Television Ricky Gervais- SuperNature

acnumber9

They’re blatantly lying though. They went from collaborating on everything to the point where they don’t even follow each other on Twitter. Ricky Gervais has basically tried to remove Merchant from any credit for The Office. If you follow his Twitter you’d think Derek and After Life were the only shows he’s made.

phelans shorts

But that argument decimates the notion of same sex attraction no?

Doesn't that mean the idea of being gay or lesbian is dead, further more does sexual preference exist or is denial of a gay/lesbian/hetro to engage in a relationship with a trans person make them transphobic?
How does it decimate the notion of same sex attraction? If a woman is attracted to a trans woman then she is attracted to a woman, so same sex attraction is inherently there.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
He really has. Same schtick, same targets, zero evolution as a comedian. Still joking about fat people, evolution/God, identity politics, how great his life is.

He seems to spend half of his gigs justifying his opinions and the other half laughing more than the audience. Compared to someone like Stewart Lee, who's a master of the craft, he still seems very much like a stand-up daytripper who's never really had to earn his audience.
Stewart Lee has said about five funny things in his life when he's not writing dirge polemics of other comics. Thoroughly overrated and a twat. Chris Morris is so many leagues beyond him

Don't Kill Bill

RG is so last year. He is declining so fast, more and more people are watching his work and the idiot can't even see it.

What does he think he is doing telling jokes and making millions the sellout.

He should have moved on to attacking the people we now hate and the ideas we have moved on from not the new ideas which we currently believe in which are absolute gems.

Anyone would think that not all new ideas are great and questioning them and taking the piss out of them is how you test them in an open society.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I enjoyed it. Made me laugh. I can see why some people are upset though. But everyone is different and will see things differently. A minor gripe was that I felt some of his material has already been covered in his other stand ups. Maybe he’s running low on material. I especially liked the true stories at the end. The notion that he and his family and friends didn’t really hug each other, instead they took the piss, that was their hug. I can relate to that.

stepic

What is the scariest thing about a white person in prison?

You know he did it.
That’s basically an anti-racist joke

The butt of the joke is people in power, the police, the justice system, not black people.

Gervais isn’t doing any of that.

Bosws87

That’s basically an anti-racist joke

The butt of the joke is people in power, the police, the justice system, not black people.

Gervais isn’t doing any of that.
Nothing to do with Gervais.

Was asked, delivered its not that deep, i'm not going to sit and argue with the permanently offended as it never gets anywhere and just ends up in a massive derailment of the thread,

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There was stuff in there that reminded me of his glory days. But his delivery really sucked which is weird for an experienced comedian.
Does he tour or just do these specials? Cause if your only performance is like once every couple years it's gonna be pretty off.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Does he tour or just do these specials? Cause if your only performance is like once every couple years it's gonna be pretty off.
He's been touring SuperNature in some form since 2018, I know as I went to see one of his warm-up shows at the Leicester Square theatre.

Probably why much of the humour already feels dated.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's been touring SuperNature in some form since 2018, I know as I went to see one of his warm-up shows at the Leicester Square theatre.

Probably why much of the humour already feels dated.
Cheers.

Yeah, I did hear that Netflix had been sitting on this for a while.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
11 o'clock show was his level: naturally funny personality without much talent for jokes or the creativity to turn it into a craft.

The xfm and podcast stuff is very funny and his class clown on high act, making the sidekicks the butt of the jokes has been very influential in the medium.

The office is an excellent comedy, well produced with good characters. Watching it back though you can occassionally see some awkward mawkishness - that would later become the Gervais trademark - creeping in. The comedy does a lot of work holding up some pretty low grade dramatic clichés at times. It's still often brilliant and I don't think you can simply attribute all the best stuff to Merchant, even if subsequently the evidence suggests that he has a far subtler pen and superior gifts as an artist. His Brent performance was the main thing that elevated the show, it was lightning in a bottle stuff. Everything else became progressively worse.

The stand-up was always of the mediocre club comic standard, and he seems to lack the awareness (possibly blinded by the money and success) to work on his deficiencies. The attempts at lofty themes were only ever superficially referenced, serving more as pretentious placeholders than explored premises. He saw himself as a Stewart Lee or Richard Herring: artistically ambitious, thematically complex comics that produce carefully constructed routines, but he never developed the craftsmanship skills to produce a show in the way that they do. You can find Gervais funnier than Herring and prefer his shows but you could never say that they are doing the same type of work.

The transphobic stuff is par for the course. The disabled, fat people, foreign cultures or anyone disadvantaged were always punchlines for Gervais. Even when he was being ironic you could tell he sometimes wasn't. But being a cnut isn't why he lacks credibility as an artist and writer and why so many in the industry see him as an imposter who hit the lotto. He is routinely dismissed because he doesn't belong and never has. It's not just that cadre of sensitive lefty brit comics that mock him as talentless and hacky either. Listen to any of the multitude of comedy podcasts over in the US, from across the comedic political spectrum, and you can hear frequent, off hand dismissive remarks about his work. Most - outside of his rich celebrity mates - seem to hold him with a degree of contempt.

He did well for himself, particularly given his lack of talent. Not quite stolen a living but theres a level of fraud at work. He is popular for the same reason that ladbible survives. Taste and quality rarely align.

As Armando Iannucci said at the 2005 comedy awards "You peaked with the wheelchair stuff Ricky".

Tarrou

the best thing he ever did was that Extras episode with Vinny Jones and Grant Mitchell

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Extras and The Office were amazing. His first 2 stand ups were great too. Everything since has been a rehash or just crap. Acaster absolutely nailed it in that clip on the first page.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
11 o'clock show was his level: naturally funny personality without much talent for jokes or the creativity to turn it into a craft.

The xfm and podcast stuff is very funny and his class clown on high act, making the sidekicks the butt of the jokes has been very influential in the medium.

The office is an excellent comedy, well produced with good characters. Watching it back though you can occassionally see some awkward mawkishness - that would later become the Gervais trademark - creeping in. The comedy does a lot of work holding up some pretty low grade dramatic clichés at times. It's still often brilliant and I don't think you can simply attribute all the best stuff to Merchant, even if subsequently the evidence suggests that he has a far subtler pen and superior gifts as an artist. His Brent performance was the main thing that elevated the show, it was lightning in a bottle stuff. Everything else became progressively worse.

The stand-up was always of the mediocre club comic standard, and he seems to lack the awareness (possibly blinded by the money and success) to work on his deficiencies. The attempts at lofty themes were only ever superficially referenced, serving more as pretentious placeholders than explored premises. He saw himself as a Stewart Lee or Richard Herring: artistically ambitious, thematically complex comics that produce carefully constructed routines, but he never developed the craftsmanship skills to produce a show in the way that they do. You can find Gervais funnier than Herring and prefer his shows but you could never say that they are doing the same type of work.

The transphobic stuff is par for the course. The disabled, fat people, foreign cultures or anyone disadvantaged were always punchlines for Gervais. Even when he was being ironic you could tell he sometimes wasn't. But being a cnut isn't why he lacks credibility as an artist and writer and why so many in the industry see him as an imposter who hit the lotto. He is routinely dismissed because he doesn't belong and never has. It's not just that cadre of sensitive lefty brit comics that mock him as talentless and hacky either. Listen to any of the multitude of comedy podcasts over in the US, from across the comedic political spectrum, and you can hear frequent, off hand dismissive remarks about his work. Most - outside of his rich celebrity mates - seem to hold him with a degree of contempt.

He did well for himself, particularly given his lack of talent. Not quite stolen a living but theres a level of fraud at work. He is popular for the same reason that ladbible survives. Taste and quality rarely align.

As Armando Iannucci said at the 2005 comedy awards "You peaked with the wheelchair stuff Ricky".
That’s an excellent summary. Should be his obituary.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
the best thing he ever did was that Extras episode with Vinny Jones and Grant Mitchell
Extras in general seems a little under appreciated in his body of work, but that episode is excellent. Ross Kemp has surprisingly good comedy delivery.

The ones with Barry from east Eastenders were brilliant too.
Yes. This scene is a particular highlight

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Extras in general seems a little under appreciated in his body of work, but that episode is excellent. Ross Kemp has surprisingly good comedy delivery.

Yes. This scene is a particular highlight
The scene with the muffin always gets me :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ha! That's very good too. I watched all three seasons of Afterlife and I'm not sure why. The more I think about them the more Limmy's on the money. They're absolutely fecking shite. Their only saving grace is the cast, who are all individually very watchable. Which keeps you coming back for more. But my God, the general quality of the show overall is dire. So many jokes falling flat and that weird combination of unnecessary vulgarity and relentless over the top mawkishness. Plus the whole Ricky as indisputed alpha male stuff. Dunno how I stuck with it for so long.

SuperiorXI

I enjoyed Super Nature, a few jokes had me choking. I'm not really arsed that it's nothing new, it's still funny.

The bit about the fat cnut getting craned out of bed :lol:

BeltUp

Supports
United
The trans jokes were just lazy and unimaginative tropes that you find on Twitter and YouTube comments but that follows on from most of his stand-up material. He's not particularly good at crafting jokes in complex ways like George Carlin, Chapelle or Stewart Lee. He goes for shock value far too often and it gets tedious.

Now I'd really like to hear Stewart Lee do a routine about Gervais.

Andersonson

I loved office and after life, both brilliant.

I just cant be arsed that some dislikes his jokes, be it about trans, gay or whites. Who cares. Everything can be joked about.

Spark

Gervais is a boring stand up. His first tour was alright I suppose, some funny moments. But he's a bit of a one trick pony, i.e. literally any one of his routines - including the Golden Globes - is centred around offence. Even his shows are based around the ability to mock. It's kind of funny, but fecking hell so boring now.

Acaster is basically just copying Stewart Lee, but in a terrible way.

To be fair, I also think 99% of stand up is actually shit and Gervais isn't the worst.

Spark

The trans jokes were just lazy and unimaginative tropes that you find on Twitter and YouTube comments but that follows on from most of his stand-up material. He's not particularly good at crafting jokes in complex ways like George Carlin, Chapelle or Stewart Lee. He goes for shock value far too often and it gets tedious.

Now I'd really like to hear Stewart Lee do a routine about Gervais.
Lee rinsed Gervais in his latest show, how he loves saying unsayable things. Obviously need to watch it once it's released (my description is shit), but was class.

Similar to this article he wrote a while ago: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...is-and-jeremy-clarkson-are-no-laughing-matter

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Gervais is a boring stand up. His first tour was alright I suppose, some funny moments. But he's a bit of a one trick pony, i.e. literally any one of his routines - including the Golden Globes - is centred around offence. Even his shows are based around the ability to mock. It's kind of funny, but fecking hell so boring now.

Acaster is basically just copying Stewart Lee, but in a terrible way.

To be fair, I also think 99% of stand up is actually shit and Gervais isn't the worst.
Actually, you’re not wrong. Bill Burr’s Netflix special was very good but can’t remember watching any other sort of standup on telly and being impressed. Although, obviously, it’s a lot better when you’re in the room.

Bosws87

Actually, you’re not wrong. Bill Burr’s Netflix special was very good but can’t remember watching any other sort of standup on telly and being impressed. Although, obviously, it’s a lot better when you’re in the room.
Tim Dillon for me, went to see him recently in London but other then that the majority are not so great.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Tim Dillon for me, went to see him recently in London but other then that the majority are not so great.
I think the bar is much lower at live shows. In a room full of people pissing themselves laughing even mediocre stand-up seem decent (not aimed at Tim Dillon, I’ve never heard of him, will check him out)

James Acaster was my biggest recent disappointment. I love his food podcast and he seems like a genuinely deeply funny guy. His Netflix special was painfully unfunny (to me anyway).

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think the bar is much lower at live shows. In a room full of people pissing themselves laughing even mediocre stand-up seem decent (not aimed at Tim Dillon, I’ve never heard of him, will check him out)

James Acaster was my biggest recent disappointment. I love his food podcast and he seems like a genuinely deeply funny guy. His Netflix special was painfully unfunny (to me anyway).
I'm not really a fan, I find him more annoying than anything. Although his bit on Ricky posted above I thought was decent.

Bosws87

For sure, especially when your more then likely intoxicated.

hobbers

The bit he does towards the end of SuperNature about Ling Ling the Chinaman is lifted straight from an XFM show 20 years ago.