RIP Harry Gregg

MUM

RIP Harry, condolences to your family and friends. Bravest of the brave you will never be forgotten.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Million times this. May he rest in peace.

"I'm Henry Gregg, 34 Windsor Avenue, who played football. Who was useful at it on good days and rubbish at it on bad days," he said in 2008.
"That's what I want to be remembered for - not something that happened on the spur of the moment."
Sorry Harry, we'll remember you as a player but we can't forget what you did for the club, your teammates and your fellow men and women in '58. If you'd prefer not to be remembered as brave and heroic, how about as a good man as Besty said:

"Bravery is one thing but what Harry did was about more than bravery. It was about goodness."

Pjisared

RIP big man
A true legend of our club and Munich hero.
Never forgotten

RedDevilRoshi

R.I.P. Sir Harry Gregg

Gregg will always be a legend and an absolute hero for what he done. His bravery virtually helped save a number of folk including Sir Bobby Charlton from the wreckage.

Denis' cuff

Off to see his old mates just a few days after the anniversary of the crash.

My first United hero. Once my old fella told me about his heroics in Munich, I bought a “star badge” of Harry on the forecourt.

Remember the day after JFK copped it, United vs Dippers at OT. He broke his collarbone after Ron Yeats barged into him (must’ve been inspired by the Lofthouse barge) Harry had to go off and sit on the bench. Until... he couldn’t sit there any longer watching the lads coping with just 10 men. David Herd had taken his spot in nets and left his own no.9 jersey on the bench. Harry put it on and re-appeared on the pitch playing down the right wing, arm in a sling. No permission from Busby, no checks with the linesman etc... on he went. Mad bastard. Loved him.

voted best keeper in the world after the ‘58 World Cup.
rip Harry, lad.

Saddy

Utd legend and such a humble hero if you listen to any of his accounts of the Munich disaster - pulled out Bobby Charlton and kept going back to pull others out.

RIP and condolences to all his family and friends

Loon

:lol:
Very sad. United through and through and a man of courage and humility.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Very sad news. Harry Gregg was a legend in Northern Ireland and was a total gent.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
A true hero.

We will never ever forget what he did for those survivors and for this club.

May he rest in peace.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Great goalkeeper and above all a great human being in an age where we sadly don’t revere true heroes enough.

Sad day for our Utd family:(

Falcow

R.I.P Harry. There aren't really enough words to describe him.

Off to see his old mates just a few days after the anniversary of the crash.

My first United hero. Once my old fella told me about his heroics in Munich, I bought a “star badge” of Harry on the forecourt.

Remember the day after JFK copped it, United vs Dippers at OT. He broke his collarbone after Ron Yeats barged into him (must’ve been inspired by the Lofthouse barge) Harry had to go off and sit on the bench. Until... he couldn’t sit there any longer watching the lads coping with just 10 men. David Herd had taken his spot in nets and left his own no.9 jersey on the bench. Harry put it on and re-appeared on the pitch playing down the right wing, arm in a sling. No permission from Busby, no checks with the linesman etc... on he went. Mad bastard. Loved him.

voted best keeper in the world after the ‘58 World Cup.
rip Harry, lad.
Wow. What a man. There are not enough words to adequately describe this man. Hero and legend barely cut it.

Rest in peace Harry.

Chicharo

I once wrote this very same thing, but bearing in mind that Harry has passed away, I will write once again.
I am from Serbia, as stated under "location". Mladen Sekularac said several times how he regretted missing the opportunity when Zvezda had the chance to win the second leg. SInce we had won the first leg, and they won the second, the rules were that the third match was to be played which automatically meant that Busby Babes would've never gone to Munich (potential third game was meant to be played in Rome).
Not to mention that we were 3-0 up...
RIP Harry. Never diss our legends (yes, I mean Ole)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sad news!

Him, GB and big norm were the reasons I fell in love with United as a lad from NI getting into football.

Harry was an absolute gentleman off the pitch, owned a hotel in Portstewart and didn’t crave publicity. Voted best gk in the world in 58.

Anyone that hasn’t read his autobiography, I’d recommend it. Love the story of GB being such a pest in a hotel that Gregg went for him, Best locked himself in a room and big Harry stuck his foot right through the door kicking it trying to get at him :lol:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
There will be an awful lot of young fans that do not quite realise just what a loss this is to the United family. Harry Gregg was one of a kind, incredibly brave, a resiliant and humble man, and an absolute hero in the truest sense of the word.

This is a very sad day for the club. RIP Harry.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
An absolute bonafide legend at this club. Thank you for everything.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He twice returned to the burning fuselage and he rescued United team-mates Bobby Charlton and Dennis Viollet from the BEA Flight 609, as well as a 20-month old baby and her badly injured, pregnant mother.

I met him at a Bank many years later and i began a conversation which he gladly reciprocated.
I told him i had the club program for the first game after the crash, against Sheffield Wednesday, which has an EMPTY United line-up.

He asked if we could meet the next day and if i could bring it with me, and I will always remember him reading/viewing the write-ups in silence (what was going through his head at the time?) and i always wonder about this as i'm sure he must have had a copy of that program - i didn't ask but he did tell me to look after this program, which i do ( I framed it) till today.

In all he played 247 times for United, including, incredibly, this same 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday just 13 days after the Munich tragedy.

RIP - Such a wonderful person.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He twice returned to the burning fuselage and he rescued United team-mates Bobby Charlton and Dennis Viollet from the BEA Flight 609, as well as a 20-month old baby and her badly injured, pregnant mother.

I met him at a Bank many years later and i began a conversation which he gladly reciprocated.
I told him i had the club program for the first game after the crash, against Sheffield Wednesday, which has an EMPTY United line-up.

He asked if we could meet the next day and if i could bring it with me, and I will always remember him reading/viewing the write-ups in silence (what was going through his head at the time?) and i always wonder about this as i'm sure he must have had a copy of that program - i didn't ask but he did tell me to look after this program, which i do ( I framed it) till today.

RIP - Such a wonderful person.
That's a touching story @christinaa :( he really was a very fine man.

Giuliano Maiorana

A truly sad day.
I watched the Busby DVD the other day which once again stirred emotions.
A giant of a man. A true gent

RIP Harry x