Revealed: how United missed out on Ronaldo

Hed Zitin

Last edited by a moderator:

kps88

None of that is particularly far fetched.

cyberman

Wait, so when they nearly had Mbappe for the second time why didn't they just offer us Ronaldo again? Why Bale?

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I can't believe I just read that. What kind of sport man mentality is Mbappe equipped with? Loser mentality!!!!! So happy now we didn't go for him.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
So according to that he was worried he couldn't do the job, agreed anyway, then went elsewhere.

Okay.

kps88

Wait, so when they nearly had Mbappe for the second time why didn't they just offer us Ronaldo again? Why Bale?
Mbappe wasn't interested in joining the Madrid circus as a direct replacement for one of their greatest ever players. I don't blame him either, it's too much pressure for an 18 year old with one good season under his belt.

acnumber9

Because presumably his opinion hadn't changed that he didn't want to be Ronaldo's replacement.

Obiorahking_

I can't believe I just read that. What kind of sport man mentality is Mbappe equipped with? Loser mentality!!!!! So happy now we didn't go for him.
How is not wanting the pressure to replace Ronaldo that could ruin his development a loser mentality?

cyberman

Because presumably his opinion hadn't changed that he didn't want to be Ronaldo's replacement.
He wouldn't have to be his literal replacement to be seen as the heir to Ronaldo though? This makes no sense.

ypsipeos

£ 100m for a 32 yo player?
No, thanks.

This guy has lost his agility, pace and trickery, he is not fun to watch anymore. Yes, he can score so many goals, but not for us or Portugal. He needs a Modric, Kroos et al bunch of world class midfielders so as to finish their job.

As for Mbappe, he is raw material right now.

acnumber9

He wouldn't have to be his literal replacement to be seen as the heir to Ronaldo though? This makes no sense.
No but a season with Ronaldo still there would certainly help any bedding in period. It's probably bullshit but offering us Ronaldo a second time wouldn't solve the initial problem. It's certainly a little strange that the Mbappe to Madrid rumours just stopped all of a sudden so there was definitely some reason for it. Not being able to come up with the funds or squad space for it seem logical enough.

Hojoon

It's not far-fetched but these types of things are almost always bullshit. It's like we're in a stereotypical high school movie drama.

kotha

The Times is more reliable than the tabloid press right?

Lastwolf

So according to that he was worried he couldn't do the job, agreed anyway, then went elsewhere.

Okay.
Sounds like bullshit but the general narrative seems to be.

He didn't want the tag of the man they got rid of Ronaldo for, as Ronnie would have been and was being seen as a make weight in the deal, Real countered by keeping Ronaldo and trying to offload Bale since he's not well liked and has had only a good career at RM it's not a big of a deal then he can transition into Ronaldo's replacement in due time and not like for like.

Mbappe agreed to this.

Bale didn't want to go, Mbappe became concerned about playing time maybe and went to PSG instead.

Zoo

Castles also said half an hour before PSG announced Mbappe on deadline day that Barcelona were going to try and steal him.

Classical Mechanic

The Times is more reliable than the tabloid press right?
Yes. It will be well sourced but it could just be a leak from Madrid to make their complete failure in the transfer market look unavoidable, or perhaps they simply couldn't afford Mbappe and don't want that known.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think its ever been close to bring him back.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Real Madrid have spent very little (net) in the transfer market after 2009. Why is that? Surely if they wanted Mbappe now they could afford him.

Trizy

Real Madrid have spent very little (net) in the transfer market after 2009. Why is that? Surely if they wanted Mbappe now they could afford him.
Because they got lucky building their squad before the crazy market (apart from Bale & Ronaldo, who ironically inflated the market). Kross was like 18m because he was on his last year of his contract and wanted out and Modric was less than £40m is memory serves me correctly.

They haven't needed to sign a Galatico and they pretty much have the pick of their leagues young talent which will always be cheaper than prime talents.

Ban

No, thanks.

This guy has lost his agility, pace and trickery, he is not fun to watch anymore. Yes, he can score so many goals, but not for us or Portugal. He needs a Modric, Kroos et al bunch of world class midfielders so as to finish their job.

I don't like Ronaldo much but you're wrong. Dead wrong.
He's scoring for fun and he would do it for us also. It's not that we have a mediocre midfield or something and he do it only with Madrid midfield.

Also he scores a lot for Portugal too..

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Removed the article and added a rough summary as Caf has already been given a notice by Times for posting articles that are behind paywall.

RoyH1

Sounds like a load of warm excrement. This isn't some board game where you offer players back and forth for 9 digits like that.

yfoFC

No, thanks.

Uh mate, wrong time to be posting this as CR7 just got himself a hatrick for Portugal with a splendid scissors kick to go with it...

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Because they got lucky building their squad before the crazy market (apart from Bale & Ronaldo, who ironically inflated the market). Kross was like 18m because he was on his last year of his contract and wanted out and Modric was less than £40m is memory serves me correctly.

They haven't needed to sign a Galatico and they pretty much have the pick of their leagues young talent which will always be cheaper than prime talents.
They got Asensio for €4m or something. They're very lucky.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Think I'll believe the Spanish media like Cadena Cope, Ser and Onda Cero who reported, the reason Madrid didn't sign Mbappe was due to PSG offering him alot more money.

Duncan Castles has been rubbish in the window gone.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Soooo, we could have had Ronaldo or Bale for that left attacker slot.

But don't.

See you next summer everyone.

I can't wait for the Ronaldo may be 33, but .. etc etc etc

RoyH1

Think I'll believe the Spanish media like Cadena Cope, Ser and Onda Cero who reported, the reason Madrid didn't sign Mbappe was due to PSG offering him alot more money.

Duncan Castles has been rubbish in the window gone.
Makes a lot more sense too. I don't know if Castles is making stuff up or he just has bad sources.