Rice and Haaland join United in 2022?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Haaland will go to City - their transfer strategy changed this summer and I would expect them to now sign £100m players regularly (previously they would sign two £50m players).

redrobed

I would support the decision to sign Halaand. Don’t want Rice though. If the CM we’re signing really has to be English I’d rather we get the dude from Leeds as he seems to take his football a lot more seriously and I appreciate his professionalism.

RkkMan

Bit of an exaggeration. He still would play Left even for juve and is still very good from the left
He played off the left more in his first Season but he's been playing a lot more through the middle since 2019. His fitness is incredible but you're being too optimistic if you think he has the same level of pace and dynamsim at 36 than when he was younger. It certainly won't translate in the PL

RkkMan

All those saying Ronaldo means no Haaland, due to him wanting to be main man and ego etc.

I think you underestimate how Ronaldo is viewed by his fellow pro's.

Imagine saying to Haaland, go to United and spend a year training and playing with arguably the greatest player to have ever played the game.

Erling is young enough to do this too! Not like he is Kane in the peak years and needs to make one final correct move.
Mbappe wants to ditch PSG with Messi there to be the main man at a faltering Madrid side so yes it's very possible Haaland(who has the same level of ambition as Mbappe) refuses to come here to play behind Ronaldo when he's already a superstar with a ridiculous scoring rate at 21 knowing he can be the main man elsewhere which suits his portfolio far better than being a 2nd choice here. I said it earlier unless Ronaldo flops like Alexis Haaland or any other top ST isn't being signed anytime soon

Infra-red

Haaland isn't coming here to play second fiddle to Ronaldo and Ronaldo plays second fiddle to no man. It's pointless posting fantasy lineups with both players in the side, when the reality is they will never now play together in their careers.

We've made our choice - the certainty of acquiring Ronaldo this summer versus the very doubtful prospects of getting Haaland ahead of all of his suitors next summer. Time will tell if we made the right decision.

Next summer we'll have Matic and Pogba to replace, the goalkeeping situation to resolve and our starting CBs will both be 29. We'll leave City/Real/PSG to battle it out for who can offer Raiola the biggest Haaland commission.

RkkMan

Haaland isn't coming here to play second fiddle to Ronaldo and Ronaldo plays second fiddle to no man. It's pointless posting fantasy lineups with both players in the side, when the reality is they will never now play together in their careers.

We've made our choice - the certainty of acquiring Ronaldo this summer versus the very doubtful prospects of getting Haaland ahead of all of his suitors next summer. Time will tell if we made the right decision.

Next summer we'll have Matic and Pogba to replace, the goalkeeping situation to resolve and our starting CBs will both be 29. We'll leave City/Real/PSG to battle it out for who can offer Raiola the biggest Haaland commission.
I don't think Pogba leaving is a sure bet JUST YET
If we have a good season I reckon he signs a new deal. I don't think Madrid will be hot on heels for him anymore since they've signed Camavinga whilst already having Valverde and Kroos who's still top class at 31. I also don't think Maguire/Varane being 29 is an issue either that's AT LEAST 2 world class years of service(could be more) they can provide before we can stress over replacements and by then we'll likely have solved the DM issue with other players improving so a major title will happen. The GK situation is simple whoever improves on last season remains as No1 and whoever misses out leaves for another team with Heaton becoming 2nd choice. Unless both GKs spectacularly flop nothing complex there

Last edited:

Mentality Monsters

fecking hell his place :lol::lol:

Infra-red

I don't think Pogba leaving is a sure bet JUST YET
If we have a good season I reckon he signs a new deal. I don't think Madrid will be hot on heels for him anymore since they've signed Camavinga whilst already having Valverde and Kroos who's still top class at 31. I also don't think Maguire/Varane being 29 is an issue either that's AT LEAST 2 world class years of service(could be more) they can provide before we can stress over replacements and by then we'll likely have solved the DM issue with other players improving so a major title will happen. The GK situation is simple whoever improves on last season remains as No1 and whoever misses out leaves for another team with Heaton becoming 2nd choice. Unless both GKs spectacularly flop nothing complex there
The point I suppose I was making is that squads don't stand still. Every year you see posts suggesting that we are but one missing piece (and therefore one transfer window) away from properly competing, which is the same sort of reasoning we used to mock Liverpool fans for.

With Ronaldo in place, I expect we'll focus on improving the midfield and replacing whatever we've lost either through outgoing transfers or just the attrition of time. The fee for Haaland might be a very reasonable-looking release clause, but that deal will be a financial sinkhole of agent commissions and salary.

Cathy Ferguson

Bellingham is a generational talent and might not be much more expensive than Rice, or? Both will likely cost at least 70m.

But Bellingham is not a CDM, right? Could a CM with McTominay and Bellingham work?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bellingham is a generational talent and might not be much more expensive than Rice, or? Both will likely cost at least 70m.

But Bellingham is not a CDM, right? Could a CM with McTominay and Bellingham work?
Bellingham is mostly a No 8 / Box-to-Box midfielder. At the moment in Dortmund Dahoud plays as the CDM behind him.

Bertie Wooster

I'd love Haaland - I've been absolutely desperate for us to sign him since the Salzburg links - but I'm now fully expecting him to join City next summer.

When it looked like they were signing Kane, and we were waiting until the end of the season for when Cavani left, I was quietly confident we could get him. Now that it's likely City will be the ones still most in need of a #9 next summer, while we'll have CR7 for another year or two, then I'm now expecting him to be City's #1 target and that he'll end up there.

With Ronaldo as the first choice, I don't think we'll be going for an expensive #9 for the next couple of years, so hopefully we'll be able to go big on a top quality DCM. I don't have a preference - I just hope we get our first choice option. If that's Rice, then I'll be happy enough with that. If they target someone else as first choice, then I'll trust the improved recruitment of the last couple of years and just be happy if we get our #1 target.

SirScholes

Not sure what people see in rice at all, he’s a slow midfielder with above average passing?
same obsession about Eric dier for awhile and didn’t get that either

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Mbappe wants to ditch PSG with Messi there to be the main man at a faltering Madrid side so yes it's very possible Haaland(who has the same level of ambition as Mbappe) refuses to come here to play behind Ronaldo when he's already a superstar with a ridiculous scoring rate at 21 knowing he can be the main man elsewhere which suits his portfolio far better than being a 2nd choice here. I said it earlier unless Ronaldo flops like Alexis Haaland or any other top ST isn't being signed anytime soon
Who is alexis Haaland?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I can see us being the only ones in for Rice and we get fleeced.

I can’t see us under any circumstances getting Haaland. He’s oil club bound.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If Pogba leaves there's absolutely zero chance we do any further business with Raiola.

If Pogba stays it's likely we go for both. Reckon PSG losing Mbappé would mean absolutely silly money on the table. Kane is more likely actually.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I can see us being the only ones in for Rice and we get fleeced.

I can’t see us under any circumstances getting Haaland. He’s oil club bound.
I'm 100% sure Chelsea will be in for Rice in the summer too. Whoever gets Rice will have to overpay.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm 100% sure Chelsea will be in for Rice in the summer too. Whoever gets Rice will have to overpay.
Happy to let you have him. He'd be fine for you too as your midfield has balance. With Rice we would be clogged with limited players, unless we also sign a playmaker which we won't.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
I think we certainly have a chance with Haaland. Madrid will sign Mbappe, Chelsea have signed Lukaku, and I don't think Barca or Liverpool have anywhere near the funds to get him, nor would any of the Italian sides. It kind of leaves us, City and PSG. I mean, would he really go to PSG when he hasn't even hit his prime? I doubt it. It looks like it could be us or City. However, with City not getting Kane this summer, and us getting Ronaldo, I fancy them to be favourites. This is, of course, my own hypothesis, and any club I ruled out could pull it off.

I'm actually shocked Chelsea didn't fight tooth and nail for him this summer, and ended up paying well over the odds for Lukaku. They looked like they had a free run for him.

I would honestly rather we steer well clear of Rice. It's of course only my own opinion, but I just don't rate him, and he has flop written all over him. I don't think the hype and likely transfer fee, correlate with the talent, whatsoever. I feel if he came here, fans would be on his back in no time. He's honestly nowhere near as good as the crazy hype would have you believe.
People that say this clearly don’t know the true financials involved in securing Haaland.

It’s easy to look at the fee Chelsea paid for Lukaku and think if they paid £40m more then Haaland would be a Chelsea player. But the agent fees etc make it much more.

Make no mistake, signing Haaland will be a 200M dollar deal. Plus Raiola is asking for £700,000 per week. I may be wrong but I truly think Man City is the only team in the EPL that will offer the financial package required to secure him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People that say this clearly don’t know the true financials involved in securing Haaland.

It’s easy to look at the fee Chelsea paid for Lukaku and think if they paid £40m more then Haaland would be a Chelsea player. But the agent fees etc make it much more.

Make no mistake, signing Haaland will be a 200M dollar deal. Plus Raiola is asking for £700,000 per week. I may be wrong but I truly think Man City is the only team in the EPL that will offer the financial package required to secure him.
Where exactly is this "Haaland wants 1 million per week" coming from? I didn't see any good source reporting it except few random articles and somehow it's taken as a fact.

You are spot on about one thing, people don't know the true financials that will be involved in Haaland deal.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bayern have Lewa. Chelsea Lukaku. Real probably Mbappe. Barca can't afford even Troy Deeney.
Psg, City, United and Liverpool will fight for Kane and Haaland. My bet (now) would be Haaland in PSG and Kane to City.
Rice...who knows? Chelsea i guess if they don't buy Saul.

Edit: i forgot that we have Ronaldo. I doubt we will be for Haaland

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Happy to let you have him. He'd be fine for you too as your midfield has balance. With Rice we would be clogged with limited players, unless we also sign a playmaker which we won't.
Its one of them for me, if we signed him i wouldn't be disappointed but at the same time if we missed out on him i wouldn't be that disappointed either.
I 100% think he is Chelsea and United first choice target for the DM position.
You dont think Donny Van De Beek could do well next to Rice for example?.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Its one of them for me, if we signed him i wouldn't be disappointed but at the same time if we missed out on him i wouldn't be that disappointed either.
I 100% think he is Chelsea and United first choice target for the DM position.
You dont think Donny Van De Beek could do well next to Rice for example?.
As of now, VDB isn't good next to anyone. He needs to first show that he's good enough for the club (hopefully he gets some chances soon) then we can think about whether to consider him next a potential DM signing. My understanding of the player is that he's more of a goalscoring CM than someone who will be part of the engine room.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Where exactly is this "Haaland wants 1 million per week" coming from? I didn't see any good source reporting it except few random articles and somehow it's taken as a fact.

You are spot on about one thing, people don't know the true financials that will be involved in Haaland deal.
I guess I suppose the figures don’t seem so far fetched considering Raiola and Haaland being the profile of player he is right now.

Where do you think he ends up?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I guess I suppose the figures don’t seem so far fetched considering Raiola and Haaland being the profile of player he is right now.

Where do you think he ends up?
I have no idea where he ends up, things change very quickly in football. Right now my bet would be on Madrid.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I have no idea where he ends up, things change very quickly in football. Right now my bet would be on Madrid.
I believe his agent will insert a reasonable release clause in his contract wherever he goes. My bet would be on Madrid as well but EPL has the most money nowadays so I won't rule out Man Utd and City.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not going to pretend like I'm someone who has always been in love with the other leagues-

However, alot of the other leagues do show signs of being a whole different level of dead right now.

The managers, the players, the quality, the intensity. Just everything.

The only reason I can imagine a top top player going to La Liga Real Madrid right now is to help Real Madrid and La Liga become better because they know they should be better - aka they enjoy the project of improving Real Madrid and being the main part of it / they have been a player that has always dreamed of playing there.

I can see that with Mbappe, but I don't see that with Haaland - not at the stage of his career. He wants numbers, he wants the attention, he wants to dominate and possibly play in the biggest league with the biggest players.

Lebo

This Reece guy reminds me of Longstaff. Too much hype for a very limited footballer. Anyway Ronaldo gives us 2 years to decide on how much of an upgrade Haaland will be on Greenwood. Pity his contract doesn’t

DutchCruijff

Guardiola is very, very keen on Kane.

They passed up on Messi for him and were hesitant on Ronaldo just because of Kane implications.

City go for Kane next summer. They won't leave him hung out to dry after he tried to force a move to them.

LazyGoal

For Haaland, to play with his hero Ronaldo, would be a big thing.