Rino Gattuso is the new manager of AC Milan

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rui Costa came after Gattuso actually, but anyway I remember when Milan had also some hard working players/defensive midfielders even during their most well known Sacchi golden era like Evani or Colombo and these were players that were making the dirty work as Gattuso, important players.

Milan always had hardworking players but they provided far more to their game than that. Gattuso offered very little apart from hardwork, something that served AC Milan well as it complimented Pirlo magnificently but was still a thing their fans needed time to adapt to.

PS: You're right about Costa, my mistake.

Champagne Football

He didn't, you are just old. Or at least that was my reading of that and the comment on them being untouchable when watching them as a kid... in 2005 and not 1989.
That Milan team was arguably the best of all time......Not mentioning their famous stars from that 80's era is like saying Napoli have had some wonderful players in the past but forgetting to mention Maradona

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That Milan team was arguably the best of all time......Not mentioning their famous stars from that 80's era is like saying Napoli have had some wonderful players in the past but forgetting to mention Maradona
I know, agree with you, just saw your post and was happy to find I wasn't the only one shaking his head

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I love this man.

Absolutely crazy that there's 2 months between semi-final legs, though :eek: Would have to imagine they'll go through having drew away from home, but still.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Correct decision, he did well, everything being considered, but Milan needs to aim for better.

Based Adnan

An actual resignation as opposed to 'mutual termination' that was actually a sacking and receiving a contract pay off for.

Fair play Gattuso. Not many like him left in football.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
An actual resignation as opposed to 'mutual termination' that was actually a sacking and receiving a contract pay off for.

Fair play Gattuso. Not many like him left in football.
Only a few days ago he was talking about how he wanted to stay for a long time and what type of players he wanted to bring in the summer.

The Milan board have been looking at a new potential manager for months. I'm certain Gattuso was told about the boards decision after the final match and they agreed this was the most dignified way to part ways. Gattuso giving up 90% of his termination fee was surely his decision though and it tells you all about the man you need. Much respect to him.

Milan started this season poorly in terms of results but bit by bit you could see improvement. I actually quite enjoyed watching them at times. The downfall was towards the end of the season where they threw away too many points unnecessarily. They had CL football in their own hands but fecked up.

Would Gattuso have been handed the reigns for next season if Milan would have qualified for the CL? I honestly don't think so for some reason.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
And now Leonardo has resigned from his post as the sporting director. Big changes coming for Milan.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Love Gattuso, Milan through and through and a true warrior.
Actually thought he had Milan back on track, another season and they would have had the top four cracked.

Cloud7

Leaving that money on the table is a nice story, but damn if it ain't a stupid move by him.
In all likelihood he has enough money to live the rest of his life comfortably. He clearly loves the club, and values that more than the money from the rest of his contract. It’s very admirable in my opinion. People talk a lot about this person or that person loving a club, but this is an act of genuine love for Milan.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Would Mourinho ever consider going there, or would his ties to Inter stop him? Assuming they'd even want him of course.

There's been quite a lot of players who have played for both compared to those who have played for United and some of our rivals, not sure if it would translate to managers too.

Celoti23-81

Missed out on CL football by a point after spending a lot of money in the summer.
We are the AC Milan Of English football at the moment! We let our team get old with Rio, Giggs and co like Milan did with Nesta, Maldini etc.
we then end up with a club legend as manager because nothing else worked!
How long have Milan been in the wilderness for? 10 plus years!

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
We are the AC Milan Of English football at the moment! We let our team get old with Rio, Giggs and co like Milan did with Nesta, Maldini etc.
we then end up with a club legend as manager because nothing else worked!
How long have Milan been in the wilderness for? 10 plus years!
Milan won the Serie A 8 years ago.

Sure the signs of Milan's impending downfall were evident around that time, but their situation can't really be compared to United's.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
In all likelihood he has enough money to live the rest of his life comfortably. He clearly loves the club, and values that more than the money from the rest of his contract. It’s very admirable in my opinion. People talk a lot about this person or that person loving a club, but this is an act of genuine love for Milan.
I have a lot of time for his decision. First one I can remember was Strachan leaving Boro and not taking the payoff. It's a class move.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's leaving because the club is going through another downsizing in terms of investment. It's likely they will not take part in EL next season to "buy" a year for FFP. Ownership wants another rebuild with young players.

Same reason Leonardo quit and Maldini might follow soon as well

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He did way better than I thought he would tbh. Seems Gazidis was going to sack him anyway so very honourable to resign instead of waiting for a pay off.

Not getting top 4 this season though was disappointing especially when you think he was backed in January when they signed Piatek mid season to get them over the line.

Nickelodeon

Rumored to be the next Marseille manager. Hasn't really been successful at any of his clubs (Missed CL qualification in consecutive seasons with Milan, missed CL qualification with Napoli but won the cup though, appointed for Fiorentina but left in 2 weeks without a single game and sacked in 6 months at Valencia). But still somehow keeps landing relatively big jobs. Any insights what brings to the table as a manager?

Brophs

The One and Only
Rumored to be the next Marseille manager. Hasn't really been successful at any of his clubs (Missed CL qualification in consecutive seasons with Milan, missed CL qualification with Napoli but won the cup though, appointed for Fiorentina but left in 2 weeks without a single game and sacked in 6 months at Valencia). But still somehow keeps landing relatively big jobs. Any insights what brings to the table as a manager?
A good agent.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Malakia

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Sounds like you are saying that he is ...