Revolution in Iran

Spark

Only if the army turns against the religious fanatics there is some hope of overthrowing this regime. All the middle east muslim-dominated countries seem to be hopeless, there is not a single good example...
Yeah this. Any change will require the police and army to turn against the state. However, Iran is effectively run by a pseudo-mafia in the IRGC who control just about all aspects of the economy (basically the SS for want of a better equivalency) and they will never turn against the state as they owe literally everything to it.

Doubt the current disorder will lead to revolution, however these protests are becoming more and more regular - something will have to give sooner rather than later (and with the Ayatollah on his last legs the succession will be potential dynamite).

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
With the clampdown there seems to be less news and footage getting out, but there are unverified videos from last night claiming to show protests and clashes very much continuing, including in Mashhad and Qom which would be the two primary centres of the religious establishment in Iran (especially Qom).

frostbite

" Gunfire, tear gas and at least '133 people killed' "

https://news.sky.com/story/mahsa-am...f-people-running-while-gunshots-fire-12710882

Mahsa Amini: Top Iran official urges security forces to deal with protesters harshly as videos emerge of people running while gunshots fire

Protests have been taking place in Iran, and several other countries, following the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who died after being detained by morality police for allegedly not adhering to the country's strict Islamic dress code.

2cents

Scout

frostbite

Iranians : We demand Freedom

Khamenei : What about the West ?
He is right, isn't he? If it wasn't for the West, they'd never demand freedom, they'd be happy to do what they are told.

Spark

USA vs England in the same group as Iran in Qatar... looking like that could be an explosive tie... wouldn't go anywhere close to there if you paid me
Best world cup group of all time in my opinion. USA, England, Iran, Wales. Iran to beat the two satans and qualify, in my opinion.

Also are you insinuating Iran will blow up the world cup being held in Qatar (their allies)? Because if they want to fast forward a revolution, killing their football fans on the world stage is an easy way of doing it. They also have no history of suicide bombings, as far as I'm aware.

2cents

Scout
iran faces this kind of thing every five years or so
Just thinking about this a bit more. There were major anti-government protests in 2017/2018 and again in 2019. Then Covid hit Iran very badly, but now we have this current wave. All suggests this is becoming a very regular and significant feature of life in Iran, much more so than pre-2018.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Only if the army turns against the religious fanatics there is some hope of overthrowing this regime. All the middle east muslim-dominated countries seem to be hopeless, there is not a single good example...
Tunisia maybe strictly North Africa rather than Middle East, but protests worked there.

neverdie

Just thinking about this a bit more. There were major anti-government protests in 2017/2018 and again in 2019. Then Covid hit Iran very badly, but now we have this current wave. All suggests this is becoming a very regular and significant feature of life in Iran, much more so than pre-2018.
there's definitely a generational wave of discontent. i would just go back to the iranian demographics. a very young country, increasingly more prosperous despite the sanctions. that tends to produce liberalism and liberalism tends to run against the most stringent of regime policies. said it a few days back, but the problem is that millions of twenty and thirty something iranians are not well placed to accept something like the "morality police" when that bleeds, literally, into such things as minor transgressions being met with repressive force. it's been lingering for more than a decade, really. they'll have to solve it at some point or there will be a revolutionary movement. i don't think this is it, though.

neverdie

True. The west in collaboration with the Zionist entity are pulling all the strings.
the more distance the "west" keeps from iran, the better are the outcomes for iranians. anything the regime can use, real or perceived, to paint this as "america" or "israel" or "britain" is bad for iranian protestors and bad for the "west", which means those three countries in iranian shorthand, insofar as the west wants a liberal counterbalance to emerge.

staying well out of it is the wisest course. a movement like this can turn into a revolution if it breeds from the inside out. if it gets pushed from the other direction, it will collapse.

RedDevilQuebecois

Animals.

All of those clerics and regime officials deserve to have their beards and balls cut off by the angry people. That is the kind of hell they deserve before they beg for their misery to end.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The regime could've ended this quickly by just removing that draconian law on headscarfs and preventing a full blown revolution.

2cents

Scout
The regime could've ended this quickly by just removing that draconian law on headscarfs and preventing a full blown revolution.
I don’t think the removal of one particular law would be enough to stem these waves of protests, certainly not in the long term. It would take fundamental, across-the-board reforms of the type that the Islamic Republic is simply unable to implement without undermining its own basis for legitimacy and authority.

marktan

* Revolution in Iran sponsored by the US version number 20

Unlike most of the countries of the so called Arab spring, Iran is too strong a country to even remotely be bothered by this

The United

Unlike most of the countries of the so called Arab spring, Iran is too strong a country to even remotely be bothered by this
Which is sad for some of its people.

Hanks

Kindly go and do one.

This disgusting bigotry of low expectations is as Iranian people, 85 million of them, don't have the will power and courage to seek change and would need "CIA/USA" support to seek a revolution.

Imagine you'r a woman in Iran:
- You always have to cover your hair and body
- You're not allowed to leave the country without permission of a male
- You can't sing
- You can't go to football stadium
- Your inheritance is half of that of a man.
- You can't hold hands or kiss your boyfriend/husband in public
- You can't own a freaking dog

and I could go on and on....

My people don't need CIA approval to seek change from this disgusting foreign entity that has been ruling us for 43 years. The foreign entity that doesn't even use the word "IRAN" when its leaders speak. They only say "Jomhooriye-Eslami = Islamic Republic" . You have to understand Farsi language to know our pain.

Do you know IRGC stands for Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corpse...in Persian: Sepah-e-Pasdarane-Jomhooriye-Eslami. Do you see any mentions of IRAN there? You know the country that has existed 2500 years before these ***** stole it 43 years ago?

"CIA Color revolution" for dissident right is like "Paid Russian bot" for left when it comes to events/opinions that don't match their world agenda. Lazy and the biggest example of bigotry of low expectations.

Anyways, today there has been protests ALL over the country. I'll post some footage. It has been THE Largest day of protests since Mahsa's murder.

in Mashhad

from Nazi-Abad, south of Tehran, it's poorest and most religious section.

IR goons and a pregnant woman.

Karaj

Banner in Tehran, saying: "We don't fear you anymore, we'll fight like it's a war."

Tehran university chanting: "They took our Nika away (the 16 year old who disapepared for days and then his dead and raped body was given by regime to her parents) , they brought back her corpse".

There is more.

This is by far the longest and most intense series of protests in the past 43 years. The chants are all about changing the regime. Our football players have been arrested and intimidated to the point that the IR TV didn't show the Porto-Leverkusen CL game last mid-week (2 Iranian players for both teams) because of MAHSA and Iran support flags at the stadium. Calls have been issued to confiscate Ali Karimi's assets. Players who have voiced public support of protests have been sidelined in their respective clubs.

The mood is a "THIS IS IT" "WE'LL FIGHT BACK" mood. I'm part of Telegram channel with my old high school friends (18 years ago) and we've removed the 2 IR-sympathetic "friends" from the chat (from a chat of 40 people). There is no justifying the crimes of what we call, the Shi'a Daesh. You have to understand Farsi and know the very details of Iran's political and social life to see the damage they have done to this country and its people, and that's why there is so much resentment and hatred against them now.

marktan

Kindly go and do one.

This disgusting bigotry of low expectations is as Iranian people, 85 million of them, don't have the will power and courage to seek change and would need "CIA/USA" support to seek a revolution.

- You can't sing

My people don't need CIA approval to seek change from this disgusting foreign entity that has been ruling us for 43 years. The foreign entity that doesn't even use the word "IRAN" when its leaders speak. They only say "Jomhooriye-Eslami = Islamic Republic" . You have to understand Farsi language to know our pain.

Do you know IRGC stands for Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corpse...in Persian: Sepah-e-Pasdarane-Jomhooriye-Eslami. Do you see any mentions of IRAN there? You know the country that has existed 2500 years before these ***** stole it 43 years ago?

"CIA Color revolution" for dissident right is like "Paid Russian bot" for left when it comes to events/opinions that don't match their world agenda. Lazy and the biggest example of bigotry of low expectations.

Anyways, today there has been protests ALL over the country. I'll post some footage. It has been THE Largest day of protests since Mahsa's murder.

in Mashhad

Karaj

Banner in Tehran, saying: "We don't fear you anymore, we'll fight like it's a war."

Tehran university chanting: "They took our Nika away (the 16 year old who disapepared for days and then his dead and raped body was given by regime to her parents) , they brought back her corpse".

There is more.

This is by far the longest and most intense series of protests in the past 43 years. The chants are all about changing the regime. Our football players have been arrested and intimidated to the point that the IR TV didn't show the Porto-Leverkusen CL game last mid-week (2 Iranian players for both teams) because of MAHSA and Iran support flags at the stadium. Calls have been issued to confiscate Ali Karimi's assets. Players who have voiced public support of protests have been sidelined in their respective clubs.

The mood is a "THIS IS IT" "WE'LL FIGHT BACK" mood. I'm part of Telegram channel with my old high school friends (18 years ago) and we've removed the 2 IR-sympathetic "friends" from the chat (from a chat of 40 people). There is no justifying the crimes of what we call, the Shi'a Daesh. You have to understand Farsi and know the very details of Iran's political and social life to see the damage they have done to this country and its people, and that's why there is so much resentment and hatred against them now.
Don't get me wrong I sympathise with what the protesters are trying to achieve, regarding women's rights. I hope they manage to achieve meaningful change.

I'm just pointing out that where there's been protests of this kind in non friendly countries, the US is not far behind in sowing the seeds of discord through financial, undercover and editorial means.

And they would love a regime change and it is not always a good thing. Ask the Libyans if they're happy that NATO bombed the shit out of Libya in the name of getting rid of Gaddafi. Or the Syrians if they're happy the US funded the Free Syrian Army in the name of getting rid of Assad. New regimes and political systems are malleable to influence - it's part of why a lot of countries like China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Iran are so authoritarian.

2cents

Scout
Kindly go and do one.

- You can't sing

in Mashhad

Karaj

There is more.

Great post, nice to have you back posting here.