Revealed: how United missed out on Ronaldo

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
£ 100m for a 32 yo player?
No, thanks.

This guy has lost his agility, pace and trickery, he is not fun to watch anymore. Yes, he can score so many goals, but not for us or Portugal. He needs a Modric, Kroos et al bunch of world class midfielders so as to finish their job.
good timing.

iHicksy

Not really sure where he would play for us with Lukaku in the team. Everytime i've seen him for Madrid he plays around the box as a number 9. The way we setup requires our left attack slot to have pace and be able to track back a bit, neither of which Ronnie possesses any more. As much as I love him and would want him back i stuggle to see how we'd line up, unless in a 4-4-2 with him partnering Lukaku up top.

Lastwolf

Soooo, we could have had Ronaldo or Bale for that left attacker slot.

But don't.

See you next summer everyone.

I can't wait for the Ronaldo may be 33, but .. etc etc etc
I'm looking forward to the 40year old Ronaldo to come out of retirement only for him to sign a contract extension somehow.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Whether it's true or false, I'm very glad neither Ronaldo nor Bale ended up at OT. Don't need these prima dona mercenaries at this stage of our rebuild.

I much prefer younger talent like Pogba, Lukaku and Bailly using their hunger to establish their greatness.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Whether it's true or false, I'm very glad neither Ronaldo nor Bale ended up at OT. Don't need these prima dona mercenaries at this stage of our rebuild.

I much prefer younger talent like Pogba, Lukaku and Bailly using their hunger to establish their greatness.
It'll be hard enough sorting out the Rashford/Martial selection as it is, without bringing in someone whose profile/ego demands they play every game

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So Ronaldo wanted to come here, and Bale was offered to us by Madrid, yet neither play for us now.

Yeah, that sounds likely...

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I can't believe I just read that. What kind of sport man mentality is Mbappe equipped with? Loser mentality!!!!! So happy now we didn't go for him.

Yeah, beeing the successor of CR7 at Real Madrid as a 18 year old after just one season in professional football is not pressuring (and risky for his career then) at all. What a loser!!! (i know that you probably were not serious)

But i don't think this stuff is true anyways. If Ronaldo really wanted to leave, he would have kept pushing for it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
which means?
Well, with Ronaldo scoring 3 and assisting 2 (and being directly involved in another one) goals in his last 2 international appearances, I think your timing to criticise his goalscoring at international level was impecable.

ypsipeos

Well, with Ronaldo scoring 3 and assisting 2 (and being directly involved in another one) goals in his last 2 international appearances, I think your timing to criticise his goalscoring at international level was impecable.
You mean the Faroe Islands, right?
He can win them by himself, true.
EPL is not Faroe islands and we know he doesn't have the 1 goal per game for Portugal, even after he became a striker.

clarkydaz

Jose said only a few weeks ago bringing Ronaldo back was mission impossible. Yet he supposedly wanted to come and Perez wanted to sell him? ok

Macern

Pee pee pants
Yeah, beeing the successor of CR7 at Real Madrid as a 18 year old after just one season in professional football is not pressuring (and risky for his career then) at all. What a loser!!! (i know that you probably were not serious)

But i don't think this stuff is true anyways. If Ronaldo really wanted to leave, he would have kept pushing for it.
It's Successful, I think he was serious :p

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You know what, at the end of the day, Madrid still doing well. Better than that, arguably, they have the current best player in the world, Isco playing like a prime Zidane. They will be okay.

Needham

None of these stories are ever true even when they come to fruition because agents are playing a rule-less game of international contract chess where it is possible to win in numerous ways. Sports journalists then just edit a few rumours and concoct a pleasing narrative.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
How is not wanting the pressure to replace Ronaldo that could ruin his development a loser mentality?

Here's another one with a great mindset. Then why did Ronaldo move to Man United at the age of 18 and put on the #7 shirt? Are you up for the challenge or do you want to stay mediocre? He didn't think twice on his dream move and is always up for a challenge vs the best players such as Messi. Ronaldo is a person with an amazing mindset and I have no doubt he'd love to start on a blank page with just about anything, including zeroing his skills, reputation and awards and do his career over again. Mbappe is a weak coward. Absolutely zero respect for his choice. I'd been more understanding if he'd say he only did it for the MONEY.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Here's another one with a great mindset. Then why did Ronaldo move to Man United at the age of 18 and put on the #7 shirt? Are you up for the challenge or do you want to stay mediocre? He didn't think twice on his dream move and is always up for a challenge vs the best players such as Messi. Ronaldo is a person with an amazing mindset and I have no doubt he'd love to start on a blank page with just about anything, including zeroing his skills, reputation and awards and do his career over again. Mbappe is a weak coward. Absolutely zero respect for his choice. I'd been more understanding if he'd say he only did it for the MONEY.
Well that's very unfortunate as he speaks very highly of you.

Acole9

Outstanding
Ronaldo is never coming back. Every summer we have this rumour.

As for Bale, he's never coming here either. In his interviews he has made it clear he has no interest in coming to us.

RC89

Wait, so when they nearly had Mbappe for the second time why didn't they just offer us Ronaldo again? Why Bale?
Maybe because replacing Bale would carry much less burden than replacing Ronaldo?

RooneyLegend

As if we'd ever say no to our golden boy, Jose and Woody would do it just for the fans. In fact, if we ever had the chance to get Bale we'd get that done.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
£ 100m for a 32 yo player?
No, thanks.

This guy has lost his agility, pace and trickery, he is not fun to watch anymore. Yes, he can score so many goals, but not for us or Portugal. He needs a Modric, Kroos et al bunch of world class midfielders so as to finish their job.

As for Mbappe, he is raw material right now.
Whilst I agree that £100m for a 32 year old is obscene, he's not just any 32 year old, he's Cristiano Ronaldo. £100m for him at any age in this market is a bargain.

And if you'd watched Madrid at the end of last season you'd know he's slimmed down and looks agile and quick all over again. Trickery is always there, he's just a lot more efficient with it.

We had so many games last year where we battered teams and the score was 0-0 or a score draw. Ronaldo would've made a difference in at least a few of those.

In any case, didn't he have a massive falling out with Mourinho in Jose's last season at Madrid? Doubt he'd want to play for him again, especially now we're not the United he knows with SAF and co.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
You mean the Faroe Islands, right?
He can win them by himself, true.
EPL is not Faroe islands and we know he doesn't have the 1 goal per game for Portugal, even after he became a striker.
But even still his goalscoring record for Portugal is excellent, how can you even question his record. Hes playing for his home nation and as such the players in the team are not as strong as his team in La Liga. Even Messi has only scored 58 goals in 118 games so is on par with Ronaldos scoring rate.

ypsipeos

But even still his goalscoring record for Portugal is excellent, how can you even question his record. Hes playing for his home nation and as such the players in the team are not as strong as his team in La Liga. Even Messi has only scored 58 goals in 118 games so is on par with Ronaldos scoring rate.
Whilst I agree that £100m for a 32 year old is obscene, he's not just any 32 year old, he's Cristiano Ronaldo. £100m for him at any age in this market is a bargain.

And if you'd watched Madrid at the end of last season you'd know he's slimmed down and looks agile and quick all over again. Trickery is always there, he's just a lot more efficient with it.

We had so many games last year where we battered teams and the score was 0-0 or a score draw. Ronaldo would've made a difference in at least a few of those.

In any case, didn't he have a massive falling out with Mourinho in Jose's last season at Madrid? Doubt he'd want to play for him again, especially now we're not the United he knows with SAF and co.
Yes, La Liga and Faroe Islands are not EPL and Real Madrid is not United. What makes them better is not just Ronaldo.
Right now, I cannot think of one player as smart as Modric is, not one CM as athletic as Ramos is etc etc.

Anyway, I don't want Ronaldo back. I am bored of him and I would like to see somebody else for 100m pounds.

P.S. He is not our Ronaldo anymore. The pace and agility is gone forever. Forget it. Move on. He is not fun to watch anymore.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Yes, La Liga and Faroe Islands are not EPL and Real Madrid is not United. What makes them better is not just Ronaldo.
Right now, I cannot think of one player as smart as Modric is, not one CM as athletic as Ramos is etc etc.

Anyway, I don't want Ronaldo back. I am bored of him and I would like to see somebody else for 100m pounds.

P.S. He is not our Ronaldo anymore. The pace and agility is gone forever. Forget it. Move on. He is not fun to watch anymore.
I agree with Modric and Ramos. Modric is quite easily the best midfielder in the world and has been for a couple of years. However I think it's a very even toss up over who they'd miss more if one of them got injured for the entire season. Modric dictates the play perfectly but Ronaldo is the one that finishes, everything. Benzema, Bale, Asensio (not yet at least, despite his brilliant goals), Vazquez and whoever else they've got up front wouldn't make the difference in goals in so many games like Ronaldo does.

It's redundant either way, he's not coming back and you're right, he's not our Ronaldo anymore. Saying he's not fun to watch is bollocks though, even the theatrics play their part in making him entertaining, hate them or not.

Utd7

I call bs. The last bit about Bale being offered to us and we refused? That wouldn't make any sense considering Jose's comments about him.

Obiorahking_

You know what else Ronaldo is? Arguably one of the best players to touch a football. His ruthless and persistent mindset is biggest reasons he has reached the level he is today. Just because Mbappe didn't want the same challenge Ronaldo did dosen't make him weak. It makes him human.

IWat

No one was expecting Ronaldo to walk into Manchester United and be a superstar overnight, and he wasn't either at the start. Do you think Madrid would give him as much patience as we did Ronaldo? He'd be getting boo'd within a few games if he didn't produce what they were expecting.