Rio Ferdinand

kthanksbye

Rio easily the better player, anyone who says Vidic was better doesn't know what they're talking about.

Rio may have been better on the ball but as a pure defender JT was superior. And had more longevity as a top player.
The type of pure defender that thrived in a Mourinho team but would be woefully out of place in a top team nowadays, whereas Rio set the blueprint for that. Terry was Stuart Pearce on steroids. Rio was cut from the same cloth as Maldini.

Both of them seem a bit thick but Terry is a genuine piece of work.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
For context.

Rio's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Nemanja Vidic
3. Virgil van Dijk
4. Jaap Stam
5. John Terry

Van Dijk's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Vincent Kompany
3. Jaap Stam
4. John Terry
5. Sami Hyypia

LARulz

Rio out of almost all defenders we have had in the league could have played in any generation and been still at the top. He is the best

Terry was a good defender but he wouldn't be in this City team in my opinion. His footballing ability gets overlooked for his aggression but even then, you would not pick him over Rio, Vidic, Stam or VVD. I would choose any of those 4 in my starting spots over him

Dan_F

For context.

Rio's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Nemanja Vidic
3. Virgil van Dijk
4. Jaap Stam
5. John Terry

Van Dijk's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Vincent Kompany
3. Jaap Stam
4. John Terry
5. Sami Hyypia
Why is no one talking about Hyypia over Vidic :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Rio didn't have the luxury of Makelele and Essien in front of him in a deep defence, anyone remember Terry in a high line under AVB? He was awful wasn't he? (Although I might be misremembering, happy to be corrected)

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Ferdinand calls Terry a guy with a fragile ego advertising his own achievements. On the other hand, he puts himself at number 1. Not surprised though, if you hear Ferdinand's punditry you can tell he's thick.

Also mentions the Anton-Terry incident so he basically admits that he didn't separate Terry the player from Terry the person.

On the other side, you can see how mature and humble Virgil Van Dijk is, despite being the most complete defender you'll see.

Why is he a wanker for putting himself as number 1? He’s likely right too
No, he isn't. John Terry is definitely better than Rio Ferdinand. People just don't like Terry because he's a crap person but he was a monster of a defender and even Roy Keane admires how good a captain he was.

Terry is an absolute prick but let's not deny how great a defender and captain he was. Proper warrior and great on the ball too. Chipped in with important goals too.

Real Name

Ferdinand calls Terry a guy with a fragile ego advertising his own achievements. On the other hand, he puts himself at number 1. Not surprised though, if you hear Ferdinand's punditry you can tell he's thick.

Also mentions the Anton-Terry incident so he basically admits that he didn't separate Terry the player from Terry the person.

On the other side, you can see how mature and humble Virgil Van Dijk is, despite being the most complete defender you'll see.

No, he isn't. John Terry is definitely better than Rio Ferdinand. People just don't like Terry because he's a crap person but he was a monster of a defender and even Roy Keane admires how good a captain he was.

Terry is an absolute prick but let's not deny how great a defender and captain he was. Proper warrior and great on the ball too. Chipped in with important goals too.
Neutral all right. :lol:

Baneofthegame

VVD also picked Sami Hyppia over Vidic, seems legit.

Edit - That’s before mentioning Campbell/Adam’s etc.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'd have Sol Campbell as a top 5, great defender and seems right to have someone from Arsenal too.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Terry better than Rio and then you highlight his ability on the ball? :lol:

stevoc

Know you guys hate JT here but this is laughable. He’s comfortably in the top 5 CB‘s in the PL era. And certainly better than Rio.
Bear in mind your own opinion on Terry will naturally be biased mate.

I rated him but a lot of people think he was vastly overrated. From my conversations with people over the years about Terry I suspect he wouldn't make a lot of people's top 5's or even top 10 as I said.

Chief123

Know you guys hate JT here but this is laughable. He’s comfortably in the top 5 CB‘s in the PL era. And certainly better than Rio.
The only post I’ve read laughable so far is this one mate. Terry better than Rio? That’s hilarious.

Real Name

Just because I have a different opinion than yours? Ok.

What does not supporting an European team have to do with an opinion on who's the better CB?
Mentioning how thick Rio and connecting that with him putting himself as nr. 1 and why is VVD humble, cause of that list?
Terry was good on ball you say, did you ever watch Rio?

BerryBerryShrew

Stats really capture very little for defenders. McGrath and Stam were better than both Rio and Terry and I reckon an argument could be made for Sol too (he was basically Terry with pace). I would say that Rio was better than Terry though.

Unless I'm missing something about the rules it was noticeably classy of Van Dijk to omit himself from his own list.

LM7

Supports
chelsea
The only post I’ve read laughable so far is this one mate. Terry better than Rio? That’s hilarious.
Jess, you guys are thick. It's okay to admit the the truth even though you are a united fan. Terry was head and shoulders above Rio. In his fifth league title at age 35, he played every single minute of that premier league campaign while Rio was being embarassed at QPR. Is it a coincidence that before the Guardiola era, terry has one of the highest win percentages? Oh and before you say that he played for a defensive Mourinho team, I must remind you that he played for about 3 years before Mourinho Joined and that was included in calculating his win percentage. We can all agree that Terry is a crap human being. But we need to take off our red tinted glasses and admit that he is one hell of a defender.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Brilliant defender but I’d argue that chelsea on average played more defensive football than Rio did at United which boosts his stats. He is top 5 but I’d take Rio, Vidic, Stam and VVD over him.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Terry better than Rio and then you highlight his ability on the ball? :lol:
Mentioning how thick Rio and connecting that with him putting himself as nr. 1 and why is VVD humble, cause of that list?
Terry was good on ball you say, did you ever watch Rio?
Rio's ability on the ball is well known. I mentioned that about Terry because people don't talk much about that part of his game. With Rio, everyone knows how good he was on the ball.

VVD comes across as humble because he omits himself from his top 5 and even tries to stop Ferdinand when he puts VVD at 3.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Personally, I think Rio's list is absolutely bang on. Rio and Vidic are the best defenders in Premier League history hands down. He doesn't include the overrated Kompany which is correct as well. I might shuffle Terry a little higher but I think Van Dyke is the better and more complete player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Rio's ability on the ball is well known. I mentioned that about Terry because people don't talk much about that part of his game. With Rio, everyone knows how good he was on the ball.

VVD comes across as humble because he omits himself from his top 5 and even tries to stop Ferdinand when he puts VVD at 3.
Clueless more like. It's not humble to leave yourself out for the sake of it ffs. Rio is easily the best Premier League CB ever and he rightly knows it.

Righteous Steps

He’s not better than Rio at all, in fact he wouldn’t do as great in the modern sides of the likes of Pep and Klopp, Rio would be the best defender in the world in all eras, that’s the big difference.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Forget who is better. They asked Rio for his opinion, he answered. Terry felt the need to go trawling the internet for graphics to prove he was better.
That's twatish behaviour.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Clueless more like. It's not humble to leave yourself out for the sake of it ffs. Rio is easily the best Premier League CB ever and he rightly knows it.
Mate, he placed hyppia at no 5 and omitted himself.
Not that I think omitting yourself from a greatest list is a sign of humbleness per se.

Okay fair enough, I might have misinterpreted your post. Terry was easily better than Cahill (and Stam) in that regard, but still ways off from Rio or VVD IMO.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hyppia :lol: feck sake

It’s like having a list of your all time top forwards, then crowbarring Sinama Pongolle on the end

Giggsyking

He is not in the same bracket as the other defenders. He knows that himself, and Hypia instead of Vidic :lol: