Revolution in Iran

Rajma

Let’s pray for the protesters, especially women and their safety in their quest to democracy against the brutal regime. This could be massive for global geopolitical structure. The internet has been shot down by the regime across the country, thus it’s difficult to get a precise picture of events on the ground but it’s seems like the repressive security apparatus may have ceased the control at this point.

neverdie

especially women and their safety in their quest to democracy against the brutal regime.
thought this was the afghan thread. women are always used in western media whenever there's a hostile muslim state which needs to be propagandized. when the incentive disappears, the concern also evaporates. not much money or traction to be had in the "afghani women" line these days, especially since the afghans' national reserves were stolen from them inciting a famine which is actually killing women.

on direct topic, not sure this is a "revolution". there probably isn't the number of people needed for it to reach that threshold. hundred of thousands of counter demonstrators were out in the streets on friday. the regime still enjoys support. it's an old problem. iran faces this kind of thing every five years or so and everyone in the new york times bubble pretends to care about iranian people until it all blows over, when they become evil demons again.

Maroon Lucifer

seeing all those videos of those brave women of Iran removing their hijabs in front of the morality police is just... wow. Incredibly brave

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
thought this was the afghan thread. women are always used in western media whenever there's a hostile muslim state which needs to be propagandized. when the incentive disappears, the concern also evaporates. not much money or traction to be had in the "afghani women" line these days, especially since the afghans' national reserves were stolen from them inciting a famine which is actually killing women.

on direct topic, not sure this is a "revolution". there probably isn't the number of people needed for it to reach that threshold. hundred of thousands of counter demonstrators were out in the streets on friday. the regime still enjoys support. it's an old problem. iran faces this kind of thing every five years or so and everyone in the new york times bubble pretends to care about iranian people until it all blows over, when they become evil demons again.
Good point. Also such a familiar trope to see the hijab as such a talking point. Women in Iran protesting to taking it off. Women in France demonised and fined for keeping it on. Almost like it should be left to the women to decide whether they want to wear it or not.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Good point. Also such a familiar trope to see the hijab as such a talking point. Women in Iran protesting to taking it off. Women in France demonised and fined for keeping it on. Almost like it should be left to the women to decide whether they want to wear it or not.
False equivalency to compare fines with murder. I agree thought that it should just be left to woman's choice but reform movements that try to shine a light on these things being a product of patriarchal culture should be highlighted.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
False equivalency to compare fines with murder. I agree thought that it should just be left to woman's choice but reform movements that try to shine a light on these things being a product of patriarchal culture should be highlighted.
The murder was abhorrent but that’s not the equivalency I’m drawing. If a woman wants to wear it that’s her right just as it is for a woman who doesn’t want to wear it.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The murder was abhorrent but that’s not the equivalency I’m drawing. If a woman wants to wear it that’s her right just as it is for a woman who doesn’t want to wear it.
Which already I mentioned that I agreed with in the very post you quoted. The equivalency was drawn by mentioning both in the same gist. The "choice" itself is a bit of a tricky subject to tackle since the cultural and religious ecosystem enforcing such norms makes it hard for most to break out of such gender discriminatory practices. But nevertheless I don't support France style laws of banning it all together.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Isn’t this technically a revolution against the revolution?

RedDevilQuebecois

Six bullets for removing her hijab, really? Animals. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only thing that women have ever asked is a right to choose just as it is in any country out there where there is no obligation to wear nor remove the hijab. I have seen Muslim women not wearing it and others wearing it by choice. And I agree with someone before me who wrote that the French approach is not the way either. The right for a woman to choose whatever is what matters here, and we need to be reminded of that every single time.

edit: Wow, that's a jab and an uppercut.

Kopral Jono

Which already I mentioned that I agreed with in the very post you quoted. The equivalency was drawn by mentioning both in the same gist. The "choice" itself is a bit of a tricky subject to tackle since the cultural and religious ecosystem enforcing such norms makes it hard for most to break out of such gender discriminatory practices. But nevertheless I don't support France style laws of banning it all together.
Yep, mentioning both in the same breath is woke whataboutism at its finest. French laicite is detestable but state-sanctioned murders are on a completely different level.

Giggsyking

As long as it stays in the hands of the people and away from the dirty hands of the west and the does not ride the wave (as they usually do) and pollute it.

Jericholyte2

It genuinely feels like we’re living through a genuine turning point in geopolitical history.

frostbite

But is it Islam or theocratists interpreting Islam wrong?
Who cares? Makes no difference in practise. Again and again Islam produces problems, while it solves no real problems of the modern world. That's the result of millions of people trying to live their lives like it is 1000 years ago, or following a silly book written ages ago.

Same for dogmatic Christians, of course. At least many Christians have accepted that their faith is a personal matter, they can believe whatever but they should not tell others how to live their lives. When Christians insist on telling others how to live their lives they only produce new problems, like the abortion issue in the USA. Unfortunately, Islam today is too far from accepting that faith is a personal matter.

Best of luck to the women of Iran. It is such a pity that the country of Iran is under an autocratic, theocratic government for 40+ years now. They have only caused misery around the world supporting all the wrong people everywhere.

neverdie

https://thecradle.co/Article/News/16095

somewhat funny is that the iranians are blaming the kurds. it's that point certain regimes get to where they see a conspiracy behind every event. like nixon thinking the civil rights movement was the communists. sometimes when you have inequalities, it only takes one symbolic case to stand for all the other ones which aren't stated but are implied. george floyd was a similar thing. iran's problems are, as usual, internal. it will have to reform somewhere down the line. it has a very young and highly educated population. it's also increasingly richer. these are factors which don't point to toleration of "morality police" for much longer. this has been the regime's struggle for a long time, though.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
For clarity on the above post since it didn't make clear that the woman in the video was the one shot.

Last edited:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
What happens if the protesters win, who comes to power. Do they have a leader?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What happens if the protesters win, who comes to power. Do they have a leader?
Define winning. Overthrowing the government? Or forcing the government to make policy changes?

Usually there tend to be prominent opposition figures who seize power in events like this. Don't know how it would play out in Iran though.

RedDevilQuebecois

They could well ban all clerics out of politics if the current regime gets overthrown. The clear separation between religion and politics is the step that will come next.

Suv666

I doubt any form of protest can actually successfully overthrow a modern state unless the protestors are armed to the teeth and its becomes a bloody civil war.

Feck these religious extremists.
Fecking shit up all over the globe.

Foxbatt

There have been many attempts to topple the Mullahs in Iran. Eventually they will succeed. The main issue is that the moment there is an attempt the western countries jump on the bandwagon and start slogans supporting it and it collapse because the Mullahs rightly point out it's a western intervention and the Iranians don't want outside interference.

The Firestarter

I doubt any form of protest can actually successfully overthrow a modern state unless the protestors are armed to the teeth and its becomes a bloody civil war.

Feck these religious extremists.
Fecking shit up all over the globe.
A well organised militia

frostbite

Only if the army turns against the religious fanatics there is some hope of overthrowing this regime. All the middle east muslim-dominated countries seem to be hopeless, there is not a single good example...