RIP: George Best

simplyared

So much been said about him and quite rightly so! Just the mention of his name gets us "oldies" going and the adrenaline running. Yesterday we lost imv the GOAT. However in terms of natural talent meaning ability to use both feet, balance, dribble, head the ball, tackle, shoot, you name it he surpasses everyone. He made it look all too easy!

manichester

I was lucky enough to be in the Stretford end in the 1960's as a teenager, wonderful memories of great players. Sadly George and Nobby are no longer with us, to see George Best float across muddy pitches and opposition hatchet men trying to cut him down gives an indication of how good he was.

Thank you Georgie.

dave1956

Not just the muddy pitches, snow and ice covered did not make any difference he was superb, his balance was incredible, if he was playing now on these modern pitches he would be unplayable.

redmanx

Not just the muddy pitches, snow and ice covered did not make any difference he was superb, his balance was incredible, if he was playing now on these modern pitches he would be unplayable.
The name says it all, he was simply The Best, but Denis Law is my all time hero.

MikeeMike

The great star of my United supporting youth, and the best player I've ever seen. An absolute joy to watch.

So strange that Maradona has died on this anniversary. Coincidence seems too weak a word.
I was just too young to have the privilege of watching Best play for utd.

Was at the 1984 game but dont remember much about Maradona performance.

Unparalleled both.

MikeeMike

What an odd thing to post in this particular thread. And you're not even quoting anyone. An all round weird post.
Very weird. Pele has always been self indulgent. Bangs on about 1000+ goals that cannot be verified. Try looking for Pele outside World Cups.
No even close to Best.

Ladron de redcafe

Best was the most talented British player ever, in my opinion. There's a need for most people to want to crown someone from their generation as the greatest, so we tend to see sports fans slightly overhype the great players from their generation and slightly overhype those from generations that preceded theirs.

When i heard people talk about Gascoine in the same breath, i found it laughable. I had the same reaction when Rooney was getting some mentions as the most talented British player ever, as well.

There is such a large gulf in class and skill level between Best and anyone that came out of Britain over the next 60 years that i think most discussions are silly. Having the same individual dominate the debate for a long time gets stale, and the need to find someone new clouds people's objectivity, as far as i see it.

It's 2020 and i still think he was comfortably the best British player ever (and probably in the top 7 or 8 players to have ever played the sport.)

dave1956

For those who never saw him play if you can find it please watch the FA Cup game on the 7.2.1970 against Northampton Town, Utd., won 8 2 and George scored 6. Look at the state of the pitch they played on and it was not exceptional at that time of the year at many grounds, watch his balance, ball control and his movement, he was in my opinion better than Pele. 470 games for Utd., with a return of 179 just over a goal every 2 games.
May I also take this opportunity to mention my school boy hero, at that time Denis Law, had 4 common things with Best. Balance, quick feet, the ability to read a game and the fourth an excetional goal scoring ability which was slightly better than George's, 404 games and 237 goals.

Member 113277

The greatest of all time. I dont care what anyone says.
He was the greatest of all the players I've seen in my lifetime and if you watched him (or go back and watch videos of him), he played in a time when any tackle short of murder was ok, dribbled fantastically well on on pitches that looked as if a herd of pigs had been forraging on them, despite being 5'7"", could head the ball without having to punch it into the net and played the game in a sporting manner.

His name said it all - Best.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave1956

Yes 5 feet 7 inches, but could put himself about when needed, remember one instance Utd., were playing Liverpool, so there was an edge to the game and Ron Yeats ( Liverpool centre half and well over 6feet ) was kicking George when ever he could, he did once to often and George squared up David v Golieth it seemed. George looking up at him gave a little jump and landed a a beautiful punch to his jaw. Yeats goes down and George was off. The point was made though 5 ffet 7 inches but you did not take liberties with him.

Ladron de redcafe

For those who never saw him play if you can find it please watch the FA Cup game on the 7.2.1970 against Northampton Town, Utd., won 8 2 and George scored 6. Look at the state of the pitch they played on and it was not exceptional at that time of the year at many grounds, watch his balance, ball control and his movement, he was in my opinion better than Pele. 470 games for Utd., with a return of 179 just over a goal every 2 games.
May I also take this opportunity to mention my school boy hero, at that time Denis Law, had 4 common things with Best. Balance, quick feet, the ability to read a game and the fourth an excetional goal scoring ability which was slightly better than George's, 404 games and 237 goals.
And if i'm not mistaken, that was his first match back from a long suspension. He scored 6 and made the opposition defenders literally look like amateurs.

With one of the goals, he picked up the ball on the left hand side and went on a diagnol run towards the right side of the pitch, leaving 5 defenders behind, before shooting the ball across the goal towards the goalkeeper's bottom right side corner.

With his last, he dropped a defender and the goalkeeper completely on the floor with just feints and walked the ball into the net.

I would say that it looked as though someone were playing FIFA on amateur difficulty but it looked even easier than that, in all honesty.

MikeeMike

And if i'm not mistaken, that was his first match back from a long suspension. He scored 6 and made the opposition defenders literally look like amateurs.

With one of the goals, he picked up the ball on the left hand side and went on a diagnol run towards the right side of the pitch, leaving 5 defenders behind, before shooting the ball across the goal towards the goalkeeper's bottom right side corner.

With his last, he dropped a defender and the goalkeeper completely on the floor with just feints and walked the ball into the net.

I would say that it looked as though someone were playing FIFA on amateur difficulty but it looked even easier than that, in all honesty.
Well it was an epic display but Northampton T. were in 4th division so probably were amateurs

Ladron de redcafe

Well it was an epic display but Northampton T. were in 4th division so probably were amateurs
Thank you for putting it in perspective. For what it's worh, some of the Benfica defenders in the 1966 QF and in the 1968 European Cup final also looked like amateurs when he ran at them, and those were players at the very top level of European football.

Member 113277

Thank you for putting it in perspective. For what it's worh, some of the Benfica defenders in the 1966 QF and in the 1968 European Cup final also looked like amateurs when he ran at them, and those were players at the very top level of European football.
The one against Northampton was against 4th division defenders, but this one was a year later against a newly promoted Sheff Utd, who were doing well in the 1st division whose players were not amateur standard

GB v Sheff Utd 1971