Gaming Returnal (PS5)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Electro Pylon or whatever it’s called is the best weapon in the game and can absolutely shred enemies once upgraded well. Great fun to use aswell.

b82REZ

That's one of the few complaints I had about Returnal, the fact that some weapons are objectively so much worse than certain other weapons, unless you invest a lot of time into them to unlock the best traits. Always a difficult balancing act and one that Returnal unfortunately doesn't get right.
That's standard in any roguelite though. Weapons are never created equal.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shotgun is great in close quarters though, stack stagger. Dash and one shot kill or stagger combo can be really effective

Most guns can be good I think the disc one is the only one I didn't really like, maybe another?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah I don't mind the shotguns, they are quite fun and useful early game anyway. There is a lot of unbalance though especially with the "tasks" to get rid of corruption which are plain bad design. It's also weird, they give you cool close quarters combat, but heavily punish you for it too (especially if you get acid pools).

But the very worst thing about this game is the FOV switching, it's absolutely atrocious. I'm not sure if it's as bad on a fixed fov like on the PS5 (unless you can change it on there too), but my word have they got it wrong. From the slow release of ADS, the forced zoom on alt weapons (even if not ready) to the way the camera does it when your back is to the wall, it's technically implemented wrong and shouldn't be an issue in a bullet storm game like this. I'm surprised it's not mentioned more by people. I'm going to check if there's a mod to override, hopefully there is.

But I am really enjoying it overall. There definitely should be more visual feedback and the shooting doesn't have enough weight, but all in all it's very moreish. I'm hoping there's enough differences in later biomes to maintain that enthusiasm.

Ainu

Yeah I don't mind the shotguns, they are quite fun and useful early game anyway. There is a lot of unbalance though especially with the "tasks" to get rid of corruption which are plain bad design. It's also weird, they give you cool close quarters combat, but heavily punish you for it too (especially if you get acid pools).

But the very worst thing about this game is the FOV switching, it's absolutely atrocious. I'm not sure if it's as bad on a fixed fov like on the PS5 (unless you can change it on there too), but my word have they got it wrong. From the slow release of ADS, the forced zoom on alt weapons (even if not ready) to the way the camera does it when your back is to the wall, it's technically implemented wrong and shouldn't be an issue in a bullet storm game like this. I'm surprised it's not mentioned more by people. I'm going to check if there's a mod to override, hopefully there is.

But I am really enjoying it overall. There definitely should be more visual feedback and the shooting doesn't have enough weight, but all in all it's very moreish. I'm hoping there's enough differences in later biomes to maintain that enthusiasm.
I literally never aimed down the sights, except when alt firing, which I probably didn't use enough. Always sprint, always hip fire, that's the only way I ever played the game. It's much more about movement than precision anyway.

Redlambs

I literally never aimed down the sights, except when alt firing, which I probably didn't use enough. Always sprint, always hip fire, that's the only way I ever played the game. It's much more about movement than precision anyway.
Indeed, but even when not ADS'ing it's weird how it switches and then has the same floaty feel. Might also be a miscalculation when playing at higher fps as well as fov.

I'll get used to it, but it definitely hasn't been implemented right and isn't good in a game of this type. But then these Sony-PC conversions are never technically excellent to say the least, so maybe it's not an issue on console. I'll test it one day.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I did try and give this a go the other day but yeah it’s not for me. Too dark and too much happening on the screen.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
the game needs an easy mode. I gave up at the 3rd biome.

caid

I'd say the ps5 controller helped a bit with the weight of weapons. I think i was in teh same boat as Ainu where i just never aimed basically. The camera was a bit unhelpful at times and in a game centred so much around avoiding damage rather than dealing it it was pretty annoying but i was able to work around it.
Theres some rough edges but im inclined to forgive that in a new series. Theres good stuff to build on anyway.

Redlambs

I'd say the ps5 controller helped a bit with the weight of weapons. I think i was in teh same boat as Ainu where i just never aimed basically. The camera was a bit unhelpful at times and in a game centred so much around avoiding damage rather than dealing it it was pretty annoying but i was able to work around it.
Theres some rough edges but im inclined to forgive that in a new series. Theres good stuff to build on anyway.
The never aim thing I get because of auto aim. Same with the feedback being because of the controller. I'm on KB/M so it's more about fluid aim and feedback that they should account for. Plus the gunplay is decent enough, but still lacks punch even on controller I'd imagine. I could easily play it on controller, I'm just choosing not to because I'm more about aim than analogue movement though I'm very aware I'm making it harder for myself :lol:

The fov thing is technically incorrect, they've just implemented it wrong and stuck with it and in a game like this you don't need that. That's not a rough edge, that's just not doing a job properly. But without playing it on the PS5, I'm not sure if you guys are seeing the same thing anyway. The mrs will get this at some point though, so I'll check it out then.

But yes, I agree all in all the rough edges I'm ok with. I'm enjoying it a lot, it's one of those rare games I will find time to complete too I feel. I still think that people who want to like this, but can't handle the bulletstorm stuff, should try Remnant instead.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’m surprised you beat Phrike first time. I think him and the boss in the second Biome were by far the hardest. The rest I didn’t struggle with too much. Though there are some nasty enemies around who can just shred you.

Agree re: Remnant; great game!

caid

The never aim thing I get because of auto aim. Same with the feedback being because of the controller. I'm on KB/M so it's more about fluid aim and feedback that they should account for. Plus the gunplay is decent enough, but still lacks punch even on controller I'd imagine. I could easily play it on controller, I'm just choosing not to because I'm more about aim than analogue movement though I'm very aware I'm making it harder for myself :lol:

The fov thing is technically incorrect, they've just implemented it wrong and stuck with it and in a game like this you don't need that. That's not a rough edge, that's just not doing a job properly. But without playing it on the PS5, I'm not sure if you guys are seeing the same thing anyway. The mrs will get this at some point though, so I'll check it out then.

But yes, I agree all in all the rough edges I'm ok with. I'm enjoying it a lot, it's one of those rare games I will find time to complete too I feel. I still think that people who want to like this, but can't handle the bulletstorm stuff, should try Remnant instead.
Its not just auto aim, its mods with homing missiles and others with splash damage or others that put up stationary turrets. You just dont need to aim or be particularly accurate. And theres a fair bit of support for the haptics in the controller, not particularly common to date so it does help a bit.
I played it a year ago and wouldn't particularly trust myself to recognise fov issues if i played it yesterday so ... I remember not liking it, i remember hammering it into my head that i shouldn't aim or go near tight corners.

Redlambs

I’m surprised you beat Phrike first time. I think him and the boss in the second Biome were by far the hardest. The rest I didn’t struggle with too much. Though there are some nasty enemies around who can just shred you.
Would it annoy you more if I said it was with the starter pistol too? Because it was :lol:

Though it was down to the wire, I hit or he/it did!

Agree re: Remnant; great game!
Doesn't get enough love. It's the kind of game I should pull apart, but something about it grabbed me. I'm not sure why it didn't get more love, it's so much better than most of the "soulsvania" clones we get and lightyears beyond the latest Star Wars games that people can't wait to love.

I honestly think it's like Sifu, in that the "OMG IT'S SOOO HARD!" reviews put people off. Same with Returnal too.

Its not just auto aim, its mods with homing missiles and others with splash damage or others that put up stationary turrets. You just dont need to aim or be particularly accurate. And theres a fair bit of support for the haptics in the controller, not particularly common to date so it does help a bit.
I played it a year ago and wouldn't particularly trust myself to recognise fov issues if i played it yesterday so ... I remember not liking it, i remember hammering it into my head that i shouldn't aim or go near tight corners.
Yeah it's very much a fire and forget kind of game on controller. And that's not a slight, this is a movement game and this genre doesn't get enough love on the consoles.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finally beat Ixion last night. Started the fight at half health without any consumable. I did have the astro statue and the parasite that repairs integrity at low health so that helped.
Nice! I found that the toughest boss and it gave me the most aggro. I think the one in Biome 3 was the easiest which is surprising as the Biome itself is a challenge.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Nice! I found that the toughest boss and it gave me the most aggro. I think the one in Biome 3 was the easiest which is surprising as the Biome itself is a challenge.
Yeah was a tough boss. Considering I beat Phrike in September last year and Ixion now, just shows how pathetic my runs have been. Though I did finish 4-5 other games in between :lol:

Redlambs

So I've just finally got a chance to play a run again, first this week, and have beaten the second boss first try with not even needing the astronaut. The bosses look cool, but so far they are not really all that challenging.

I did have the stacked damage modifier (though got hit almost straight away and lost it :lol:), and did the full run of the first biome so my weapon was at a 9, but still it wasn't that tricky.

I'm determined to get further before getting stuck into Zelda properly :D

caid

So I've just finally got a chance to play a run again, first this week, and have beaten the second boss first try with not even needing the astronaut. The bosses look cool, but so far they are not really all that challenging.

I did have the stacked damage modifier (though got hit almost straight away and lost it :lol:), and did the full run of the first biome so my weapon was at a 9, but still it wasn't that tricky.

I'm determined to get further before getting stuck into Zelda properly :D
Thought the first 2 bosses were hardest to be honest. Beat most of the others on first attempt. Piano man is excellent though

Redlambs

Thought the first 2 bosses were hardest to be honest. Beat most of the others on first attempt. Piano man is excellent though
Well now you've jinxed me :lol:

I'm finding that most enemy attacks actually miss more often than not, unless it's the fast firing tracking ones. I don't think either boss so far has anything that hits like that. Also I don't tend to use dash much, so it's always there if I need, so maybe that habit is helping.

caid

Well now you've jinxed me :lol:

I'm finding that most enemy attacks actually miss more often than not, unless it's the fast firing tracking ones. I don't think either boss so far has anything that hits like that. Also I don't tend to use dash much, so it's always there if I need, so maybe that habit is helping.
Other bosses have more stuff going on. Just found i had more room for error and a generally better set up when i ran into them. I think if you've gotten to bio 3 without any rants about what a dickhead the game is then you'll see them all soon enough i expect.

Ted Lasso

Piano man, Hyperion might be my favorite boss fight in the last decade. Returnal still top 3 for me this generation of systems

Redlambs

Other bosses have more stuff going on. Just found i had more room for error and a generally better set up when i ran into them. I think if you've gotten to bio 3 without any rants about what a dickhead the game is then you'll see them all soon enough i expect.
There's a few things that I have gripes with from a design perspective as I've said in here, plus the rip off GeOW fast reload trick should be a separate button, but all in all I've not found it to be unfair in ways that make me rage. If anything, I'm finding it more amusing to beat the shit out of the clearly cheat/fake difficulty enemies.

I don't quite know what it is, and I do think still think Remnant is better (and if it came from Sony would have been seen as a goat in fanboy eyes), but something about this game has grabbed me anyway despite it being pretty straightforward.

caid

There's a few things that I have gripes with from a design perspective as I've said in here, plus the rip off GeOW fast reload trick should be a separate button, but all in all I've not found it to be unfair in ways that make me rage. If anything, I'm finding it more amusing to beat the shit out of the clearly cheat/fake difficulty enemies.

I don't quite know what it is, and I do think still think Remnant is better (and if it came from Sony would have been seen as a goat in fanboy eyes), but something about this game has grabbed me anyway despite it being pretty straightforward.
It can be kind of punishing for newer players. Getting past the first boss usually unlocks a new gun pretty early in bio 2 (I think?). Going from one decent and 2 bad weapons, to one great, one decent and 2 bad weapons shifts the difficulty a fair amount. And theres a lot of others mechanics like that that you might just breeze past and be oblivious to. Wheras the cheat / fake difficulty enemies as you call them just murder the new and unfamiliar player and drop them back to square 1, so they're stuck in the first biome 10 runs in wishing the game would stop giving them shotguns. Then random order upgrades unlock is hit and miss too because some upgrades are much better than others basically.
The game gets easier the further in you get so if you were going to get annoyed by it you would have by now imo.

Redlambs

I think this is too easy on the new players to deserve the hate. It shows that even a game that blatantly overpowers you people will hate on because it's not COD and you can't be carried :lol:

There's nothing wrong with the game, story and flow that I can see, it's basically a roguelite for consoles. My gripe, after just walking through Nemesis, is that it overpowers you way too much for the bosses if you use anything past the first level. The environments so far are fun and at times challenging, but the bosses don't actually seem to be able to hit you 90% of the time! Nemesis was such a cool idea, but ruined by the fact I had a pistol and double health and still didn't actually get hit much. The balance is all wrong.

But...I am still enjoying it, it's so much better than most games released this gen. I'm also not surprised this is praised higher than Remnant, it's like the training wheels with a bigger budget. Hopefully Remnant 2 (or actually 3) will step up and get people into movement/randomiser games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So for a Souls / Sekiro player it’s not hard at all?

This has been on my todo for long while but due to the rogue like nature I keep putting it off. The only reason I didn’t give up on Hades was because it was damn well written and of course I beat it for the first time just before I was done with it after which things just clicked/ got easier.

Btw there is a huge gap between difficult games and CoD. Not everyone games for the Soulslike dopamine hit. I know a lot of gamers those games just aren’t suited to.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I found it very hard to get to grips with initially and the first few biomes had my head wrecked, also felt like a bit of pot luck as to what weapon you'd get or room you'd end up with.

Last 3 biomes were much easier though, so I dunno about "hard", more that it's a tough game to get into early on.
it definitely is :lol: but luckily you're well used to dying over and over again if you'd played them and you'll die a lot in the first half of this.

Siorac

This has been on my todo for long while but due to the rogue like nature I keep putting it off. The only reason I didn’t give up on Hades was because it was damn well written and of course I beat it for the first time just before I was done with it after which things just clicked/ got easier.

Btw there is a huge gap between difficult games and CoD. Not everyone games for the Soulslike dopamine hit. I know a lot of gamers those games just aren’t suited to.
I found it harder than any Soulsborne. Took me fecking forever to get out of the first biome.

Definitely much harder than Hades.

caid

I didn't like the difficulty curve more than the difficulty. I think it starts rock hard and gets easier.
I didn't think the bosses were hard. The few i didn't kill on first try were usually because i went into the fight with a sliver of health and / or multiple malfunctions. It was random rooms with a massive difficulty spike and a dozen tough enemies that killed me usually, or just left me weak enough that it was hard to recover from.

Redlambs

Yeah, the balance is all wrong. Letting you get to level 15 proficiency by the end of the first half is silly coupled with all the OP weapon enhancers and endless perks/items. Even the malfunctions go easy on you.

@amolbhatia50k as the others have said, it's not really like a souls game in terms of how the difficulty works. This is very much a roguelite like Hades and I would argue that although it's harder, that's only because the 3rd dimension added takes more time to get used too. Once you figure out that it's 99% about movement (on controller anyway) and where you are going rather than the enemies or even most of their attacks, it becomes way simpler.

I recommend it to people, it's a very good game that could be done great if they do a sequel. I definitely feel, as I said above, that the "difficulty" mentions in reviews and online chatter have put people off playing it more than they should.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Beating this game after giving up on biome 3 then return(al)ing for another go a couple of months later, was one of my most satisfying moments in 43 years of gaming. I'll not have you besmirch this Redlambs with your superior gaming skillz

Redlambs

Beating this game after giving up on biome 3 then return(al)ing for another go a couple of months later, was one of my most satisfying moments in 43 years of gaming. I'll not have you besmirch this Redlambs with your superior gaming skillz
Oh no, you can consider it an achievement! It's not an easy game as such, the biomes themselves can throw up some proper tough spots when you start getting those blue/corrupt severed spawning. The bosses are cool but ultimately too weak, even if you get hit they barely do any damage.

I'm still on the same run, literally walked through biome 4 and the boss without sweat, now on 5 and quite like the layout of it.

The second half of the game is definitely a bit of a drop off though and nearly every gun is either a bit shit (at least on mouse) or OP as soon as you get any mod on them. Any sequel with some more varied levels and a good rebalanced would be awesome.

Ainu

I think the decision to not make the bosses too hard was a good one. A run up to a boss can take a seriously long time, like a solid hour or more if you're going through different biomes and building up strength through health increases, artifacts and consumables. Having a Soulslike boss test at the end of that would feel overwhelming. As it is, if you have a good run going and arrive in good condition, chances are you're going to beat the bosses first try, but it keeps the momentum going.

Redlambs

I don't really agree with that. I'm not saying they should be souls level or frustrating, but they don't really hit you and if they do it should hurt.

The game is about movement more than anything, there's not a lot of penalty for missteps. There's too many normal enemies that are harder to fight than bosses are.

Honestly the levels aren't even that long and there's shortcuts through the game anyway (that then give you decent proficiency so you aren't really losing out). Though I wonder if it was quite the same at the beginning? Maybe they've changed things over time.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The bosses were mostly easy. I struggled with the first two, after that they were fine, though Biome 6’s can be a bit tricky as there’s just so much going on. I never found the length of runs too bad either; once you’re upgraded a decent amount you can get through them fairly quickly. That being said I’m an explorer so I always liked completing every room, plus I was going for the platinum so wanted all the collectibles.