Rio Ferdinand interviews Chicharito

GiddyUp

Around the same time as Mr. Thesearefacts McDealwithit
It seems you are more excited about a Phil Jones testimonial than he is. My opinion is that Jones has been a waste of a wage and squad number for 95% of his time at this club.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It seems you are more excited about a Phil Jones testimonial than he is. My opinion is that Jones has been a waste of a wage and squad number for 95% of his time at this club.
Be that as it may, he does qualify for a testimonial. And again, the proceeds to go charity. But he's not having one, so there's no discussion here.

hmchan

Welbeck had a good all round game and fantastic workrate. To put it in FM jargon, a good defensive forward. We were however talking about the finishing aspect to his and Hernandez’s game where you clearly said Welbeck was better. Which is clearly wrong.
There are two different arguments that I don't agree in this thread. The first one is that someone said the overwhelming majority would pick Chicharito over Welbeck. Fact is, Fergie, Moyes and van Gaal (in the short period where both were still in the team) all put Welbeck over Chicharito in the pecking order. While you may argue all three professional managers are clueless, I prefer to think that the overwhelming majority is wrong.

Another argument I disagree is that Chicharito was a better finisher than Welbeck. This is a contorversial one as Chicharito clearly scored more goals tham Welbeck. But as some have suggested above, finishing is different from poaching. When you talk about finishing, you look at the shooting technique, how the goals are scored etc. Chicharito seemed sidefooting the shots all the time, and most of his goals were simple tap ins. Welbeck wasn't a great finisher either, but at least he demonstrated variois techniques (lobbed shots, laces shots outside the box) and scored from various scenarios. In this sense, I regard Welbeck as a slightly better finisher than Chicharito.

stevoc

He didn't freeze him out, he wanted a starting position, same as Welbeck. Both not good enough for that, only squad players.

Rafael and Nani were no loss either, inconsistency par excellence. Neither of them showed anything since leaving us, that is the unfortunate truth
Their replacements were worse which is also unfortunately true.

stevoc

Doesn't matter what team we had after, none of them were starting quality and they were rightfully sold.

Remind me again what they have done after getting sold?
It does matter when they were replaced with inferior players. What did their replacements do after being brought in?

Nani, Hernandez and Rafael were better players than the dross that replaced them. Who did we have in Van Gaal's time that was better?

Certainly not Darmian, Depay or Falcao.

izec

Their replacements were worse which is also unfortunately true.
Yeah, but letting him go was the right decision nonetheless. Getting rid of average players is always the right decision. Same with DWelbz. Not replacing them better can happen, but we should always strive for improvement.

People are far too emotionally attached to these squad players that wanted to leave for more game time. Once Fergie went, they dropped down in performances. Chicharito was talking nonsense on instagram for quite a while and then left to find happiness.

stevoc

Yeah, but letting him go was the right decision nonetheless. Getting rid of average players is always the right decision. Same with DWelbz. Not replacing them better can happen, but we should always strive for improvement.

People are far too emotionally attached to these squad players that wanted to leave for more game time. Once Fergie went, they dropped down in performances. Chicharito was talking nonsense on instagram for quite a while and then left to find happiness.
It wasn’t the right decision at all if we weren’t going to improve upon them they were sold needlessly. And you could argue Hernandez was and would have been a squad player under LVG but not the other two. Both would have played regularly and we’d have been a better team for it.

But both Nani and Rafael had a quality that Van Gaal seemingly didn’t like. Both took risks in an effort to try to create things. Louis much preferred his players to retain possession at all costs even if it meant doing feck all with the ball.

mancan92

There are two different arguments that I don't agree in this thread. The first one is that someone said the overwhelming majority would pick Chicharito over Welbeck. Fact is, Fergie, Moyes and van Gaal (in the short period where both were still in the team) all put Welbeck over Chicharito in the pecking order. While you may argue all three professional managers are clueless, I prefer to think that the overwhelming majority is wrong.

Another argument I disagree is that Chicharito was a better finisher than Welbeck. This is a contorversial one as Chicharito clearly scored more goals tham Welbeck. But as some have suggested above, finishing is different from poaching. When you talk about finishing, you look at the shooting technique, how the goals are scored etc. Chicharito seemed sidefooting the shots all the time, and most of his goals were simple tap ins. Welbeck wasn't a great finisher either, but at least he demonstrated variois techniques (lobbed shots, laces shots outside the box) and scored from various scenarios. In this sense, I regard Welbeck as a slightly better finisher than Chicharito.
Then you literally never watched either of them play. It's not even slightly a debate. Welbeck got in because of his ability on the ball not his finishing touch.