Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Sancho will cost us a tonne of cash make no mistake.
- Dembele precedent
- Rich English club going after English homegrown player
- 3 more years on contract
- In the form of his life
- Attackers in this market going for eye watering sums (Mbappe, Dembele, Neymar, Coutinho etc)

Like everyone here, I still think he's worth it of course. Plus we have good ties with BVB. My guess is they'll sell him for around €130m. (Which is fantastic business for BVB considering they bought him for €8m & the latest top tier RW, Mahrez went for €68m)

That kind of price tag will bring a lot of pressure on this 19 year old though. Which is why I'm hoping we do Sancho + Suso for our right wing. Suso is homegrown, 26 this year, entering his prime, left-footed & has a release clause of €40m.

What a great feeling it would be to have a threatening right wing made up of former Pool/ManC players :lol:

tieunhilang

Sancho will cost us a tonne of cash make no mistake.
- Dembele precedent
- Rich English club going after English homegrown player
- 3 more years on contract
- In the form of his life
- Attackers in this market going for eye watering sums (Mbappe, Dembele, Neymar, Coutinho etc)

Like everyone here, I still think he's worth it of course. Plus we have good ties with BVB. My guess is they'll sell him for around €130m. (Which is fantastic business for BVB considering they bought him for €8m & the latest top tier RW, Mahrez went for €68m)

That kind of price tag will bring a lot of pressure on this 19 year old though. Which is why I'm hoping we do Sancho + Suso for our right wing. Suso is homegrown, 26 this year, entering his prime, left-footed & has a release clause of €40m.

What a great feeling it would be to have a threatening right wing made up of former Pool/ManC players :lol:
You're making too much sense for this to happen. Knowing Woodward, we'd probably spend this summer chasing Bale instead...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From the little i've seen of Pepe, he looks more a Everton/Wolves level of player. We should aim higher and make a concerted effort for Sancho which I think we will.
Yeah just didn't see the elite ability even if it was based on a small sample size.

Fracture90

Dembele's ability to play and control the ball equally as good with both of his feet is just sublime.

cathari

Let's play a game where I'll be head scout searching for an RW, and you the gaffer or the board

First, let's look at the United way: will we promote through our own ranks to fill the vacuum? Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes or Mason Greenwood? To me, it feels rather unlikely that any of them would be given that kind of responsibility already next season. They'll probably be in the squad, but not intended the squad's RW.

So, if not from the academy, maybe the Premier League? Is there a new Antonio Valencia who we could "promote" to our squad? Felipe Anderson could be such a player, but with only one season in the league, has he earned it? I'd say he is worth the risk, but he has proven most effective on the left, and maybe therefor not our ideal winger?

Who else have we got? The premier league is rich of new players this year, so I'll take a couple more up-and-comers. David Brooks is such a talent, and has played good football on the right wing this season, but perhaps even better centrally for Bournemouth, but hey, aren't we looking for someone who could fill in for Pogba at times? Brooks is also English, and with Brexit looming, that could be a huge bonus. Positives aside, he is not the fastest, and that makes him an English Juan on our right wing. Moving on, how about Ryan Fraser? Scottish, but a proper winger. Also one that operates on the left most of the times (what is it with the left wingers these days?). Fraser has shown some real potential this season, but he's not as intriguing as Felipe Anderson in my mind.

Already now, I get why we have not employed a Director of Football yet. Finding players good enough for Man United, is near impossible!

So, lastly, let's look abroad for our man, and then hopefully reach some conclusions that I can bring the gaffer. Chiesa, Suso and Ünder are all interesting prospects, in my Football Manager save, but are they good enough for Man United, and maybe more importantly, will take the step into stardom? And will an Italian settle in England, ..ever? Can't say, but maybe I am too negative here. Suso found it hard breaking in at Liverpool in his teens, but now in his mid-twenties, could he prove the real deal? I'd say maybe, but I'd rather risk it on Felipe Anderson than on him, unfortunately. Ünder is another very exciting prospect, but too me he just doesn't look to have that star potential.

So where does that leave our hunt for the next RW at Man United. Felipe Anderson? I'd say he is not the perfect, but an okay candidate, and I'd rather recommend breaking the bank for Jadon Sancho, or the next Brazilian wonderkid, than going for someone merely 'okay'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

ArjenIsM3

To be honest, everyone here is talking about us having to sign Sancho/Pepe/Brooks or whichever young talent is being hyped atm, while also calling for Chong/Gomes/Greenwood to be blooded in the first team. You can't have it both ways. We have Lingard for RW, but no back-up. That leaves 1 spot for someone to come in, be it Chong or Sancho. Sign Sancho, and Chong is unlikely to ever make the first team. Signing a more short term solution like Douglas Costa for example would allow Chong 2-3 more years to develop while not permanently cutting off his path to the first team. For me, I think Chong is talented but I'm not convinced he'll make it yet so I'm not sure what is the best strategy here.

ArjenIsM3

if he's good enough he will. that's the challenge.
How do you expect him to get to that level if he's going to be third choice behind Sancho and Lingard? Farm him out on loan and hope for the best? Hasn't worked that well for us in the past iirc.

cathari

How do you expect him to get to that level if he's going to be third choice behind Sancho and Lingard? Farm him out on loan and hope for the best? Hasn't worked that well for us in the past iirc.
Maybe that's why we should sign someone like Anderson.

cathari

Did you even read my posts before you turned on the sarcasm?
I wasn't being sarcastic. I just wrote a post above on Anderson being merely an okay acquisition, and therefor I'd say him and Lingard would be okay contention for a talent like Chong.

stepic

if Chong can't beat out Lingard for at least the backup RW position, then i dare say he won't be good enough for us.

Rolaholic

Would love either Sancho or Inaki Williams on the right

Haven't really been sold on Lozano or Pepe yet

ArjenIsM3

I wasn't being sarcastic. I just wrote a post above on Anderson being merely an okay acquisition, and therefor I'd say him and Lingard would be okay contention for a talent like Chong.
Anderson came to us as a relatively young highly rated talent. He was what, 19? Would be similar to us signing Sancho right now.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Would love either Sancho or Inaki Williams on the right

Haven't really been sold on Lozano or Pepe yet
Lozano is having a mediocre season for PSV I think. Got subbed early last weekend because he wasn't playing well.

ArjenIsM3

Lozano is having a mediocre season for PSV I think. Got subbed early last weekend because he wasn't playing well.
Yeah true, people are accusing him of playing for himself now instead of playing for the team. To be fair though the entire PSV team stopped performing after the winter break.

Redrich91

Ousmane Dembele, (if Barca are listening to offers come this summer.) Nicolas Pepe, or Allan Saint-Maximin for me. All dynamic wingers that can beat a man inside or outside, deliver a final ball, or cut inside to whip in a good shot if needed. The days of having traditional wingers as the only option are dead imo. Mata should never ever play RW. Can't beat a man outside, too slow when he cuts inside, cannot press, cannot beat the press.. The list goes on.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To be honest, everyone here is talking about us having to sign Sancho/Pepe/Brooks or whichever young talent is being hyped atm, while also calling for Chong/Gomes/Greenwood to be blooded in the first team. You can't have it both ways. We have Lingard for RW, but no back-up. That leaves 1 spot for someone to come in, be it Chong or Sancho. Sign Sancho, and Chong is unlikely to ever make the first team. Signing a more short term solution like Douglas Costa for example would allow Chong 2-3 more years to develop while not permanently cutting off his path to the first team. For me, I think Chong is talented but I'm not convinced he'll make it yet so I'm not sure what is the best strategy here.
Martial ,Rashford ,Lukaku,Lingard,Sanchez are now competing for 3 positions . Will get plenty of game time for everyone .

None of them has proved good enough to be a certain starter and all of the positions are up for grabs.

DSG

There are some reports of us scouting Joao Felix.

Would you rather have Sancho for £140m or Joao Felix for £100m?

No way we would go for both...

Devil may care

There are some reports of us scouting Joao Felix.

Would you rather have Sancho for £140m or Joao Felix for £100m?

No way we would go for both...
At those prices, neither. They are two totally different players, Sancho is a winger who can float, Felix looks like he'd work best at the tip of the diamond when we play that formation, but £100M for a kid from the Portuguese league? Half that at most.

DSG

At those prices, neither. They are two totally different players, Sancho is a winger who can float, Felix looks like he'd work best at the tip of the diamond when we play that formation, but £100M for a kid from the Portuguese league? Half that at most.
Agree. Felix looks to be a 10. His release clause is €120m...

Sancho won’t be sold for less than €120m. Not when Pulisic went for 73m.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Pepe has the profile we are after, and has the stats to back it up. Same age as Martial I think and french so will probably fit in. There will always be a risk, certain players have these crazy seasons once in a while beyond their talent but to me, that Pepe kid seems like a late bloomer type of special talent. If we take his profile into consideration the upside of signing him and him succeeding here is far more appealing than the risk of him only being a Everton level player. We should take the risk to sign more players who show potential that might do well at other clubs, then go on to become great players. We have a position ready for him to slot right in at, and a style of play where he can make use of his talents. It is different from signing Memphis or Di Maria where we aren't really sure what to do with them, or how to use them. He can take some time and we'll still find use for him while he adjusts.

DSG

I haven’t watched a full game of Pepe, which I like to do before making an assessment. You have to see how the players move without the ball, spacing, how they defend, etc.

I did watch one of his YouTube clips.

It jumped out at me immediately. He reminds me of Sadio Mane. Not the way he runs or looks, but how direct he is. And relentless. The work rate and pace are impressive. You can just see the opposing CBs knowing they are in for a long day with a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Pepe.

I believe that Ole and his team have a very clear idea about how they want to play, quick counterattack with a high press and it seems Pepe fits that exactly. I don’t think you will get him for less than £60m though... Transfer markt has his valuation at €40m.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Cracks me up when people say we shouldn’t sign anyone in case one of our completely unproven youngsters turns good - which is so, so rare. It’s an anomaly.

These forums are filled with hype over our next kid. They never work out. Literally.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t try but look at our attack compared to the top ones in europe.

Absolutely miles off. We haven’t got a single attacker that would make the bench for the top 4-5 teams in Europe ffs.

SammyUnited_83

Cracks me up when people say we shouldn’t sign anyone in case one of our completely unproven youngsters turns good - which is so, so rare. It’s an anomaly.

These forums are filled with hype over our next kid. They never work out. Literally.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t try but look at our attack compared to the top ones in europe.

Absolutely miles off. We haven’t got a single attacker that would make the bench for the top 4-5 teams in Europe ffs.
Perhaps City are now wishing they gave Sancho so more time, as he's probably a 80m player now.

We have now idea if any of our kids are good enough until they actually play.

Fracture90

Don't think that Bayern wouldn't want to replace Robben/Ribery with one of Rashford/Martial, that Juventus wouldn't replace Mandzukic with one of them, that Barcelone wouldn't replace Suarez with one of them, that Madrid wouldn't replace Benzema with one of them...

In Rainbows

Yes we can, because it's important which players get prioritized and which position they play in. Greenwood is going to be a #9 even though he can play on the wing. He has Rashford and Martial in two of those positions. Eventually he'll have to beat Rashford to get that #9 spot. No offense, but Sancho is clearly on another level to Chong. He's younger, more proven, and more technically gifted. This has always been the case since he was playing for City's youth teams. There is no harm in buying Sancho and having Chong earn his place as a back up RW. Just like how there is no harm in having Greenwood earn his place as a back up #9.

There is nothing wrong with Chong being a permanent squad player either, should he fail to be better than Sancho.

Perhaps City are now wishing they gave Sancho so more time, as he's probably a 80m player now.

We have now idea if any of our kids are good enough until they actually play.
There's nuance to these matters. Sancho is on another level to Chong and that was the case before he went to Dortmund. He should have been given a chance. Just like Greenwood should be given a chance. That's different than just automatically making them the guaranteed starter unless they're absolutely tearing up the youth leagues. Chong isn't doing that. He's been underwhelming this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You're making too much sense for this to happen. Knowing Woodward, we'd probably spend this summer chasing Bale instead...
It’s not sense at all, let alone ‘too much’ of it. We won’t be buying two right wingers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We also need departures in the front line, and I suspect that there will be at least one of those this summer. There is no way Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata should all start next season here. Personally, I wouldn’t be too upset if none of them did.

I’d like Martial, Rashford and wishfully Sancho to be the first three. Then Jesse, Greenwood and a more senior, versatile attacker as the next three. I’m okay with this player being Sanchez if we can’t shift him, however, if he goes, I think Joshua King would be a great fit for this role. Can play centre forward, right or left, mid-twenties now with years of PL experience, and knows the club too. Was always a big fan of his when he was with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.