Ricky Sbragia sacked

AdNani

Was a weird appointment in the first place, was awful in the Scotland set up.

Mainoldo

Just give it someone brand new with pedigree of coaching good football. That’s all we require.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Seen some Warren Joyce suggestions. While it's true he's available and all that, the football Melbourne City played during his two seasons in charge was Louis van Gaal like. Lots of possession but football played at a snails pace.

Gordon S

Right decision. Don't know if Mckenna is interested but it wouldn't be the worst idea to have him coach the reserve team.

POF

Long overdue. Allowing the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Garner, Chong, O'Connor, Williams, Levitt, etc to be coached by Sbragia is bordering on negligence. They need to be flying at u23 level so they're on top form when they get a chance at senior level.

Another McKenna would be a great move but I'd be happy with Scholes. He obviously has an interest in coaching and players like Gomes, Garner and Levitt could learn a lot from him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Long overdue. Allowing the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Garner, Chong, O'Connor, Williams, Levitt, etc to be coached by Sbragia is bordering on negligence. They need to be flying at u23 level so they're on top form when they get a chance at senior level.

Another McKenna would be a great move but I'd be happy with Scholes. He obviously has an interest in coaching and players like Gomes, Garner and Levitt could learn a lot from him.
Scholes should be nowhere near our youngsters. Being able to hit a tree from 60 yards and being able to transfer technical knowledge and inspire young players are two very different things.

In fact, I don’t even want Scholes anywhere near our setup.

KevinJoh

Finally.

On the other hand what "oversee a structural review" means, when Butt is in a charge for a few years with this job in mind. Now again?

Sbragia was his decision (or at least he was in charge and should be his decision).

Needham

Least he can go back to his original career as a cruise ship nightclub singer.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Right decision. Don't know if Mckenna is interested but it wouldn't be the worst idea to have him coach the reserve team.
I can only see that happening if we get a new manager who doesn't want McKenna part of the first team set-up. Even then, he might decide to move on to become a first team coach elsewhere rather than going back to being a youth coach.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thanks. Is he coaching some of the younger lads now or has he been coaching else where?
He's been coaching at academy level since 2014. He also completed his coaching badges in the same year. He also spent a few years at Aston Villa coaching the academy prior to joining us in 2014.

SoCross

Precisely. But I think he sees himself as a 'manager' despite having struggled at every managerial opportunity he has had.
He would be good to have back but precisely this why I don't think he'll rejoin. Think he's still miffed at the way Moyes/the club treated him. He was more involved with the first team anyway.

Remember back in the day he was supposed to be doing wonders influencing the direction of the academy but then again, not sure if we ever saw the results of his 'technique' focused approach. More knowledgeable posters than myself can comment.

Is Joyce more responsible for this current generation of Gomes, Greenwood, Garner et al?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Is Joyce more responsible for this current generation of Gomes, Greenwood, Garner et al?
Are you asking has he been responsible for producing them or if he'd be more responsible in the upcoming season if appointed? Because if it is about producing them then neither Joyce or Rene have any relevance to Angel, Greenwood, or Garner.

SoCross

Are you asking has he been responsible for producing them or if he'd be more responsible in the upcoming season if appointed? Because if it is about producing them then neither Joyce or Rene have any relevance to Angel, Greenwood, or Garner.
The former question mate. Thanks. Who was heading their development process if you don’t mind me asking ? I know for a fact that Rene had nothing to do with them but thought Joyce would have. Interesting.

limerickcitykid

The former question mate. Thanks. Who was heading their development process if you don’t mind me asking ? I know for a fact that Rene had nothing to do with them but thought Joyce would have. Interesting.
Joyce left the club when they were 15-16 years old. Joyce was also the u21/23s coach not the head of the academy so he'd have very little if any formal interaction with them even. The main figures in their development would be the likes of Kieran McKenna, Neil Ryan, Nicky Butt, Tony Whelan, along with the lower age group coaches and others like Colin Little. And unfortunately for the past 1-2 years a fool called Sbragia.

JK-27

Our youth teams have been on decline for a while. How much of that is management and how much is bad recruitment/standards expected of players is debatable (but personally our standards in recruitment for the first team have been poor so I would say those standards have fed down to our youth teams too).

Beaucoup

Our youth teams have been on decline for a while. How much of that is management and how much is bad recruitment/standards expected of players is debatable (but personally our standards in recruitment for the first team have been poor so I would say those standards have fed down to our youth teams too).
The quality of the coaching on the whole is poor, the games program is poor, the quality and number of tournaments abroad is poor, there are too many kids in each group, I could go on and on, but you get the message.

KevinJoh

So, new preseason starting, and we don't have anyone in charge of U23, and even don't have players for this age group. Probably we will promote bunch of U18, but to be honest, I am not optimistic regarding our U23 team

limerickcitykid

So, new preseason starting, and we don't have anyone in charge of U23, and even don't have players for this age group. Probably we will promote bunch of U18, but to be honest, I am not optimistic regarding our U23 team
We have 27 players for that age group, how do we not have players? Obviously some will be going on loan or spending more time with the first team but there is a large group of players there. Yes, we're promoting the u18s because they are now too old. That is how age group football works.

I'd rather have no one in charge than Sbragia tbh. The only bad thing is the last time this happened it took us a year to find a manager, who was Sbragia. So not actually optimistic of them making a good choice.

KevinJoh

Not sure which ones you are counting in 27.
https://www.manutd.com/en/players-and-staff/reserves

We have 5 goalkeepers listed, two of them Henderson and O'Harra will be loaned for sure.

I don't count on Gomes, Chong, Greenwood and Garner. Maybe Garner will still play for U23, but I doubt that Chong and Gomes will stay if U23 football on the menu, with year left of the contract. And certainly won't benefit from that. Maybe game or two, now and than, but certainly not in U23 squad.

Hamilton, Mitchell and BJ also loaned or sold for sure. All of them have already been on the loan and no way they will continue now in U23. Not good for them or us.

Laird, Williams, Bernard, Mengi, Burkart, Barlow, Levitt, Galbraith, Traore, Puigmal, McGhee, Ramazani, Mellor...all of them are 19 or so. Of course they should be promoted, and some of them already are. No problem with that of course, just doesn't look good that they don't already have someone in charge for that group.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

We have 5 goalkeepers listed, two of them Henderson and O'Harra will be loaned for sure.

I don't count on Gomes, Chong, Greenwood and Garner. Maybe Garner will still play for U23, but I doubt that Chong and Gomes will stay if U23 football on the menu, with year left of the contract. And certainly won't benefit from that. Maybe game or two, now and than, but certainly not in U23 squad.

Hamilton, Mitchell and BJ also loaned or sold for sure. All of them have already been on the loan and no way they will continue now in U23. Not good for them or us.

Laird, Williams, Bernard, Mengi, Burkart, Barlow, Levitt, Galbraith, Traore, Puigmal, McGhee, Ramazani, Mellor...all of them are 19 or so. Of course they should be promoted, and some of them already are. No problem with that of course, just doesn't look good that they don't already have someone in charge for that group.
Why wouldn’t you count Gomes and Chong? They’ve both been starters in that team for over a year, there’s very little chance either are loaned, they’ll stay in the U23. I don’t get how you think they wouldn’t benefit from playing football, sure it’s not PL level but at the very least it’ll keep them match sharp in case we need to call them up to the first team. As long as we get a good manager in the team will be fine, there are some very good talents in there. Also you seem to have missed out Lee O’Connor.

It’s a young side for sure but you don’t really want 21/22 year old cloggers taking up game tome from the kids who actually have a chance of making it, hence why we started that mass clear out in January

limerickcitykid

Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, and Garner will all still be playing with the u23s so I don't know why you're not counting them. None of them are going anywhere and they aren't going to be first team regulars so they'll be playing u23s occasionally. Of course they will benefit from it, they don't suddenly no longer need match fitness. There is no point playing 1 game for the senior team ever 5-6 weeks and doing nothing in between. Mason has barely played u23s football and has struggled with the far more defensive opposition in it. He'll still have plenty to gain there.

Poole returned from a loan and went back to the u23s. There is no guarantees. TFM is currently out with a lengthy injury. Once recovered he will likely play in the u23s to gain fitness.

19 or so. The average age in the u23s. So I'm not sure what you're expecting. No one in charge as in a manager? Well yes that is bad but it is completely irrelevant to you claiming we don't have any players.

Keepers:
Alex Fojtíček
Kovar
Woolston

Defenders:
Lee O'Connor
Ercolani
Tanner
Taylor (formerly Dunne, depending on his illness of course)
Bernard
Laird
Brandon Williams
Mengi (likely promoted early)

Midfield:
Angel (half with first team)
Aidy Barlow
Galbraith
Garner
Levitt
McGhee
Puigmal
Traore
McCann (likely promoted early)
Elanga (likely promoted early)

Forwards:
Greenwood (half with first team)
Chong (half with first team)
Burkhart
Mellor
Ramazani

So even leaving out the likes of Deano, O'Hara, Hamilton, CBJ, and Demi there are still 26 players there. Even when Angel, Mason, Chong, or Garner get the odd call up there is still 22 players there. A couple more may go on loans, still around 20 players there. I'm just not sure how many more players do you expect us to have?

KevinJoh

I am not saying they won't benefit more for playing U23 than not playing at all, but with last year of contract for both of them (not sure, we probably have one year option as well), I am pretty sure if they don't see playing time in the first team and don't get reassurances that they will get minutes, that they will ask for loan or to leave the club. Sancho and some other lads showing them what they are missing, will be hard to say them play in U23 and maybe one day you will get your chance. Kids are not like that anymore. Already some rumors like those from Gomes camp month ago. Greenwood and Garner, I guess they will have more patience.