"Rio meets Mourinho" - in-depth interview

Web of Bissaka

Well, that's really worth watching. Rio is a top bloke and Jose as always extremely interesting.

:drool:

Rio is a true red :devil:.

He missed the dressing room, values the stadium and club, and wow that arrogance.

:lol: "He was rubbish."
wonder who he remembers and referring to.

Nice interesting interview with Mourinho, good humbleness there by Jose.

izec

Great interview.

I found it interesting that he talked about players experiencing the pressures of having to win, I think the mentalities of his players are so much more important than for many managers. He talks about having to feel a connection with a player, sharing a winning mentality, strong work ethic, a desire to constantly look ahead and look to improve, and an ability to thrive under pressure. It makes sense that he has connected with the likes of Fellaini, Pogba, Rojo and Herrera, and it's great that Rashford shares the same mindset.

It also makes sense that we would look to sign a Griezmann over a Bernardo Silva, a Bale over a Neymar or a Nainggolan over a Barkley. He wants determination, professionalism, bravery. He wants winners.
What makes Griezmann more a winner than Bernardo Silva? Neymar is not a winnner? Bale plays through injuries?

AkaAkuma

Hmmm... Surely a great manager should be able to adjust his style to get the most out of both types of player?
Name a player from Fergies latter years who played regularly but was mentally fragile.

The reason we kept on winning season after season was that he had a core of strong willed players who could win across the season.

worldinmotion66

What makes Griezmann more a winner than Bernardo Silva? Neymar is not a winnner? Bale plays through injuries?
Griezmann has the experience of top level pressure, as well as a high work ethic and determination. I think Bernardo Silva is a little untested in this regard - the pressure has never really been on Monaco as they were never expected to win Ligue 1 or progress in the CL.

Neymar may well be a winner and he may be an exception in Jose's mind, but he seems to lack professionalism in comparison to those that Mourinho usually trusts. He obviously has coped with an extraordinary amount of pressure thus far though.

And Bale has not been allowed time to recover at his club, constantly rushed back and asked to play through the pain. I think his injuries could be an issue in Jose's mind, but his character is clear to see when he pulls on a Wales shirt. I think he has a stronger work ethic and desire to improve than Neymar, whereas the Brazilian relies more on his natural ability perhaps? I just think based on my slim knowledge of both players, Mourinho would probably prefer Bale in terms of both mentality and playing style.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

I loved the bit where Rio was in the changing room saying the thing he missed was coming in after the game, and then he repeated himself and then sat looking wistful, obviously completely lost in his memories. I do miss Rio. Class player.
For a second it looked like he'd shed a tear or two. You can easily tell how much that dressing room means to him and how he wish he was there again.

Absolutely love Rio. Great interview by Jose too.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Rio is great. His Oxford Union Q&A is a good watch as well, for those who haven't seen it.

OldTrevil

Name a player from Fergies latter years who played regularly but was mentally fragile.

The reason we kept on winning season after season was that he had a core of strong willed players who could win across the season.
Nani is a good example. Fergie was willing to sometimes adapt his methods especially if the player was extremely talented, iirc he has said this on record. I'm happy to hear Mourinho admit this weakness, the fact he is looking to try a different thing or two was my biggest take out of the interview. He may well end up just sticking to his ways but I get the feeling experience has taught him at least not to fully write off the other type of player.

el3mel

Rio is really a likable character isn't he ? I don't think the interview wouldn't have been that great if he wasn't the interviewer.

Started the video and couldn't stop watching it till the end.

AkaAkuma

Nani is a good example. Fergie was willing to sometimes adapt his methods especially if the player was extremely talented, iirc he has said this on record. I'm happy to hear Mourinho admit this weakness, the fact he is looking to try a different thing or two was my biggest take out of the interview. He may well end up just sticking to his ways but I get the feeling experience has taught him at least not to fully write off the other type of player.
Nani is the one I thought of, perhaps park - but maybe he had inner resolve. I think though that you would find there are few, and for a reason.

A lot have mentioned that Mourinho spoke of trying to adapt to the more sensitive players, yet later in the interview he made it clear that his priority is mentally strong players.

Galactico

Really good watch. Rio is very likeable as a pundit and you feel he has maintained a healthy personal connection with United (much more so than the likes of Scholes). He would make an excellent addition to the coaching staff IMO.

OldTrevil

Nani is the one I thought of, perhaps park - but maybe he had inner resolve. I think though that you would find there are few, and for a reason.

A lot have mentioned that Mourinho spoke of trying to adapt to the more sensitive players, yet later in the interview he made it clear that his priority is mentally strong players.
There would be few for sure, although I think there is a case for these players being more predominant in this era. Mourinho going on earlier about a lot of modern footballers being boys rather than men shows this, which may be part of what made him try to look at other ways. Yes he generally indicated that he is still strongly attached to his ways, but he didn't fully shut the door on working with the difficult type of player. I will like Mourinho more if he improves on his weakness as I think it would help him achieve long term success with United and especially with the academy.

sugar_kane

Fantastic interview.

Love Rio, such a thoughtful, considered character.

I love the end as well, the glee with which Jose talks about only being halfway through his career. It's a nice contrast to Pep's fairly recent talk about quitting management in a few years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
My favourite part, the best quote ever from one manager( and that is why i am huge fan of this guy for years):
"Football is not about enjoying, football is about winning"

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
God I'd love him to be part of the coaching staff. You'd instantly get 10% extra from the team with a personality like him in the dressing room.

AshRK

fecking hell, he is a savage isn't he? Even questioned his father's mentality and confidence as a manager. :lol:
This. People call him cocky, but what I have seen is a winner. And it's not a surprise considering I have seen many top professionals in their are love to be ruthless. You can't always be friendly , cool and trying to kiss people arse.

Jose is a winner and even when chips are down he likes to win and that's what we need. Even at our bad times we are winning multiple trophies and europa is a major trophy whether people like it or not.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Decent interview with two interesting dudes.

You can see the resentment in Jose's eyes when he thinks about players with 'weak mentalities' :eek:

led_scholes

Evans probably. Carrick for about 2 years from 2010 till 2012.

bobglory

great stuff
rio is a true red and what a player he was. jose is a beast and clearly has the desire to take us back where we belong, i will probably get laughed at here but i can see us winning the cl in the next 2 years .

fallengt

Johnny Evans comes to mind. As soon as Fergie retired , some of them clearly dropped their balls. Either that or Fergie had many balls , he shared everyone a pair

Peanut Butter

You can see why we won so much when we had Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo etc in the same dressing room. Natural born winners. Didn't accept second place, they would run through a brick wall for the club and shirt.

This is the type of player Jose wants at the club. You can see Pogba has it, he's going to be a monster.

We have the right man in charge, finally :drool:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You can see why we won so much when we had Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo etc in the same dressing room. Natural born winners. Didn't accept second place, they would run through a brick wall for the club and shirt.
There must've been such a buzz about the place as a player. Just being involved with that, with those players and Fergie, and knowing you were going to be part of something special if you put the effort in. Almost certainly something that immediately went as soon as Moyes started, I imagine. We need that back again.

Peanut Butter

There must've been such a buzz about the place as a player. Just being involved with that, with those players and Fergie, and knowing you were going to be part of something special if you put the effort in. Almost certainly something that immediately went as soon as Moyes started, I imagine. We need that back again.
We will get that back under Jose.

Michael John Doyle

Nice to see Jose being portrayed as an intellectual, down to earth guy and not the chauvinistic a-hole the English media have made him out to be. I think what made me warm to him the most was when he described himself as "NOTHING" when compared to Sir Alex and Sir Bobby. It appears that the magnitude of the managers job here at United has opened his eyes to what being at the helm of a top club, with history and a fan-base that supports their manager (unlike Madrid) is all about. This year has had it's ups and downs but he hit the target set by the board, appeased the fans by winning silverware and started building the foundations of what appears to be a team set for a meteoric rise!!

Also +1 for Rio. Seems like a top bloke who would make a great role model for academy and youth players. I think he has the potential to make a very competent coach be it at club or international level.