Ricardo Pereira

ROFLUTION

So how's this fella doing at Leicester?

2 goals and 7 assists according to FPL. Not bad for a right back. He's close to Robertson numbers albeit having played at right wing on a couple of occasions.. The numbers should make him interesting for all top 6 clubs.. And if Wan B is in the mix, should Pereira be too? Can he actually defend, etc?

Has a great cross on him and can cross well with both legs.

Obligatory Youtube Comp::

Negan

Best RB in the league. And nobody is convincing me otherwise.

I wanted him at United since he was at Porto.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A few of those attacking returns were when he was playing on the wing.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Says a lot about our scouting that we obviously watched him and Dalot and we ending up buying the worse player currently. Even if you can argue Dalot has more potential the team clearly needed someone that can deliver immediately. As a result we have the Young situation. More evidence of our poor management and direction since even before Fergie retired.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Says a lot about our scouting that we obviously watched him and Dalot and we ending up buying the worse player currently. Even if you can argue Dalot has more potential the team clearly needed someone that can deliver immediately. As a result we have the Young situation. More evidence of our poor management and direction since even before Fergie retired.
Holy moly.

Never seen nonsense like it

IrishRedDevil

As usual, United paid no interest when he moved from Porto to Leicester for £17.5m. Now if we are interested he would cost circa £50m. It was ok though, as we had Ashley Young to rely on. Dalot is a good player but he is one for the future.

The same thing with Rodri who moved from Villarreal to Atletico last season for £17m, now he will cost circa £70m.

Our scouting network is a joke. Sorry that I picked this thread for a mini-rant.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
As usual, United paid no interest when he moved from Porto to Leicester for £17.5m. Now if we are interested he would cost circa £50m. It was ok though, as we had Ashley Young to rely on. Dalot is a good player but he is one for the future.

The same thing with Rodri who moved from Villarreal to Atletico last season for £17m, now he will cost circa £70m.

Our scouting network is a joke. Sorry that I picked this thread for a mini-rant.

For every Pereira though you get a Slimani. Leicester as a club can afford to take more low level punts, whereas a club like United have the financial muscle to pursue more 'proven' players. If you keep going after plays in the 15-30m bracket the likelihood is that you'll be around where Leicester are, which is mid/upper mid table. Some will turn out great, but others will prove they aren't really good enough at the top level, it's really not very easy to filter out who is who until you see them play in the top leagues.

I mean look at Adrien Silva as well. What the hell happened to him at Leicester?

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He could have come here, have struggled at a bigger club and ended up being forgotten about.
Agreed he may well have. But he's joined the same league and done well. I would suspect if we signed him instead of Dalot we wouldn't have the same issues we have at RB currently.

I'm sure you're not going to argue that he's not better than anything we have currently to play there?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Will we get this literally every time a club signs a good player? ‘We’re so useless, why didn’t we get him?’. Do we not expect other clubs to sign good players?

IrishRedDevil

Will we get this literally every time a club signs a good player? ‘We’re so useless, why didn’t we get him?’. Do we not expect other clubs to sign good players?
Other clubs can sign good players of course, and they sign many duds also, but I expect Man United and their multitude of resources to be able to sign players that help the team improve. Taking £50m punts on players like Fred, with no idea on how he fits into a system, raises questions. We can’t just ignore the failings as there is something fundamentally wrong. All the money spent in recent years and people still think we need to spend £200m-£300m on 4-6 first team players - it all gets a bit tiresome.

Edit: not the thread for this debate.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Other clubs can sign good players of course, and they sign many duds also, but I expect Man United and their multitude of resources to be able to sign players that help the team improve. Taking £50m punts on players like Fred, with no idea on how he fits into a system, raises questions. We can’t just ignore the failings as there is something fundamentally wrong. All the money spent in recent years and people still think we need to spend £200m-£300m on 4-6 first team players - it all gets a bit tiresome.

I can’t argue here.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
For every Pereira though you get a Slimani. Leicester as a club can afford to take more low level punts, whereas a club like United have the financial muscle to pursue more 'proven' players. If you keep going after plays in the 15-30m bracket the likelihood is that you'll be around where Leicester are, which is mid/upper mid table. Some will turn out great, but others will prove they aren't really good enough at the top level, it's really not very easy to filter out who is who until you see them play in the top leagues.

I mean look at Adrien Silva as well. What the hell happened to him at Leicester?
To be fair that Adrien situation was more so he lost 6 months because of the transfer saga and when he came back the team were in a bas situation and the coach already had the players he trusted and Adrien just lost the ship completely. I mean he is doing great up in Monaco now. I think Lecester was always a bad idea.

Slimani did good in his first season lots of important goals in CL especially but Leicester never played too his strengths. Either way Sliamni was never a world beater but rather a great squad player.

SportingCP96

Supports

Its Amazing how so many people knew Fred was a bad idea and not United material yet a professional scout thought otherwise and he was wrong. Not once did I see Fred play and say "woah".

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If I'm not wrong he played few games as RW.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair that Adrien situation was more so he lost 6 months because of the transfer saga and when he came back the team were in a bas situation and the coach already had the players he trusted and Adrien just lost the ship completely. I mean he is doing great up in Monaco now. I think Lecester was always a bad idea.

Slimani did good in his first season lots of important goals in CL especially but Leicester never played too his strengths. Either way Sliamni was never a world beater but rather a great squad player.

Fair. It's always a risk though, whether the player will be suited to a certain team/atmosphere, the quality might be there but that doesn't always mean the player will be a success.

Do you mean Slimani's first season at Leicester? He only scored the one CL goal for them and 7 goals in 23 PL games.

IrishRedDevil

Yeah I get that. There is risk involved with every transfer, no matter how well they are scouted, how cheap/expensive they are, how much talent they have, how proven they are etc.

I know if United start signing £15-20m players, fans will complain and say the Glazers aren’t spending money, lack ambition etc, so the club can’t win at times.

It’s frustrating though that we are shopping on a higher shelf, in terms of money/wages involved, yet we aren’t getting the benefits. The need for a DOF and a clear footballing plan is a matter of urgency - I hope this happens under Ole.

SportingCP96

Supports
Fair. It's always a risk though, whether the player will be suited to a certain team/atmosphere, the quality might be there but that doesn't always mean the player will be a success.

Do you mean Slimani's first season at Leicester? He only scored the one CL goal for them and 7 goals in 23 PL games.
Ohhh my fault I remember the goal against Porto in CL and then could of sworn he scored 2 more in the groups.

8 goals though is ok for a team who never played a way to benefit him. Nonetheless he is a squad player no more than that. Good to bring off the bench and haggle defenses.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah I get that. There is risk involved with every transfer, no matter how well they are scouted, how cheap/expensive they are, how much talent they have, how proven they are etc.

I know if United start signing £15-20m players, fans will complain and say the Glazers aren’t spending money, lack ambition etc, so the club can’t win at times.

It’s frustrating though that we are shopping on a higher shelf, in terms of money/wages involved, yet we aren’t getting the benefits. The need for a DOF and a clear footballing plan is a matter of urgency - I hope this happens under Ole.
Generally speaking if you're having to spend more, the player will be more proven/more likely to be elite. There's exceptions to that of course with situations like release clauses etc, but most elite clubs will have brilliant scouting networks (like barcelona picking up Arthur) but still spend huge on players who they know are proven to be the real deal. You obviously have to find the balance with that, you can't only sign world stars in every position.

Fans definitely shouldn't complain if United sign 15-20m players, but I think would be justified in complaining if you were only shopping in that region, because as an elite club you should be looking to also sign players who can come straight in and be among the best in their position.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ohhh my fault I remember the goal against Porto in CL and then could of sworn he scored 2 more in the groups.

8 goals though is ok for a team who never played a way to benefit him. Nonetheless he is a squad player no more than that. Good to bring off the bench and haggle defenses.
He was pretty much Leonardo Ulloa level, and I think Leicester for the money/wages expected a little more. Agree that they didn't play to his strengths though.

SportingCP96

Supports
He was pretty much Leonardo Ulloa level, and I think Leicester for the money/wages expected a little more. Agree that they didn't play to his strengths though.
For sure for 30M you expect at least 15-20 goals.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Same with Mahrez and Mendy at City. Also a joke of a club.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
If I'm not wrong he played few games as RW.
You are right he did play a few games on the wing & looked pretty good.

He struggled initially defensively but has come on by leaps and bounds over the last 15 games & has been one of our best players. I imagine that the big six will come calling on him pretty soon but I hope we can at least hold on to him for one more season.

Davie Moyes

Didn't Porto sell Peraira as they had Dalot coming through and rated him more highly? However Utd knew about Dalot's release clause and activated it before they could agree a new contract with him. Have some patience with Dalot. Mourinho rated him as the best full back around in his age group.

Reactions: golden_blunder

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The other day someone said that we should sign the Norwich youth scouts and coaches since they are apparently doing a better job than United staff

Jib

He was already very good 2 years ago in France with Nice.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The other day someone said that we should sign the Norwich youth scouts and coaches since they are apparently doing a better job than United staff
Getting out of hand. Seems we need to win a football match again.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Leicester's back 4 are better than ours.

NoPace

Leicester's back 4 are better than ours.
Better than Arsenal's too. It's a really solid unit, even though Chilwell gets a bit bored of defending and Maguire gets confused and Evans was better 2-3 years ago.

Rodgers needs to rebuild their midfield apart from Maddison, and find another CB for depth, but the defense is top 6 quality.

Ekeke

Better than Arsenal's too. It's a really solid unit, even though Chilwell gets a bit bored of defending and Maguire gets confused and Evans was better 2-3 years ago.

Rodgers needs to rebuild their midfield apart from Maddison, and find another CB for depth, but the defense is top 6 quality.
Their midfield is better than the defense. Although its currently including a loaned player