Rio Meets Pep Guardiola | BT Sport

Hoof the ball

Neat little interview, but there's one part where Rio is pushing him for details on what Pep didn't like about the City team after the West Brom game in November and what specifically he changed, and some of the detail made me think of us. I really enjoy interviews with Pep; he rarely ever deals in generalities, but enjoys talking tactical specifics. Also, his frankness of opinion about Foden is good to listen to. He doesn't put him on blast, but he does point out areas of improvement.

I've time stamped the link below to the response (1:44), but I'll paste it below, also.

Rio: Can you give us some insight? What was the type of thing that you didn't like?
Pep: We ran too much! We were not in the position. We ran too much; everyone moving right, left, left, right, right, moving without knowing exactly what to do with the ball. Our strength is when we have the ball and everyone knows where they are to meet on the pitch. Everyone wanted to attack in four passes, not ten passes. So quick, everyone was too quick. But you have to change rhythm. If you play high rhythm enough you cannot surprise them.

Last edited:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I enjoyed the interview too. The later part just after the Foden conversation when Rio mentioned 2009 and 2011 CL finals

red4ever 79

Neat little interview, but there's one part where Rio is pushing him for details on what Pep didn't like about the City team after the West Brom game in November and what specifically he changed, and some of the detail made me think of us. I really enjoy interviews with Pep; he rarely ever deals in generalities, but enjoys talking tactical specifics. Also, his frankness of opinion about Foden is good to listen to. He doesn't put him on blast, but he does point out areas of improvement.

I've time stamped the link below to the response (1:44), but I'll paste it below, also.

Hi english has really improved also which is nice to see.

simplyared

Some good questions in there. Rio's a master at it. Great seeing Pep relaxed and sharing openly his thoughts. Rio even got him to admit the CL trophy is his Holy Grail. Saying he loves his life in Manny did surprise me though.

Hoof the ball

Some good questions in there. Rio's a master at it. Great seeing Pep relaxed and sharing openly his thoughts. Rio even got him to admit the CL trophy is his Holy Grail. Saying he loves his life in Manny did surprise me though.
Pep is definitely an over-sharer. I've read both the books by Marti Perarnau and the level of tactical information he dishes out to Marti is unreal. It's practically a scout report, only done by himself and his biographer.

Sylar

He should retire at the end of the season :nervous:

Rio done a good job and pep is always interesting to listen to, even when he's angry

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not watched it yet but Rio is a real talent for interviewing. He’s got a very casual style which relaxes his subject and he’s able to disarm them by being open and honest about his own experiences within football which encourages them to do the same.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s an excellent coach. City are lucky as feck to have him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't want to pine over an oppo manager but he really is such a classy fecker and an incredible manager. Shame we missed out on him.

izec

Pep is a master tactician. The way he described what went wrong against Weat Brom and what Foden has to learn or will learn with age is on point.

kode

Got to love listening to his tactical analysis, unlike Ole he seems to know what he wants to do and doesnt care about what the opponent will try to do. Hate to say it but we may never get our hand on a League title as long as he is here against our nice smily manager

KD6-3.7

The way City planned his appointment years in advance is what we should have been doing. He was the dream appointment for me.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Drops Oasis and not the Smiths, revealing himself as the fraud i always knew he was.
No, such a defensive prick at times in pressers or post-match, he's great to listen to in situations like this, no doubt we would all have lived him here. No doubt.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't want to pine over an oppo manager but he really is such a classy fecker and an incredible manager. Shame we missed out on him.
Yep, he's brilliant. Can't imagine him working with the hierarchy here, or the one at City prior to Abu Dhabi.

pacifictheme

The way he talks about united, think he would have come here if we were competent. Such a feck up.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"The human being has a tendency to relax, and in this team with me, this is not going to happen."

tomaldinho1

Want to dislike him but he just answers the questions directly and openly and his English is pretty much perfect these days. We need more of these types of interview with guys like Ancelotti, Bielsa in fact I’d watch all the PL managers and those abroad as well.

I laughed when he referred to Hodgson as ‘the Crystal Palace manager’ and then, feck me, he’s intense in that clip with kimmich.

I miss scratchy head, pressured Pep.

Chipper

Adulterer.
:lol: ffs.

I always love it when impressionists do Rio and try to make the side-top lip action happen.
That's just brought back a random memory of Nani doing it once, Rio wasn't happy at all.

Was watching one of United's end of season dinners/player of the year ceremonies one year. The cameras are just showing the room before the dinner properly starts when people are mingling with drinks and you can see Nani talking to Anderson with Rio nearby. Nani is taking the piss of Rio's lip, he's moving his hand up and down near his own face and moving his top lip up and down in time to it like a fish caught on a hook sort of thing. Anderson's laughing away but Rio clocks it and next thing he's up in Nani's face pointing and laying the law down, looking angry. :lol:

Can't remember if the media picked up on it or not. I don't think they did , which was weird because it was there for all to see. All you needed was an MUTV subscription and it's the kind of thing I'd have thought they'd have been all over.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very good interview. Pep's a brilliant manager and speaks really well about the game. Another feather in his cap how he turned their season around this year. It's such a shame though after years of us being comfortable having the very best manager in football to have to watch our rivals have them instead.

RedDevilzFox

Pep is the reason we are always chasing City. Not better players or how much money they've spent. We've spent aplenty. 100-150M more or less doesn't change the obvious fact that they have a manager head and shoulder above ours.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good interview. Pep's a brilliant manager and speaks really well about the game. Another feather in his cap how he turned their season around this year. It's such a shame though after years of us being comfortable having the very best manager in football to have to watch our rivals have them instead.
Yeah we always had this comforting "SAF knows the best" line, now City have that and to an extent Liverpool too.

Himannv

Really good interview. Lots of nice little details he mentioned on specific players, his mindset, how he likes football to be played, etc. Comes across as a very likable guy.

tjb

The most interesting aspect of this is, he would have really enjoyed himself at United if we had planned it well. We give a lot of support to our managers, he would have loved that freedom here too. City did an amazing job in setting the stage for him.

His discussion on match rhythm and tempo control speaks volumes too. We don't have a single player who can regulate play for themselves or the team. Don't know when to speed up or slow down pay, get the ball put wide or craft central openings. You don't need to be a maestro to do this, imo any decent midfielder at a top club should be able to do this. Unfortunately for us, aside from Bruno, none of our midfielders that we have had since Sir Alex retired has been able to do this.

tjb

Pep is the reason we are always chasing City. Not better players or how much money they've spent. We've spent aplenty. 100-150M more or less doesn't change the obvious fact that they have a manager head and shoulder above ours.
Pep knowing who he wants and signing the right players also works. Let's be real, his comment on foden on what a midfielder needs to be able to do, City have a bout 4 or 5 who can do that, we have none.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pep knowing who he wants and signing the right players also works. Let's be real, his comment on foden on what a midfielder needs to be able to do, City have a bout 4 or 5 who can do that, we have none.
He coached them into one.

Foden if not playing for city is another luke shaw or even milner.

Not every player needs to be maldini or Xavi. But they can be trained to function in a functioning team if the coach knows what he's doing.

RedDevilzFox

United should look elsewhere and not hand out Ole another contract IMO. Ole has done well all things considered but he is not going to win the league over Pep or Klopp. We need a more inventive manager.

Chelsea are always willing to take a risk in this regard and I admire that somewhat, it usually pays off for them too.

reddevilz007

United should look elsewhere and not hand out Ole another contract IMO. Ole has done well all things considered but he is not going to win the league over Pep or Klopp. We need a more inventive manager.

Chelsea are always willing to take a risk in this regard and I admire that somewhat, it usually pays off for them too.
I keep repeating myself, but i’d take a chance on Xavi. Cannot be worse than Ole.

His Al Sadd side is utterly dominating their league, a bit like Pep’s Barca days, but on a different scale. Look at their youtube highlights, you will never find any teamplays like that under all of Ole’s sides, Molde, Cardiff and us.

Apprentice versus Master. But this club has no ambitions, so Ole will be given an extension. When Woodward says he sees progress, you know this club is runned poorly from top to bottom.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I keep repeating myself, but i’d take a chance on Xavi. Cannot be worse than Ole.

His Al Sadd side is utterly dominating their league, a bit like Pep’s Barca days, but on a different scale. Look at their youtube highlights, you will never find any teamplays like that under all of Ole’s sides, Molde, Cardiff and us.

Apprentice versus Master. But this club has no ambitions, so Ole will be given an extension. When Woodward says he sees progress, you know this club is runned poorly from top to bottom.
I think this place would explode if Manchester United looked to the Qatari league for its next manager.

Bring it on I say!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

Ole's job at Molde is more impressive than what Xavi is doing with Sadd in reality. Not saying Xavi isn't going to be a good manager or anything but context is needed for what he is doing with Al-Sadd.

Xavi isn't really doing that good of job in reality. They have by far the best team since Duhail have regressed massively and have been badly ran in the last couple years. Last season was a massive failure, finishing 3rd as well as losing to a pretty poor Persepolis in AFC. Was an excellent chance for Sadd to win it with how weak their section was. His Sadd team can't defend, always costs them in the bigger games in AFC. They do play some excellent football but they've got Baghdad, Cazorla, Tabata, Guilherme, Tae-Hee, Al Heidos and Abdelkarim along with other solid locals. It's a ridiculously good team with incredible attacking talent and they've always played great attacking football even prior to Xavi being manager. When he took over they were reigning champs and had a goal difference of +78 from 22 games. He's doing a solid job I'd say but it's certainly not overly impressive. They play some great stuff but it's against pretty weak opposition.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Good watch that, always enjoy listening to Pep talk about football. Shame there isn't more interviews like this with managers.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Nice little interview. You can see why his teams are so well drilled. He’s never fully satisfied and expect his players to always get better. The clips with Sterling and Kimmich was interesting. I like Ole but you never see that kind of coaching from him unfortunaly.