Rio Ferdinand advises Harry Kane to move on

TheReligion

Abusive
https://www.football365.com/news/ferdinand-uses-leeds-example-as-he-advises-kane-to-leave-spurs

Essentially saying he has to make a choice about his career at 26 years old on what he wants to go on to achieve. Much like Rio did when he left Leeds.

Has he got a good point and more importantly would Kane push to go? After all that's going on at Spurs at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if a number of clubs are in contact with his agent and Kane himself might just consider his options..

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
I would respect that point of view if he said same thing about Pogba. This is the problem with ex players and their bias. Pogba is 26 year old world cup winner and world class player. Why should he stay at United and Kane leave spurs?

Overlook

If he did move it would probably be abroad. He’s tied down at Tottenham until 2024. No PL club is going to cough up the £150m+ that Levy would demand for him.

Inter Yer Nan

It's a good thing Spurs' capitulation yesterday has inspired Glaston to go to India otherwise he'd be in here telling us how nobody is bigger or better than Spurs and Kane would never leave because the stadium is dead good.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
It's a shame he won't come to united as he's a player we really need right now. Moving to united would be a step down.

snowkarl

He's past it. Looks slow, never recovered from his ankle issues and half his goals are penalties.

3 years ago he was a force of nature but fortunately those days are long gone, but he is a cautionary tale of how you should never rush back from persistent niggles and injuries... Ehm

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We really should've broken the bank for him after his breakout season. Even then it was a long shot (dealing with Levy and all), but surely now that ship has sailed unfortunately.

Nights

It's a good thing Spurs' capitulation yesterday has inspired Glaston to go to India otherwise he'd be in here telling us how nobody is bigger or better than Spurs and Kane would never leave because the stadium is dead good.
Don’t forget about the mythical cheese room that’ll keep all the stars at Spurs.

Renegade

Wonder if he would advise Pogba to move. Although his won stuff already. His entering his prime and I don’t see many trophies in his future sticking with us.

Cloud7

Wonder if he would advise Pogba to move. Although his won stuff already. His entering his prime and I don’t see many trophies in his future sticking with us.
If he was being objective, he would, but Rio is United through and through.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I would respect that point of view if he said same thing about Pogba. This is the problem with ex players and their bias. Pogba is 26 year old world cup winner and world class player. Why should he stay at United and Kane leave spurs?
Difference being is that ManUtd has the ambition to be doing better than we are and will work hard to get back to the top. Tottenham? Not so much...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's past it. Looks slow, never recovered from his ankle issues and half his goals are penalties.

3 years ago he was a force of nature but fortunately those days are long gone, but he is a cautionary tale of how you should never rush back from persistent niggles and injuries... Ehm

Past it? I'm just gonna leave this right here

MrPooni

Given the choice I'd take Son over him but I appreciate neither transfer is ever likely to happen considering the state of affairs at United.

AkaAkuma

He can stay and become a legend or leave and get trophies. At present I think the later is only available at either City or Barca. Not sure either has the money for it.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Difference being is that ManUtd has the ambition to be doing better than we are and will work hard to get back to the top. Tottenham? Not so much...
So you think Tottenham dont want to win trophies or work hard to improve? United has not been close to winning the league or CL since Sir Alex left. There is nothing that indicates basef on last 4-5 years performances that United are gonna win anything big next 2-3 years. You want Pogba to waste his prime on United working hard to improve with the vision of Woodward and the Glazers? Im just saying you cant tell Kane to leave and not do the same for Pogba based on footballing reason.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hes got Real Madrid written all over him
Nah, too late(or early) for that. For the time being there's only one striker we're looking at, even putting money aside to make that happen once he tells us he's ready to come :cool:

HJ12

Think he would be a pefect replacement for Lewandowksi at Bayern

jackal&hyde

If he wants trophies he has to. Spurs have peaked imo and it's highly unlikely they will compete for anything more then the odd domestic cup for the next few years. There will be no shortage of buyers with Real, Barcelona, Bayern and even Juve looking like possible choices. I would not rule out City and Liverpool either.

redshaw

Similar to Pogba who is also 26. They have 3-4 years at their peak and should look for a move.

Tough for Kane as his contract runs out in 2024 and there's not a lot of options but football changes fast, you just never know where managers end up and what situations materialize.

Ekeke

I think he could go wherever he wants. I dont think theres a club who wouldnt take him if they could afford him

jackal&hyde

I feel a bit sorry for Spurs fans. They lost their best players over time and even now after their so called golden period they still have nothing to show for it while their best players are still moving on (Walker) or are about to. Even the terrible United and Chelsea have some silverware to show over the last few years. Must be terrible to be a Spurs fan.

Supports
England

I don't even know where this misconception came from but I suspect it has a lot to do with how good he's always been at taking penalties.

In reality, pens make up about the same % of club goals for both Kane and Aguero. Only one of them is associated with penalties though.

*Insert thinking emoji but not really because it's a low-IQ meme*

Anyway, he's scored about 8 already this season - twice as many as any of his teammates - while playing primarily in a #10 role and feeding on the scraps of a team in bottom-half form. Crocked or not, he's still world class. If you're a Utd supporter and don't think he would improve you massively, I don't know what to say.

Supports
England
He's nowhere as good as Lewa, but then there's not many good strikers going at the moment..
That's just seems like a massive retcon after seeing their two teams go head to head. Kane didn't get a clear chance all game[1] and strikers don't ship 7 goals. If Kane was playing for Bayern in that game, he would've scored more too. Those Lewa shots into the bottom corner are Kane's bread and butter.

I don't see a problem with the opinion that Lewa is better than Kane. I consider them both top 3 strikers alongside Aguero. But to claim that there's a big difference is just silly to me, particularly when one plays for a club in mid-table crisis mode and the other plays for a juggernaut that guarantees massive opportunities and tallies. No vaguely authoritative source would agree with your claim: e.g. Ballon D'Or/FIFA rankings (Kane in the top ten finalists for the third year running), EA's FIFA player ratings (both on 89, top ten forwards), FIFPro (WIX 2), FPA etc.

I prefer to let the individual stats and achievements speak for themselves. You don't score 16 goals in 21 CL matches in an unremarkable team without having something special. Only two people have ever reached 15 CL goals in fewer games than Kane and they both beat him to that milestone by a single game. And neither of them was Lewa (or Aguero, for that matter).

People now call the "one season wonder" jokes trite but underneath it all, for some of them at least, seems to be an ongoing kernel of unironic truth - - a layer of perpetual doubt surrounding Kane that other players just aren't subjected to and that I'm not sure will disappear entirely until after he retires.

If Kane makes the right decisions and things go the way they should, I fully expect his individual stats to reflect a career on par with Lewa's by the time they've both hung up their boots.

[1] Partly because of his deeper role leaving him in a playmaking position behind one or two others (including Son who really should've done better) and mostly because of Son's new selfishness. Kane should've had at least one when Son chose to shoot from a <30° angle instead of making a 4 yard square pass. Son is Spurs' de facto striker in terms of current positions and roles, yet he has less than half of Kane's tally for the season and should really be catching a lot more flak than he is. Or to put it another way: if Son hadn't scored from one of his five or six shots last night, he'd be getting torn apart by the fans right now.

Last edited:

Andersonson

Being a WC winner doesnt make you world class. And to quote our former captain, Keane. " To be world class, you need to be consistent "

For me , Kane is a much better player than Pogba, we should be all over this transfer. A world class enligshman, they dont come around that often

Irrational.

He was stupid signing that long contract. There is no way Levy sells him, let alone to us. He is now one of football's unbuyables, which is a shame for him as he's unlikely to win any significant trophies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He still makes a good point regarding Kane

Eric7C

That's just seems like a massive retcon after seeing their two teams go head to head. Kane didn't get a clear chance all game[1] and strikers don't ship 7 goals. If Kane was playing for Bayern in that game, he would've scored more too. Those Lewa shots into the bottom corner are Kane's bread and butter.

I don't see a problem with the opinion that Lewa is better than Kane. I consider them both top 3 strikers alongside Aguero. But to claim that there's a big difference is just silly to me, particularly when one plays for a club in mid-table crisis mode and the other plays for a juggernaut that guarantees massive opportunities and tallies. No vaguely authoritative source would agree with your claim: e.g. Ballon D'Or/FIFA rankings (Kane in the top ten finalists for the third year running), EA's FIFA player ratings (both on 89, top ten forwards), FIFPro (WIX 2), FPA etc.

I prefer to let the individual stats and achievements speak for themselves. You don't score 16 goals in 21 CL matches in an unremarkable team without having something special. Only two people have ever reached 15 CL goals in fewer games than Kane and they both beat him to that milestone by a single game. And neither of them was Lewa (or Aguero, for that matter).

People now call the "one season wonder" jokes trite but underneath it all, for some of them at least, seems to be an ongoing kernel of unironic truth - - a layer of perpetual doubt surrounding Kane that other players just aren't subjected to and that I'm not sure will disappear entirely until after he retires.

If Kane makes the right decisions and things go the way they should, I fully expect his individual stats to reflect a career on par with Lewa's by the time they've both hung up their boots.

[1] Partly because of his deeper role leaving him in a playmaking position behind one or two others (including Son who really should've done better) and mostly because of Son's new selfishness. Kane should've had at least one when Son chose to shoot from a <30° angle instead of making a 4 yard square pass. Son is Spurs' de facto striker in terms of current positions and roles, yet he has less than half of Kane's tally for the season and should really be catching a lot more flak than he is. Or to put it another way: if Son hadn't scored from one of his five or six shots last night, he'd be getting torn apart by the fans right now.
I am not at all arguing that Kane is not a good player - he is a great player, but he is not at the level of Lewandowski who is actually past his prime right now. Also, this is not based on Tuesday's game but seeing Lewa over the years. The kind of turn and shot he conjured day is what he has done season after season; it's the kind of shot that takes even defenders by surprise and they have no time to react. Kane is not on that level - he is a more conventional center-forward who needs a little more time and space to work his stuff.

Also, FIFA rankings are never a reliable method to guage the quality of a player. The less said of EA ("Rashford 83") the better.

EDIT: Also, where is this idea of Spurs being an unremarkable team coming from? They reached the CL finals last season and have finished in the top 4 for three seasons running. They have superb players like Son and Eriksen and Alli (who was very good till recently). Just because they are having a meltdown under Poch and Levy at the moment does not mean that they have been anything but good in recent seasons.