Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Is Pepe that good? Everytime ive watched him, which admittingly isnt a lot, he has failed to impress. He seems a bit rash in his dribbling and quite weak.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sancho would be the best choice. That said, I wouldn’t mind either a RW or someone who can play as a false 9, with Rashford playing from the right as he did at Spurs.

Dybala would be an option, which would give us two different styles in that role with Lingard as the other option. I also think Marco Reus would be a fantastic like-for-like upgrade for Lingard. He seems to turn down every chance to leave Dortmund though, but he’s basically like Jesse but just much better. He’d get us 20 goals as a false 9 I reckon, or even coming from the right. He’s a fantastic runner off the ball and breaks lines brilliantly. I’d say he’s maybe the best around at doing this.

The Irish Connection

Sancho would be sweet. Add Greenwood, who hopefully fulfills his potential in the first team and we’d be sorted for years you would think.

I’m going full silly season now but I think we should get Sancho, Koulibaly, Neves and Jack Clarke :p a cool 220 mill :cool:

Eplel

I don't think we need to buy someone, we got Lingard and Sanchez to cover this position. Greenwood should be promoted next year, the kid has destroyed the u-18 league.

Pavl3n

Bale hasn't really managed to cement a place in this new Real setup and they don't look like replicating past glories. Could he be tempted to perfectly slot himself in our new exciting looking attacking setup ?

Dong Fangzhuo

Sancho would be the best choice. That said, I wouldn’t mind either a RW or someone who can play as a false 9, with Rashford playing from the right as he did at Spurs.

Dybala would be an option, which would give us two different styles in that role with Lingard as the other option. I also think Marco Reus would be a fantastic like-for-like upgrade for Lingard. He seems to turn down every chance to leave Dortmund though, but he’s basically like Jesse but just much better. He’d get us 20 goals as a false 9 I reckon, or even coming from the right. He’s a fantastic runner off the ball and breaks lines brilliantly. I’d say he’s maybe the best around at doing this.
Been thinking the same thing re: Dybala. Dybala, Koulibaly and Meunier would be a brilliant summer.

NYAS

This would be the logical move, he looks a cut above the others being suggested, I'd rather wait for the best than rush in.
And it also gives him the chance to prove he can sustain this level over more than one possibly ‘freak’ season, and gives us the chance to spend big on and sort out our defence this coming summer.

I think we’ve done enough of padding the squad with ‘decent’ options. We need to go for the best now to elevate us to the next level. No Bergwijns or Pepes, thank you very much.

Icemav

He's mediocre at best. I would rather give Greenwood a chance then spend money on a poor man's Depay.
Totally agree. Much better trying to find the next Rashford than waste money on a player with only a small chance of succeeding and block the development of others.. If we go for a Jadon or Bale that is different but do we really want to part with that sort of money?

MUfreak

Nicolas Pepe for me, talented, pacy, and relatively cheap, will add a different dimension to our attack.

ravi2

Bale hasn't really managed to cement a place in this new Real setup and they don't look like replicating past glories. Could he be tempted to perfectly slot himself in our new exciting looking attacking setup ?
feck no, his injury record is atrocious

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I see no logic going for high priced player. Our competition in attack is big. We have 5 players for 3 position plus Chong who could get his chance next season. Plus Mata if he signs new contract. Alexis and Martial will not accept rotation next year so Alexis will start playing on the right. Only if we sell Alexis we will go for some top price player. And for right winger in general.

Hammer_st

I see no logic going for high priced player. Our competition in attack is big. We have 5 players for 3 position plus Chong who could get his chance next season. Plus Mata if he signs new contract. Alexis and Martial will not accept rotation next year so Alexis will start playing on the right. Only if we sell Alexis we will go for some top price player. And for right winger in general.
If we buy a new offensive player for sure we have to sell one. I hope we can swap Lukaku with Dybala. There were some gossip about an interest and maybe it is possible. I think Dybala fits better in our system.
And Chong should go on loan for a year he isn't ready until now.

ArjenIsM3

Don't forget Greenwood is also knocking on the door about as much as Chong is these days. They're not ready to really threaten Lingard's position in the team yet but in one or two years they could well be.

Pass and Move

Its a shame we missed out on Mbappe and Dembele. If we sign Sancho maybe he can become a star for us but he is young and we can't expect to win a title with a trio of Martial Rashford Sancho. Far too inexperienced but it can develop into a great trio. Sancho is very raw. Mbappe is mature beyond his age and he plays with Neymar and Cavani. That is the type of experience needed. City have Sane-Aguero-Sterling and Mahrez for cover. Liverpools front trio are all in their prime. This is the difference between our current squad and CO92. The youth players had ready made leaders and stars to guide them and take the team forward. Who do we have? I would love to see Sancho be a star for us but he will not be that instant impact player.
You can't win anything with kids.

Silas

How are people still dreaming about Bale in 2019?

ravi2

How are people still dreaming about Bale in 2019?
I really wonder about posts still going on about Bale as if he doesnt spend at least half the season injured and its getting worse every year.
Its like some folks are stuck in 2013

DarkRed

Guys, if you would take into account that in 2 to 3 years time will will need that place for Chong or Greenwood, whom can we bring to fill the void for that time?

settembrini

Been poking around on whoscored.com this evening looking at stats for various right wing options and here are some random thoughts:

1. Chiesa is overhyped. Passing accuracy, poor touches per game, tackled per game, goals + assists productivity... he's underperforming in multiple important categories.
2. Stick a fork in Bale, he's done. Without his pace his stats look like Mata's. If you want your winger to recycle possession then he's fine, if you want someone beating defenders, getting assists, scoring goals, look elsewhere.
3. Ligue 1 has a bunch of good right wingers who aren't quite elite. Pepe and Thauvin are exciting and productive but very weak in possession. Bertrand Traore beats them both in a bunch of categories but is let down by a lack of creativity, low key pass rate and just one assist all season.
4. Cengiz Under isn't a big enough improvement on Mata to be worth buying. He's good at keeping possession but nothing special outside outside of that.
5. Dybala is still a class player who does well many categories but the drop in his goal return this season is crazy. Possibly a victim of Juventus rebuilding around Ronaldo?
6. Suso is underrated. He gets tackled a lot but is good to great at everything else. Judged solely on this season's stats he has outperformed all the other right wingers I've named so far. I wonder why there is less hype about him. Considering his performances and the fact he counts at home grown I would have expected more paper talk about him returning to the PL.
7. Sancho has been unreal. If there was a gap between Suso and the rest (and there was) then the gap between Sancho and Suso is even bigger. Firstly he was the most productive player I looked at by a distance (a goal or assist every 80 minutes) plus he was the best dribbler by a distance and if that's not enough he was also one of the best passers. Plus he doesn't really seem to have any significant weaknesses. Plus he's at least three years younger than anyone else I looked at. He's a freak.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Been poking around on whoscored.com this evening looking at stats for various right wing options and here are some random thoughts:

1. Chiesa is overhyped. Passing accuracy, poor touches per game, tackled per game, goals + assists productivity... he's underperforming in multiple important categories.
2. Stick a fork in Bale, he's done. Without his pace his stats look like Mata's. If you want your winger to recycle possession then he's fine, if you want someone beating defenders, getting assists, scoring goals, look elsewhere.
3. Ligue 1 has a bunch of good right wingers who aren't quite elite. Pepe and Thauvin are exciting and productive but very weak in possession. Bertrand Traore beats them both in a bunch of categories but is let down by a lack of creativity, low key pass rate and just one assist all season.
4. Cengiz Under isn't a big enough improvement on Mata to be worth buying. He's good at keeping possession but nothing special outside outside of that.
5. Dybala is still a class player who does well many categories but the drop in his goal return this season is crazy. Possibly a victim of Juventus rebuilding around Ronaldo?
6. Suso is underrated. He gets tackled a lot but is good to great at everything else. Judged solely on this season's stats he has outperformed all the other right wingers I've named so far. I wonder why there is less hype about him. Considering his performances and the fact he counts at home grown I would have expected more paper talk about him returning to the PL.
7. Sancho has been unreal. If there was a gap between Suso and the rest (and there was) then the gap between Sancho and Suso is even bigger. Firstly he was the most productive player I looked at by a distance (a goal or assist every 80 minutes) plus he was the best dribbler by a distance and if that's not enough he was also one of the best passers. Plus he doesn't really seem to have any significant weaknesses. Plus he's at least three years younger than anyone else I looked at. He's a freak.
Good post.

We have to go for Sancho. He could be a Rooney like signing for us.

mav_9me

This is one time where the eye test matches the stats.

His pass for Gotze's goal this sat was simple but just perfectly weighted.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition

Good stuff.

If you could spare the time, would be interested to read how you interpret the stats for these oft-mentioned guys:

Serie A - Bernardeschi, Kluivert, Berardi, de Paul, Politano

Ligue 1 - Fekir, Saint-Maximin, Ismaila Sarr

Eredivisie - Ziyech, Lozano, Bergwijn

BuLi - Thorgan Hazard, Brandt

Some of these guys are more central or number 10s (Fekir, Ziyech) & some are more LW (Rodrigo de Paul, Hazard, Lozano) but perhaps they could do a pretty decent job out on the right wing & may already have experimented there for their respective clubs.

RedCurry

I think Ole will get the permanent job and we’ll sign an out-and-out winger, probably from lower down the table.

The Irish Connection

If I was to criticize what I’ve seen of Sancho, it would be his intensity. He kind of stops with the ball a lot instead of driving at the defenders with it, a bit like Sanchez. He’s young though and training in high tempo, pacey attacking under ole might improve him there. That being said, when he stops, he often then picks out a nice pass to another runner.
An attack of martial, rashford, Greenwood, Lingard, Sancho and pogba would be dream stuff and could rival the class of 92!
We haven’t been really linked with him yet though?

Kidders

Young Leeds winger/right back. Looks to enjoy coning defenders.
Alright, wan bissaka would be good too. But look, Sancho and Koulibaly alone would be mint.
If Clarke turns out to be as good as the other signings we've made from Leeds then I'm in.
Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen, Eric Cantona, Rio Ferdinand & Alan Smith - not too bad eh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.