Music Revival - Eminem Album | Also Kamikaze

b82REZ

Expected more discussion on the Manchester bombing lyric tbh.

Obviously a sensitive topic but I feel I'd be hypocritical if I complained about it because hes said much worse things about equally horrific events.

I think it's just because that event was so close to home for a lot of us.

DoomSlayer

Wordplay, lyrical abilities and rhyme schemes are on point as usual. On a first listen, I love 6 or 7 tracks, the rest are good or meh, with 2-3 that I don't like at all, particularly the Young M.A. one.

Em is one of the greatest and as a "white boy" myself, from a sort of obscure European country, he is what initially got me into hip hop. I feel like one of his worst aspects since Relapse are beat picking and choruses, and I think I could survive the beats I don't like if it wasn't for the horrible choruses at times, because Eminem can ride any beat anyway. Shit, sometimes I think some of those tracks will sound better acapella.

Favourite tracks so far (on a one listen only) - Premonition, You Gon' Learn, Those Kinda Nights (the singing hook by Ed Sheeran almost threw me off the whole track, but it's too catchy to not love it), Godzilla, Darkness, Yah Yah, Lock It Up, I Will. Personally, Premonition, Lock It Up and I Will sound the most natural to me, special mention to Darkness because of the deep meaning behind the whole track and also to Yah Yah, because he got legends like Black Thought and Q-Tip on an album.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Obviously a sensitive topic but I feel I'd be hypocritical if I complained about it because hes said much worse things about equally horrific events.

Yeah I'm exactly the same, feels strange criticising him for it when he's basically anhilated other such sensitive topics and I've enjoyed the songs.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I've heard this comment before. Genuinely curious - what should he be saying? Rap/Hip-hop has had plenty of music with a deep message but just as much/if not more is about the MC showing their technical prowess. After 20+ years making music, Eminem has probably said as much as he can in terms of his life and the things he wanted to shine a light on, but I'm glad we get to hear his flow and word play now, when it's arguably at its peak. People said a track like Fall or The Ringer was just about disses, but it contains some of his best rhyming and word plays even without saying anything 'new'. I guess it feels like Eminem is held to a standard that most artists aren't, in that sense. Genuine comment, btw, not meant as a comment on you, 2mufc0!

And sorry, I just saw your follow up post... I get it, but not sure if taking on topics like mass shootings actually makes the end product any better, although of course it's quite wonderful to see someone with his platform and profile supporting gun control.
I do appreciate the word play and rhymes I said that in my post mate. I can understand your point of view, but we can disagree and I think it all comes down to taste. Personally I like rap music that tries to make a point, tell a story or talk about stuff the rapper is going through. I do appreciate the rap skill but for me it's not the only reason I listen to it, I can appreciate it but I would lose interest and after the first listen I won't go back to listen. Eminem has combined both in some tracks in this album and I like what I hear.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Well being controversial is his stock in trade isn't it? It's hard to take anything he says seriously. And, in musical terms, he's been an irrelevance for years anyway.

DoomSlayer

And, in musical terms, he's been an irrelevance for years anyway.
He's the 10th best selling artist of the last decade in all music genres. Not sure how you quantify irrelevance but Eminem is always relevant around the globe.

People forget that their own environment doesn't determine things like that. Eminem might not be appreciated in the US anymore, but everywhere else his work is highly anticipated and respected.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Honestly on the surface that seems quite tame, I can understand how some people would be offended but it's not like raopers haven't used atrocities as metaphors before.
Yeah it's not that bad and he's done worse previously.

I can understand being offended if you're not a fan, but if you're a fan of his music and this is too far for you, then you're so hypocritical

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah it's not that bad and he's done worse previously.

I can understand being offended if you're not a fan, but if you're a fan of his music and this is too far for you, then you're so hypocritical
Agree mate, I don't even think it's in the top 10 offensive things he's said in the past.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Time to get paid; blow up like the World Trade.

Rappers use controversial lines all the time, I understand the people directly impacted by the Arena bombing not liking it but the general outrage is a bit much. It’s nothing new and it’s not even the only such line on that track.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oh and the comment I saw on the BBC from someone suggesting he was piggybacking off Ariana’s fame is laughable beyond measure.

RedTiger

Half mast
Time to get paid; blow up like the World Trade.

Rappers use controversial lines all the time, I understand the people directly impacted by the Arena bombing not liking it but the general outrage is a bit much. It’s nothing new and it’s not even the only such line on that track.
Was going to say this as well. It's like one of the most iconic bars in hip hop history.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Oh and the comment I saw on the BBC from someone suggesting he was piggybacking off Ariana’s fame is laughable beyond measure.
People born in 2002 are 18 years old now... I'm sure many of them even truly believe it as well.

kidbob

Technique wise one of the best rappers ever. Infinite and his first 2 major albums are the best things he'll ever release and people need to accept it. The Slim Shady LP is incredible for it's sheer anger at everything and he'll never do that again because as he has grown up he has mellowed. I'm happy for the guy and hope he is doing better now having left us with 3 of the best rap albums ever. He's still one of the best rappers alive but doesn't have the fire to recreate the early stuff and that should be a good thing for fans who care about his well being.

All musicians 'mellow' out as they get older and so in many ways get 'worse' (unless you are jazz or classical based and your music depends on how good you are at an instrument and deep understanding of music). The same would have happened to Cobain if he had made it through his struggles.

Gazza

I do appreciate the word play and rhymes I said that in my post mate. I can understand your point of view, but we can disagree and I think it all comes down to taste. Personally I like rap music that tries to make a point, tell a story or talk about stuff the rapper is going through. I do appreciate the rap skill but for me it's not the only reason I listen to it, I can appreciate it but I would lose interest and after the first listen I won't go back to listen. Eminem has combined both in some tracks in this album and I like what I hear.
Of course, that's why I was curious and was wondering if you'd elaborate, no big! I think if people are searching for some deeper message in most rap/hip-hop/commercial music then they may be disappointed, but I get what you're saying and I'm sure you're happy with whatever's on your playlist :)

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's the 10th best selling artist of the last decade in all music genres. Not sure how you quantify irrelevance but Eminem is always relevant around the globe.

People forget that their own environment doesn't determine things like that. Eminem might not be appreciated in the US anymore, but everywhere else his work is highly anticipated and respected.
And I'd imagine there's some proper shit in that top 10.

He's like a rap Rolling Stones, still a massive name and filling arenas but he's not pushing boundaries anymore and the shock factor has faded.

And I live in the UK by the way.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I listened to the whole album this morning. I mean, it's no doubt a great work of lyricism and his technique is never in question. But his songs just doesn't have it for me anymore. I don't even dislike the songs but I probably would never go and replay them myself. Godzilla was pretty dope though.

DoomSlayer

And I'd imagine there's some proper shit in that top 10.

He's like a rap Rolling Stones, still a massive name and filling arenas but he's not pushing boundaries anymore and the shock factor has faded.

And I live in the UK by the way.
I was talking about the objective reasons why you calling someone like Eminem irrelevant is wrong. If you had said he is washed, it's subjective and I can see why you would have such an opinion.

In my eyes, Em proved he still had it with Kamikaze. The Ringer, Lucky You and Not Alike were pure classics to me that I will still be playing in the next years. Killshot is another example, dope production and layers of intricate wordplay and double or even triple entendres.

I have only listened to the new album once, I like the concept and some of the songs are cold, but I don't get that strong vibe as the last album. Though I have to admit that experience has showed me how my first impressions on albums almost always end up differently after a few more thorough examinations.

Fact of the matter is, as one poster above mentioned it, Eminem got old and that energy from his youthful days is over. He may try and get better in terms of wordplay or crazy flows, but the delivery will never be the same in the end. Like @kouroux said, it's impossible to top something like Till I Collapse, for example, every powerful song like that takes a part of your soul as an artist with it, at least that's how I feel.

TrustInOle

This song is a piece of art.
Finally got round to a few more songs of the album and just came across this. Now, I am now from America so can only speculate. But what a tremendously well written (whole track was a double entendre) piece. Such a huge subject of controversy over there and someone as poweful as Em bringing more awareness, to what is in my opinion an outlandish law to still be fighting for, can only bring a positive impact.

Truly the best craftsmen to pick up a pen and I will go ahead and say this has easily become one of my top 3 Em songs withing the second listen. Masterpiece.

TrustInOle

Yeah I'm exactly the same, feels strange criticising him for it when he's basically anhilated other such sensitive topics and I've enjoyed the songs.
I think the issue with some of his content is, you can see the craftsmanship behind it when it isn't hitting to close to home. Alot of what Em says tend to have a separate meaning to the one suggested initially by what he says. But again, as you touch on, this isn't the first time he has touched on touchy subjects and can't seeing it be his last. His original fame cam from controversy alongside his talent.

AaronRedDevil

@DoomSlayer Good man you are using me as reference! Still to this day, I haven't heard a song that's had the same effect on me as "Till I collapse"
Till I collapse is just to much of a beast track. I miss hearing the emotion in his voice. Like White America, his voice was badass. Still love him though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Stopped listening to Eminem after relapse. I find all his stuff to be pretty lame after Encore.

Was at Slane Castle in 2013 though and it was pretty fecking epic.

DoomSlayer

@DoomSlayer Good man you are using me as reference! Still to this day, I haven't heard a song that's had the same effect on me as "Till I collapse"
Top 5 hip hop track of all time and I don't even know which ones I would include, but this one is definitely in it. :lol: Em and Nate Dogg in their prime, it gives me the chills literally every time I play that. Nate always brought the heat back in the day, Lay Low is also one of my all time favourites, it just gets you into that mindset straight away and you just feel it in all your body. RIP to the legend.

Looking at all the reactions on YouTube and people dissecting the lyrics shows to me that all the talk about Eminem being irrelevant is just bullshit. It's not just "old heads" that rock with his shit, young people are also in love with his art form and appreciate his abilities to go into different styles so easily, which is great to see and also gives a different point of view on his music, because every person perceives the tracks differently.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it" is a legendary bar that always comes into play in those kind of discussions. See Darkness as an example, it gets more and more insane with every listen and analysis of the whole concept, the video and the double meaning behind it. I find the criticism of Eminem "but does it get played in the club though?" hilarious and so out of place, because he also gets negativity about "going pop" and doing so many sarcastic or edgy tracks. I feel like he is always in a catch 22 situation and there is no win condition with some people, who will simply never like, appreciate or respect his craft.

BootsyCollins

Top 5 hip hop track of all time and I don't even know which ones I would include, but this one is definitely in it. :lol: Em and Nate Dogg in their prime, it gives me the chills literally every time I play that. Nate always brought the heat back in the day, Lay Low is also one of my all time favourites, it just gets you into that mindset straight away and you just feel it in all your body. RIP to the legend.

Looking at all the reactions on YouTube and people dissecting the lyrics shows to me that all the talk about Eminem being irrelevant is just bullshit. It's not just "old heads" that rock with his shit, young people are also in love with his art form and appreciate his abilities to go into different styles so easily, which is great to see and also gives a different point of view on his music, because every person perceives the tracks differently.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it" is a legendary bar that always comes into play in those kind of discussions. See Darkness as an example, it gets more and more insane with every listen and analysis of the whole concept, the video and the double meaning behind it. I find the criticism of Eminem "but does it get played in the club though?" hilarious and so out of place, because he also gets negativity about "going pop" and doing so many sarcastic or edgy tracks. I feel like he is always in a catch 22 situation and there is no win condition with some people, who will simply never like, appreciate or respect his craft.
good post. Agree with everything, and Nate Dogg is my favorite artist of all time. So RiP to a legend indeed.

fergieisold

I listened to the whole album this morning. I mean, it's no doubt a great work of lyricism and his technique is never in question. But his songs just doesn't have it for me anymore. I don't even dislike the songs but I probably would never go and replay them myself. Godzilla was pretty dope though.
Pretty much sums it up! He's very good but there's just something missing vs the early stuff. I've never seen him live, maybe I'll wait until he's old enough to start doing 'album' tours :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'd say I feel the same overall even if I would listen to this album still. You make a very good point with the "it" factor but it makes sense because of his longevity as an artist. Still the GOAT for me

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Haven't really connected with anything he's released since The Eminem Show (which is a great album), tbh. There's been songs that i've quite liked over the years, but it's never gone beyond that. The guy is still one of the best of all time though, no doubt.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wasn't that the mum of one of the victims of the attack? I remember thinking it was a dumb comment but due to the person saying it I thought a pass was earned.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't Eminem donate a lot of money or fundraise towards The victims and their families in the aftermath? He's been referencing tragedies throughout his career, this is nothing new.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's the type of thing that pops up in lyrics sometimes. It's getting more attention in the UK because this particular example is closer to home but would get a more disinterested reaction if it was about a US attack, which it could just as easily have done. Obviously the mayor of manchester and the families of the victims aren't going to like it because of course they wouldn't. Nothing to see beyond that really.