Rio Ferdinand interviews Chicharito

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The goal they're on about is the first one here: https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/465848

Looks exactly like an NFL wide receiver making space for himself.
Something unexpected in that clip

"What a fantastic Manchester United goal, and the credit surely goes to Phil Jones"

Man I hope he gets a testimonial. It's one thing that he gets a LOT of warranted criticism, but he's been here since forever and he's never complained about anything. For all his faults he's always been an absolute class act.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He needs service. He did well when he left.
He had a lot of chances but people are completely rewritting history to suit their agenda.
The game vs Club Brugge was the final nail in the coffin. One of the worst striker performances in the last 10 years
Missed numerous chances, his first touch was letting him down and then he had the balls to take the penalty which he then also missed and the LvG Giggs meme was born.

Judas

Open to offers
Good player for awhile, had no issue with him going, it was the right time, he'd served his purpose and he'd looked a shadow of the player he was for ages. Think it's a certain age group that idolise him and go overboard on the praise for him.

hmchan

He had a lot of chances but people are completely rewritting history to suit their agenda.
The game vs Club Brugge was the final nail in the coffin. One of the worst striker performances in the last 10 years
Missed numerous chances, his first touch was letting him down and then he had the balls to take the penalty which he then also missed and the LvG Giggs meme was born.
True. Chicharito had been given plenty of chances to prove himself, more often than not he let people down. He proved many times that he wasn't capable to be a regular starter with his poor centre forward play, yet he still moaned about being a sub week in week out. Didn't miss him at all when he left.

Zen

Sentimental overration is alive and kicking ... the titles Fergie won in 10-11 and 12-13 were down to mostly... Fergie, miraculous title wins, and bare in mind you are obscene 4-4 with Everton meltdown or loss to relegation flirting Wigan away from a three in a row. Goddamn.

Mind you, English football was massively behind as you could see in the CL - Utd final & Chelsea's greatest fluke aside, English sides were mostly embarrassed.

Canagel

Loved him. Deadly deadly striker.

LVG thanks for freezing out Chicharito, Rafael and Nani. They were better than the shite LVG played.

His goals per minute ratio is impressive.
They were not good enough and were rightly sold

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Limited player in a lot of ways and a type of striker a lot of coaches would find tricky to fit in tactically. So I had no issues with him being sold really.

I do have a fondness for those goal poaching strikers who have the knack of being in the right place though. Plus he was a likeable guy.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Who was the better player for us, Chicharito or Saha?
Saha. I liked Chicha but Saha was levels above. But for injuries Saha would have been World class in my opinion.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

"What a fantastic Manchester United goal, and the credit surely goes to Phil Jones"

Man I hope he gets a testimonial. It's one thing that he gets a LOT of warranted criticism, but he's been here since forever and he's never complained about anything. For all his faults he's always been an absolute class act.
:houllier:

What the feck? You do realise he was on average on at least 100k a week in last ten years here, and he did feck all in that time, who would complain about that,

He isn't supposed to complain, he drives a fecking Lamborghini Urus and plays about 20 games a season, in a team that is underperforming for years anyway. Everywhere else he would a goner long time ago, and yet you dare to say that he gets a testimonial.

ROFLUTION

I remember his reverse header at Stoke. My reaction was wtf just happened?. Didn't even know it was possible to score such a goal.

Good little player who gave everything for the club. Will be remembered fondly for his time here.
That's the one and against Chelsea too that springs to mind. Amazing finisher and great strength of character. Solskjær was more rounded, but Chicha was our Solskjær of the 2010s

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
True. Chicharito had been given plenty of chances to prove himself, more often than not he let people down. He proved many times that he wasn't capable to be a regular starter with his poor centre forward play, yet he still moaned about being a sub week in week out. Didn't miss him at all when he left.
I'm with you on this. I also didn't consider him a top finisher as many have stated in his thread. Thought his finishing was pretty scruffy tbh. The only exceptional quality he had in my eyes was his movement. Wasn't overly fussed when he left. Didn't have anywhere the overall quality required to be our starting central striker. Useful option off the bench - no more than that for me.

manutddjw

Weird reading some of the comments in this thread. He wasn’t the most skillful player, but he contributed a lot in his time here despite never being a guaranteed starter.

Funny that posters would get lambasted for criticizing Lingard or Fellaini because they gave their all and were good squad players and Hernandez who actually scored goals and won us points in title winning seasons is overrated.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm with you on this. I also didn't consider him a top finisher as many have stated in his thread. Thought his finishing was pretty scruffy tbh. The only exceptional quality he had in my eyes was his movement. Wasn't overly fussed when he left. Didn't have anywhere the overall quality required to be our starting central striker. Useful option off the bench - no more than that for me.
I agree, I think he’s overrated based on playing in a great team with some fantastic players. He’s also a highly likeable character as well which tends to alter people’s views. Overall, it was the right time to get rid and he never proved us wrong elsewhere.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
:houllier:

What the feck? You do realise he was on average on at least 100k a week in last ten years here, and he did feck all in that time, who would complain about that,

He isn't supposed to complain, he drives a fecking Lamborghini Urus and plays about 20 games a season, in a team that is underperforming for years anyway. Everywhere else he would a goner long time ago, and yet you dare to say that he gets a testimonial.
Phil Jones has: 27 International matches for England. 233 matches for Manchester United (All club stages, including reserves and U21). He has 163 Premier League appearances for the club between 11/12 and 18/19. He only lost his squad position this year. On that note there is every chance he can fully reclaim any form he had, he's only 28 despite having been here forever. Phil Jones has on top of everything won the Premier League as a regular starter, the Europa League and FA cup.

I think you misundertand what the testimonial is about. It's a charity event where the ticketsales are donated to a charity of the players choosing. It does also serve as a celebration of the players career, a chance for him to say goodbye to the loyal home crowd, but primarily it's a charity drive.

Thing is, it doesn't matter what you might feel about it. If Phil Jones is at the club by June 2021, he is eligible to have a Manchester United testimonial after having been at the club for a full decade. Testimonials are for players with a especially long club career, something Phil Jones absolutely has had.

But hey, no need to worry. He already knows that grown men can't be trusted to behave like adults, so he already turned the offer of a testimonial from the club down last year, since he was certain that no one would show up besides his parents. Imagine that, giving your best career years to the most passionate football fans in England, and not feeling like you are worthy of a charity game after a decade at the club.

There is a lot of warranted criticism for Jones' footballing contributions the past years, but you can also feel free to take into account the presence in the player group, and in that regard he has never opened his mouth and complained about a thing. I'm surprised that isnt appreciated, considering just how mental this place went when Pogba dared to say "Maybe its time for a new challenge".

Either way, Phil Jones has been a Manchester United regular for nearly 10 years straight. He's achieved more as a player than most ever will.

I'm sorry if this opinion somehow offends you.

Canagel

Ah yes and we became a much better team as a result.
Doesn't matter what team we had after, none of them were starting quality and they were rightfully sold.

Remind me again what they have done after getting sold?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Who was the better player for us, Chicharito or Saha?
Without the injuries it would almost certainly have been Saha but the answer to the question is Chicharito. His 10/11 season edges Saha’s calendar year of 2006 and when you also consider how good Hernandez was in 12/13 he is clear of Saha for me for contribution to United.

The thing is, he may have done more for United but Saha was a better footballer and as I say, without the injuries I think would have been a top player for United for many years.

hmchan

Agree. Chicharito missed plenty of golden chances, mainly down to his poor technique. He wasted so many 1-on-1s because he lacked the ability and composure to go round or lob the keeper. Frankly Welbeck was a better finisher than him.

SoCross

Agree. Chicharito missed plenty of golden chances, mainly down to his poor technique. He wasted so many 1-on-1s because he lacked the ability and composure to go round or lob the keeper. Frankly Welbeck was a better finisher than him.
Welbeck a better finisher? Oh dear.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

Yeah I know it isn't his thread but credit to Jones for never piping up or mouthing off in the press during all his time here and the periods of very strong criticism he's faced

SoCross

I can't think of a worse finisher in the history of the club than Welbeck.
Same. I’m struggling to think of another striker we’ve had in modern times who was a worse finisher than Welbeck. Unless it’s someone like Dong but that’s such a low bar! Unbelievable post.

hmchan

Same. I’m struggling to think of another striker we’ve had in modern times who was a worse finisher than Welbeck. Unless it’s someone like Dong but that’s such a low bar! Unbelievable post.
Welbeck was a terrible finisher when he first broke into the first team. But he worked hard and he improved a lot after that. Just look at how he placed his shots and dinked the ball over the keeper by 13/14, a poor finisher could never do that. It's a shame people stick to the label and refuse to appreciate his effort.

facund

Welbeck was a terrible finisher when he first broke into the first team. But he worked hard and he improved a lot after that. Just look at how he placed his shots and dinked the ball over the keeper by 13/14, a poor finisher could never do that. It's a shame people stick to the label and refuse to appreciate his effort.

Next hit on whichever pipe you are smoking :confused:
Is this the same Danny Welbeck that failed to register double figures in any PL season? The same Welbeck that seemed to inexplicably go weak at the knees when he entered the box?

I was and am still fond of Danny, he is from the area I grew up, and he showed the odd flash of underlying technique, but a finisher he is not.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Hernandez set the national team scoring record for Mexico. This is his club record:

Liga X: 132 minutes per goal (Guadalajara)
Premier League: 130.6 mpg at United and 186.5 mpg at West Ham
La Liga: 122.4 mpg at Real Madrid and 446 mpg at Sevilla
Bundesliga: 142.46 mpg (Leverkusen)
Mexico: 140.9 mpg

For some comparison Michael Owen's mpg record in the PL was 153.4 and in La Liga 144.46 so worse on both accounts. Anelka was 223.5 in the PL and 576.5 in La Liga. Gary Lineker's was 119mpg in PL and 203.5 in La Liga.

To get a feel for what the best are scoring, Lewandowski's record in the Bundesliga is 109.5 mpg which might be the best ever or at least close and Agüero is 106.9 mpg which at least was the best ever in the PL, Salah might have pipped it. Both of those strikers are the same age as Hernandez but obviously better strikers.

To pick a few players compared to him at United whilst they were here:
Welbeck: 253.3 mpg
Saha: 180 mpg
Solskjær: 151.5 mpg
Berbatov: 153.5 mpg

The strikers after him:
Martial: 206.3
Rashford: 209.6
Lukaku: 178.5
Falcao: 321.5

For the record the United player with the best mpg record was RvN with 128.2. He's also the only United player with a better mpg ratio than Hernandez in the PL era (Hernandez is top 20 I think).

I'm not posting this to compare Hernandez as a footballer to other players because there are a lot of factors at play here. What these stats do show is how objectively good Hernandez was at scoring goals. That's it. He talks about himself as a certain kind of player and there are arguements that the "modern striker" needs to do more than score goals, which does have some merit, but to try and say that he wasn't a good forward and that he wasn't rated by any manager is just complete bollocks. It's hard to score goals in football, the game is about scoring more goals than the opponent and Hernandez was good at scoring goals. He scored them in 4 different leagues and the international stage. He's a rare specimen.

fps

Hernandez set the national team scoring record for Mexico. This is his club record:

For some comparison Michael Owen's mpg record in the PL was 153.4 and in La Liga 144.46 so worse on both accounts. Anelka was 223.5 in the PL and 576.5 in La Liga. Gary Lineker's was 119mpg in PL and 203.5 in La Liga.

To get a feel for what the best are scoring, Lewandowski's record in the Bundesliga is 109.5 mpg which might be the best ever or at least close and Agüero is 106.9 mpg which at least was the best ever in the PL, Salah might have pipped it. Both of those strikers are the same age as Hernandez but obviously better strikers.

The strikers after him:

For the record the United player with the best mpg record was RvN with 128.2. He's also the only United player with a better mpg ratio than Hernandez in the PL era (Hernandez is top 20 I think).

I'm not posting this to compare Hernandez as a footballer to other players because there are a lot of factors at play here. What these stats do show is how objectively good Hernandez was at scoring goals. That's it. He talks about himself as a certain kind of player and there are arguements that the "modern striker" needs to do more than score goals, which does have some merit, but to try and say that he wasn't a good forward and that he wasn't rated by any manager is just complete bollocks. It's hard to score goals in football, the game is about scoring more goals than the opponent and Hernandez was good at scoring goals. He scored them in 4 different leagues and the international stage. He's a rare specimen.
You’ve hit on it, the “modern striker” issue. He would have been dynamite especially in a mobile 2 or even a little and large 2 in the late 90s to early 00s.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Doesn't matter what team we had after, none of them were starting quality and they were rightfully sold.

Remind me again what they have done after getting sold?
Nani won the Euros.

Chicharito went to Real for a loan then did well in Germany. West Ham was a terrible move for him.

Rafael has had injury issues which is why he is still at Lyon.

They were all better players than most if the shit we've seen since 2014.

Web of Bissaka

Wouldn't describe his finishing to be top level, but his ability to get goals inside the box though is just too good, team just need to cross the ball into the box (quality of crosses doesn't matter) and he'll nick it in goals.

Finishing and Poaching are two different things.

His performances and threats declined later on when he lost his venom speed and wild agility. He became too stationary, no longer dynamic.

padzilla

Hipster
Is anyone questioning Welbeck's effort? If anything, that was what kept him at the club for so long. The fact was he didn't have the necessary quality to back up his hard work and effort. Yes he had the occasional good finish, but the enduring memory of Welbeck was of a striker who was unreliable and ended up playing out in wider positions because he offered next to no goal threat but would work hard and was disciplined and could put in a shift. A great guy with a quality attitude but given the choice between him and Hernandez up front I think the overwhelming majority of people would opt for the Mexican. Welbeck was capable of scoring extraordinary goals, no question, but sadly he was more likely to screw up simple chances at big moments in key games than most.

hmchan

The strikers after him:

Yes, Chicharito was good at scoring goals, that's it and you've said it yourself. This had nothing to do with whether he's a good forward or rated by managers at all. Fact is, he had played under 9 different managers in club level from 2010 to 2020, among them only Schmidt and Bilic considered him as a regular starter despite his incredible scoring record. It seems even professional managers don't value his minutes per goal stat after all.

hmchan

Is anyone questioning Welbeck's effort? If anything, that was what kept him at the club for so long. The fact was he didn't have the necessary quality to back up his hard work and effort. Yes he had the occasional good finish, but the enduring memory of Welbeck was of a striker who was unreliable and ended up playing out in wider positions because he offered next to no goal threat but would work hard and was disciplined and could put in a shift. A great guy with a quality attitude but given the choice between him and Hernandez up front I think the overwhelming majority of people would opt for the Mexican. Welbeck was capable of scoring extraordinary goals, no question, but sadly he was more likely to screw up simple chances at big moments in key games than most.
Then I'm sorry to say the overwhelming majority of people don't know football at all. When both Welbeck and Chicharito were available, Fergie, Moyes and van Gaal all picked the former as the starting option.

Speaking of screwing up simple chances, Chicharito was equally wasteful in front of goal, it's just that no one paid attention to his horrendous misses when he played for Mexico. You may go to YouTube if interested.

padzilla

Hipster
Then I'm sorry to say the overwhelming majority of people don't know football at all. When both Welbeck and Chicharito were available, Fergie, Moyes and van Gaal all picked the former as the starting option.

Speaking of screwing up simple chances, Chicharito was equally wasteful in front of goal, it's just that no one paid attention to his horrendous misses when he played for Mexico. You may go to YouTube if interested.
Thanks for coming down from your high horse to tell all of those who don't agree with you they don't "know football at all". We're lucky to have you here to keep us all right. The 14 goals Welbeck scored compared to the 30 that Hernandez scored in seven less games in the two seasons both played under Fergie really backs up your argument...

Last edited:

GiddyUp

Phil Jones has: 27 International matches for England. 233 matches for Manchester United (All club stages, including reserves and U21). He has 163 Premier League appearances for the club between 11/12 and 18/19. He only lost his squad position this year. On that note there is every chance he can fully reclaim any form he had, he's only 28 despite having been here forever. Phil Jones has on top of everything won the Premier League as a regular starter, the Europa League and FA cup.

I think you misundertand what the testimonial is about. It's a charity event where the ticketsales are donated to a charity of the players choosing. It does also serve as a celebration of the players career, a chance for him to say goodbye to the loyal home crowd, but primarily it's a charity drive.

Thing is, it doesn't matter what you might feel about it. If Phil Jones is at the club by June 2021, he is eligible to have a Manchester United testimonial after having been at the club for a full decade. Testimonials are for players with a especially long club career, something Phil Jones absolutely has had.

But hey, no need to worry. He already knows that grown men can't be trusted to behave like adults, so he already turned the offer of a testimonial from the club down last year, since he was certain that no one would show up besides his parents. Imagine that, giving your best career years to the most passionate football fans in England, and not feeling like you are worthy of a charity game after a decade at the club.

There is a lot of warranted criticism for Jones' footballing contributions the past years, but you can also feel free to take into account the presence in the player group, and in that regard he has never opened his mouth and complained about a thing. I'm surprised that isnt appreciated, considering just how mental this place went when Pogba dared to say "Maybe its time for a new challenge".

Either way, Phil Jones has been a Manchester United regular for nearly 10 years straight. He's achieved more as a player than most ever will.

I'm sorry if this opinion somehow offends you.
What time is Phil coming around for his tea Mrs Jones?

SoCross

Yes, Chicharito was good at scoring goals, that's it and you've said it yourself. This had nothing to do with whether he's a good forward or rated by managers at all. Fact is, he had played under 9 different managers in club level from 2010 to 2020, among them only Schmidt and Bilic considered him as a regular starter despite his incredible scoring record. It seems even professional managers don't value his minutes per goal stat after all.
Welbeck had a good all round game and fantastic workrate. To put it in FM jargon, a good defensive forward. We were however talking about the finishing aspect to his and Hernandez’s game where you clearly said Welbeck was better. Which is clearly wrong.