RIP: George Best

redtilldead123

The best ever Manchester United player - but not the best in the world in my opinion, Pele was more versatile, had a much more all round game and was also more of a team player. Also Pele was not self obsessed and dedicated himself enreily to football.

But each to their own opinion.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The best ever Manchester United player - but not the best in the world in my opinion, Pele was more versatile, had a much more all round game and was also more of a team player. Also Pele was not self obsessed and dedicated himself enreily to football.

I don't see Georgie as self obsessed. His stardom went to his head back in the 60s - which is to be expected, really. He was very young and the whole "superstar" thing was brand new. In later years, though, I don't think "self obsessed" describes Georgie. He had a problem - a very big problem. But he could be very self-deprecating - and witty.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

What a dickish post that was. Wish I was allowed to tell you to feck off

Moriarty

I don't see Georgie as self obsessed. His stardom went to his head back in the 60s - which is to be expected, really. He was very young and the whole "superstar" thing was brand new. In later years, though, I don't think "self obsessed" describes Georgie. He had a problem - a very big problem. But he could be very self-deprecating - and witty.
Met him in a bookies in Green Park years after he retired. I just sauntered up to him and turned into a gibbering idiot. He was happy to just to chat about some of his greatest moments to an overgrown kid of a fan and you're right; he was very witty and self-deprecating. I tried to get him to relive the goal he scored against Benfica at Wembley but he just shrugged. Got his autograph though on a Joe Coral betting slip.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Met him in a bookies in Green Park years after he retired. I just sauntered up to him and turned into a gibbering idiot. He was happy to just to chat about some of his greatest moments to an overgrown kid of a fan and you're right; he was very witty and self-deprecating. I tried to get him to relive the goal he scored against Benfica at Wembley but he just shrugged. Got his autograph though on a Joe Coral betting slip.
That's great to hear. I've heard similar stories about him from others. I only met him in person once, when I was in my teens - and he was drunk then. Not much more to say about that - but even in that state he wasn't unpleasant. Just drunk!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

What an odd thing to post in this particular thread. And you're not even quoting anyone. An all round weird post.

markhrad

My first hero and the reason I support Utd. Lived in Scotland between 66 and '73 Dec. Local team was Hearts but George Best was the hero of every child in my community. My family was struggling with Dad working all over scotland whilst specializing. Many times we ate only porridge for breakfast and baked beans on toast for supper. The reason for this, I found out later, was that I had to have every thing George Best. Bedroom slippers, school shoes ( black pvc with red soles ), training shoes, football boots etc. It seems I was an intolerable brat when it came to George Best.
One night I was at a Beach bar here in St Kitts and my mother called me to ask how I was feeling. I asked why, she said she just heard George Best died. She was two days late but I was shocked she still remembered my feelings for him.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I mentioned this in another thread somewhere but it wont hurt to tell it again.

A number of years ago George came out to NZ to do a speaking engagement which a couple of friends and i went to. At the speaking engagement you could pay $15 for a george Best photo and he would autograph it for you. We had a friend who had his 40th birthday coming up and he was a rabid Liverpool fan who hated Utd. He had his own bit of anfield turf and photos of him at Anfield etc etc etc. Anyway we got George to autograph a photo for this friend Joe. We told George that Joe hated Utd and was a mental Liverpool fan.

At Joe's 40th we gave him the present and he unwrapped it to find a framed photo of George with the following signed on the photo. " To Joe, feck OFF", signed George Best.
Its on Joes wall now, one of his prized possessions.

The Neviller

Absolutely lovely fella. The self obsessed comment from one dickhead in here couldn't be further from the truth. He lived round the corner from me for a while. I'd bump into him in the local, or the corner shop and once in the chippie. A very civil guy, courteous and friendly. In fact he verged on being slightly shy. Certainly not at all full of himself in any way, and completely down to earth.

He'd come into the bar, have an irn bru (he was sober at this stage) and play pool with whoever happened to be there. No airs and graces about him at all. Just a normal guy who chatted away to us as if he'd never been famous at all.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Just reading through the Georgie threads today because of the really fantastic thread about him on RAWK. I always end up crying when I watch the clips of him play and read all the stories about him. He was so special and we are so lucky as a club to be able to say he was ours. Yes, others have better stats. Yes, others did it longer. Yes, others won more. But nobody else has ever made me go all soppy and weepy by kicking a ball about.

If my life was on the line in a hypothetical football match, with the greatest players in the world in every position, and I had to pick one player to play for me, George would be that man. And he would take the fecking piss doing it and I would love it.

Flexdegea

Older I've got the more I appreciate his genius.

Technically never even peaked either.

Love watching shows about him listening to old players talk about how good he was.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
One the few footballers who actually had wit when they spoke. Probably the most naturally gifted player to ever put on the shirt.

Handsome Devil

The poster mentioned this was his favourite memory as a 12 year old kid. Sure there are more impressive feats but this was a personal memory that left an impact.
Well said Stack. I remember that match, it was on Match of the Day and the papers talked about it for weeks. A million kids were over the moon about it and it was a very memorable match in a career loaded with great moments. But, oh no, someone always has to inject a little sourness....

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Older I've got the more I appreciate his genius.

Technically never even peaked either.

Love watching shows about him listening to old players talk about how good he was.
That's the thing about George and the whole era. So many things left unanswered. What could have happened had we rebuilt after 68? players including Alan Ball were desperate to join us

Flexdegea

Yeah total waste he never fulfilled his full potential.

Its Mad even saying he hasnt fulfilled his talent and potential when hes universally recognised as one of the best footballers who ever lived.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I was only 8 or 9 at the time so I may be imagining this but was there talk of George coming out of retirement to play in the 1982 World Cup?

Threesus

Rest in peace George Best.
On a side note, do you think that Sir Matt lost some motivation after finally becoming a European Champion? I think even Best mentioned in his autobiography that it felt like a 'journey complete' rather than the start of a new powerhouse in Europe.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Strange bump?
Strange coincidence that he and Maradona died on the same day.

Maradona was the Argentinian Best

Best was the (Northern) Irish Maradona

If they both shared the pitch in their prime they'd have put on a spectacle. If they had both gone to the pub together they'd have drunk the place dry.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Best british/Irish player of all time. One of the all time greats. Another of my idols growing up - coming from Northern Ireland he was an absolute god. Had the pleasure of meeting him and also saw him play at Windsor in Billy Bingham's testimonial -obviously not in his prime but was just incredible to see him out there and the crowd went insane.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Crazy that Maradona passed away on the same date. 25th of November isn't a good date for football.

When I've gone back to watch older United games, him and Charlton just light up any match they're apart of when they get the ball.

black country red

When on the itv panel during the 74 World Cup when all and sundry where raving about cruyff derek Dougan said cruyff was manufactured on earth George best was a gift from heaven summed up beautifully

redshaw

Hopefully Best and Maradona will be trying to out do each other with a football.

Two of the most talented people with a ball at their feet on a football pitch, like they were born with a gift to play and mesmerize and rather strange it's 15 years to the day from Best to Maradona.

Intheflatfield

Supports
The mighty Red Devils
Saw him play for Fulham against Plymouth Argyle on November 3rd 1976 as my late dad raved about him. It attracted a crowd of 25,000. Never got to see him play for United sadly. Always get goose bumps watching his highlights on Youtube.

RIP George, you were mesmerick, a legend and will never be forgotten. Thank you for the memories.