Rio Olympics 2016

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

77,000 removed from their homes. A big wall built to block view of the poor areas. And nothing is apparently finished. They have used only 5 contractors for the whole job, all of whom are being investigated for kick backs.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
We talk and hear about what happens in Qatar, and rightly so. But whilst you do hear about Rio occasionally, it's usually in reference to protests which paint the protesters as bad. In reality, there is a dark and grave reality about what is really happening in Rio and IMO it doesn't get put forward enough.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Doesn't even feel like the Olympics is around the corner. A shame really. Supposed to be a worldwide celebration.

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
The Australian team refused to move into itd building because of electrical, cleaning and plumbing problems. It has been reported that the British and New Zealand teams are having similar problems. What a dump.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
As if it's no big deal or anything :lol:

mu77

I've heard nothing good coming from these games. nothing.

starman

With all the troubles going on, were it not for the Zika virus, i would consider going. Rio is amazing. The beach volleyball is going to be :drool:. Not just the Olympic event.

mu77

Because there is nothing good coming from these games. It's a travesty that it's going ahead.

i was talking to a guy from Rio prior to the WC - he was pissed that they were spending on the WC and then the Olympics with no money for the people. it will be a nightmare

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
With all the troubles going on, were it not for the Zika virus, i would consider going. Rio is amazing. The beach volleyball is going to be :drool:. Not just the Olympic event.
I've been to Rio twice and I wouldn't call it amazing, far from it. I found it hard to relax properly worrying for my wife's (who's from Brazil) and little ones safety each time I was there. I think it's a seriously unsafe and unhealthy city.

mu77

bring a stab vest and kidnapping insurance. can you afford a couple of hardmen? they'd be useful. when my friend was in sao paulo coving F1 there they traveled in a convoy had men with guns and never stopped at red lights. Rio will be 10x worse , good luck.

starman

I've been to Rio twice and I wouldn't call it amazing, far from it. I found it hard to relax properly worrying for my wife's (who's from Brazil) and little ones safety each time I was there. I think it's a seriously unsafe and unhealthy city.
50% of the time, i was travelling on my own so didn't have to worry about anyone else, the rest was with some friends. The biggest issue i had we people trying to nick your flipflop when going swimming!

bring a stab vest and kidnapping insurance. can you afford a couple of hardmen? they'd be useful. when my friend was in sao paulo coving F1 there they traveled in a convoy had men with guns and never stopped at red lights. Rio will be 10x worse , good luck.
But you never went....

Been to both places, never encountered any real issues, there are much worse places in Brazil. Heard lots and lots of horror stories before i went. My advise to anyone going is just been extra vigilant and if the area doesn't feel right or the people you are with, then leave.
Plus its during the Olympics, the security presents will be huge. If you have no concerns about zika, for anyone who wants to visit, this is the best time to go in terms of safety.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Lol @ Rio hiding its poverty. That's just a lie. So, finally building a wall in the cities most important fast highway so people don't cross the road is hiding poverty? And its not like it blocks the view from the favelas, my word..

Last edited:

mu77

50% of the time, i was travelling on my own so didn't have to worry about anyone else, the rest was with some friends. The biggest issue i had we people trying to nick your flipflop when going swimming!

But you never went....

Been to both places, never encountered any real issues, there are much worse places in Brazil. Heard lots and lots of horror stories before i went. My advise to anyone going is just been extra vigilant and if the area doesn't feel right or the people you are with, then leave.
Plus its during the Olympics, the security presents will be huge. If you have no concerns about zika, for anyone who wants to visit, this is the best time to go in terms of safety.
I never did but as I said a friend did under heavy security , like I said have fun. The security presence will mean Feck all , the country's skint , who will be paying for this added security? The big name athletes will have it. You'll have a hand with skin on it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can't we have one Olympics thread for the political/organizational/society/poverty issues and one for the actual sports event? I want to enjoy the events and discuss the performances without having to wade through all this debate.

mu77

Can't we have one Olympics thread for the political/organizational/society/poverty issues and one for the actual sports event? I want to enjoy the events and discuss the performances without having to wade through all this debate.
has it started yet?

starman

I never did but as I said a friend did under heavy security , like I said have fun. The security presence will mean Feck all , the country's skint , who will be paying for this added security? The big name athletes will have it. You'll have a hand with skin on it.
Yeah, as i said, heard lot of horror stories before i went... In terms of security, trust me, the police deal with trouble makers with any means possible in protecting tourists, like your friend being protected by armed gunman.

mu77

Yeah, as i said, heard lot of horror stories before i went... In terms of security, trust me, the police deal with trouble makers with any means possible in protecting tourists, like your friend being protected by armed gunman.
private firm hired by Sky. and yes they make baddies disappear don't they.

izec

Tomorrow will be some football games and i like to see some of the talents on show that i have never seen before, mainly the Latin players linked to a move or moving to the top leagues, like Calleri, Jesus, Gabigol, Lozano, Lo Celso, Simeone etc...

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I still cannot watch weightlifting without cringing almost all the time. Not that it's lame sport or anything like that, but always (irrationally) anticipating in fear when they'll break their bones lifting, or dropping all that weight on their feet. Never happens though.

Tribec

IOC have voted to add baseball/softball, karate, surfing, skateboarding and sports climbing to the list of sports for Tokyo at it's session in Rio yesterday. Let the fun begin in 2020 with this lot.

As for the football, it wasn't the greatest game, but I enjoyed the opener between Sweden and South Africa, shame that a keeper error cost the South African's the game. They'd done so well to keep it at 0-0, and the keeper till the goal had done so well. Canada ahead after 20 seconds, I blinked and missed it.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Day -2

Football, Women
Sweden - South Africa 1-0
Canada - Australia 2-0
Brazil - China 3-0
Zimbabwe - Germany 1-6
United States - New Zealand 2-0
France - Colombia 4-0

Day -1 (from 6pm CET - 5pm BST - 1pm Rio)

Football, Men
Iraq - Denmark
Honduras - Algeria
Brazil - South Africa
Mexico - Germany
Portugal - Argentina
Sweden - Colombia
Fiji - South Korea
Nigeria - Japan

Tennis draw was today as well, and some excellent first round matches...at least in men's singles.

Đoković - Del Potro
Murray - Troicki
Nadal - Delbonis
Dimitrov - Čilić
Kohlschreiber - Pella
Ferrer - Istomin
...among others

I'll start by prefacing this by saying he is undoubtedly a tremendous sportsman, and one of Britain's greatest of all time.

But Andy Murray as GB flag-bearer symbolises one of the main things wrong with the modern-day Olympics.

A professional sportsman competing in an event that isn't the pinnacle of his sport.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Irish middleweight boxer Reilly after getting snared for doping. Irish sports council done a test on him not that long ago and got the results there this morning. Rang Reilly straight away over at the Olympic village and said pack your bags buck, you won't be doing any boxing for a while.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I loved it there. Didn't have any kids with me and we only got mugged once. Lots of pickpocket attempts but we didn't have anything in our pockets ever. There were far worse places in South America where we needed chicken wire on our rucksacks to prevent bag slashing.