Rio Ferdinand advises Harry Kane to move on

passing-wind

More media hype. Spurs are in a funny situation, there's clearly something behind the scenes that needs to be fixed. Their recent form extending from last season looks worse on paper in comparison to what has sustained itself in reality. They qualified for Europe and reached the UCL final last season. Less than 10 games into the new season they are 1 point off top four and somehow are on the brink of liquidation judging by the reaction amoung fans and media.

I don't know what's the more damning delusion, people seeing spurs as being in such a dire state or having faith in a relegation standard manager to run the biggest club in the country. I'd much rather have spurs issues right now then our own.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'd agree but that dream died after the Poch+Kane era officially ended on Tuesday night. I don't see a way back for Spurs that doesn't involve selfishly wasting the rest of Kane's career on a painful, trophyless rebuild.
If he wants to leave he can leave? What re you talking about?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yawn - the media in general have been selling all our best players for the last 5 years. It's unbearable.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's past it. Looks slow, never recovered from his ankle issues and half his goals are penalties.

3 years ago he was a force of nature but fortunately those days are long gone, but he is a cautionary tale of how you should never rush back from persistent niggles and injuries... Ehm
I know it's sad that he is finished now. Only 7 goals scored in 9 matches so far this season for club and 6 in 6 for England. Bloody terrible player now, really sad.

Supports
England
If he wants to leave he can leave? What re you talking about?
You think Levy is going to let him leave at a price that will allow him to go where he wants? We're talking about the man who lost out on offloading Wanyama over an extra two million. And now he's probably going to take a bigger loss on the sale in the future.

For years, I bought into the idea that Levy was a shrewd negotiator but I've come to believe that he's just too greedy for his own good, which is doubtless harming Spurs' ability to sell their dead weight.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You think Levy is going to let him leave at a price that will allow him to go where he wants? We're talking about the man who lost out on offloading Wanyama over an extra two million. And now he's probably going to take a bigger loss on the sale in the future.

For years, I bought into the idea that Levy was a shrewd negotiator but I've come to believe that he's just too greedy for his own good, which is doubtless harming Spurs' ability to sell their dead weight.
His reputation bizzarely shot to godlike status because he "told big bad Roman no" when we wanted Luka Modric.

He's a weird one, sometimes I look at him and think he's very good other times I look at him and think what a prat (like in that Waynama situation you mention).

INeedAbsynthe

Supports
Liverpool
I know it sounds insane given his constant brilliant goal numbers every season but I honestly don’t think he’s anywhere near world class and would be horribly exposed if he got his crazy money move.

If he moved to let’s say Madrid I can see him coming back with his tail in between his legs registering single digits.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given the situation at Spurs a lot of pundits are saying Harry Kane should start thinking about his future so while admittedly on the face of things Kane wouldn't be exactly be upgrading his chances of major silverware by swapping Spurs for us does anyone think we'd have a chance of signing him if he were to let it be known he wanted a new challenge or would a combination of the price, the player himself and Levy mean such a transfer would be impossible?

dev1l

Kane can cost up to 200 m which means spending the entire budget on 1 player when we need 3 or 4.

edcunited1878

If Kane were to leave Spurs, he'd probably go to City, Real Madrid or Bayern. Those would be good fits for him, but not sure personally/family wise. Don't think he has the mentality nor emotional strength to move abroad.

If United sold Pogba and bought Kane, Fraser, a central mid to partner with McTominay, they would be CL qualifiers again. Another couple of years upgrading on an attacking midfielder and left back could see United challenge for the league...but still not completely sold about Ole and his coaching staff being able to navigate an entire league campaign, so a change of manager could be the difference in being a legitimate contender for the league if United recruit and develop well in the next two to three years.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Merson now is saying Kane should leave. I doubt he will, no one will pay the huge fee Spurs will most likely ask for him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we already have the Lukaku money set aside to buy a striker and end up selling Pogba next summer, financially this wouldn't have to prevent us from strengthening key areas further. Convincing him is probably impossible - maybe hiring a top DoF and seriously go for other top targets concurrently would show we've turned a corner.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Why would he come here? We are an even bigger mess than Spurs.
That and no chance of winning the league and no European football. Wouldn't make sense. Why do people listen to ex players and pundits when they tell players to leave their own clubs for their own agendas. It's obvious Ferdinand wants Kane at united.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We have a chance of signing him, as much as some can't see past their nose.

1. He might not want to live abroad.
2. There's not many teams that can afford him and will pay the big wages.
3. We can sell the rebuild that he'd be a big part of.

Worst comes to worst he gets more money and doesn't win anything, so it beats Spurs right off the bat, which is where he'd probably spend his whole career if things were all rosy there.

dbs235

If Kane were to leave Spurs, he'd probably go to City, Real Madrid or Bayern. Those would be good fits for him, but not sure personally/family wise. Don't think he has the mentality nor emotional strength to move abroad.

If United sold Pogba and bought Kane, Fraser, a central mid to partner with McTominay, they would be CL qualifiers again. Another couple of years upgrading on an attacking midfielder and left back could see United challenge for the league...but still not completely sold about Ole and his coaching staff being able to navigate an entire league campaign, so a change of manager could be the difference in being a legitimate contender for the league if United recruit and develop well in the next two to three years.
What's that based on?

prateik

Our best hope would be :
No other top club (Madrid, Bayern) want him or cant afford him.
Spurs are open to cashing in.
He is open to a sideways move with some hope .. maybe .. of us getting is together at some point... or at the very least make more money and a change from Spurs.

Would love to see it happen.. Not holding my breath.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I know it sounds insane given his constant brilliant goal numbers every season but I honestly don’t think he’s anywhere near world class and would be horribly exposed if he got his crazy money move.

If he moved to let’s say Madrid I can see him coming back with his tail in between his legs registering single digits.
Wow, interesting take. Why do you say that?

Jericho

Could be wrong, but I think he'll spend his entire career at Spurs.

Gazza

Based on nothing, I think he’ll do what Teddy did and wait till he’s 31 before leaving somewhere to pick up a few trophies before coming home to Spurs.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

Given he also generally looks one of the few world class players on the pitch for the English team I am not sure how you came about this conclusion. Also given Spurs are no where near the level of someone like a Madrid. And Kane posts these types of goal scoring numbers at fecking Spurs, I think he would be banging them in for fun at RM.

And he should probably move there end of this season, what is prime for a striker, 26-30? Spend four to five years at Madrid, pick up some trophies, make a lot of dosh. Return to Spurs to play as backup to whoever their young striker happens to be.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The last contract he signed really has made it difficult for him. I can't see any club spending the amount of money it would cost to make Spurs sell, so the most likely result would have been that he stays there until he's got one year on his contract and then Spurs sell for a more reasonable amount (or lose him for a free the following year). But his new contract keeps him there until 2024 so he'll be 30 by the time it's down to one year left.

I think the most likely scenario now is that he either stays there for his entire career or leaves late on for one final pay-check or trophy-push for a couple of years. I just don't see Spurs selling him until then.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think Kane's too close to Spurs now, he will find it hard to leave unless they really piss him off or he actually grows an ambitious bone.

Apokalips

Why sell Pogba to get Kane? He's the guy Kane would benefit most from and vice versa. I can't imagine Kane wanting to join if we got rid of our only creative passer.

We need to keep Pogba, add another midfielder to share creative burden and get forwards with great movement and then we'll see chance creation rise. Look how many chances Zlatan's movement and Pogba's passing created. Selling Pogba is counter productive.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It does sound insane. Have you seen the standard of his passing this season? He is consistently England's best passer and also the best at Spurs - that's ignoring his incredible goal scoring record.

charlenefan

Worst comes to worst he gets more money and doesn't win anything, so it beats Spurs right off the bat, which is where he'd probably spend his whole career if things were all rosy there.
This is my thinking as well

6 months ago when everything was rosy at Spurs it was quite conceivable that Kane would stay regardless of success now though with a new manager possibly coming in, 3 first choice players out of contract in the summer, how long before someone like Alli starts kicking up a fuss? Kane might start questioning things and I dont think it's a given that someone like Real Madrid would want him

It's like the Sancho thread, everyone assumes all our rivals will want these same players as us and are willing to pay the same amount as we are when the reality is they may want them but very few are willing to pay what we are

Both Kane and Sancho would be marketing dreams for the Glazers and Woodward, they'd absolutely pay what it takes if they were willing to come

Enigma_87

You know who

You need some snake oil merchants to be able to do that. 14th in the table scoring once in a week, fair to say that rebuild we are on is going one way.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
He is good in a small club where he is a main man where things are built around him. Will he be able to do that in the biggest stages like RM barca or Juve?
It must be killing him to know that he may never find out.

Josep Dowling

If he didn’t support the club then maybe he should think about it.

Next question is who needs him and who can actually afford his transfer fee. He’s going to cost £200m, only Real Madrid, PSG and City could afford him. Before anyone says United why would Kane move to us for ambition reasons?

charlenefan

If he didn’t support the club then maybe he should think about it.

Next question is who needs him and who can actually afford his transfer fee. He’s going to cost £200m, only Real Madrid, PSG and City could afford him. Before anyone says United why would Kane move to us for ambition reasons?
City will never pay 200m for a player

In fact thus far the only side who's proven to go to those levels are PSG

Castia

Think he will retire at Spurs, not much chance of him moving on in my opinion.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You need some snake oil merchants to be able to do that. 14th in the table scoring once in a week, fair to say that rebuild we are on is going one way.
We won't be 14th if we buy well. Woodward has already said changes have been made in recruitment, so fingers crossed it's actually true.