Television Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes Speech

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The only good gag he had was the one about Leo DiCaprio. The rest was a bit lame to be honest.

LARulz

Thought it was great but what annoys me is nothing will change. Those tossed up pricks in the crowd will never change (I guess they don't need to). A lot of them probably have that sense of "Yeah whatever, I'm still taking home millions a month"

As for Corden. First time I ever saw him was when he did Big Brother's Big Mouth with Matt Horne (who is an utter bellend from personal experience). I actually really found Corden hilarious on that and generally ever since - never watched Gavin and Stacey etc. So it was usually sketches, panel shows and so on which I thought he was good in. I do actually like him on A League Of Their Own (especially earlier) where he felt like he was having fun.

But in recent years he has become an obvious bellend. His break in the States shot his ego through the roof (I guess understandably) but his rudeness probably went up too. His chat show is a crap version of Graham Norton's and his lick arsery skills surpass Jonathan Ross' when he used to get A List stars. It bugs me that people I really like such as Colbert and co seem to love him because he obviously knows how to play the game and sucks up to them.

Though.... I did support him on his fight with Bill Maher about fat people. As someone who has an eating disorder - feck Bill Maher

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Turning into Carr and Boyle more and more and seems to have disappeared up his own ass hole. Office was gold, and liked most of the extras but meh, far from the the best of the British comics.

Did no one ese find the fact that he happily turned up to the GGs when he was nominated and took the 2 awards he won happily then criticizes the whole thing. I'm not a huge fan of these mostly egotistical award shows but Gervais is a total hypocrite, and has a very slapable face.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yeah, it's affectation, rather like the time Ricky Tomlinson turned up at an awards show with cans of beer in a carrier bag; it's still pretentiousness, Ricky...we're not fooled.

Fingeredmouse

Turning into Carr and Boyle more and more and seems to have disappeared up his own ass hole. Office was gold, and liked most of the extras but meh, far from the the best of the British comics.

Did no one ese find the fact that he happily turned up to the GGs when he was nominated and took the 2 awards he won happily then criticizes the whole thing. I'm not a huge fan of these mostly egotistical award shows but Gervais is a total hypocrite, and has a very slapable face.
I'm not seeing the Boyle and Carr comparison at all. Boyle is basically a political commentator now (and far better for it I'd say) and that is very much not Carr's schtick.

NinjaFletch

Ricky isn't a TERF, neither are the majority of Women accused of TERM'ism.

It's a term that a UK judge has deemed derogatory in itself.

Once you start name calling you've already lost. The Caf really isn't the place to discuss trans-politics.
Ok boomer.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not seeing the Boyle and Carr comparison at all. Boyle is basically a political commentator now (and far better for it I'd say) and that is very much not Carr's schtick.
I wasn't talking about the material they use, more in how its delivered, more shock and trying to the "push the boundaries".

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
They did what they did and can rightly be ridiculed for it.
Absolutely, they are fair game.

Pesci was just a dig at his appearance, which is mean.
I agree, this was (or certainly felt) unecessary but you could say the same about his gag about Scorsese and theme parks and that was really funny! Even Di Niro laughed at that one.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They did what they did and can rightly be ridiculed for it. Pesci was just a dig at his appearance, which is mean.
Lighten up. It's just a bit of comedy from a man who constantly ridicules his own appearance.

Member 39557

Lighten up. It's just a bit of comedy from a man who constantly ridicules his own appearance.
It wasn't my issue, just replying to somebody else who asked why it was mean yet several other jokes weren't.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why so much fuzz? He always goes balls deep doesn't matter if he's on a stand up show or hosting golden globes.

And he's constantly roasting himself on his own tv series, for crying out loud.

Amarsdd

His monologue was good except the last bit of rant which was a bit cringy given he is one of them these days. But unfortunately, like most things like this, it is being co-opted by the right-wing/alt-right media. After seeing the monologue on youtube, everytime I see at least 2-3 of those media suggestions using Gervais's last bit.

Eriku

What other topics do you feel should be off limits to us?
Are you kidding? If not then the answer is that I was. I just added a bit of meta to the thing I was responding to, never thought it would be taken seriously :lol:

ravi2

Are you kidding? If not then the answer is that I was. I just added a bit of meta to the thing I was responding to, never thought it would be taken seriously :lol:
Sorry man, watching us getting comprehensively beaten by City has taken my sense of humour away today

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Love Ricky and really enjoyed this. And James Corden is a talentless humourless arrogant gormless unpleasant sack of guts who should be put onto a shuttle and fired into the sun.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He's basically bypassed becoming Brent and turned into Finchy instead.

Sweet Square

I take it you're saying Gervais was "pleasing the court"?
Pretty much.

---- Incoming long rant on shite satire -------

Gervais seemed to have fallen down the same hole as every other satirist has over the last 20 odd years(Barring a few exceptions - Chris Morris, Chapo Trap House, Vic Burger)of simply pointing out the hypocrisy of liberal and conservative institutions, while offering no alternative. Anyone today can point out the hypocrisy of Apple's sweatshops, its so easy that it can be said on mainstream television(It's also plays into the strength of capitalist ideology. Sniff sniff and so on and so on, sniff sniff), so whats the underpinning of Gervais criticism ?

Compare Gervais rant to the comments(And work) of Bong Joon-ho

Once you overcome the 1-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films
This film is about the rich and poor and essentially about capitalism, and the U.S. is the heart of capitalism
Who's answer is more productive and who's answer shows an underlining world view ?

Gervais has nothing but placating the court. But ok not everyone can reach the levels of Chaplin or Morris but satire doesn't need to be a detailed vision of the world, the underpinning Morris talks about could simply be pure anger and hatred. How much of todays satirists pass the Alexander Cockburn test - Is your hatred pure ? For people like Bill Hicks or Hunter S Thomas their hatred was, Thomas went on to talk shows and put forward his belief that the political careers of Bill Clinton should end in the same way as Mussolini, Hicks really did think the answer to marketing was mass suicide. Thomas wouldn't have spent 3 hours moaning about the length of an awards show, he would have tasered Tom Hanks and left the building within the first hour. Now we could argue if this is in anyway useful but at the very least we know Gervais doesn't hate the people he was roasting on Sunday, he doesn't really hate the Apple Ceo. He just doesn't care if he offends him which is something completely different and less effective(Although most satire is pointless tbf).

I should say again I thought Gervais monologue was funny, which is more than you can say for other forms of comedy(The Daily Show, SNL or whatever Charlie Brooker is doing these days)but as Morris said we really should be expecting something with a bit more clout.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Sweet Square

I think you're setting a fairly high bar. Don't you think there has to be something between placating and burning with hatred? Does all criticism have to offer some vision of an alternative? Gervais' didn't deliver a masterpiece nor is he a moral authority, but that doesn't necessarily make what he did meaningless or worse. For me personally I would even say that it's often easier to accept arguments/criticism if they aren't soaked with someone else's ideology.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Trans-exclusionairy radical feminist.

No, I don't really know what that means. Though I'd venture a guess it's something like:

Women: yay!
Women who were born a man: boo!
Reading arguments between TERFs and SJWs is like watching a footy game between two clubs I passionately hate.

I don’t care who wins, I just want them to destroy each other. ;)

I think both ideologies are quite toxic, for different reasons.

Drifter

American
Good on you Gervais .Hollywood needed that middle finger for awhile now.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Pretty much.

---- Incoming long rant on shite satire -------

Gervais seemed to have fallen down the same hole as every other satirist has over the last 20 odd years(Barring a few exceptions - Chris Morris, Chapo Trap House, Vic Burger)of simply pointing out the hypocrisy of liberal and conservative institutions, while offering no alternative. Anyone today can point out the hypocrisy of Apple's sweatshops, its so easy that it can be said on mainstream television(It's also plays into the strength of capitalist ideology. Sniff sniff and so on and so on, sniff sniff), so whats the underpinning of Gervais criticism ?

Compare Gervais rant to the comments(And work) of Bong Joon-ho

Who's answer is more productive and who's answer shows an underlining world view ?

Gervais has nothing but placating the court. But ok not everyone can reach the levels of Chaplin or Morris but satire doesn't need to be a detailed vision of the world, the underpinning Morris talks about could simply be pure anger and hatred. How much of todays satirists pass the Alexander Cockburn test - Is your hatred pure ? For people like Bill Hicks or Hunter S Thomas their hatred was, Thomas went on to talk shows and put forward his belief that the political careers of Bill Clinton should end in the same way as Mussolini, Hicks really did think the answer to marketing was mass suicide. Thomas wouldn't have spent 3 hours moaning about the length of an awards show, he would have tasered Tom Hanks and left the building within the first hour. Now we could argue if this is in anyway useful but at the very least we know Gervais doesn't hate the people he was roasting on Sunday, he doesn't really hate the Apple Ceo. He just doesn't care if he offends him which is something completely different and less effective(Although most satire is pointless tbf).

I should say again I thought Gervais monologue was funny, which is more than you can say for other forms of comedy(The Daily Show, SNL or whatever Charlie Brooker is doing these days)but as Morris said we really should be expecting something with a bit more clout.
Thompson, Thompson, Thompson!

(sorry)