Rio Ferdinand

villain

Hates Beyoncé
John Terry being a cnut? Just another day ending in Y.

He's not better than Rio, he was more aggressive & brutish in the tackle and some seem to think that makes you a better defender (it doesn't).

fergies coat

Why is John Terry so bothered? But what else can you expect from a guy that gets himself sent off in a cl semi final. He nearly cost his team a place in the final because of this. He then dresses up in his full kit for that final even though he's banned, and then joins in the celebrations with his shin pads on.

The guys a cnut.

LARulz

He's not better than Rio, he was more aggressive & brutish in the tackle and some seem to think that makes you a better defender (it doesn't).
This. There is a reason Rio hardly ever got carded - he knew where to be and read the game. And he could always play it out

BerryBerryShrew

Jess, you guys are thick. It's okay to admit the the truth even though you are a united fan. Terry was head and shoulders above Rio. In his fifth league title at age 35, he played every single minute of that premier league campaign while Rio was being embarassed at QPR. Is it a coincidence that before the Guardiola era, terry has one of the highest win percentages? Oh and before you say that he played for a defensive Mourinho team, I must remind you that he played for about 3 years before Mourinho Joined and that was included in calculating his win percentage. We can all agree that Terry is a crap human being. But we need to take off our red tinted glasses and admit that he is one hell of a defender.
How does the bolded matter? At 35 years of age, Ronaldinho was just about getting games in the Mexican League. Do you think Terry was a better player than Ronaldinho too?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rio is perfectly entitled to an informed opinion. Had Terry done that shit with my brother he’d have not got a mention. Rio being the bigger man and Terry reverting to form of being a shite human.
Personally thought Carvalho was the star of Chelsea back line, but just my opinion.
In my opinion Jaap Stam was CLEARLY the best CB the EPL. Rio is 2nd, Van Dijk third, Campbell and Vidic are 4th and 5th respectively. Rio had a bit of Pogba in him. He had everything in his locker to be the best CB the EPL had ever seen but he lacked that teeny weeny application to make it happen. Let's say that the guy hated getting his shirt dirty.

devilish

Jess, you guys are thick. It's okay to admit the the truth even though you are a united fan. Terry was head and shoulders above Rio. In his fifth league title at age 35, he played every single minute of that premier league campaign while Rio was being embarassed at QPR. Is it a coincidence that before the Guardiola era, terry has one of the highest win percentages? Oh and before you say that he played for a defensive Mourinho team, I must remind you that he played for about 3 years before Mourinho Joined and that was included in calculating his win percentage. We can all agree that Terry is a crap human being. But we need to take off our red tinted glasses and admit that he is one hell of a defender.
Rio's back was shot. Howson thinks that he didn't play in the United's legends because of it.

devilish

stats lie a lot. For example Sebastiano Rossi has one of the second longest clean sheet record in the Serie A. What that record doesn't say is that he had certain defenders such as Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta and Tassotti in front of him that made it happen.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

It doesn't make you a worse defender either!

(This is a defense of Vidic, who I think has a strong claim to being the best PL defender ever, despite his lack of silks)

LARulz

Good grief

Rio was absolute class. They would be a fantastic partnership, well to an extent Rio already had Vidic which was similar. But even then, of the 2 I preferred Rio because there was much more control and calmness when he played. A team needs both kinds of defenders but Rio is the one almost every team would want first - strong, fast, great positioning and rarely ever had to make last ditch tackles because it was cleaned up before. Also hardly have away fouls compared to other defenders

Man-United

What was Rio's best season for us? 07-08 for me by far but he was immense during autumn of 2003 until he got banned for 9 months. He made Silvestre look world class even

SER19

Terry is truly a raging narcissist even by professional footballer standards.

Both were top defenders, my aesthetic preference would make me pick peak ferdinand but Terry would have been as successful at United.

SER19

How does the bolded matter? At 35 years of age, Ronaldinho was just about getting games in the Mexican League. Do you think Terry was a better player than Ronaldinho too?
God you're right, i truly hate these false equivalents that fans do. Ferdinand was a world class defender for a decade, yet its not enough.

Smithy89

Terry wasn't even better than Stam, Carvalho, Kompany, Sol, King, Rio, Vidic, Adams and Virgil. Then you can genuinely debate Woodgate, Johnsen, Radebe and Desailly

Apokalips

John Terry is scum and has no issues with proving it. I wouldn't be surprised if he has no real friends from his playing days. His level of insecurity is embarrassing, it's not even as if this was some FIFA or PL hall of fame list or something.

The lack of self awareness is astounding, Rio could rightly have not even mentioned his name after he racially abused Rio's brother which led to Rio not getting the England call up, Rio and his brother both being abused by fans, bullets sent to their mother's home, etc. Rio and Anton have both shown they are bigger men than "heroic" JT. Makes that penalty miss in Moscow even sweeter.

Smithy89

1. Rio
2. Stam
3. Vidic
4. Kompany
5. Sol

Terry ain't close to any of them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why is John Terry so bothered? But what else can you expect from a guy that gets himself sent off in a cl semi final. He nearly cost his team a place in the final because of this. He then dresses up in his full kit for that final even though he's banned, and then joins in the celebrations with his shin pads on.

The guys a cnut.
Or staging an ovation for himself in the middle of a match.

TheReligion

Abusive
Know you guys hate JT here but this is laughable. He’s comfortably in the top 5 CB‘s in the PL era. And certainly better than Rio.
Ferdinand calls Terry a guy with a fragile ego advertising his own achievements. On the other hand, he puts himself at number 1. Not surprised though, if you hear Ferdinand's punditry you can tell he's thick.

Also mentions the Anton-Terry incident so he basically admits that he didn't separate Terry the player from Terry the person.

On the other side, you can see how mature and humble Virgil Van Dijk is, despite being the most complete defender you'll see.

No, he isn't. John Terry is definitely better than Rio Ferdinand. People just don't like Terry because he's a crap person but he was a monster of a defender and even Roy Keane admires how good a captain he was.

Terry is an absolute prick but let's not deny how great a defender and captain he was. Proper warrior and great on the ball too. Chipped in with important goals too.
Talking that Terry is miles better, or head and shoulders above, Rio is just daft really. They were both fantastic players with Rio being ahead of his time in terms of a more complete modern centre half and Terry capturing the classic blood and guts style whilst being vastly underrated on the ball.

Everyone has club biases but to say there’s some huge gulf either way makes you look absolutely clueless in all honesty.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The real debate is Terry or Harry Maguire.

Smithy89

Know you guys hate JT here but this is laughable. He’s comfortably in the top 5 CB‘s in the PL era. And certainly better than Rio.
BNP JT ain't the best defender you've had at your own club. Silva, Marcel and Carvalho are clear.

Chief123

You might wanna take your specs off mate because you’re embarrassing yourself. Just listen to what all the ex legends say. Hardly any of them have Terry in the conversation as one of the best. Your delusion and bias is understandable though.

captaincantona

What was the question..is it PL career or best centre half to ever play in the PL or based on their importance to their teams.? Because Terry is being criminally underrated in here. I hate the lad but he was essential to the that Chelsea sides success and he has done it over a long career in the PL. I would have both Rio and Vidic ahead of him because I’m a Utd fan. Can see why other fans would rate him higher though. VD may top the lot of them if Liverpool keep going the way they are.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
For context.

Rio's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Nemanja Vidic
3. Virgil van Dijk
4. Jaap Stam
5. John Terry

Van Dijk's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Vincent Kompany
3. Jaap Stam
4. John Terry
5. Sami Hyypia
Rio put himself at the top of his list??

Chief123

Ferdinand calls Terry a guy with a fragile ego advertising his own achievements. On the other hand, he puts himself at number 1. Not surprised though, if you hear Ferdinand's punditry you can tell he's thick.

Also mentions the Anton-Terry incident so he basically admits that he didn't separate Terry the player from Terry the person.

On the other side, you can see how mature and humble Virgil Van Dijk is, despite being the most complete defender you'll see.

No, he isn't. John Terry is definitely better than Rio Ferdinand. People just don't like Terry because he's a crap person but he was a monster of a defender and even Roy Keane admires how good a captain he was.

Terry is an absolute prick but let's not deny how great a defender and captain he was. Proper warrior and great on the ball too. Chipped in with important goals too.
So if someone is the best ever, they aren’t allowed to have the opinion that they are the best ever? That’s just plain dumb.

It’s like asking Messi in his prime who is the best player in the world and then not allowing him to put himself as number 1.

captaincantona

BNP JT ain't the best defender you've had at your own club. Silva, Marcel and Carvalho are clear.
This is rubbish. We had Laurent Blanc...based on the rest of his career...then he has to be considered one of our best CBs no? Even though he was shite for us. What is the original question?

Tony247

As a person John Terry was questionable. But he was a damn good defender.

IceManFtw

don't know what's worse, Rio putting himself 1st or Terry being offended at being 5th

surprisingly Virgil came out looking the best in this segment

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I may be wrong on this but wasn't John Terry relatively slow (Vs the likes of VVD and Rio)?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Van dijk puts fecking Hypia as 5th of all time in PL, but the real problem about those lists is that Rio puts Terry in fifth place :lol:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You can give an opinion without being a dick about it.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Young Terry, no. Older yes. But so was Rio when he got older.
Fair enough I guess my perception of him is tainted by his later years.

I didn't think he would be able to play the type of highline that a City/Liverpool play due to his pace issues but if he could then he is right up there with the best of them.

I'd still have a Rio/VVD partnership over a Rio/Terry or Terry/VVD though.

TsuWave

You need to breathe. I said I think Rio is better. I don’t know why you’re writing paragraphs about “denying Terry”, Roy Keane’s opinion of him or him being a crap person. Are you ok?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It doesn't make you a worse defender either!

(This is a defense of Vidic, who I think has a strong claim to being the best PL defender ever, despite his lack of silks)
I don't disagree, I just think that the Vidic mould is more common and therefore gets more plaudits because it's easier to identify with, especially for anyone who grew up watching the PL. And Vidic is the best at that mould that I've personally seen in the PL.
What sets Rio apart and why I'd have him above Vidic is because he did have the aggressiveness in him, especially in his younger days at Leeds, but his skillset is much rarer to find in a defender, and ultimately he wouldn't be out of place in the peak of any era from Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and of course PL. He's a better overall package, and I think he allowed Vidic to become the monster that he eventually became because of his leadership, his ability to read the game and experience in the league. Whereas I don't believe Vidic turns into the monster if he had Sylvestre next to him for example - that's not a sleight on Vidic, but rather a testament that Rio is a more naturally gifted player, whereas Vidic grew into his role over time.