Rio Ferdinand’s 2003 drugs ban under fresh scrutiny

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Ferdinand has been implicated in an investigation into a bespoke mobile phone service for high-end clients, who can allegedly doctor phone records to prove anything you want, basically. This is pertinent to Ferdinand and his drugs ban as his phone records - and proof his phone was turned off when he left Carrington and that he phoned his doctor when he powered it up again - formed a major part of his defence.

If it is proved he lied about this and conspired to deliberately mislead investigators, what does it mean for him today? His BT Sport gig cancelled? Further consequences?

I had always given him the benefit of the doubt on this but it doesn’t look good for him, to be honest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He got a long ban even without them proving drugs, so it's not like he got away with anything anyway.

Seems weird to rake this up now. They'll never prove this.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Every game he played in should be an automatic loss for United, QPR and England.

Strip United of all the trophies they won with Ferdinand

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He got a long ban even without them proving drugs, so it's not like he got away with anything anyway.

There's a digital finger-print and records though, so there is some evidence. It depends if he can be prosecuted.

But yes he faced a long ban to begin with, and I really doubt BT would sack someone over something that happened 17 years ago. It's not like they are heinous crimes against humanity.

Judas

Open to offers
Literally nothing will come of this. If Jamie Carragher kept his job, Rio will probably get promoted at BT in comparison. It's just nonsense.

Buchan

Agreed. The ban itself seemed very excessive at the time (I recall a City reserve player missing a test around the same time and was only given a slap on the wrist) and no doubt they wanted to make an example out of Ferdinand.

Maybe they found Ferdinand’s version of events to be an unreliable and his attempts to evade the test on the day to be highly suspicious, hence the lengthy ban without the evidence of drugs present.

Either way, if he paid to have his mobile phone operator doctor his phone records to be more favourable towards him in the investigation, that is a very serious offence and certainly newsworthy despite the time lapsed since.

Buchan

He never got away with it. He got a very unfair punishment imo.
Nobody is suggesting that he got away with it. The allegation here is he deliberately tried to mislead investigators by doctoring evidence to corroborate his version of events.

I find it quite strange for people to be so blasé about something quite serious, United legend or not.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
That he paid his private mobile phone operator to doctor his phone records?

Why would he need to do that if he was telling the truth?
Yeah, I misunderstood the story and the OP.. That's why I deleted my post.. You and your fast fingers...! :mad:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nobody is suggesting that he got away with it. The allegation here is he deliberately tried to mislead investigators by doctoring evidence to corroborate his version of events.

I find it quite strange for people to be so blasé about something quite serious, United legend or not.
People under investigation try to mislead investigators all the time. What matters is if they get away with it.

Red Foxx

Granted it was almost 20 years ago, it still isn’t a good look for Rio. Yeah, he was banned, but I’m sure a few agenda-driven folks are already sharpening the knives and pitchforks

Buchan

Given this happened 17 years ago, the punishment should also be stupidly anachronistic.

3 match ban for Evra. Get that cheerleader off my TV!
Statute of limitations might have passed now, mate.

We’ll settle for Chelsea to come 5th. Payback for the time that weasel Kenyon tapped up Rio... ;)

RedIan

What a pointless excercise. Is this just bull ship paper talk. Probably - What would be the point at all. - none. He was punished at the time as if guilty anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agreed. The ban itself seemed very excessive at the time (I recall a City reserve player missing a test around the same time and was only given a slap on the wrist) and no doubt they wanted to make an example out of Ferdinand.

Maybe they found Ferdinand’s version of events to be an unreliable and his attempts to evade the test on the day to be highly suspicious, hence the lengthy ban without the evidence of drugs present.

Either way, if he paid to have his mobile phone operator doctor his phone records to be more favourable towards him in the investigation, that is a very serious offence and certainly newsworthy despite the time lapsed since.
I'll always remember Mutu got an 8 month ban for actually failing a drugs test, and Ferdinand a 9month for just missing a test.

Bonkers really, as while you can say, Oh Mutu's wasn't performance enhancing, to ban someone who "may" have taken performance enhancing drugs, longer than someone who has actually taken illegal drugs is no sort of justice

mu4c_20le

If there is evidence beyond all doubt, then it would prove that he was a bit dodgy back then. Not like it was a written confession that he doped.

red4ever 79

And what, even if found guilty what are they going to do, hand him a 5 match ban on BT sports

Lost bear

Granted it was almost 20 years ago, it still isn’t a good look for Rio. Yeah, he was banned, but I’m sure a few agenda-driven folks are already sharpening the knives and pitchforks
It relates to a minor drugs offence, doesn’t it? It’s arguable whether personal consumption should be a crime at all, let alone some ancient nonsense like this. There are more important things with which to engage, surely?

[QUOTE="Red Foxx, post: 25765049, member: 119807"

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Nothing story. Mobile provders share network equipment and bill each other to death for it. There would have been records of any activity from someone other than the bespoke provider but they probably don't exist 17 years later, which is convenient for the story.

edcunited1878

Ferdinand and his lawyers should just appeal this case to CAS and have them overturn it based on this 'evidence' being time-barred. This happened more than 15 years ago ffs. He served his undue ban, never tested negative for a drugs, etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What a heinous crime. United must now face and accept the long overdue punishment. I'm a reasonable bloke, so nothing over the top. Stripping United of the 2008 CL title and the 2007 and 2008 league titles will suffice.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Not sure what can be done about this now. I did always thought at the time they must've had something on him but couldn't prove it via a test because he avoided it. That would explain why he got such a long ban.

I mean, this shouldn't really effect Utd, unless this is just the tip of the iceberg and it is found that multiple players did something similar. However, for Rio it is not a good look whatsoever. If they can prove he did this, then is pretty much proves he was taking something and tried to cover it up. I mean, trying to not get to hyperbolic, but it sounds like something Lance Armstrong would've pulled.

tjb

In reality, that ban was still a joke as far as I'm concerned. Players in Serie A were actively cheating and still playing games every week.

LARulz

:lol: Cant stand Jake. So annoying.
He's like that kid at school who wants to hang around the 'cool' kids. He has no talent of his own but pretends he does by talking shit. Or the others keep him around cos he's rich and will buy them the booze

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

When you say serious, are you thinking PEDs or a bit of cocaine?

tomaldinho1

Nothing story. Mobile provders share network equipment and bill each other to death for it. There would have been records of any activity from someone other than the bespoke provider but they probably don't exist 17 years later, which is convenient for the story.
Exactly this. Such a bizarre thing to dredge up from the past especially because he got banned

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Double jeopardy for the win!

That or hire City's lawyers to try get that time barred crap to stick.

Red_toad

Ferdinand has been implicated in an investigation into a bespoke mobile phone service for high-end clients, who can allegedly doctor phone records to prove anything you want, basically. This is pertinent to Ferdinand and his drugs ban as his phone records - and proof his phone was turned off when he left Carrington and that he phoned his doctor when he powered it up again - formed a major part of his defence.

If it is proved he lied about this and conspired to deliberately mislead investigators, what does it mean for him today? His BT Sport gig cancelled? Further consequences?

I had always given him the benefit of the doubt on this but it doesn’t look good for him, to be honest.
How kind of you, shame he got the book threw at him anyways, whilst some young City player got away with it. It's ancient history and should be left there, he served a lengthy ban and was treated like he was guilty regardless.