Richard Arnold cleaning house | Making 'significant changes' to Social Media strategy etc.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Typical of the Board to prioritise the Social Media platform over the team and players. Must sell more shirts to make more profit for the Glazers and hope Ten Haag will work a miracle and get us into the top four next season.
Wait, they prioritized the social media platform over the team and players?

Green_Red

Yea, our social media channels are the real issue here! Forget about the fecking dross we've had to endure this season, I want better twitter posts! The whole club is nonsense.

L1nk

Yea, our social media channels are the real issue here! Forget about the fecking dross we've had to endure this season, I want better twitter posts! The whole club is nonsense.
I get your point but If you read the OP it also mentions another Football Director, changes at Carrington, changing the image of the football club which has become a mess, which includes the club communication. All these changes need to be made if we want success on the pitch. We've seen what happens when we buy expensive players and bring in big managers. The whole club is rotten everything needs changing if we're to be a success, even the communication

Tiber

I'd feel better if we just signed a proven Director of football instead of handing more and more power to an internal ally of Woodward who has never built a team in his life

AdNani

What proof is there for this assertion?
there isn't any, but it's fashionable to say that Ralf is the godfather and murtough doesn't have a clue what he's doing, despite being highly qualified for the job,

this is the only Big Club Ralf has ever been involved in, he was working in Moscow before this, but by the way people talk about him you'd think he was the mastermind behind every successful team in the last 20 years

salfordlad

I guess being 70 this year gives me an excuse to shake my head and think WTF? When I was watching the game on Saturday I didn't think "social media" was an issue that would be of any importance. It doesn't reassure me that Fletcher gives his stamp of approval to the comings and goings on in the club. What a shambles.

AdNani

I'd feel better if we just signed a proven Director of football instead of handing more and more power to an internal ally of Woodward who has never built a team in his life
give me proof he's an internal ally of woodward?

arthurka

Woke up this morning massively disliking my club and after reading this I kind of understand why.
What a mess we are.

phelans shorts

Missed tagging yourself on my reply...

There's a massive difference to experience and successful experience. Neil Warnock was an experienced manager, should he of been a Man United manager? No.

He was head of our football development since 2013, what exactly has developed on the football side under his watch?

Quite surreal sentiments being put to me and when I ask a simple question about him in terms of development at the club, no one wants to answer it.
They are answering them, you just want to ignore it. The youth team has just reached its first final in years, on Murtough’s restructure. The womens team just narrowly missed out on top 3 and the champions league, in their 3rd season of existence, under Murtough’s stewardship (now for sure the facilities incident shows that they may have grown too rapidly even for ourselves to keep track, especially with covid related issues forcing the shutting of the Cliff, and can definitely be held as something of a black mark).

There is literally no evidence pointing to Ralf being involved in the restructure. At all.

phelans shorts

there isn't any, but it's fashionable to say that Ralf is the godfather and murtough doesn't have a clue what he's doing, despite being highly qualified for the job,

this is the only Big Club Ralf has ever been involved in, he was working in Moscow before this, but by the way people talk about him you'd think he was the mastermind behind every successful team in the last 20 years
You need to have an accent to know anything about football, everybody on here knows that.

Oh balls wait Murtough is scouse and has more of an accent than Ralf, I don’t even know any measure Ralf is more qualified than him now.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Can the people dead-set on proving Rangnick has no influence on what happened at this club over the last 5-6 months (outside of managing the football team) give it a rest for a bit for one thread? You are trying to deny a reality and it's just not working for you.

On top of that, if you want to blow smoke under Murtough's backside (I'm still open to seeing him affect real change), please release that the guy rates Rangnick and brought him to the club himself. So trying to paint Rangnick as incompetent doesn't work either way you try to make your feeble arguments.

JPRouve

Scout
Can the people dead-set on proving Rangnick has no influence on what happened at this club over the last 5-6 months (outside of managing the football team) give it a rest for a bit for one thread? You are trying to deny a reality and it's just not working for you.

On top of that, if you want to blow smoke under Murtough's backside (I'm still open to seeing him affect real change), please release that the guy rates Rangnick and brought him to the club himself. So trying to paint Rangnick as incompetent doesn't work either way you try to make your feeble arguments.
I'm pretty sure that we mainly have people claiming that Murtough is incompetent. Rangnick suggested that he hasn't begun his consultancy job and has been focused on the first team, so what reality are you talking about? Also if everything goes to plan Rangnick will have an influence in the near future, hopefully.

city-puma

DOF is the priority. They must get it right this time and assemble a functioning structure including recruiting team.

LoneStar

It’s good if this is true, but I’m still skeptical. We’ve been fed this cool-aid of ‘restructure‘ and ‘reset’ so many times now that it’s hard to take it without a grain of salt. Only time will tell whether we have fundamentally changed things.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
there isn't any, but it's fashionable to say that Ralf is the godfather and murtough doesn't have a clue what he's doing, despite being highly qualified for the job
The real dynamics is the Murtaugh and Riggs one. Murtough, who’s not too old for this shit meets Ralf, whose tenure has devolved into chaos because he misses the most precious thing in (a head coach’s) life: assistants. In Murtough, Ralf can find a dependable shoulder to cry on when he feels powerless due to the lack of authority he has, and the problematic immunity some players have. In Ralf, Murtough sees a man with brash, questionable methods, a lost cause that can be rehabilitated through life’s most precious thing: a new family. In Austria. How will their story end? With a defeat probably. But they’ll always have... dunno, consultancy job?

phelans shorts

Who’s painted Ralf as incompetent (as a director or whatever that is, he definitely is as a manager but that’s a whole different thing) the fact is people are making out the person overseeing these changes that we all want to see is incompetent, rather than giving it a chance. It’s a proper buzzkill going into a period where we’ve actually reason to be optimistic for once.

JPRouve

Scout
Our commercial growth has slowed and Liverpool are catching up. Turns out being successful does matter.
The commercial growth always slowdown compared to others when you are in the middle of long term contracts. Now success does matter because it brings visibility and that's what you are selling to sponsors but a comparison to other clubs that are on different timeline is bound to not give you a true picture.

AdNani

You need to have an accent to know anything about football, everybody on here knows that.

Oh balls wait Murtough is scouse and has more of an accent than Ralf, I don’t even know any measure Ralf is more qualified than him now.
:lol:
DOF is the priority. They must get it right this time and assemble a functioning structure including recruiting team.
we have a director of football...

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The commercial growth always slowdown compared to others when you are in the middle of long term contracts. Now success does matter because it brings visibility and that's what you are selling to sponsors but a comparison to other clubs that are on different timeline is bound to not give you a true picture.
I think we’d have a lot more potential for further commercial growth as a club if we were winning and the fans weren’t protesting against the owners. Image matters and ours is not currently a good one.

JPRouve

Scout
I think we’d have a lot more potential for further commercial growth as a club if we were winning and the fans weren’t protesting against the owners. Image matters and ours is not currently a good one.
In theory if these things were year to year I would agree but it's not the case. You are talking about mid to long term contracts and in the case of United you are also talking about one of the most expensive sponsorship. So while we are still growing commericial and signing among the highest deals such as the 20m crypto deal, it's important to keep in mind that United are around the top in that department and that clubs that are far from us have more chances to have large growth compared to us and it's also not something that we can change from one year to the other.

When it comes success, the main thing is that it generates revenue through prize money and broadcasting(UEFA competitions) which is extremely lucrative. In that context I totally agree with your opinion that success matters financially but I wouldn't use Liverpool or a short window to make that point in the context of commercial deals.

Abraxas

I have to say, social media is the last of my worries! But I do hear some people have been frustrated by the constant party lines and overly commercial, plastic tweets they've gone for over the last few years.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
In theory if these things were year to year I would agree but it's not the case. You are talking about mid to long term contracts and in the case of United you are also talking about one of the most expensive sponsorship. So while we are still growing commericial and signing among the highest deals such as the 20m crypto deal, it's important to keep in mind that United are around the top in that department and that clubs that are far from us have more chances to have large growth compared to us and it's also not something that we can change from one year to the other.

When it comes success, the main thing is that it generates revenue through prize money and broadcasting(UEFA competitions) which is extremely lucrative. In that context I totally agree with your opinion that success matters financially but I wouldn't use Liverpool or a short window to make that point in the context of commercial deals.
I agree it isn’t a yearly thing but it’s been a decade of colossal mismanagement on the pitch and I do think that is starting to impact commercially. I genuinely think we’re approaching a nadir where top players will go elsewhere as will the top sponsors and our name is no longer enough. Our shirt deal was less than our previous one at 62m a year - the rumours are Liverpool’s next one will be 80m. Our commercial growth isn’t just slowing - it’s in decline. The cynic in me thinks maybe that’s why there’s such an overhaul currently at the club - they’ve now realised the football and image around the club does actually have an impact.

Withnail

You missed the second tweet in the original post.
When he says football director I don't think he means DOF. He would have said DOF if that was what was meant and we've only put one of those in. I'd read that as another director on the footballing side.

Tweets and especially ones which carry over into multiple tweets are a terrible form of communication with everyone doing their own thing with abbreviations and short hand.

JPRouve

Scout
You missed the second tweet in the original post.
I didn't, it's about adding someone(s) after the departure of Judge. Currently Murtough is in charge of everything with the only help of Fletcher.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Some about of hot air spouted by numerous members... simply put to all of you..

Murtagh was in charge of Football development at Man United the last 9 years approximately... what exactly has developed at United on the football side since 2013 other than an absolute shambolic disaster with one comical decision after another?

There's a big, big difference between experience and winning / successful experience. Neil Warnock was an experienced manager, was he successful? You get the idea.

When Murtagh stepped into this new role as DoF he was lauded over his supposed "development" of Rashford, McTominay and Greenwood... give me a break. Mediocre players with egos and lazy attitudes who will amount to little in reality. That kind of thing got him the job as DoF.
Murtough has been DOF since 2021 & has taken FULL CONTROL of all footballing matters for a matter of mere months. Literally only since Richard Arnold had been in charge and handed all footballing matters to Murtough have all these wholesale changes occurred.

There’s your proof you so desperately desire.

We have a DOF his name is John Murtough. We’re hiring a deputy, to help ol’ Johnny boy. He can’t do it all himself, it’s a huge job.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wait. Do we still have some people playing mental gymnastics trying to say there’s no meaningful change happening at the club? :lol: :lol: :lol:

0le

I hope they start posting the match day squad based on positions rather than shirt number. One can dream...

JPRouve

Scout
I agree it isn’t a yearly thing but it’s been a decade of colossal mismanagement on the pitch and I do think that is starting to impact commercially. I genuinely think we’re approaching a nadir where top players will go elsewhere as will the top sponsors and our name is no longer enough. Our shirt deal was less than our previous one at 62m a year - the rumours are Liverpool’s next one will be 80m. Our commercial growth isn’t just slowing - it’s in decline. The cynic in me thinks maybe that’s why there’s such an overhaul currently at the club - they’ve now realised the football and image around the club does actually have an impact.
Our shirt deal isn't the same as the previous one, this a shirt only deal the previous one was a shirt and official cars deal. And Liverpool getting an 80m deal wouldn't be based on success, it would be by far the largest deal around and they haven't been the most successful club, they have even been the most successful club in the UK.

bazza3727

Some about of hot air spouted by numerous members... simply put to all of you..

Murtagh was in charge of Football development at Man United the last 9 years approximately... what exactly has developed at United on the football side since 2013 other than an absolute shambolic disaster with one comical decision after another?

There's a big, big difference between experience and winning / successful experience. Neil Warnock was an experienced manager, was he successful? You get the idea.

When Murtagh stepped into this new role as DoF he was lauded over his supposed "development" of Rashford, McTominay and Greenwood... give me a break. Mediocre players with egos and lazy attitudes who will amount to little in reality. That kind of thing got him the job as DoF.
Just for context - Neil Warnock won eight promotions with pretty much run of the mill sides during his career, beside other achievements. Just because he rubbed people up the wrong way doesn't mean he wasn't successful. Do a bit of research before following the herd and denigrating people!

city-puma

So, you guys basically don’t think the possibility that this is about taking people accountable for the appointment of Ralf as interim manager?