Gaming Returnal (PS5)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
There's a fair few persistent upgrade. Artefacts, weapon traits and later on new abilities.

IMO the issue Returnal has regarding this is that it takes too long to start giving you the upgrades or you seeing their benefits.

It's not as immediately accessible as Hades or Isaac but when it clicks it's amazing.
Yeah it's definitely a pain at the start. I made it to the first boss twice, nearly killed him on the second go, but since then I've been getting trounced constantly before I can even get near him, and it feels so hopeless at times because I know if I get a shitty area of enemies I'm absolutely fecked. Still, I'll keep going, because the combat is excellent.

b82REZ

Yeah it's definitely a pain at the start. I made it to the first boss twice, nearly killed him on the second go, but since then I've been getting trounced constantly before I can even get near him, and it feels so hopeless at times because I know if I get a shitty area of enemies I'm absolutely fecked. Still, I'll keep going, because the combat is excellent.
I didn't realise until speaking to my brother about it is that your starting weapons are randomised from the pool.

For example i love the Electropylon but my brother hasn't even unlocked it, but for me it was available immediately.

What weapons have you used so far? I believe you have access to 3 or 4 of the pool until you reach certain points to unlock more.

Ainu

I didn't realise until speaking to my brother about it is that your starting weapons are randomised from the pool.

For example i love the Electropylon but my brother hasn't even unlocked it, but for me it was available immediately.

What weapons have you used so far? I believe you have access to 3 or 4 of the pool until you reach certain points to unlock more.
Oh wow I had no idea either, I just thought they were unlocked in a set order. I unlocked the Carbine and Spitmaw first, which felt like pretty normal progression. The Electropylon took me a while to get.

b82REZ

Oh wow I had no idea either, I just thought they were unlocked in a set order. I unlocked the Carbine and Spitmaw first, which felt like pretty normal progression. The Electropylon took me a while to get.
Yeah completely random.

The first one I unlocked was the Rotgland.

Massive Spanner

Uhh, my starting weapon has always been a pistol, even though I've picked up an AR and shottie a few times and been using them when I can.

b82REZ

Uhh, my starting weapon has always been a pistol, even though I've picked up an AR and shottie a few times and been using them when I can.
Yeah you start each run with a basic side arm. But from chests you'll have another selection of guns (including an upgraded side arm). I think in total there are 6 guns

Massive Spanner

Yeah you start each run with a basic side arm. But from chests you'll have another selection of guns (including an upgraded side arm). I think in total there are 6 guns
I don't get what you mean by "starting weapons are randomised from the pool though". My starting weapon is always a pistol.

You mean like what weapons you can pick up in the biome?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I have collected 2/3 keys in biome 5 and have almost full health and a very good weapon. I'm almost scared to resume my run, but I will now.

To be continued...

b82REZ

I don't get what you mean by "starting weapons are randomised from the pool though". My starting weapon is always a pistol.

You mean like what weapons you can pick up in the biome?
I could have been clearer.

Each run you will start with a basic side arm (you may later find the same gun in a chest but it'll have different perks and it'll say Modified Sidearm).

From the 6 available guns in the game you will have a random selection of 3/4 of them available to you from chests and elite enemy drops from the start. As you progress through the game you will unlock more of the 6 guns and they'll be added to the chest/boss pools for you to potentially use.

The guns that were available to me from the start were the Electropylon, Hollowseeker, Modified Sidearm and Spitmaw. I then unlocked Rotgland and Thermogenic Launchers by progressing the game.

This is the least clear aspect of this game so if you've been unlucky and start with a random selection of the guns that don't click with you it may put you off.

Does that make more sense?

Ainu

I could have been clearer.

Each run you will start with a basic side arm (you may later find the same gun in a chest but it'll have different perks and it'll say Modified Sidearm).

From the 6 available guns in the game you will have a random selection of 3/4 of them available to you from chests and elite enemy drops from the start. As you progress through the game you will unlock more of the 6 guns and they'll be added to the chest/boss pools for you to potentially use.

The guns that were available to me from the start were the Electropylon, Hollowseeker, Modified Sidearm and Spitmaw. I then unlocked Rotgland and Thermogenic Launchers by progressing the game.

This is the least clear aspect of this game so if you've been unlucky and start with a random selection of the guns that don't click with you it may put you off.

Does that make more sense?
This doesn't seem right, you shouldn't have that many weapons available at the start of the game. A clean start should only have the basic pistol and nothing else. I had to scan the Carbine to make it available to me as a spawning weapon, and at that point I would still only find either a pistol or Carbine in chests. Each additional weapon I scanned was then added to the spawn pool.

I'm starting to think you might've had some sort of deluxe edition of the game that made these available from the start, or perhaps a pre order bonus of some kind?

Edit: I looked up the digital deluxe edition and it says this:

Digital Deluxe Edition includes early access to in-game items which are otherwise obtainable via story progression:¹
- Electropylon Driver weapon.¹
- Hollowseeker weapon.¹
So yeah I'm pretty sure that's what you got and the unlock order is fixed after all.

b82REZ

This doesn't seem right, you shouldn't have that many weapons available at the start of the game. A clean start should only have the basic pistol and nothing else. I had to scan the Carbine to make it available to me as a spawning weapon, and at that point I would still only find either a pistol or Carbine in chests. Each additional weapon I scanned was then added to the spawn pool.

I'm starting to think you might've had some sort of deluxe edition of the game that made these available from the start, or perhaps a pre order bonus of some kind?

Edit: I looked up the digital deluxe edition and it says this:

So yeah I'm pretty sure that's what you got and the unlock order is fixed after all.
That may be the case. I get all first party exclusives for free as I have a friend who works for Sony and it's always the deluxe editions I get.

In that case ignore what I said @Massive Spanner

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Even without a boss it's the hardest biome though. Did you make it through?
I did, just barely though. I had only a sliver of HP for the last room with a shatterskin that gave 2 malfunctions on detach. So I died and had to kill the 2 frost severed with long dash cooldown and 50% melee damage. I nearly gave up, but somehow killed them.

I shouted a lot of profanity into my TV after this victory :p

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Biome 6 boss (final boss?) killed me.

The enemies that shoot you with malfunctions can suck all my balls.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Beat it. Final boss is actually a joke once you figure out his gimmick. Great game.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yes! Beat the first Biome boss. Great feeling akin to beating a tough boss in a Soulsborne game.
I’ve reached him twice and gotten to 3rd stage both times.

Not sure I’m enjoying the grind of reaching him again each time.

Reditus

Beat the first boss last night.

its beginning to get its hooks into me....

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Finally found the biome 6 fragment and did the last house thingy. I suppose I will have to beat it again now? Not sure I will grind on for the platinum. Some of the trophies seem grindy.

Massive Spanner

Where you upto?
Biome 3.

but I say that as in I still die a lot in biome 1 just by virtue of getting shit luck and crap weapons and going into nasty rooms of areas by trying to clear out biome 1.

progression straight up sucks in this game. Best thing about Hades was that I was blasting past the opening area consistently after a while but in this it’s still just pure luck at times based on whether you get decent weapon drops or cnuty rooms.

Like I said, i hate it, but I want to keep playing it. Not because it’s fun, because it’s definitely not fun. But it’s very well made and I want to beat the fecker.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Biome 3.

but I say that as in I still die a lot in biome 1 just by virtue of getting shit luck and crap weapons and going into nasty rooms of areas by trying to clear out biome 1.

progression straight up sucks in this game. Best thing about Hades was that I was blasting past the opening area consistently after a while but in this it’s still just pure luck at times based on whether you get decent weapon drops or cnuty rooms.

Like I said, i hate it, but I want to keep playing it. Not because it’s fun, because it’s definitely not fun. But it’s very well made and I want to beat the fecker.
Wait till you beat it and start grinding the last few trophies. I can probably beat the whole thing with the starting pistol now.

Not meant as bragging (ok a bit), but at some point you killed the different types of enemies so many times they never hit you.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Biome 3.

Biome 3 can be a right bastard, especially in the final section before the boss.

I don’t remember struggling too much with Biome 1 after some progression though - do you vary the weapons you use? The electropylon (?) weapon is one worth using often and getting upgraded as it shreds enemies.

I disagree that it isn’t fun, it’s by far the best game I’ve played on PS5. Really hope there’s a sequel.

Ainu

Drones in Biome 3 used to be the bane of my existence during my runs there. Insane tracking on their missiles.

Massive Spanner

Biome 3 can be a right bastard, especially in the final section before the boss.

I don’t remember struggling too much with Biome 1 after some progression though - do you vary the weapons you use? The electropylon (?) weapon is one worth using often and getting upgraded as it shreds enemies.

I disagree that it isn’t fun, it’s by far the best game I’ve played on PS5. Really hope there’s a sequel.
I mean, it’s a really good game. But I don’t think it’s fun. It’s a different kind of enjoyable. It’s insanely intense and relentless and you have to give it your full attention or you’re fecked. It’s infuriating and nasty and mean but that’s part of what makes it so good. When I say I hate it but I can’t stop playing it, that’s not me saying I don’t also like it :D

I haven’t unlocked that weapon yet :(

maybe I’m doing it wrong but before going to biome 3 I usually try clear out biome 1 to build up my integrity, ether, artefacts etc and not just go straight there with nothing.

Reditus

Biome 3.

I’m in same boat. But still not sure if am going to stick with it. Similar to you, I just don’t see enough progression…I was more shocked than anything when I actually progressed from biome 2. Now I’m struggling with the 3rd. Reached the boss last night and had two goes at him but barely got to his 2nd stage.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Biome 3.

Are you complaining about games again?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I mean, it’s a really good game. But I don’t think it’s fun. It’s a different kind of enjoyable. It’s insanely intense and relentless and you have to give it your full attention or you’re fecked. It’s infuriating and nasty and mean but that’s part of what makes it so good. When I say I hate it but I can’t stop playing it, that’s not me saying I don’t also like it :D

I haven’t unlocked that weapon yet :(

maybe I’m doing it wrong but before going to biome 3 I usually try clear out biome 1 to build up my integrity, ether, artefacts etc and not just go straight there with nothing.
I generally was in the habit of clearing every room in each biome in order to build integrity etc and upgrade weapons as I went along. Sometimes you will just come into a room and get obliterated; no matter how well equipped. Not once did I get bored though. And you’ll find as you progress Biomes 1-3 become fairly standard and easy to clear.

Massive Spanner

I generally was in the habit of clearing every room in each biome in order to build integrity etc and upgrade weapons as I went along. Sometimes you will just come into a room and get obliterated; no matter how well equipped. Not once did I get bored though. And you’ll find as you progress Biomes 1-3 become fairly standard and easy to clear.
Yeah definitely not bored. I’m always itching for another go. Though I do need breaks at times cause I feel so harshly done by by some runs, which didn’t happen on the SoulsBorne games or Hades, but that’s fine. I’ll beat the bastard eventually. It’s a really cool, different, piece of shit game.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No, I said it was great.

horizon FW is overrated shite though, try not to throw your toys out the pram this time cause someone doesn’t like the same ps exclusive you do.
It was a joke don't get mad, it's not my fault you're generally bad at games is it?