Gaming Returnal (PS5)

b82REZ

It’s funny because I absolutely can’t stand the Electropylon. Not sure I have it enough time mind you. I was pretty boring in that I just enjoyed the carbines and shotguns. Towards endgame the Hollowseekers become really strong with afew attachment unlocks.
It's so insanely OP when you unlock the traits on it.

I can see people not necessarily enjoying the play style of the two guns I like though. They're very much AoE, persistent damage over time weapons so you do less shooting and more running and hiding.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

I can see people not necessarily enjoying the play style of the two guns I like though. They're very much AoE, persistent damage over time weapons so you do less shooting and more running and hiding.
Yeh I didn’t like the lack of control when I tried it and ended up dying. I just prefer manoeuvring killing one, repositioning etc. It’s cool the game offers options though.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Yeh I didn’t like the lack of control when I tried it and ended up dying. I just prefer manoeuvring liking one, repositioning etc. It’s cool the game offers options though.
It really is. They cater for a lot of different play styles. It's an extremely good game. I just hope they add save support eventually because it really limits how much I play it during the week.

TrustInJanuzaj

It really is. They cater for a lot of different play styles. It's an extremely good game. I just hope they add save support eventually because it really limits how much I play it during the week.
Yeh at the moment I’m struggling to find yeh motivation to jump in and finish act 3. If they added some form of save I would probably finish it properly.

TrustInJanuzaj

I thought you'd finished it?
I finished act 2 as in killed all the bosses and got through all the biomes. After you do that you have to pick up a sun fragment in each biome which is kind of a random spawn. I think I have either 2 or 3 of the star pieces but as yet can’t find the motivation to find the others. Once you have them all you unlock a final house sequence I believe and then you finish act 3.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Yeah it’s a fun weapon - especially when you can fire several pylons at once. Probably my favourite weapon to play with now.

b82REZ

I finished act 2 as in killed all the bosses and got through all the biomes. After you do that you have to pick up a sun fragment in each biome which is kind of a random spawn. I think I have either 2 or 3 of the star pieces but as yet can’t find the motivation to find the others. Once you have them all you unlock a final house sequence I believe and then you finish act 3.
I still think I'm a fair ways away from that yet.

When I get to play it for a few hours at weekend I tend to make real progress but then runs during the week tend to always end in failure.

TrustInJanuzaj

I still think I'm a fair ways away from that yet.

When I get to play it for a few hours at weekend I tend to make real progress but then runs during the week tend to always end in failure.
Yeh I still think I kind of lucked out completely act 2 so quickly. I basically completed it in 2 major 3 hour sittings. One massive run from 1-3 and another from 4-6 without dying. Once you get a certain level of health, Astro naught, healing items etc, you can actually tackle and beat most of the bosses first time.

b82REZ

Yeah it’s a fun weapon - especially when you can fire several pylons at once. Probably my favourite weapon to play with now.
Hands down my favourite, which I think is to my detriment because I always pick it up.

Last night I made a conscious effort to ignore it and try different weapons. I ended up doing a challenge room in Biome 1 with a Spitmaw, took loads of damage and was basically game over, then one of the enemies dropped the Pylon. I grabbed it because I figured the run was practically over. Ended up steamrolling everything and getting to Biome 3 based solely on having a Pylon. Problem is in my experience it's shit against the drones.

b82REZ

Yeh I still think I kind of lucked out completely act 2 so quickly. I basically completed it in 2 major 3 hour sittings. One massive run from 1-3 and another from 4-6 without dying. Once you get a certain level of health, Astro naught, healing items etc, you can actually tackle and beat most of the bosses first time.
I had a run last night where I was basically impervious to damage due to the artefacts I picked up. Then hubris got the better of me in Biome 3 and I got overwhelmed and killed.

Pretty sure if I'd concentrated that was THE run that would have cleared the game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Hands down my favourite, which I think is to my detriment because I always pick it up.

Last night I made a conscious effort to ignore it and try different weapons. I ended up doing a challenge room in Biome 1 with a Spitmaw, took loads of damage and was basically game over, then one of the enemies dropped the Pylon. I grabbed it because I figured the run was practically over. Ended up steamrolling everything and getting to Biome 3 based solely on having a Pylon. Problem is in my experience it's shit against the drones.
Yeah unless you’re very accurate it can be difficult with drones and other flying enemies, but then you can always create a trap for them so they fly into the pylons rather than you having to hit them directly. That gets more difficult in open spaces though.

I have been trying to pick up different weapons and unlock all the different traits, rather than just sticking to the same one. Spitmaw is very good at close range with certain traits!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just got two more scout logs to find (one in Biome 1, one in Biome 3) and about 4 cyphers across the first 3 biomes to have fully surveyed everything. Seems to be taking an age though :(

TrustInJanuzaj

Just got two more scout logs to find (one in Biome 1, one in Biome 3) and about 4 cyphers across the first 3 biomes to have fully surveyed everything. Seems to be taking an age though :(
Fair play for going for the Platinum. It looks a serious grind. Would be a hell of a good one to have though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Fair play for going for the Platinum. It looks a serious grind. Would be a hell of a good one to have though.
The problem I have is that my trophy for finishing Act 1 hasn’t unlocked - despite completing it several times now. So if I do end up getting all the other trophies I may just have to back up my save then delete it from the console so I can start a new game, then just do Act 1 again and hope it unlocks :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

The problem I have is that my trophy for finishing Act 1 hasn’t unlocked - despite completing it several times now. So if I do end up getting all the other trophies I may just have to back up my save then delete it from the console so I can start a new game, then just do Act 1 again and hope it unlocks :lol:
Yeh that’s really annoying. Would have thought they’d have patched the trophy issues by now really.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's a great game but I've had to shelve it for now on Biome 3.

Will come back to it after The Last of Us 2 and Ratchet & Clank.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finally Platinumed it. Their most recent update definitely helped I think, as I only needed two playthroughs to get the remaining cyphers (and my Act 1 trophy finally unlocked after completing it for about the 7th time).

b82REZ

Did you get any further @b82REZ
I stopped playing because @Shamwow told me it made me severely anxious.

In all seriousness though I've not had time this week, and the little time I did have I played R&C. I will definitely finish it. I'll probably have a run or two tonight after the footy. Although I'm a bit useless at it when I'm tired and end up taking loads of stupid damage/falling off platforms.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

In all seriousness though I've not had time this week, and the little time I did have I played R&C. I will definitely finish it. I'll probably have a run or two tonight after the footy. Although I'm a bit useless at it when I'm tired and end up taking loads of stupid damage/falling off platforms.
You are rubbish

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What did the most recent update add @esmufc07 ?
https://housemarque.com/news/2021/6/11/returnal-patch-140

Patch Notes:

Highlights:

• Platinum: Added support for replaying certain Act 1 & Act 2 Trophies
  • Platinum: Added support to retroactively award Trophies which cannot be replayed
  • Platinum: Added additional locations for Scout Logs 9, 34, 35 & 46 to appear more often
  • Platinum: Fixed an issue where 1 Cipher was sometimes unobtainable for Biome Survey Trophies
  • Platinum: Fixed an issue where some Activity Cards displayed an incorrect count
  • UI: HUD labels for items are now hidden when Selene is firing a weapon
  • UI: Fixed an issue where 2 actions could be mapped to a single button after switching controller presets
  • Cinematics: Fixed a rare audio sync issue in the secret ending
  • Audio: General mix improvements across the experience
  • Audio: Improved surround sound setup support across the experience
  • Audio: Added more DualSense haptics across cinematic moments for deeper immersion
  • Audio: Added DualSense haptics when using the Icarian Grapnel
  • Audio: Improved the dynamic range recommendations system
  • Audio: Allow users to override the dynamic range recommendations
  • Audio: Allow users to change audio output from the game menu
Game Balance:

• Balance: Various bug fixes to certain artifacts, parasites, consumables, and when certain malfunctions can occur in the early parts of the game
  • Balance: Players no longer receive parasites as rewards when players avenge their corpses
  • Balance: Enemies, Weapons, and Bosses - difficulty adjustments in all Biomes for a more balanced gameplay experience
Misc Bug-fixes:

• Fixed an issue where Hyperion may drop the Key out of reach
  • Fixed an issue where Ophion may become invisible if the player uses a Reconstructor during the fight
  • Fixed weapons not being found in Biomes after scanning but not collecting them
  • Fixed an issue where Selene could jump impossibly long distances
  • Fixed multiple issues where Selene may become trapped in a room
  • Fixed a rare freezing issue when teleporting in Crimson Wastes
  • Fixed occasional frame rate drops when using the Electropylon Driver
  • Performance improvements, crash fixes, and multiple minor bug fixes

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I am.

Just seen the patch notes though, god knows whether they've made it harder now, seeing as the last patch did.

I meant to ask, did you try any of the other roguelikes I recommended?
Not yet - I think my next one will be Hades when it releases on PS5.

b82REZ

Not yet - I think my next one will be Hades when it releases on PS5.
It's very good.

For me though, the GOAT will always be Isaac. Afterbirth is available on PlayStation, but I'd imagine Repentance won't be too far from a console release seeing as it was March it came out on PC.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Do you understand why I was scared now?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This game makes me want to smash my PS5 up.

Shamwow

I had a great run on Sunday, beat 3rd boss on my first attempt. I can't seem to get back into the game now though even though the new weapons seem cool etc. I think it's because I was taking turns with my housemates and now they can't play the earlier levels on their turn (they haven't beat any bosses yet and generally leave that to me but didn't get to see the 3rd level at all which kind of sucks)... I'm basically too good for my own good. Is it possible to go back to the first level once you've beat the 3rd boss or do you always have to start from the 4th level at that point?

Also I'm not looking for spoilers intentionally but this one is really bugging me after I accidentally worked out how to open the yellow barriers... can someone just let me know if being able to go into the black water is something you unlock later on or something that I could have worked out by the start of the 4th level?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I had a great run on Sunday, beat 3rd boss on my first attempt. I can't seem to get back into the game now though even though the new weapons seem cool etc. I think it's because I was taking turns with my housemates and now they can't play the earlier levels on their turn (they haven't beat any bosses yet and generally leave that to me but didn't get to see the 3rd level at all which kind of sucks)... I'm basically too good for my own good. Is it possible to go back to the first level once you've beat the 3rd boss or do you always have to start from the 4th level at that point?

Also I'm not looking for spoilers intentionally but this one is really bugging me after I accidentally worked out how to open the yellow barriers... can someone just let me know if being able to go into the black water is something you unlock later on or something that I could have worked out by the start of the 4th level?
When you finish the game you can switch between Biomes 1-3 and Biomes 4-6 as you wish.

You get something in Biome 5 which allows you to go into the water.

Shamwow

When you finish the game you can switch between Biomes 1-3 and Biomes 4-6 as you wish.

You get something in Biome 5 which allows you to go into the water.
Lame, I guess they will have to make their own account or something so they can go back to the start. Shame because it's a great taking turns game, a run usually burns me out a bit with the intensity of it so I like watching someone else have a go after.

Thanks, that stuff has been bugging me for a while. I assume the red gloopy floor is the same although I have managed to not take damage a few times by jump dashing the millisecond that I land on it.

Shamwow

I finally got revenge on the game for all those fall deaths in that run too.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well, despite being adamant that I wouldn't platinum the game...I have now Platinum'd the game :lol:

Bit of a grind, not going to lie. The final xenoglyphs and some scout logs were a pain in the arse, but with a bit of speedrunning, I got it done. It's a long one though.