Revolution in Iran

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
If they start massacring people in high numbers surely that's not sustainable. Regular army/police have families too. But anyway, I don't know much about it so, so maybe wishful thinking.
I’ve no idea about the composition of the Iranian army, but I wonder if it’s significant that the most violent operations during this crisis seem to have been conducted in the south-eastern Baluchi and western Kurdish regions on the periphery of the country.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Something very scary is happening in city of Mahabad tonight. See the below videos. Electricity cut off, heavy artillery, machine guns, crying and screaming ...

My god....They have militarily attacked the city !
What the feck.

2cents

Scout
Some of these videos have the feel of Syria around April to June 2011.

Hanks

A very ruthless crackdown is happening in Kurdish cities of Javanrood and Piranshahr now. Too much blood in the footage, won't post.

Really have to admire the Kurds so much (and have heard from similar sentiments from Iranians all over Iran on social media and close knit). They are different breed of persistent and fearless. The day Tehran becomes 5% as fearless as Kurdistan province, it's game over for the regime.

Let's see if players actually show a tangible and strong support during the match and redeem themselves, or will they forever go down as the Islamic Republic national team in Iranian history.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
A very ruthless crackdown is happening in Kurdish cities of Javanrood and Piranshahr now. Too much blood in the footage, won't post.

Really have to admire the Kurds so much (and have heard from similar sentiments from Iranians all over Iran on social media and close knit). They are different breed of persistent and fearless. The day Tehran becomes 5% as fearless as Kurdistan province, it's game over for the regime.

Let's see if players actually show a tangible and strong support during the match and redeem themselves, or will they forever go down as the Islamic Republic national team in Iranian history.
Players not singing. That's significant isn't it? Or is it?

Hanks

Players not singing. That's significant isn't it? Or is it?
Yea, it's been the theme of all sport teams last month. There are 2 particularly pro-regime players but both were on the bench.

Hope this isn't the only sign of support they'll show. We'll see what happens if they score.

better than them not singing the anthem, was Iran fans booing and whistling the Islamic Republic anthem.

Hanks

The situation is very bad in the West. people flooding to blood banks to donate blood.

I just heard Iran fans call players "Bi-Sharaf" which means "Without dignity" about 3 minutes ago (looks like non-singing of anthem hasn't made some forget about their meeting and bowing down to Raisi). Now they are chanting Ali Karimi's name at the stadium (the political exilee legend, not the player who's playing in this game".

Got text from someone in Iran and said the neighbourhood cheered in celebration after the second England goal went in.

Let's see how the protests will go after the game, but the situation in Kurdistan is very bad. It's a massacre today.

Kaos

The situation is very bad in the West. people flooding to blood banks to donate blood.

I just heard Iran fans call players "Bi-Sharaf" which means "Without dignity" about 3 minutes ago (looks like non-singing of anthem hasn't made some forget about their meeting and bowing down to Raisi). Now they are chanting Ali Karimi's name at the stadium (the political exilee legend, not the player who's playing in this game".

Got text from someone in Iran and said the neighbourhood cheered in celebration after the second England goal went in.

Let's see how the protests will go after the game, but the situation in Kurdistan is very bad. It's a massacre today.
Are you Kurdish?

Hanks

Are you Kurdish?
No mate. I'm from Esfahan. But as a kid I travelled to Iranian Kurdistan with my family a lot. Sanandaj, Marivan, Saqqez and Baneh. Amazing people and beautiful scenery.

Re-posting from the England-Iran matchday thread. This is Tehran's Ekbatan neighbourhood (one of the most active in protests almost every night) cheering and celebrating when Sterling scored the 3rd goal.

This team lost the people when they bowed down to the butcher and no non-singing of the anthem has changed the feelings, from what I'm hearing now.

2cents

Scout

Hanks

I'm starting to feel bad for the players, but maybe 10-15% of people I know have changed their stance about them after non-singing of the anthem. They are still very angry at those happy photoshoots and meeting with Raisi. Players got rinsed by pro-regime media after 6-2. They even became a joke among protestors chanting: "Death to the republic of 6 goals" .... the anger is beyond words.

The regime is conducting some sort of cleansing in the Kurdistan region. Today (Thursday) mass protests across the country are planned in support of Kurdistan.

I do have a feeling that Turkey and IR have made a deal in the background, since Turkey is contemplating a full offensive into Rajava, northern Syria, and lately IR-regime English-speaking mouthpieces on Twitter have been mentioning "Kurdish terrorists" a lot.

I've been to Iranian Kurdistan a few times as a kid and have nothing but amazing memories. Some of the kindest and most down-to-earth folks in Sanandaj, Marivan, Saqqez and Baneh. Really, brings back so many childhood memories. Not to mention the beautiful scenery and nature there.

It's clear that the disgusting regime has identified Kurdistan, in their view, as the "head of snake" and they want to use it to make an example of. It's absolutely vital that the rest of Iran treats it as their own pain and support them today. Fingers crossed !

2cents

Scout
I do have a feeling that Turkey and IR have made a deal in the background
I was thinking the same this week. Kurds getting hammered from all sides right now.

2cents

Scout

Hanks

My uncle is in Qatar with a few of our cousins. He says it's basically like having IR morality police near the stadiums. Lion and Sun flags get confiscated pre-match, even today "Woman Life Freedom" flags were asked to be put down by the stewards. The regime has made a deal with Qataris to keep things in check there. He says it's like being back inside IR.

Also, there are many imported fans that wear overly decorative Islamic Republic symbol outfits....like today wow!

Also, the regime arrested a very popular ex-national team player who was part of WC2014 roaster, Voria Ghafouri yesterday at his team's training. He's been a vocal critic of the regime and he's been arrested with charges of "spreading propaganda and instigating riots".

The scenes at the end of the game today would have felt different if one didn't knowhow ruthlessly the regime has tuned their crackdown.Football is nothing when you see those scenes...

Also, UN yesterday passed a motion to create a fact-finding mission for gross violations of human rights in Iran, including all the usual stuff + rape in prisons:

Hanks

Videos of celebrations after Iran loses to USA and is eliminated from the World Cup. Happening live at 1am Tehran time:

this is right after full time whistle in a neighbourhood in Tehran!

Hanks

Karaj right now. Celebrations after Islamic Republic team loses to USA.

Hanks

Is the government being referred to as Islamic occupiers?
Yes. and it's a regime, not a government. Even the heads of the regime call themselves a regime: (Nezam in Persian langauge), and not gov't.

Few days ago, a "parliament" member said: "Preserving the regime is more important than safety of Imam Mahdi (the Jesus figure for Shi'a believers)

2cents

Scout
Few days ago, a "parliament" member said: "Preserving the regime is more important than safety of Imam Mahdi (the Jesus figure for Shi'a believers)
That is in line with Khomeini's famous letter to Khamenei of 6th January 1988:

"I should state that the government, which is part of the absolute deputyship of the Prophet, is one of the primary injunctions of Islam and has priority over all other secondary injunctions, even prayers, fasting and hajj."

*(edit): just found a closer Khomeini quote: "the preservation of the Islamic Republic is a divine duty is above all other duties. It is even more important than preserving the Imam of the Age." [16th November 1981]

Last edited:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
That is in line with Khomeini's famous letter to Khamenei of 6th January 1988:

"I should state that the government, which is part of the absolute deputyship of the Prophet, is one of the primary injunctions of Islam and has priority over all other secondary injunctions, even prayers, fasting and hajj."
Government, of any ideology that you associate with, is the utmost thing which should be upheld. That isn't a crazy statement to make. Through the government, regime, establishment etc, are they enabled and empowered to subject their citizen to any law they choose. It allows them to remain in power.

2cents

Scout
Government, of any ideology that you associate with, is the utmost thing which should be upheld. That isn't a crazy statement to make. Through the government, regime, establishment etc, are they enabled and empowered to subject their citizen to any law they choose. It allows them to remain in power.
I don't think it's crazy. In one sense it's somewhat pragmatic, since it gives the government/supreme leader, etc. the authority to disregard the precepts of Islamic law, as traditionally defined by the ulama, when it is in the state's interests to do so. In the context of 1988, it is likely that matters such as agreeing to a ceasefire with Saddam Hussein, and implementing an Iranian boycott of the Hajj, were on Khomeini's mind.

On the other hand, in a state self-identifying as one divinely mandated in terms of Islam, it implies a complete identification of Islam with the state and its laws. So that in such a state breaking the law is not just considered a crime, but also a sin. And since in practice all states are subject to the random whims and errors we associate with human action, the subsequent cynicism felt for the state may then be projected on to Islam. Hence perhaps the disillusionment some Iranians today seem to feel for Islam as it has been defined for them at least in recent years.

Hanks

More videos of people in Iran celebrating losing to US and elimination from World Cup. It's almost 3am there now !!

Foxbatt

Once the majority of the Iranians want it to be overthown they will do it. They overthrew The Shah too. It has not reached the tipping point. Hopefully it will reach soon.

Foxbatt

The mullahs know that the military might back the people and that's exactly why they keep the regular military weak and pump up the Revolutionary Guards

Pintu

I've seen multiple reporters pointing out that it was a remark that was made by one official and have been misinterpreted or misrepresented.
It’s the Attorney General. Apparently he said it wasn’t his domain (the written law voted in 83 by the Islamic regime is a bit vague) and he said that the police had decided to stop applying that policy right now until a final review of this law is complete (the morality police was created by Ahmedinejad in 2005)

The Attorney General was answering some conservatives voices complaining that they are seeing too many women going around without their headscarf.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
In 2022 it’s unreal to think that the Iranian men are still desperate to control their women. Small dick m’fers!

Hanks

Yea. The morality hasn’t been disbanded at all . It was fake news which was widely reported in Western Media all over the news. Like wtf? Don’t journalists do simple fact-checking or corroborating anymore ??

and the regime today officially executed a 23 year old protestor. I saw the reaction of his family when they found out today morning … no words …

His official crime: “Blocking the street and injuring a Basij member.”

There was 3 days of mass strikes from Monday to Wednesday and gatherings in several cities yesterday.

2 other developments:

1- Khamenei’s sister yesterday publicly announced she’s ashamed of her brother and hopes for the end of his tyranny in Iran.

2. documents revealed IR top officials are negotiating with Venezuela for political aassylum for them and their families if/when they revolution succeeds.

The Firestarter

Yea. The morality hasn’t been disbanded at all . It was fake news which was widely reported in Western Media all over the news. Like wtf? Don’t journalists do simple fact-checking or corroborating anymore ??

and the regime today officially executed a 23 year old protestor. I saw the reaction of his family when they found out today morning … no words …

His official crime: “Blocking the street and injuring a Basij member.”

There was 3 days of mass strikes from Monday to Wednesday and gatherings in several cities yesterday.

2 other developments:

1- Khamenei’s sister yesterday publicly announced she’s ashamed of her brother and hopes for the end of his tyranny in Iran.

2. documents revealed IR top officials are negotiating with Venezuela for political aassylum for them and their families if/when they revolution succeeds.
How reliable is point 2? I thought it was unlikely it succeeded because they had the "monopoly on violence" i.e all the arms. If this news is true then even it revealing can have a massive effect.