Revealed: how United missed out on Ronaldo

dbryan

For me Ronaldo is never coming back. That ship sailed about five years ago at best.

I think once SAF left that was it. I mean the United he "loves" is the United of SAF. The United when we were still one of the best in Europe and certainly in England.

His love was for SAF, Evra, Rio, Scholes, Giggs people like that. That is why I never for one second under Moyes and LVG when I heard the stories about "Ronaldo coming home", believed it would happen.

For me he didn't love the club as so much love the people he spent his young years with.

Also a massive disappointment for me was in his movie, I was looking forward to seeing all the United footage...it was like 10 seconds of united. Felt really let down by that. I mean we were a huge part of his history and we were hardly featured.

For me he loves SAF and his young years a lot more than United...not to say he doesn't have feelings for the club were he became a superstar but why would he come back now? There is nothing left to prove.

Reactions: SteveJ

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
For me Ronaldo is never coming back. That ship sailed about five years ago at best.

I think once SAF left that was it. I mean the United he "loves" is the United of SAF. The United when we were still one of the best in Europe and certainly in England.

His love was for SAF, Evra, Rio, Scholes, Giggs people like that. That is why I never for one second under Moyes and LVG when I heard the stories about "Ronaldo coming home", believed it would happen.

For me he didn't love the club as so much love the people he spent his young years with.

Also a massive disappointment for me was in his movie, I was looking forward to seeing all the United footage...it was like 10 seconds of united. Felt really let down by that. I mean we were a huge part of his history and we were hardly featured.

For me he loves SAF and his young years a lot more than United...not to say he doesn't have feelings for the club were he became a superstar but why would he come back now? There is nothing left to prove.
Some people are in football for the money. Which is fair enough as long as they are professionals. The club need to be careful on this as they risk spending ridiculous sums of money on a player whose at the end of his career and in search for his last paycheck. We refused Beckham and we should do the same with Ronaldo

ypsipeos

even the theatrics play their part in making him entertaining, hate them or not.
The theatrics part always made me nervous and sad, even when he was our Cristiano. In fact, they played a serious role in me getting bored of him. Different people like different things mate.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Agree with alot of this.

I'd expand abit on the bolded part: Some Manchester United fans disproportionately remember his time at the club, as they haven't closely followed his Madrid career. Ronaldo will never be remembered as a Manchester United player by non-MUFC fans or football fans outside UK, in the same way that Zidane is barely remembered for his contributions to Bordeaux or Juventus.

MUFC was always a stepping stone for Ronaldo to help him achieve his boyhood dream of playing for Madrid. He may have enjoyed himself and become close to SAF, but its a transactional part of his journey, demonstrated by the '10 seconds of United' in his biographical movie.

I don't have a problem with that: both parties benefitted from his latter 3 years at the club, who were very well compensated for contributing to his development when he left. But it's for these reasons that I'd never rate Ronaldo as a United legend. He did not contribute over a long enough period to deserve such a eulogy and was not at the club during his prime years.

Parry Gallister

Agree with alot of this.

I'd expand abit on the bolded part: Some Manchester United fans disproportionately remember his time at the club, as they haven't closely followed his Madrid career. Ronaldo will never be remembered as a Manchester United player by non-MUFC fans or football fans outside UK, in the same way that Zidane is barely remembered for his contributions to Bordeaux or Juventus.

MUFC was always a stepping stone for Ronaldo to help him achieve his boyhood dream of playing for Madrid. He may have enjoyed himself and become close to SAF, but its a transactional part of his journey, demonstrated by the '10 seconds of United' in his biographical movie.

I don't have a problem with that: both parties benefitted from his latter 3 years at the club, who were very well compensated for contributing to his development when he left. But it's for these reasons that I'd never rate Ronaldo as a United legend. He did not contribute over a long enough period to deserve such a eulogy and was not at the club during his prime years.
Agree with the principle point you are making. But he did win a CL here, which makes it a much bigger footnote than the Zidane example, even if it is still a footnote.

Mindhunter

Agree with alot of this.

Certainly feels that way but he won the CL here as well as the Ballon D' Or. Also, we were champions of England, Europe and the world during his time here so it definitely wasn't a stepping stone. We were a world-beater at that time.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Every fecking summer since he left we deal with this stupidity.
That's it.
I also think Griezmann will be joining Ronaldo. He is already being linked to us again, this January. No doubt, he will be linked to use next Summer and every transfer window, thereafter.
It's very frustrating as it builds hopes up, only for no transfer to materialise.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only way Ronaldo comes here is if Madrid practically gives him away.
The economics just do not work.

cyberman

Utd are too big of a club to have people forget about Ronaldo being a Utd player ffs.
Henry will always be an Arsenal player despite winning it all at Barca for example. When I think of Bale I still see a Spurs player.
Maybe back in the day when it was harder to get games from various leagues but a Zidane / Juve / Madrid question is getting less and less likely as time moves on.
Zidane never had that big moment for Juve that other top players have had that gets memes and are spread over twitter etc

GBBQ

Utd are too big of a club to have people forget about Ronaldo being a Utd player ffs.
Henry will always be an Arsenal player despite winning it all at Barca for example. When I think of Bale I still see a Spurs player.
Maybe back in the day when it was harder to get games from various leagues but a Zidane / Juve / Madrid question is getting less and less likely as time moves on.
Zidane never had that big moment for Juve that other top players have had that gets memes and are spread over twitter etc
What Ronaldo achieved at United was only a prelude to what he would do at Madrid. Hugely important part of his career but he will be synonymous with Madrid.

As for the others its not the same scenario, the players you consider as legends of their EPL team both played way more games in England than Spain.

Henry - had 1 great season (out of the 3 he spent there) with Barcelona but majority of his playing highlights were with Arsenal.
Bale - As it stands he was at Spurs longer and played more games there so might be the reason for that. Though i think most would think of Madrid rather than spurs.
Zidane's career was neatly split between Madrid and Juventus but had more highlights with Madrid so is more associated with them.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The Times is more reliable than the tabloid press right?
They ran a three issue back cover story on how qatar were going to set up a champions league competion for the summer

cyberman

@GBBQ
He'll be synonymous with Madrid but a Balon Dor winner who spent 5/6 years at a monster club like Utd will never be forgotten. Its not as if it was a "Thanks for coming" situation we had with Pique.
Anyway Ronaldo is such a legend that all aspects of his career will be celebrated once he retires. We won't be allowed to forget since he'll want the massive support of two monstrous fanbases for whatever he does post retirement.