RIP Harry Gregg

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Listening to him talking about Duncan Edwards and what a player he was!

Utterly captivating

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Such a shame.
We'll never forget his heroism during the Munich disaster.

RIP.

GMoore23

Such a shame.
We'll never forget his heroism during the Munich disaster.

RIP.
Rest In Peace Harry
Really enjoyed the interview he did with MUTV a couple of years back, I could have listened to the man all day.

redshaw

Thanks for the heroics in goal, Harry. May you rest in peace.

pauldyson1uk

RIP Harry , he is a true hero, went back into a burn plane twice to pull people out, with no thought to his own safety.
You are now reunited with your team mates who did not make it out and Sir Matt

diarm

Words like legend and hero get bandied about at times when talking about men who are nothing of the sort.

Harry Gregg was a legend and a hero in every sense of the words. Plenty of men can save goals but it takes someone special to risk everything to save lives.

Rest in peace Harry.

Thepinhead

RIP Harry.

His contribution to our club and his immense bravery during the Munich disaster far surpasses anything one could do on the pitch. An absolute hero who we will forever be immensely thankful to!
I sometimes wonder why he didn't get knighted. I think he deserved it just as much as Sir Bobby Charlton although for different reasons but somehow they are linked since Gregg pretty much saved Sir Bobby Charltons life.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A true hero, and changed the course of history to saving the life of Bobby, no to mention the the others.

RIP Harry, you'll never be forgotten.

dave1956

A fine gentleman and player, unassuming in character and thought of others before himself.

Okey

RIP safe hands. True legend. Rest in even safer hands...

simplyared

He was our GK when I used to go as a lad in the early 60’s. Always tried to get on the fence behind the goals, either Scoreboard or Stretford End. Would watch Harry close-up going through his preparation and that familiar smell of linament when the team came out onto the pitch. He often wore a cap which reminded me of the one my grandad had.

He took on the problem with Best when it started going off the rails. When everyone else was turning a blind eye when Best was doing dinner speaches and ridiculing himself. When everyone else was laughing Harry got upset. He could see the direction it was taking and the seriousness of it. He tried everything he could to get him off the drink. He took on the fatherly figure, yet looking at the outcome I’m sure he must have been very disappointed and sad he couldn’t do anything to stop the downhill spiral.

Carolina Red

Staff
RIP Harry , he is a true hero, went back into a burn plane twice to pull people out, with no thought to his own safety.
You are now reunited with your team mates who did not make it out and Sir Matt

I’ve never seen that before. Got goosebumps just now.

RIP to a hero, the world is a lesser place without him.

Maticmaker

Harry Gregg a true son of United.

Not only for what he did at Munich airport, in 1958 but for the fact that he was a great keeper and after being bundled into the net by Nat Lofthouse's 'charge in the back'' in the 1958 FA final, Harry became a man on a mission to defend his penalty area at all costs and he took no prisoners after that!

Bill Foulkes use to complain he had more bruises on his back from Harry climbing all over him to get to the ball, than from any fouls from the opposition..

Fantastic player and fine man, God Bless RIP Harry!

Last edited:

Jam

“Legend” gets shot around far too often in football.

But Gregg is one of the people who comfortably earn the title with no dispute. A legend of the game, and a legend away from the pitch. The bravery in him to survive a plane crash and immediately begin saving friends, pregnant women and children.

He spent his entire life living and breathing football, and by all accounts was an incredibly loving and generous bloke who gave back everything he could.

He’s different gravy. May he rest in peace and his legacy be forever remembered.

DOM6284

RIP Harry Gregg. He was an absolute hero and his actions on the 6th February 1958 should never be forgotten.

Without him there may have been no European Cup win in 1968 and the Manchester United we all know and love may not have happened. I think Harry Gregg deserves some sort of permanent memorial at OT in appreciation of his service to Manchester United. I'm thinking of setting up a page on change.org in order to lobby the club to install such a tribute. However, I would like some feedback first, as to if other Caftards think it's a good idea. Thanks.