gonna leave it there. Great game.
Have you completed act 3 (or whatever they call it) or have you just finished act 2. I have beaten all the bosses and stuff but haven’t seen the final cutscene as I think you have to collect something extra in every biome.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Have you completed act 3 (or whatever they call it) or have you just finished act 2. I have beaten all the bosses and stuff but haven’t seen the final cutscene as I think you have to collect something extra in every biome.
Nah, I haven't. Like you, I've beaten all the bosses and seen an ending and basically completed the game, but there's another ending apparently. But you have to do all the house sequences (6 in total) THEN you have to collect these 6 sun fragments. One in each Biome, but like other collectibles, they don't always spawn. So, you have to search every area in each Biome, and if they haven't spawned you have to start your run over until they do.

I get that the game is a procedurally generated one, but this just seems like shoddy design. I really can't be arsed with all that!

b82REZ

Nah, I haven't. Like you, I've beaten all the bosses and seen an ending and basically completed the game, but there's another ending apparently. But you have to do all the house sequences (6 in total) THEN you have to collect these 6 sun fragments. One in each Biome, but like other collectibles, they don't always spawn. So, you have to search every area in each Biome, and if they haven't spawned you have to start your run over until they do.

I get that the game is a procedurally generated one, but this just seems like shoddy design. I really can't be arsed with all that!
Hate to sound like a broken record in this thread, but this is just the roguelike structure.

My advice would be is to not enter runs hoping to get certain collectibles. I play an awful lot of Binding of Isaac and similarly some of the completion criteria require you to pick up every item. Some items are so rare you're lucky if you see them once in every 100 runs.

Roguelikes are designed to offer as much replayability as possible and not to give you the tools to 100% it quickly.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Hate to sound like a broken record in this thread, but this is just the roguelike structure.

My advice would be is to not enter runs hoping to get certain collectibles. I play an awful lot of Binding of Isaac and similarly some of the completion criteria require you to pick up every item. Some items are so rare you're lucky if you see them once in every 100 runs.

Roguelikes are designed to offer as much replayability as possible and not to give you the tools to 100% it quickly.
Yeah, I know that. I've played many of them myself. I know what roguelikes are

I'm just saying I have absolutely no intention of wasting hours upon hours re-running Biomes until some random collectible shows up. It may fit the definition of replayable, but only in a very superfical way (IMO). I don't want it to sour my experience of the game, either. Becuase generally speaking it's very, very good. I don't mind the replayable nature when it's tied to difficulty/progression in the main game and getting better, but this is just tedious.

b82REZ

Yeah, I know that. I've played many of them myself. I know what roguelikes are

I'm just saying I have absolutely no intention of wasting hours upon hours re-running Biomes until some random collectible shows up. It may fit the definition of replayable, but only in a very superfical way (IMO). I don't want it to sour my experience of the game, either. Becuase generally speaking it's very, very good. I don't mind the replayable nature when it's tied to difficulty/progression in the main game and getting better, but this is just tedious.
But it's like complaining water is wet.

If you know what the structure of roguelikes are, why are you so surprised this time? F WIW people on reddit seem to indicate a platinum takes about 50 hours.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
But it's like complaining water is wet.

If you know what the structure of roguelikes are, why are you so surprised this time? F WIW people on reddit seem to indicate a platinum takes about 50 hours.
I said the other day on here that I may go for the Platinum. I played last night and dug into the trophies a bit more to see what I was missing. Realized that i couldn't be arsed to spend all that time collecting the remaining ones and decided that I'm not going to sink all those hours re-running biomes because it's going to take too much time. It's not surprise - I'm just not willing to do it. That's all!

As for the 50 hours, that's a loose estimate due to the nature of it. I've racked up the hours on it now, and I still got a load of collectibles left! So I'll definitely go over 50

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Good luck for Biome 3!

I found this Biome the hardest one, personally.
Yeah I'd heard. I had a quick suicidal run through to scope it out with the intention of dying pretty quickly so looking forward to getting some more time to take it on with a more considered approach.

Also I can now finally get to all those extra goodies I couldn't reach on the earlier areas with the grappling hook. Metroidtastic.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Had such a good run this evening - managed to do the first 3 Biomes without dying. The dreadbound is such a fun weapon.

Also picked up the sun face fragment in each, fairly easy to come across, though I may have just got lucky. Already have the one from Fractured Wastes so just two more to find.

b82REZ

@b82REZ what other rogue like games would you recommend? I have a PS5/Switch.
Binding of Isaac without a doubt. If you can get it on PC because the new DLC, Repentance, is basically a whole new game.

Hades, Slay the Spire, Rogue Leagcy and FTL are all excellent.

Other ones that are good but I've not played as much of, Enter the Gungeon, Crypt of the Necrodancer and Monster Train.

I've played a lot of shit ones as well, all the stores are filled with cheap ones that are sometimes worth a go for a couple of quid.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Binding of Isaac without a doubt. If you can get it on PC because the new DLC, Repentance, is basically a whole new game.

Hades, Slay the Spire, Rogue Leagcy and FTL are all excellent.

Other ones that are good but I've not played as much of, Enter the Gungeon, Crypt of the Necrodancer and Monster Train.

I've played a lot of shit ones as well, all the stores are filled with cheap ones that are sometimes worth a go for a couple of quid.
Thanks man, will check them out!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Didn't find Biome 3 that bad tbh. Obviously died at the boss (2nd phase) but that's mainly because I wasn't using the grappling hook enough and needed something other than Hollowseeker I think.

I'm probably spending too much time grinding in 1 and 2 as well as that run took a good 2/3 hrs. Might just level up as much as I can in 1 without going into containment rooms and then do the first bit of 2 up to the temple, hopefully picking up some decent upgrades along the way.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

The 6 fragments didn’t take me long at all, and all of mine were near the beginning of each biome. Collected all 6 so need to go and complete the game again to finish Act 3.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The 6 fragments didn’t take me long at all, and all of mine were near the beginning of each biome. Collected all 6 so need to go and complete the game again to finish Act 3.
Funny enough, I've already got 3 without even trying. I haven't really been looking for them, just been playing the game and getting some of the trophies i know i can get (Achieve 200% Max Integrity, Weapon Proficiency level 30) and I've just happened to stumple across them. So yeah, i might just do act 3 now because it seems pretty straightforward from here.

siw2007

Finally beat Ixion at what felt like the 100th time of asking. Last stretch was very tense, didn’t think I was going to do it but noticed it had little health left and just gambled in the final 5 seconds that I could beat it before it beat me, and it worked!

Played a bit of biome 3, not entirely sure I like this level but will come back to it later.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finished Act 3 - don’t think Ophion was overly difficult as a boss. Just requires a lot of movement. Not sure who I’d rank as the toughest boss, though Ixion gave me the most trouble.

Not sure whether I can be bothered going for the platinum, but overall it’s been a great game. Think my playtime is around the 40 hour mark. Hope they release a sequel and/or some DLC.

b82REZ

Finally got back on this this morning. Had an amazing run going, entered a challenge room, dodged into a wall by mistake and got absolutely ganked.

The game truly is amazing. The gameplay is so good. I really hope I get to spend a bit of time with it this week (piss off sun, I want to stay in an play games).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finally got back on this this morning. Had an amazing run going, entered a challenge room, dodged into a wall by mistake and got absolutely ganked.

The game truly is amazing. The gameplay is so good. I really hope I get to spend a bit of time with it this week (piss off sun, I want to stay in an play games).
Where are you upto?

Biome 6 actually grows on me more each time I get to it.

Also the electropylon driver is a great weapon if utilised correctly.

b82REZ

Where are you upto?

Had a few attempts at Phrike. Elecropylon is my favourite gun. I'm planning on having another few runs later.

I feel like I'm almost there, I just keep making silly mistakes and because the game can be so unforgiving it leads to me dying.

b82REZ

Where are you upto?

Beat Phrike first attempt this morning. I think he hit me once. Electropylon ripped him to shred.

Made it to the second boss but he killed me in his third stage. I struggled when he flies off screen me swoops back in.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Beat Phrike first attempt this morning. I think he hit me once. Electropylon ripped him to shred.

Made it to the second boss but he killed me in his third stage. I struggled when he flies off screen me swoops back in.
Out of all of them Ixion gave me the most trouble, think it took me 5 times to beat him. this was when I did

b82REZ

Out of all of them Ixion gave me the most trouble, think it took me 5 times to beat him. this was when I did

You're far more patient than me. I think that's what I need to learn.

The game encourages you to be aggressive but I feel like I need to focus on dodging more.

My problem now is I don't want to start a new run because I can't save. It really is such a bizzare choice to not allow you to switch games.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
You're far more patient than me. I think that's what I need to learn.

The game encourages you to be aggressive but I feel like I need to focus on dodging more.

My problem now is I don't want to start a new run because I can't save. It really is such a bizzare choice to not allow you to switch games.
It doesn’t bother me too much as I don’t tend to switch between games, but I can see how it is a frustrating thing for some people. I’ve had runs getting on well over two hours before.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I had my first glitch in this last night. Went to one of those fabricators, the animation began and then I suddenly fell through the world into a black abyss :lol:

Luckily i was only playing for about 20 minutes.

@esmufc07 You were saying you found those sun fragments the other day, did you find all of them? I can't for the life of me find the one in the last biome.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I had my first glitch in this last night. Went to one of those fabricators, the animation began and then I suddenly fell through the world into a black abyss :lol:

Luckily i was only playing for about 20 minutes.

@esmufc07 You were saying you found those sun fragments the other day, did you find all of them? I can't for the life of me find the one in the last biome.
I found mine after a container on a hidden path just before finding a data cube , but think it’s randomly generated so may not be there for you!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Got everything in Biomes 3 and 6 - just another four biomes to go. Though I've completed Act 1 several times now and the trophy still hasn't unlocked:(

b82REZ

Game crashed on me earlier and completely shut my PS5 down. I thought it had bricked my console because it took ages to turn back on. It's making me scared to play it again @Shamwow

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Game crashed on me earlier and completely shut my PS5 down. I thought it had bricked my console because it took ages to turn back on. It's making me scared to play it again @Shamwow
I just boughted it, now you're making me scared.

Shamwow

Well I grew a pair and beat the second boss.
Just had the complete crash as I got to Shrike with a sick weapon and loads of health (not killed him yet). Piece of shit!

b82REZ

Just had the complete crash as I got to Shrike with a sick weapon and loads of health (not killed him yet). Piece of shit!
Not had any crashes recently. I'm consistently getting to biome 3 now. Just need to learn how to avoid the fecking drones.

The game is amazing and gets even better the further in you get because of the new abilities and guns you unlock.

I'm playing it a lot more now, on average runs last me about 40 mins, I can imagine a full run may take a few hours though so I really hope they patch in some save support soon.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Not had any crashes recently. I'm consistently getting to biome 3 now. Just need to learn how to avoid the fecking drones.

The game is amazing and gets even better the further in you get because of the new abilities and guns you unlock.

I'm playing it a lot more now, on average runs last me about 40 mins, I can imagine a full run may take a few hours though so I really hope they patch in some save support soon.
Once you finish Biome 3 you reach the second part of the game - so you no longer have access to Biomes 1-3 until you’ve finished the game.

The drones are annoying as feck, particularly with certain types of weapons which make them hard to hit. First time through that Biome I found the hollow seeker to be very useful. Particularly if you can get it with the Portal Beam.

b82REZ

Once you finish Biome 3 you reach the second part of the game - so you no longer have access to Biomes 1-3 until you’ve finished the game.

The drones are annoying as feck, particularly with certain types of weapons which make them hard to hit. First time through that Biome I found the hollow seeker to be very useful. Particularly if you can get it with the Portal Beam.
Good to know.

I absolutely love the Electropylon and Rotgland Lobber. I need to stop picking them up and start playing around with other weapons.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Good to know.

I absolutely love the Electropylon and Rotgland Lobber. I need to stop picking them up and start playing around with other weapons.
It’s funny because I absolutely can’t stand the Electropylon. Not sure I have it enough time mind you. I was pretty boring in that I just enjoyed the carbines and shotguns. Towards endgame the Hollowseekers become really strong with afew attachment unlocks.

Shamwow

Yeah but it feckin crashed right before I knew I was going to kill the boss for the first time. I had a 7* weapon, the astronaut, full health with the 25% added and a good few resins and the last go I got him to a couple of %. I hate it.

b82REZ

Yeah but it feckin crashed right before I knew I was going to kill the boss for the first time. I had a 7* weapon, the astronaut, full health with the 25% added and a good few resins and the last go I got him to a couple of %. I hate it.
Do you understand why I was scared now?