Right back....what are the options (if any)?

settembrini

Damn you, Transfermarkt! :D

Well, I don't know. He looks like someone who Poch would turn into a pretty good fullback, but we'll just have to wait and see what Ole (and McKenna) can do with him.
Wait and see is generally the best option for young players for sure.

I am probably coming across as overly positive on Mitchell. I do think he's a highly rated talent but even if he wants to stay then he's not a cert to make it at United by any means. I was just genuinely baffled to see that post where someone listed our full back options for next season and had Laird as one of the four in the first team squad when afaik he hasn't even done any regular training with the first team vs Mitchell who has been around it for years, already made his debut, had first team football on loan etc.

croadyman

Meunier because mentioned that Utd were his favourite english team,will help Dalot develop at the same time

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We don't have one good player for several positions. We are miles off talking about having two in every position yet.

Cliche Guevara

Wait and see is generally the best option for young players for sure.

I am probably coming across as overly positive on Mitchell. I do think he's a highly rated talent but even if he wants to stay then he's not a cert to make it at United by any means. I was just genuinely baffled to see that post where someone listed our full back options for next season and had Laird as one of the four in the first team squad when afaik he hasn't even done any regular training with the first team vs Mitchell who has been around it for years, already made his debut, had first team football on loan etc.
Mitchell will be at Rotherham next season.

Untd55

I know some people seem outraged by the notion of going for a right-back this summer, but is there a choice if we want to win titles?

Dalot is not ready to take on the role; he is not even as good as Young at the moment. He has a lot to learn for us to be able to rely on him.

We have to be aggressive if we want to win anything, so if it means signing a young established right-back (Wan Bissaka) then so be it. Dalot will just have to show he is good enough to take the position from him; if he cannot then he is not good enough I am afraid.

People want us to win titles but then don't want us to be aggressive enough to build a team to do it. Being too lenient leads to an acceptance of mediocrity.

Thiagoal

Ethan Laird will break through next season and challenge Young/ Dalot! The money is much better spent getting in a play maker in midfield, natural right winger and a consistent striker imo

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can’t we just buy Rafael back from Lyon?

He’s about 29 now and a perfect age to add some experience to the rotation, leaving Young to be back up at LB, which we currently do not have.

NoPace

I know we have Dalot and Laird so it makes more sense to sign a mid or late 20s player ready to perform at a high level immediately, but...

Le Red

Dalot is not ready to take on the role
He might not be the finished product but he'll never be until he's given a good run in the first team. He'll have stinkers and do his share of mistakes, but every player who becomes the best at their position is given faith and a lot of first team action when they are still green.
Waiting for a player to be "ready" is the recipe to making mediocrity.

sam147

We need a LB more then a RB. Shaw has never proven he can stay fit for a full season. One injury to him and we will have Ashley Young at LB. Its not only a disgrace but it disrupts the balance of the team. We need a LB and we need a RB. If we can sign Rafael on a free while signing Alex Telles then that would be ideal. If not we should be looking at someone like Atal for the RB position. People really believe 'Laird' will breakthrough. Even if he does he will not be good enough to enable the team to challenge. At this point I would take anyone over Ashley Young but that shouldn't be the case after the summer transfer window.

NoPace

We really should have signed Fabinho. He would surely have beaten out either Matic or become our RB for the next 2-3 years until Dalot or Laird hopefully pass him.

Hammer_st

Maybe Vrsaljko is an option. He played well at the WC and at Atletico. At the moment he is injured and it seems, that Inter dont gut the Claude and he move back to Atletico. Maybe he is available for little cash?

Wallez

@Hammer_st I am tired of us bringing in bang average players when we need world class players to close the gap to the top teams in the world. Vrsaljko is a Croatian version of Darmian, decent at everything but no standout attributes. He was good for Sassuolo and Croatia, but so was also Darmian for Torino and Italy. In addition, the Croatian national team where players like Lovren, Vida and Srna suddenly become world class players. He was not good enough for Atletico, which is why he was sent on loan to Inter with an 18 mill option to buy. He has now been removed from the Inter squad and replaced by Cedric from Southampton. If anything, I would rather want us to bring in Cedric than Vrsaljko.

Trizy

We need an attacking athlete, like Kyle Walker.

Since Shaw is best suited to defense, having an out-and-out attacking RB would give us very good balance when the back line shifts across the pitch the cover the area left behind.

Who suits this type of player and is available? fecks knows.. Achraf Hakimi? 20 year old RB for Dortmund with 3 goals and 7 assists this season.

Last edited:

haram

Since Shaw is best suited to defense, having an out-and-out attacking RB would give us very good balance when the back line shifts across the pitch the cover the area left behind.

Who suits this type of player and is available? fecks knows..
Dalot :D

onemanarmy

Who suits this type of player and is available? fecks knows.. Achraf Hakimi? 20 year old RB for Dortmund with 3 goals and 7 assists this season.

Meunier. Not the best defender, but used to be a winger/striker, is very athletic and has a good cross.

Hammer_st

@Hammer_st I am tired of us bringing in bang average players when we need world class players to close the gap to the top teams in the world. Vrsaljko is a Croatian version of Darmian, decent at everything but no standout attributes. He was good for Sassuolo and Croatia, but so was also Darmian for Torino and Italy. In addition, the Croatian national team where players like Lovren, Vida and Srna suddenly become world class players. He was not good enough for Atletico, which is why he was sent on loan to Inter with an 18 mill option to buy. He has now been removed from the Inter squad and replaced by Cedric from Southampton. If anything, I would rather want us to bring in Cedric than Vrsaljko.
He is no Kyle Walker or Kimmich, but else there are not many RB which would have a high impact to our game. And I would prefer Vrsalkjo for approx. 15M than Bissaka for 50-60M.

My favourite is still Hakimi from Dortmund. But I think he is not available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallez

Meunier would be a decent option to fill the age gap between Young and Dalot, as he is comfortably better than both atm. He is not one of the absolute best RBs in the world, but a solid player with decent experience. Young should at best be backup at both RB and LB, while Dalot need a few years to develop into a world class RB. If we sign Meunier for a relatively low fee (20 mill?) we would instantly improve our starting 11 and still have money to invest in other positions. Dalot would still probably get a fair amount of games, both as RB and RW.

Max Aarons has been brilliant for Norwich this season, and looks very similar to Kyle Walker in his playing style. However, he is only 19 years old and I don't think we can afford to wait for him to develop. We have a similar problem with Dalot, as we need a new first-choice RB from day 1.

Last edited:

Joe Sowerby

I don't rate Meunier as much as a lot of people but he'd be my choice if we were to buy one, i understand peoples desire for Wan-Bissaka but for me and this is probably going to be unpopular i'd rather see us introduce Ethan Laird than buy Wan-Bissaka.

Fosu-Mens

Max Aarons has been brilliant for Norwich this season, and looks very similar to Kyle Walker in his playing style. However, he is only 19 years old and I don't think we can afford to wait for him to develop. We have a similar problem with Dalot, as we need a new first-choice RB from day 1.
Aarons and Godrey (CB) looks really promising. Worth buying them and loaning them back to Norwich after they are promoted?

As a sidenote, they must have been doing something right at Norwich over the last season. Maybe worth getting some of their recruitement and academy coaches over to Carrington?
Kieran Scott seems like a interesting person: https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2018/december/kieran-scott-interview/

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Aarons and Godrey (CB) looks really promising. Worth buying them and loaning them back to Norwich after they are promoted?

As a sidenote, they must have been doing something right at Norwich over the last season. Maybe worth getting some of their recruitement and academy coaches over to Carrington?
Kieran Scott seems like a interesting person: https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2018/december/kieran-scott-interview/
Developing young players for Norwich is different to developing young players for United. We’re not exactly doing bad on that front the last few years, we’ve probably got our most hopeful group since CO92

Fosu-Mens

Developing young players for Norwich is different to developing young players for United. We’re not exactly doing bad on that front the last few years, we’ve probably got our most hopeful group since CO92
Our current crop of players seems promising, but thinking that we are the benchmark for youth developement or bringing players into the first team is naive. One can always improve, and we might learn some elements from Norwich. Either it be how they do their recruitement and identifying targets, how they operate and how they prepare their youth players for senior football.

Not denying that the there is a difference in environment in regards to developing players, but seing as we are not exactly breaking barriers as a club (other than financial, and thats what really matters for a football club, not football) we should benchmark/learn from clubs that are successful in areas we want to be successful, regardless of what division or country they play in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Our current crop of players seems promising, but thinking that we are the benchmark for youth developement or bringing players into the first team is naive. One can always improve, and we might learn some elements from Norwich. Either it be how they do their recruitement and identifying targets, how they operate and how they prepare their youth players for senior football.

Not denying that the there is a difference in environment in regards to developing players, but seing as we are not exactly breaking barriers as a club (other than financial, and thats what really matters for a football club, not football) we should benchmark/learn from clubs that are successful in areas we want to be successful, regardless of what division or country they play in.
How many players have Norwich turned out over the past 10 years compared to United? I don’t know but I doubt it stacks up. For sure United can learn things but I doubt poaching Norwich staff is what’s required

Fosu-Mens

How many players have Norwich turned out over the past 10 years compared to United? I don’t know but I doubt it stacks up. For sure United can learn things but I doubt poaching Norwich staff is what’s required
Been improving over the last 2 years. Then you have the Murphy twins before that. We might poach staff, but we should benchmark other clubs on areas they are successful in.

SparkedIntoLife

Lala (Strasbourg), Meunier (PSG), Da Costa (Frankfurt), Hateboer (Atalanta), Kadeřábek (Hoffenheim)

All should be reasonably cheap (20m max). All very productive in an attacking sense which might be wise while we don't have a right winger and Sancho might be unobtainable this Summer. All are older than 25 but younger than 28 so could be good stop gaps while Dalot/Laird are developing and should still have some resale value if those two develop well enough within the next couple of years.

Nick.

Based on the media rumours it seems Solskjaer very much likes Aaron Wan Bissaka.

NoPace

Bouna Sarr from Marseille
Do you watch them a lot?

Thauvin gonna score 15 again and Whoscored has him at 5 goals and 3 assists in the 10 games he's played on the right in a proper front 3 like he could here.

It feels like if we can't get Sancho, he's gotta be in the list of 3-5 names that make sense as alternatives based on age and production.