Gaming Returnal (PS5)

Ainu

I mean, it’s a really good game. But I don’t think it’s fun. It’s a different kind of enjoyable. It’s insanely intense and relentless and you have to give it your full attention or you’re fecked. It’s infuriating and nasty and mean but that’s part of what makes it so good. When I say I hate it but I can’t stop playing it, that’s not me saying I don’t also like it :D

I haven’t unlocked that weapon yet :(

maybe I’m doing it wrong but before going to biome 3 I usually try clear out biome 1 to build up my integrity, ether, artefacts etc and not just go straight there with nothing.
I usually did fairly thorough clears of earlier biomes as well, it never hurts to build up some integrity etc. Buy a healing item if you can or an astronaut if it's available.

I probably said this before but it's worth repeating: go for weapons with locked traits. Figure out which weapon types you're most comfortable with and always pick up a new weapon if it has locked traits, so you work towards unlocking them. Don't run around with a fully unlocked weapon for too long, at least not until late game.

For what it's worth, I always liked the Electropylon, Hollowseeker, Rotgland Lobber (DoT is devastating in this game), Carbine, Thermogenic Launcher and even the Sidearm. The Spitmaw can be fun to play around with, but it's high risk as you need to get up close. All the other weapons, meh.

Keep at it, later on you'll be mowing down enemies in the earlier biomes for fun and wonder why you ever struggled with them.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I usually did fairly thorough clears of earlier biomes as well, it never hurts to build up some integrity etc. Buy a healing item if you can or an astronaut if it's available.

I probably said this before but it's worth repeating: go for weapons with locked traits. Figure out which weapon types you're most comfortable with and always pick up a new weapon if it has locked traits, so you work towards unlocking them. Don't run around with a fully unlocked weapon for too long, at least not until late game.

For what it's worth, I always liked the Electropylon, Hollowseeker, Rotgland Lobber (DoT is devastating in this game), Carbine, Thermogenic Launcher and even the Sidearm. The Spitmaw can be fun to play around with, but it's high risk as you need to get up close. All the other weapons, meh.

Keep at it, later on you'll be mowing down enemies in the earlier biomes for fun and wonder why you ever struggled with them.
Weapon upgrades like portals and turrets and the auto for the rocket launcher are underrated, game changers.

Also think about how you play based on the artifacts and parasites you find. For example some will have you stack adrenaline and avoid getting hit, others might make you have to play more aggressively and close. I fecking love this game tbf...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nemesis. What an epic boss fight. He was rinsing me on the third phase the first few times but then I used the rotgund lobber and absolutely ruined him.

the Boss fights in this game are brilliant. It’s a shame you have to spend a fecking hour getting back to them :lol:

Ainu

Nemesis. What an epic boss fight. He was rinsing me on the third phase the first few times but then I used the rotgund lobber and absolutely ruined him.

the Boss fights in this game are brilliant. It’s a shame you have to spend a fecking hour getting back to them :lol:
The next boss is brilliant as wel, especially the approach and the music. :drool: Enjoy!

Ted Lasso

Any tips of this game? Get battered on Biome 2 everytime.
The game is not that long - there are only so many rooms and levels. Definitely take your time to collect resins and level up your health, obelites for power ups and extra lives.

The only way I was able to even reach the boss of Biome 2 was basically get really good at Biome 1, spending at least ten fifteen min clearing a few rooms to build my character for the cycle.

Also, switched my controls to running all the time. Standing still is death.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Remap dash to one of the triggers so you can dash without taking your thumb of the right stick. Game changer.

And so is the aforementioned switch to always running.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Remap dash to one of the triggers so you can dash without taking your thumb of the right stick. Game changer.

And so is the aforementioned switch to always running.
Agreed - L1 for dash was perfect for me. Once I got used to it, was getting hit far less and was able to react way faster

Woodzy

Will try remapping dash later.

Got to Biome 2 boss last night. Got killed on third phase but I feel like it would have been easy if I knew the attack patterns.

afrocentricity

Dash on right shoulder button for me good shout, also if you have the grapple use that to zip around or get distance

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Game is too expensive and too long. Made it to the 3rd boss, but think I will give up. It becomes a drag.

Ted Lasso

Game is too expensive and too long. Made it to the 3rd boss, but think I will give up. It becomes a drag.
You can get it for free with the PS Extra. Really good value. Pretty much all the PS5 games worth playing are available.

afrocentricity

Have you given it a try? Any other direction and you can still get get hit with the pesky homing missiles but I don't recall ever having them hitting after dodging thru
No I usually get the odd hit while circle strafing around them. With the invincibility frames, range of the dash, and responsiveness of the camera I can see that would work so I'll try it out later. I mostly play tower now but there's plenty of drones in there too.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
In the first round I thought it was tough but fair. Finished it, left the planet and wondered what everyone was moaning about. Then I woke up back on the planet. Things are a little different. I walk into the first room and get a proper feck you welcome. 20 odd things flying around firing all sort of shit at me with shields and tentacles and beam lasers and expanding red and purple rings and my shitty little pistol was all I had. Might as well just have used harsh language for all the use it was. Ive now upgraded a lot of the weapons and I still find it rough as feck in the first biome because I usually don't find a decent gun for 5 or so rooms. In the next biome though, doesn't matter what I do. Im surrounded by bullet sponges and everything is lava, including the air. What Im finding most annoying is the inconsistency in starting out. Sometimes it fine and you get a nice progression, but most of the time its just "feck you" as soon as you go through that first door.

Its a fun game, but its gotten kind of tedious with how much they have ramped up the difficulty. Its not that I suck, I mean I do, but its not that. Its that it takes so long to get a weapon that can actually do any damage most of the time. Spend most of my time jumping around like bomber man just shouting "feck, feck, feck, feck!".

Anyway, a nice little benefit to the new PS+ tier. Got to try a few games I wasnt willing to drop full price on. Not bad for 8 quid for a couple of months.

Woodzy

Random? Or someone you know irl?
Nah someone I know. I wouldn't play with a random tbh.

Neither of us were overly keen on the game it was released, found it somewhat enjoyable but difficult and repetitive. All changed now with co-op though.

afrocentricity

Nah someone I know. I wouldn't play with a random tbh.

Neither of us were overly keen on the game it was released, found it somewhat enjoyable but difficult and repetitive. All changed now with co-op though.
How's the joint progress work?

Woodzy

How's the joint progress work?
The host of the game keeps all the progress item and unlocks and the person joins simply has a co-op rank that increases the more they play.

I started a solo game now and in the middle of a four hour run. Think I’m approaching the 3rd boss and I have so much stuff unlocked and a huge health bar that I don’t think I’ll ever have a better run. I’ve suspended the cycle so I can charge my controller (can’t believe that feature didn’t exist to begin with), but essentially what can I expect from this boss and will I beat it first time?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The host of the game keeps all the progress item and unlocks and the person joins simply has a co-op rank that increases the more they play.

I started a solo game now and in the middle of a four hour run. Think I’m approaching the 3rd boss and I have so much stuff unlocked and a huge health bar that I don’t think I’ll ever have a better run. I’ve suspended the cycle so I can charge my controller (can’t believe that feature didn’t exist to begin with), but essentially what can I expect from this boss and will I beat it first time?
I only fought the boss in coop which is a buggy mess, but shoot for its red heart. I think you are prepared enough to get him.

Woodzy

I only fought the boss in coop which is a buggy mess, but shoot for its red heart. I think you are prepared enough to get him.
Prepared an understatement, just battered him!

Fantastic boss fight though.

Superunknown

Started this about a week ago. This game gets full marks for its atmosphere, gunplay, music and sound design, and graphics. It's a great sci-fi horror and feels very futuristic with the PS5's adaptive controller.

However, I've stopped playing it as the roguelike elements are too big a barrier for me to enjoy the game. It's got too tedious too quickly and is actually very demoralising to play through. You could, in theory, spend 2 or 3 hours playing through this and make zero progress due to repeatedly dying and having to start over with nothing.

For all of the criticism the SoulsBorne sometimes gets for its 'difficulty', they are inherently much, much more fairer than this game is. You can make yourself stronger for the next fight, collect echoes/souls, improve your weapons. All of that gets taken away from you in this game and there's no real way of progressing through the game without dedicating an unfair amount of time to it. You can't sit down for 10 or 20 minutes after work and relax, or before going out somewhere. It requires you to play much longer than that, and the gains are too minimal for what you get out of it. It's rather insulting to your time, to be honest.

Such a shame. There's a great game in there, or rather, the individual components are awesome. But, the design to place it all within a roguelike web is a terrible and too frustrating design choice.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
@Redlambs i definitely agree with @Ainu about turning sprint to always on, such a game changer.

didn’t understand the fuss around lack of saves myself, I definitely think it would have taken away from the game and by late game you can clear the biomes quite quickly.

You still in Biome 1? I want to play through this again now.

Really hope they do a sequel of some sorts

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I still have to platinum this, but the last few things are such a grind. Always sprint is definitely required.

Ainu

@Redlambs i definitely agree with @Ainu about turning sprint to always on, such a game changer.

didn’t understand the fuss around lack of saves myself, I definitely think it would have taken away from the game and by late game you can clear the biomes quite quickly.

You still in Biome 1? I want to play through this again now.

Really hope they do a sequel of some sorts
I don't get how it would take away from the game. It's essentially the same thing as putting the PS5 in rest mode, only more reliable and the PS5 can be used for something else in the meantime. You are not confusing a save and quit option with checkpoints, are you? Because no one ever asked for those.

Hades, with its much shorter runs, has had a save and quit option since its release. If it works for that game, I'm not sure how it would take away from Returnal. Anyway, I haven't played Returnal in a while, but I believe it's been patched in since.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't get how it would take away from the game. It's essentially the same thing as putting the PS5 in rest mode, only more reliable and the PS5 can be used for something else in the meantime. You are not confusing a save and quit option with checkpoints, are you? Because no one ever asked for those.

Hades, with its much shorter runs, has had a save and quit option since its release. If it works for that game, I'm not sure how it would take away from Returnal. Anyway, I haven't played Returnal in a while, but I believe it's been patched in since.
They could at the very least have implemented it in between biomes.

Siorac

Yeah it's patched in now and it hasn't taken anything away.

The runs are waaaay too long though. I got to the boss of the second biome, almost got it but died and found that I do not have the willpower to do that tedious slog all over again - especially knowing that it's only the second biome and there's what, three or four more? No. Hades was much more engaging with its shorter runs and cool characters.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

The runs are waaaay too long though. I got to the boss of the second biome, almost got it but died and found that I do not have the willpower to do that tedious slog all over again - especially knowing that it's only the second biome and there's what, three or four more? No. Hades was much more engaging with its shorter runs and cool characters.
You don't do them all in 1 run. It's 3 per run eventually.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

The game is in two parts. Biomes 1-3 act as the first part, 4-6 the second.

I’d encourage you to keep playing - each run feels unique and as you progress and level up your weapons the first couple of biomes are a breeze.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Cheers for the bump @esmufc07, appreciate it!

I've only squeezed in three runs, the first I found a side room and ran into some big thing which I assume is the early Soulsbourne enemy trick. Nearly had the fecker too, but I wasn't used to the doge/sprint and lack of visual feedback on hits (one grumble I have). The second one was a throwaway to see what I could do in the game...found out I can't swim and can't drop down some holes but can others and then died just messing with the dodge mechanics.

I've just done the third run, beat the first Biome and boss first try, but ended up with a couple of debuffs (the greed again! :lol:). Got to the desert, switched to the shotgun, and proceeded to fight about 20 cube things and a giant one...with said shotgun. Lesson learned.

I get the thing about not quit/resume that makes sense. But this game does not need checkpoints, it's simply not a game to hold hands and we need more of them. The fact your character doesn't call out every little secret and thing is such a blessing, that modern shite needs to go.

Hades is a more arcadey game which is cool, but I did prefer the Dead Cells longer run thing so I'll like this. I guess the equivalent short hit version of this would be Remnant (which I did actually like, if anything I preferred the shooting/world in that).

All in all, I'm enjoying it. I'm a sucker for movement games, even if the old fingers creak a tad now.

Ainu

Yeah the Spitmaw isn't great for pretty much any style of play, unless you can get the right traits on it. At close range it obliterates enemies but close range combat is rarely a good idea in this game. With the right traits, it can turn into a useful weapon. Narrow Maw is a must have. I have no idea why Wide Maw exists, it takes an already meh weapon and turns it into something truly terrible. :lol:

That's one of the few complaints I had about Returnal, the fact that some weapons are objectively so much worse than certain other weapons, unless you invest a lot of time into them to unlock the best traits. Always a difficult balancing act and one that Returnal unfortunately doesn't get right.