Ricardo Pereira

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just the rightback and a better DM than Matic
I reckon Chilwell is more well rounded than Shaw. There's a reason City have been interested.

And Id say Evans and Maguire are marginally better than Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailly. On a par with Lindelof.

But as a unit, overall, Leicester's is better.

Ekeke

I reckon Chilwell is more well rounded than Shaw. There's a reason City have been interested.

And Id say Evans and Maguire are marginally better than Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailly. On a par with Lindelof.

He had some good form early but he's made some mistakes defensively himself over the past 3 months or so. When Chilwell was originally picked over Shaw I thought it was deserved but his form dropped off since then.

Smalling is better than any of those.

Smalling - Lindelof is about as good as Evans and Maguire. The difference is Leicester dont have a weak link like Ashley Young in their defense

Bubz27

He had some good form early but he's made some mistakes defensively himself over the past 3 months or so. When Chilwell was originally picked over Shaw I thought it was deserved but his form dropped off since then.

Smalling - Lindelof is about as good as Evans and Maguire. The difference is Leicester dont have a weak link like Ashley Young in their defense
We disagree on this, that's the difference. All good though.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Crazy that Pereira and Dalot cost the same but we decided to go for the player with less games and the worse player, hopefully Dalot will develop, but behind behind a 35 year old failed winger doesn't fill me with confidence.

NoPace

Their midfield is better than the defense. Although its currently including a loaned player
Don't agree. Can't count Tielemans for long-term planning, as you say, and while Maddison has done well and N'Didi is a great presser, I don't trust the latter's passing and Gray and Barnes look like backups for now and Albrighton the same and as an aging winger is probably due for a step down the Prem or even to the Champo.

If they're trying to crack the top 6 next year they need to bring back Tielemans, sign 2 wingers (or have one of Barnes or Gray breakout, which fair enough they might being 21 and 22 and having pace and some skill if both being fairly headless at the moment) and see growth from N'Didi as a passer.

Whereas defensively, they might only need a backup FB who can play both sides, since Benkovic is apparently doing great at Celtic (I read, haven't seen myself at all) and Soyuncu didn't come off but maybe in year 2, did cost 20M and has 20 Turkish caps at age 22 and seems to have been at least looked at by the better teams in Europe.

They need to buy most of a midfield, not waste money on defense, as you can see in this game where they've held City out well but obviously can't cope with them in midfield.

Ekeke

Don't agree. Can't count Tielemans for long-term planning, as you say, and while Maddison has done well and N'Didi is a great presser, I don't trust the latter's passing and Gray and Barnes look like backups for now and Albrighton the same and as an aging winger is probably due for a step down the Prem or even to the Champo.

If they're trying to crack the top 6 next year they need to bring back Tielemans, sign 2 wingers (or have one of Barnes or Gray breakout, which fair enough they might being 21 and 22 and having pace and some skill if both being fairly headless at the moment) and see growth from N'Didi as a passer.

Whereas defensively, they might only need a backup FB who can play both sides, since Benkovic is apparently doing great at Celtic (I read, haven't seen myself at all) and Soyuncu didn't come off but maybe in year 2, did cost 20M and has 20 Turkish caps at age 22 and seems to have been at least looked at by the better teams in Europe.

They need to buy most of a midfield, not waste money on defense, as you can see in this game where they've held City out well but obviously can't cope with them in midfield.
Defending is a team job. Midfield is helping the defense a lot with defending. Particularly Ndidi and Choudhury both making vital contributions around and inside their own box.

Midfield and defense both stood off too much for Kompany who just scored

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Crazy that Pereira and Dalot cost the same but we decided to go for the player with less games and the worse player, hopefully Dalot will develop, but behind behind a 35 year old failed winger doesn't fill me with confidence.
Pereira as a 20 year old was playing as a winger for Vitoria Guimarães, with 22 barely played for Porto and was playing as a forward on the under 21 Euros making a partnership with Ivan Cavaleiro. Only started to play regularly as a fullback when he went on a 2 year loan for Nice under Puel and Favre before he returned to Porto. It’s not as easy as it looks.

Classical Mechanic

A lot of their team would get in ours.
Thing is though, when Puel was there you wouldn’t have been saying this. Now they have a coach that plays an attractive style and getting a better level out of his side.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Pereira as a 20 year old was playing as a winger for Vitoria Guimarães, with 22 barely played for Porto and was playing as a forward on the under 21 Euros making a partnership with Ivan Cavaleiro. Only started to play regularly as a fullback when he went on a 2 year loan for Nice under Puel and Favre before he returned to Porto. It’s not as easy as it looks.
Fair enough, honestly never watched either myself so I bow to your superior knowledge of the league and Portuguese players, Dalot was definitely meant to be first choice for Porto that season before Leicester City bought him, just don't understand why we would pay the same amount for a youth player with less than 10 games under his belt.

Bubz27

Thing is though, when Puel was there you wouldn’t have been saying this. Now they have a coach that plays an attractive style and getting a better level out of his side.
Decent point but I advocated Periera from Porto, and actually that season at Nice he looked promising.

Maguire was on people's lists from the world cup really. Although I'm not saying we should sign him, but he isn't a flavour of the month type player.
Same with Evans, not saying we should sign him. But Smalling could easily leave us and have a similar career that Evans has had. He isn't considerably better than him, and Smalling's probably our best option alongside Lindelof.

Chilwell's been getting better and better, and City were even tentatively linked last summer as well. It's not all about Rodgers making them better, but he has made them better.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I remember watching him play at Porto last season and being very impressed. I'm surprised none of the top six was in for him in the summer. Great purchase from Leicester.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fair enough, honestly never watched either myself so I bow to your superior knowledge of the league and Portuguese players, Dalot was definitely meant to be first choice for Porto that season before Leicester City bought him, just don't understand why we would pay the same amount for a youth player with less than 10 games under his belt.
Superior knowledge? No, I am not Doctor Nuno Espírito Santo. Thanks. :lol:

Will take that as a positive. No I agree with some of the points you made. I guess Ricardo fits on that category of players we didn’t expected much as a youth player and year by year he is getting better.

I honestly am trying to put myself on a positive note here before someone finds on my historic 1 year ago if he was good enough to play for Manchester United.

I mean if you watch one of his first games of the season at Bournemouth it was a nightmare for him vs Fraser. Horrible really.

Credit to him and Moutinho I guess they were the 2 best players from Portugal this season.

Let’s see if in the future Dalot can step up, but I also have some curiosity if Mourinho ever thought about Pereira or not.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Superior knowledge? No, I am not Doctor Nuno Espírito Santo. Thanks. :lol:

Will take that as a positive. No I agree with some of the points you made. I guess Ricardo fits on that category of players we didn’t expected much as a youth player and year by year he is getting better.

I honestly am trying to put myself on a positive note here before someone finds on my historic 1 year ago if he was good enough to play for Manchester United.

I mean if you watch one of his first games of the season at Bournemouth it was a nightmare for him vs Fraser. Horrible really.

Credit to him and Moutinho I guess they were the 2 best players from Portugal this season.

Let’s see if in the future Dalot can step up, but I also have some curiosity if Mourinho ever thought about Pereira or not.
Well I know nothing about the Portuguese league so yeah, you have superior knowledge! :lol:

No doubt Dalot is talented, but I remember we used to look into players backgrounds and attitudes before signing them, Pereira has improved this season clearly, and you dont suddenly develop that attitude overnight.

The fact Dalot can't get past Young is worrisome to say the least.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You guys should be all over him if you can't get Wan Bissaka. One of the two for sure.
He has a huge engine, works hard, great on the ball.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well I know nothing about the Portuguese league so yeah, you have superior knowledge! :lol:

No doubt Dalot is talented, but I remember we used to look into players backgrounds and attitudes before signing them, Pereira has improved this season clearly, and you dont suddenly develop that attitude overnight.

The fact Dalot can't get past Young is worrisome to say the least.
I hope he doesn’t fit that category who looked great at youth tournaments but struggles at professional level. Well we can compare him with other player from the same country on the same position. Cancelo with 20 was playing on the B team at Benfica with Bernardo Silva. Honestly he better play as a right fullback, another thing is knowing how much he can develop or not.

Would Ricardo be playing at this level under Mourinho or Solskjaer? The pressure is bigger too. Imagine the implosion here if he had a game like that at Bournemouth. Wait and see.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I hope he doesn’t fit that category who looked great at youth tournaments but struggles at professional level. Well we can compare him with other player from the same country on the same position. Cancelo with 20 was playing on the B team at Benfica with Bernardo Silva. Honestly he better play as a right fullback, another thing is knowing how much he can develop or not.

Would Ricardo be playing at this level under Mourinho or Solskjaer? The pressure is bigger too. Imagine the implosion here if he had a game like that at Bournemouth. Wait and see.
All you say is true, I remember Foster looking good on loan before turning to crap here, I must say the interviews Dalot gave when he came here were impressive, I just cant get over how Young is still playing at right back after his performances this year.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
All you say is true, I remember Foster looking good on loan before turning to crap here, I must say the interviews Dalot gave when he came here were impressive, I just cant get over how Young is still playing at right back after his performances this year.
If he doesn’t improve anything next season it might be that moment where everybody will ask why Mourinho didn’t went for Pereira. Must be said I have the impression Leicester went for him at a similar time as United for Dalot if I am not wrong.

I hope not of course.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Best Portuguese right fullback who for whatever reason isn’t called to the team based on a weak performance vs Uruguay. Ridiculous.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It does seem a bit odd that we went for Dalot instead of Pereira. We always seem to make it difficult for ourselves.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
you think he is better than Semedo or Cancelo?
Than Semedo for sure, and even if he isn’t better than Cancelo he currently is, because one plays every week and the other don’t. It’s a question of meritocracy for me. I am not a big fan of Semedo tbh.

Smores

It does seem a bit odd that we went for Dalot instead of Pereira. We always seem to make it difficult for ourselves.
Odd? Isn't signing young prospect exactly what the caf demands all the time?

Adam-Utd

Not when we needed a ready made fullback straight away. Dalot is clearly nowhere near ready either (not to mention never fit)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is Periera that much older anyway? He'd have counted as young when Leicester bought him. Another huge own goal by our scouting department. Pereira went for only a few million more than Dalot is twice the player.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Is Periera that much older anyway? He'd have counted as young when Leicester bought him. Another huge own goal by our scouting department. Pereira went for only a few million more than Dalot is twice the player.
he's 25

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Mourinho should know Portuguese fullbacks pretty well. I trust him on his judgement of Dalot. I think he’ll come good. Pereira is a cracking player but right back isn’t a position we need to be complaining about now

Adam-Utd

Mourinho should know Portuguese fullbacks pretty well. I trust him on his judgement of Dalot. I think he’ll come good. Pereira is a cracking player but right back isn’t a position we need to be complaining about now
Mourinho also bought a centre back that can’t head - and now calls him out on it.

Dalot was clearly bought with potential in mind, but that’s relying on him making it. Pereira took to the league straight away and would have suited us perfectly.

anyway let’s hope Dalot proves Jose right.

LInkash

Yes, his knowledge of the Portuguese league is very good. He goes on about how much he watches it. He also bought Lindelof from the Portuguese league and has then gone on to talk about how weak he is in the air. Being a top defensive minded coach, that's a very odd move to make. It's Iike he knew he'd have to play attacking football at Manchester United but wasn't really sure how you do that so he bought a 'ball-playing' centre back and an young attacking right back and thought that would work out as that's what you do in attack minded teams.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Pereira definately is better than Cancelo. Just because he plays for Leicester he's overlooked. Cancelo may attack a bit better but is not half as athletic, cannot track back nearly as well and Portugal is not an expansive team anyways to support Cancelo's style.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not really. They just tend not to want 28/29 year olds on big money who end up being a burden on the club.

Pereira would have been a very good signing.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
He is the best footballing right back in the league by some distance. Very good on the ball technically

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Favre actually turned him into a fullback at Nice. He's been doing great seasons since then.

Since he was a winger he sometimes makes inside movements that causes some damage on the defense positioning

Adam-Utd

It's not all bad as we have AWB.
I mean now yes, but we could have had another year of pereira and 1 less of young.

we could now be spending 50m instead on another player in need. Anyway...